PDA

View Full Version : Change Clocks Again


Kyla `=^..^=`
October 30th 09, 09:50 PM
It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
Purrs
Kyla
needing that xtra hour of sleep

Stormmee
October 30th 09, 11:04 PM
i so hope they quit this soon... i mean i love the exrtre hour now but hate
giving it up in the spring, Lee

--
Have a wonderful day

"Kyla `=^..^=`" > wrote in message
...
> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
> Purrs
> Kyla
> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>
>

Jack Campin - bogus address
October 30th 09, 11:18 PM
"Kyla `=^..^=`" > wrote:
> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.

You're a week late.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Gandalf
October 30th 09, 11:45 PM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
> wrote:

>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>Purrs
>Kyla
>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>

My computer clock changed last weekend!

I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
be dark by 5:30PM :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<

"Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."
-TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.

Every day is a treasure with Kenzie; I try to treat them that way. There
will only be so many, and then there will never, ever, be any more.

How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
- Robert Heinlein

Joy
October 30th 09, 11:50 PM
"Gandalf" > wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
> > wrote:
>
>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>Purrs
>>Kyla
>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>
>
> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>
> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<
>
> "Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."
> -TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.
>
> Every day is a treasure with Kenzie; I try to treat them that way. There
> will only be so many, and then there will never, ever, be any more.
>
> How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
> - Robert Heinlein

I don't even care whether it's DST or not. I just wish they'd pick a time
and leave it there, rather than switching around.

Joy

October 30th 09, 11:52 PM
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

> "Kyla `=^..^=`" > wrote:
>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.

> You're a week late.

It's done on different weekends in different countries. In the US,
it's this weekend.

Joyce

--
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein

MLB[_2_]
October 31st 09, 12:23 AM
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
> Purrs
> Kyla
> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>
>
Thanks again. I thought of it a couple of days ago, but haven't thought
of it since then. MLB

MLB[_2_]
October 31st 09, 12:25 AM
Joy wrote:
> "Gandalf" > wrote in message
> ...
>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>> Purrs
>>> Kyla
>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>
>> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<
>>
>> "Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."
>> -TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.
>>
>> Every day is a treasure with Kenzie; I try to treat them that way. There
>> will only be so many, and then there will never, ever, be any more.
>>
>> How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
>> - Robert Heinlein
>
> I don't even care whether it's DST or not. I just wish they'd pick a time
> and leave it there, rather than switching around.
>
> Joy
>
>

Me too! MLB

Jofirey
October 31st 09, 12:32 AM
"Joy" > wrote in message
...
> "Gandalf" > wrote in message
> ...
>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>forgot.
>>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>Purrs
>>>Kyla
>>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>>
>> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>
>> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks,
>> it will
>> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>>
While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8 AM
either.

I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would require
sending kids off to school in the dark.

I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the entire
population into not knowing the time of day.

Jo

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 01:24 AM
"MLB"
> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>> Purrs
>> Kyla
>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>
>>
> Thanks again. I thought of it a couple of days ago, but haven't thought
> of it since then. MLB

I too wish they would leave time alone, and I also posted this a day earlier
than I should have. DUH. Don't re-set it till Sunday.

It's only Friday now, and yes, I'm an idiot, who feels like I'm coming down
with the flu :/ Sorry about the mix-up.
It's almost November already? Geez.
Heavy wind/rain storm about to happen in Wash State.
Kyla
the twirp

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 01:27 AM
"MLB"
> Joy wrote:
>> "Gandalf" >>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>>> <
>>>
>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>> Purrs
>>>> Kyla
>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>
>>> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>>
>>> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>>> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~ >^..^<
>>>
>>> "Life without cats would be only marginally worth living."
>>> -TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.
>>>
>>> Every day is a treasure with Kenzie; I try to treat them that way. There
>>> will only be so many, and then there will never, ever, be any more.
>>>
>>> How you behave towards cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
>>> - Robert Heinlein
>>
>> I don't even care whether it's DST or not. I just wish they'd pick a
>> time and leave it there, rather than switching around.
>>
>> Joy
>
> Me too! MLB

Me too!!!. Kyla

Jofirey
October 31st 09, 01:36 AM
"Kyla `=^..^=`" > wrote in message
...
>
> "MLB"
>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>> forgot.
>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>> Purrs
>>> Kyla
>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>>>
>> Thanks again. I thought of it a couple of days ago, but haven't
>> thought of it since then. MLB
>
> I too wish they would leave time alone, and I also posted this a
> day earlier than I should have. DUH. Don't re-set it till
> Sunday.
>
> It's only Friday now, and yes, I'm an idiot, who feels like I'm
> coming down with the flu :/ Sorry about the mix-up.
> It's almost November already? Geez.
> Heavy wind/rain storm about to happen in Wash State.
> Kyla
> the twirp
>
>
Hey, Charlie and I have both been arguing about whether it is
Saturday or Sunday when in fact for all intents and purposes we both
mean the same thing. It's sometime between when we go to sleep
Saturday night and get up Sunday morning.

And your post was in fact