PDA

View Full Version : My cat

Lucky
October 29th 09, 04:29 AM
A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. The
tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" He would eat
anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. However, I thought he
had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. Last month, he
started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
thin and almost fell over he was so weak. I took him to the emergency
room, and they told me he was very sick. They said they felt a
intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
bathroom for several days. They advised me to either put him to sleep
or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. I had
to let him go.
Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. I have
another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
(even soap). I am so worried that I made him sick. Although, his
symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... He
didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. He just threw-up which
was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
poisoned?? Thank you

Petzl
October 29th 09, 04:46 AM
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
> wrote:

>A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
>was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. The
>tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
>His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
>think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" He would eat
>anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. However, I thought he
>had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. Last month, he
>started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
>thin and almost fell over he was so weak. I took him to the emergency
>room, and they told me he was very sick. They said they felt a
>intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
>bathroom for several days. They advised me to either put him to sleep
>or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. I had
>to let him go.
>Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
>got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. I have
>another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
>the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
>(even soap). I am so worried that I made him sick. Although, his
>symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... He
>didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. He just threw-up which
>was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
>unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
>Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
>symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
>poisoned?? Thank you

You have just lost a good friend, not nice and sad
I always thought a cats life expectancy was around 12?
My present cat is 22 and although its spine feels bony (bad sign means
it's on it's way out) still active though

Petzl

Petzl
October 29th 09, 04:54 AM
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:22 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
> wrote:

>"Lucky" > wrote in message
>> Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
>> got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen.
>
>All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
>isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
>exterminator. I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
>But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
>but good canned food.

Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
them)
For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
become thousands)
http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html

Petzl
A good

Lucky
October 29th 09, 05:00 AM
On Oct 28, 9:54*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:22 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
>
> > wrote:
>
> >"Lucky" > wrote in message
> >> Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
> >> got sick. *I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen.
>
> >All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
> >isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
> >exterminator. *I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
> >But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
> >but good canned food.
>
> Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
> controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
> them)
> For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
> good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
> become thousands)http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html
>
> Petzl
> A good

Petzl, thank you. I lost the best friend. It was one of the hardest
days of my life. I guess there is a reason, I didn't mention the Raid
question that day, and the Vet never suspected poisoning. She said
she thought he had a mass and probably cancer. Do you think I should
call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
should I let it go since he is gone now?

Petzl
October 29th 09, 05:08 AM
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:00:52 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
> wrote:

>Do you think I should
>call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
>should I let it go since he is gone now?

No
I doubt Raid will harm poison anything except insects
Your cat had the best life one could give
Don't know why mine is still alive at 22 but most cats succumb around
12 years old no mater what you do.
Sorry for you loss of a good faithful friend
Petzl

Lucky
October 29th 09, 05:32 AM
On Oct 28, 10:08*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 22:00:52 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
>
> > wrote:
> >Do you think I should
> >call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
> >should I let it go since he is gone now?
>
> No
> I doubt Raid will harm poison anything except insects
> Your cat had the best life one could give
> Don't know why mine is still alive at 22 but most cats succumb around
> 12 years old no mater what you do.
> Sorry for you loss of a good faithful friend
> Petzl

Thank you so much for a little peace of mind. That's great you have a
22 yr old cat. I hope my other 2 animals live that long - it's too
difficult seeing them go. I think in my heart I believe he had
cancer. several yrs ago he ate a little bit of a poisettia, and I
took him to the vet. He had so much diarhea, and acted different when
he had poisoning, than this time. Then with all the symptoms last
year - I think he probably had cancer last yr and it wasn't detected.
Because the test was negative and he seemed to be getting better
(stomach fluid went down), I didn't think he needed to go in for more
tests. I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
much - he was a very cool cat. Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
( I miss him.

cybercat
October 29th 09, 05:56 AM
"Lucky" > wrote in

>I just feel horrible about his
death. I loved him so much. I found him in a pound 13 yrs ago. and
bonded instantly. I will never be able to replace him.

I'm so sorry for your loss. You didn't do anything wrong it was just his
time to go. The love you built together will be there always. He was a lucky
cat. Be good to yourself now. You were certainly good to him.

cybercat
October 29th 09, 05:58 AM
"Lucky" > wrote
tests. I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
much - he was a very cool cat. Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
( I miss him.)

Do you have some pictures you might put up on a web site, then put the link
here? I would love to see photos of him. He sounds very cool. I know he
loved you so much too. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Lucky
October 29th 09, 06:12 AM
On Oct 28, 10:58*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lucky" > wrote
> tests. *I just pray that he had a peaceful life, and I loved him so
> much - he was a very cool cat. *Sadly, 12-14 yrs is not long enough :
> ( *I miss him.)
>
> Do you have some pictures you might put up on a web site, then put the link
> here? I would love to see photos of him. He sounds very cool. I know he
> loved you so much too. *I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you... I am organizing some photos and will see if I can post
some here. He was so sweet. He was a tabby cat. There were cuter
kittens at the pound when I found him and everyone tried to get me to
choose another one, but when I held him he never tried to jump out of
my arms like the other cats. At the vet, the nurse commented what a
little lover he was. He was also so special and smart. I was lucky
to have found him and thank you for your kind note. I think the bond
w/ a cat like that is as strong as any relationship. We did build a
lasting love connection and I'm grateful and feel better knowing that
I took care of him the best I could the last 13 yrs. Will probably
always miss him...

FirstHit
October 29th 09, 11:34 AM
On Oct 28, 10:00*pm, Lucky > wrote:
> On Oct 28, 9:54*pm, Petzl > wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:22 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
>
> > > wrote:

> > >All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
> > >isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
> > >exterminator. *I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
> > >But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
> > >but good canned food.
>
> > Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
> > controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
> > them)
> > For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
> > good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
> > become thousands)http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html
>
> > Petzl
> > A good
>
> Petzl, thank you. *I lost the best friend. *It was one of the hardest
> days of my life. *I guess there is a reason, I didn't mention the Raid
> question that day, and the Vet never suspected poisoning. *She said
> she thought he had a mass and probably cancer. *Do you think I should
> call her and ask if he showed any symptoms of Raid Poisoning, or
> should I let it go since he is gone now?

I'm very sorry about your cat. Focus on the wonderful memories of
your cat. Try not to focus too much on guilt, as it can actually
interfere with the grieving process. Most likely the Raid was not the
cause of death anyway.

You might want to read some of the posts over at the following
newsgroup:
alt.support.grief.pet-loss

You might also want to memorialize your cat. When my cat died
recently, I blew some pictures up and hung them on the wall. Also, I
wrote down my many memories with her. I found that very therapeutic.

FirstHit

dgk
October 29th 09, 11:58 AM
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
> wrote:

>A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
>was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. The
>tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
>His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
>think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" He would eat
>anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. However, I thought he
>had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. Last month, he
>started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
>thin and almost fell over he was so weak. I took him to the emergency
>room, and they told me he was very sick. They said they felt a
>intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
>bathroom for several days. They advised me to either put him to sleep
>or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. I had
>to let him go.
>Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
>got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. I have
>another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
>the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
>(even soap). I am so worried that I made him sick. Although, his
>symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... He
>didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. He just threw-up which
>was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
>unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
>Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
>symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
>poisoned?? Thank you

I wouldn't spray Raid or anything like that around where my cats could
get at it. I'd worry about poisioning but that would be something
acute, not chronic. It is really unlikely that your cat died from
Raid- they do get cancer and heart disease and such. Most of my cats
don't make it pass 12.

By the way, look at this:

http://www.unexco.com/roach1.html

He says not to use sprays, they just push roaches into new areas. The
bait traps are the thing.

Lucky
October 30th 09, 04:52 AM
On Oct 29, 4:58*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
>

> > wrote:
> >A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
> >was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. *The
> >tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
> >His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
> >think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" *He would eat
> >anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. *However, I thought he
> >had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. *Last month, he
> >started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
> >thin and almost fell over he was so weak. *I took him to the emergency
> >room, and they told me he was very sick. *They said they felt a
> >intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
> >bathroom for several days. *They advised me to either put him to sleep
> >or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. *I had
> >to let him go.
> >Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
> >got sick. *I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. *I have
> >another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
> >the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
> >(even soap). *I am so worried that I made him sick. *Although, his
> >symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... *He
> >didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. *He just threw-up which
> >was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
> >unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
> >Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
> >symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
> >poisoned?? *Thank you
>
> I wouldn't spray Raid or anything like that around where my cats could
> get at it. I'd worry about poisioning but that would be something
> acute, not chronic. It is really unlikely that your cat died from
> Raid- they do get cancer and heart disease and such. Most of my cats
> don't make it pass 12.
>
> By the way, look at this:
>
> http://www.unexco.com/roach1.html
>
> He says not to use sprays, they just push roaches into new areas. The
> bait traps are the thing.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for responding and kind words. It really helped more
than I expected and I'm glad I stumbled onto this site. The vet
actually called me back today and left me a voice mail. She said that
she took some of the fluid out of Wolfie's stomach after he passed
away, and that she thought he had an abscess that had ruptured, and
also that he had a tumor although she did not do an autopsy. She said
there was nothing I could've done to prevent all that was going on
with him. She said the bug spray was probably not the reason he
became so ill. Well, I got him in 1996 - 13 yrs ago, and he was a
little bigger than most of the kittens so he could have been around 14
yrs old. That is a long life. I will write something for him and
send it to you all. Thanks so much for the support.

Lucky
October 30th 09, 05:00 AM
On Oct 29, 4:58*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
>

> > wrote:
> >A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
> >was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. *The
> >tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
> >His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
> >think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" *He would eat
> >anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. *However, I thought he
> >had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. *Last month, he
> >started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
> >thin and almost fell over he was so weak. *I took him to the emergency
> >room, and they told me he was very sick. *They said they felt a
> >intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
> >bathroom for several days. *They advised me to either put him to sleep
> >or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. *I had
> >to let him go.
> >Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
> >got sick. *I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. *I have
> >another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
> >the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
> >(even soap). *I am so worried that I made him sick. *Although, his
> >symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... *He
> >didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. *He just threw-up which
> >was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
> >unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
> >Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
> >symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
> >poisoned?? *Thank you
>
> I wouldn't spray Raid or anything like that around where my cats could
> get at it. I'd worry about poisioning but that would be something
> acute, not chronic. It is really unlikely that your cat died from
> Raid- they do get cancer and heart disease and such. Most of my cats
> don't make it pass 12.
>
> By the way, look at this:
>
> http://www.unexco.com/roach1.html
>
> He says not to use sprays, they just push roaches into new areas. The
> bait traps are the thing.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the article. That is my problem, I live in a condo, and my
kitchen is infested w/ roaches....

FirstHit
October 30th 09, 06:21 AM
On Oct 29, 10:00*pm, Lucky > wrote:
> On Oct 29, 4:58*am, dgk > wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
>
> > > wrote:
> > >A year ago, my 12-13 year old cat's stomach was bloated w/ fluid (he
> > >was otherwise very thin by nature) and the vet suspected cancer. *The
> > >tests came back neg., and they put him on a low cal diet and Rutin.
> > >His stomach went down, but he did vomit a little more than normal I
> > >think, and he continue to have a "ravenous appetite" *He would eat
> > >anything, jump on counters, lick plants etc. *However, I thought he
> > >had gotten better so I never took him back to the vet. *Last month, he
> > >started hiding in the house, and then he walked in the room and was so
> > >thin and almost fell over he was so weak. *I took him to the emergency
> > >room, and they told me he was very sick. *They said they felt a
> > >intestinal mass, dehydrated and hard feces like he had not used the
> > >bathroom for several days. *They advised me to either put him to sleep
> > >or costly treatment that wold be difficult for a cat his age. *I had
> > >to let him go.
> > >Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
> > >got sick. *I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen. *I have
> > >another cat and a dog and they are not sick, but my cat that died, is
> > >the only one who would jump on the counters and eat anything in sight
> > >(even soap). *I am so worried that I made him sick. *Although, his
> > >symptoms above all indicate more like cancer or something... *He
> > >didn't have diarea or seizures or anything. *He just threw-up which
> > >was normal and hid away with no energy, lost appetite (which was
> > >unusual) and stopped using the bathroom.
> > >Does anyone have any information on this and by reading about his
> > >symptoms and behavious do you think he had a disease or was he
> > >poisoned?? *Thank you
>
> > I wouldn't spray Raid or anything like that around where my cats could
> > get at it. I'd worry about poisioning but that would be something
> > acute, not chronic. It is really unlikely that your cat died from
> > Raid- they do get cancer and heart disease and such. Most of my cats
> > don't make it pass 12.
>
> > By the way, look at this:
>
> >http://www.unexco.com/roach1.html
>
> > He says not to use sprays, they just push roaches into new areas. The
> > bait traps are the thing.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the article. *That is my problem, I live in a condo, and my
> kitchen is infested w/ roaches....

Have you ever tried boric acid to get rid of the roaches? It is quite
effective and is pretty safe for you. You sprinkle it in and near the
cracks where the roaches come in and out of your kitchen and rooms.
The roaches get it on themselves and take it back to their nests. As
I recall, it dries them up.

FirstHit

Petzl
October 30th 09, 06:24 AM
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:00:37 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
> wrote:

>> http://www.unexco.com/roach1.html
>>
>> He says not to use sprays, they just push roaches into new areas. The
>> bait traps are the thing.- Hide quoted text -
>>
>Thanks for the article. That is my problem, I live in a condo, and my
>kitchen is infested w/ roaches....

For Australian conditions raid or mortein Automatic is effective
In 24 hours only equates to a 5 second spray
needs 6 foot from floor no closer to ceiling than 2 foot

cybercat
October 30th 09, 03:38 PM
"Lucky" > wrote

>Thanks for the article. That is my problem, I live in a condo, and my
>kitchen is infested w/ roaches....

Those traps work great. When the weather gets cold, we get those big black
ones, and occasionally see the little ones, which I think are much more
evil. I put the traps down two weeks ago and have not seen a single roach.

cybercat
October 30th 09, 03:45 PM
"Lucky" > wrote in message
On Oct 29, 4:58 am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:29:08 -0700 (PDT), Lucky
>

>Thanks everyone for responding and kind words. It really helped more
>than I expected and I'm glad I stumbled onto this site.

We're glad you're here, too.

>The vet
>actually called me back today and left me a voice mail. She said that
>she took some of the fluid out of Wolfie's stomach after he passed
>away, and that she thought he had an abscess that had ruptured, and
>also that he had a tumor although she did not do an autopsy. She said
>there was nothing I could've done to prevent all that was going on
>with him. She said the bug spray was probably not the reason he
>became so ill.

Yes, though it is best not to use strong chemical pesticides or cleaners
around cats, what you are doing is what we all do when we lose a pet. You
worry that you did something to cause ill health, but chances are you did
not. When our cat Boo died from oral cancer I thought the carpet cleaner my
husband used down where she hung out a lot might have caused it, simply
based upon my disgust with the stuff. (That strong-scented powder you put on
the rug and vacuum up? Instead of properly steam cleaning the rug?) But the
fact is, many things may have caused her oral cancer including hereditary
factors. Like you, just in case, we are never using that stuff again.

>Well, I got him in 1996 - 13 yrs ago, and he was a
>little bigger than most of the kittens so he could have been around 14
>yrs old. That is a long life. I will write something for him and
>send it to you all. Thanks so much for the support.

Our Boo only lived to be 14, and by 11 she had heart and thyroid disease.
Like people, some just start out stronger than others. My cat that lived to
be 18-20 never had any kind of ailment until she just stopped eating and
nothing could induce her to start. She died with every single one of her
teeth, too and she never once had a dental. (I could not afford one, as a
college student, and also worried about the fact that they use anesthesia
and some cats don't come out of it.)

Looking forward to pictures and stories, and hoping one day you will be able
to open your heart to another deserving kitty who needs you.

Kelly Greene
November 2nd 09, 05:05 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 23:43:22 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Lucky" > wrote in message
>>> Now, I am so worried about something I had not thought of before he
>>> got sick. I had been spraying Raid all summer in my kitchen.
>>
>>All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
>>isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
>>exterminator. I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
>>But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
>>but good canned food.
>
> Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
> controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
> them)
> For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
> good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
> become thousands)
> http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html
>
> Petzl
> A good

I wouldn't use these chemicals in my house with pets or small children
around. There are harmless hormones to treat a flea infestation. It keeps
the larvae from developing into adult fleas. In no time at all you have a
flea free home. Boric acid will get rid of roaches. I'm sure you can find
it locally or online.

Petzl
November 2nd 09, 08:37 PM
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 23:05:42 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
wrote:

>>>All me to suggest you find another solution to your insect problem. Raid
>>>isn't something you want to spray on kitchen counters. Perhaps call an
>>>exterminator. I'm not a vet so have no idea what your cat's problem was.
>>>But a cat eating soap sounds like it needed more food. Not dry cereal food
>>>but good canned food.
>>
>> Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
>> controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
>> them)
>> For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
>> good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
>> become thousands)
>> http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html
>>
>> Petzl
>
>I wouldn't use these chemicals in my house with pets or small children
>around. There are harmless hormones to treat a flea infestation. It keeps
>the larvae from developing into adult fleas. In no time at all you have a
>flea free home. Boric acid will get rid of roaches. I'm sure you can find
>it locally or online.

Yep Boric Acid works a very thin film of powder in spots/target areas
if kept dry will work for years. It is slow acting (5 to 10 days)but
effective

Petzl

Petzl
November 13th 09, 08:40 AM
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:35:55 -0800 (PST), Lucky
> wrote:

>I would do anything to have known
>he was so sick and I too would've paid for his treatment even if it
>was going to be $2,200. Has anyone had feelings of guilt, like you
>let your pet down and let them die.... I feel terrible and I miss him
>so much.

Fact is the if the Vet you took your cat to felt he/she could have
give the cat a few more healthy years he/she would have.
We himans in pain have to sit it out
Petzl
--
Question - When you apply for Welfare in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Somalia, Sri-Lanka, or India, what does that Government give you?
Answer - A map of Australia

TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT
Pensioner $16,068.00
Refugee $56,680.00

Lucky
November 14th 09, 06:24 AM
On Nov 13, 12:40*am, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:35:55 -0800 (PST), Lucky
>
> > wrote:
> >I would do anything to have known
> >he was so sick and I too would've paid for his treatment even if it
> >was going to be $2,200. *Has anyone had feelings of guilt, like you
> >let your pet down and let them die.... *I feel terrible and I miss him
> >so much.
>
> Fact is the if the Vet you took your cat to felt he/she could have
> give the cat a few more healthy years he/she would have.
> We himans in pain have to sit it out
> Petzl
> --
> Question - When you apply for Welfare in Pakistan, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Somalia, Sri-Lanka, or India, what does that Government give you?
> Answer - A map of Australia
>
> TOTAL YEARLY BENEFIT
> Pensioner $16,068.00
> Refugee $56,680.00

Thank you all so much. It's very thearaputic for me to hear. And,
you are so right that if I didn't feel bad about letting him go, I
would have felt bad for putting him thru treatments - and watching him
undoubtedly suffer more. Maybe, I should think of it that way when I
start feeling guilty about not taking him to the vet over the last
year. Maybe they would have suggested that I put him to sleep sooner
than I did, and I wouldn't have had the whole year last year w/ him,
and maybe was just his time to go. He did look at me a few days
before and I think he was trying to tell me how sick he was.
Definitely, I think the experience I had w/ him was so close at the
end - it makes me think how trivial other problems w/ human beings can
be. I learned so much from my little cat! I miss his strength and my
other little animals who are more "baby acting" then he ever was, have
been crying more when I come home and my dog was howling the other
day. It's sad, but I think Wolfie was really the strong one around
here.....

cybercat
November 14th 09, 07:44 AM
"Lucky" > wrote
>Definitely, I think the experience I had w/ him was so close at the
>end - it makes me think how trivial other problems w/ human beings can
>be. I learned so much from my little cat! I miss his strength and my
>other little animals who are more "baby acting" then he ever was, have
>been crying more when I come home and my dog was howling the other
>day. It's sad, but I think Wolfie was really the strong one around
>here.....

Wolfie was clearly lucky to be your cat.

Kelly Greene
November 14th 09, 05:31 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> time.
>
> He lived six more months, but I think he suffered the whole time. I
> should have just let him go. I've vowed that the next time this
> happens I will not force my cat to suffer because I can't bear to let
> him go. So, I shall undoubtably feel horrible that I didn't do enough.

Well said. I would never put another cat through what Lucky went through. We
knew there was more wrong with her than an every-day inner ear infection.
She suffered because we didn't want to let her go. How selfish of
us........ :*(

Kelly Greene
November 14th 09, 05:39 PM
"Lucky" > wrote in message

Thank you... I am organizing some photos and will see if I can post
some here. He was so sweet. He was a tabby cat. There were cuter
kittens at the pound when I found him and everyone tried to get me to
choose another one, but when I held him he never tried to jump out of
my arms like the other cats. At the vet, the nurse commented what a
little lover he was. He was also so special and smart. I was lucky
to have found him and thank you for your kind note. I think the bond
w/ a cat like that is as strong as any relationship. We did build a
lasting love connection and I'm grateful and feel better knowing that
I took care of him the best I could the last 13 yrs. Will probably
always miss him...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :*(

Kelly Greene
November 14th 09, 05:41 PM
"Petzl" > wrote in message

>>> Doubt if insect killer like Raid is a problem (Advantage or other flea
>>> controls are poisonous/deadly but needed and care must be taken using
>>> them)
>>> For house the automated Raid type (or your favorite brand) are VERY
>>> good stops flea infestations which are real pet killers (one flea can
>>> become thousands)
>>> http://www.raidautomatic.com.au/micromist.html
>>>
>>> Petzl
>>
>>I wouldn't use these chemicals in my house with pets or small children
>>around. There are harmless hormones to treat a flea infestation. It keeps
>>the larvae from developing into adult fleas. In no time at all you have a
>>flea free home. Boric acid will get rid of roaches. I'm sure you can find
>>it locally or online.
>>
> Yep Boric Acid works a very thin film of powder in spots/target areas
> if kept dry will work for years. It is slow acting (5 to 10 days)but
> effective
>
> Petzl

And it's relatively safe. I used it for years when I lived in the city where
roaches from adjoining apartments or homes were a constant threat.

dgk
November 17th 09, 12:58 PM
On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:31:56 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> time.
>>
>> He lived six more months, but I think he suffered the whole time. I
>> should have just let him go. I've vowed that the next time this
>> happens I will not force my cat to suffer because I can't bear to let
>> him go. So, I shall undoubtably feel horrible that I didn't do enough.
>>

>Well said. I would never put another cat through what Lucky went through. We
>knew there was more wrong with her than an every-day inner ear infection.
>She suffered because we didn't want to let her go. How selfish of
>us........ :*(

Selfish? Spending tons of money trying to figure out what is wrong
with a new cat? Nope. It just underscores that you can't win either
way so there's no point in feeling bad.

cybercat
November 17th 09, 08:09 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:31:56 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> > wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>> time.
>>>
>>> He lived six more months, but I think he suffered the whole time. I
>>> should have just let him go. I've vowed that the next time this
>>> happens I will not force my cat to suffer because I can't bear to let
>>> him go. So, I shall undoubtably feel horrible that I didn't do enough.
>>>

>>Well said. I would never put another cat through what Lucky went through.
>>We
>>knew there was more wrong with her than an every-day inner ear infection.
>>She suffered because we didn't want to let her go. How selfish of
>>us........ :*(
>
> Selfish? Spending tons of money trying to figure out what is wrong
> with a new cat? Nope. It just underscores that you can't win either
> way so there's no point in feeling bad.

It was kind to try to save her.

Lucky
November 18th 09, 07:06 AM
On Nov 13, 11:44*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Lucky" > wrote
>
> >Definitely, I think the experience I had w/ him was so close at the
> >end - it makes me think how trivial other problems w/ human beings can
> >be. *I learned so much from my little cat! *I miss his strength and my
> >other little animals who are more "baby acting" then he ever was, have
> >been crying more when I come home and my dog was howling the other
> >day. *It's sad, but I think Wolfie was really the strong one around
> >here.....
>
> Wolfie was clearly lucky to be your cat.

Thank you...:( I appreciate that sentiment and it helps so much to
hear.

FirstHit
November 22nd 09, 07:37 AM
On Nov 17, 11:06*pm, Lucky > wrote:
> On Nov 13, 11:44*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "Lucky" > wrote
>
> > >Definitely, I think the experience I had w/ him was so close at the
> > >end - it makes me think how trivial other problems w/ human beings can
> > >be. *I learned so much from my little cat! *I miss his strength and my
> > >other little animals who are more "baby acting" then he ever was, have
> > >been crying more when I come home and my dog was howling the other
> > >day. *It's sad, but I think Wolfie was really the strong one around
> > >here.....
>
> > Wolfie was clearly lucky to be your cat.
>
> Thank you...:( *I appreciate that sentiment and it helps so much to
> hear.

You might want to check out
http://www.mycemetery.com/pet/index.html
It's a site where people have written epitaphs for their beloved
pets. I found reading them to be comforting. Someday I might add an
epitaph there myself for the angel I lost not too long ago. You might
want to also.

Some of the epitaphs speak of regrets or feelings of guilt over their
departed pets. The epitaph for "Velvet" at plot 11 was moving for me:
http://www.mycemetery.com/pet/plot_11.html

FirstHit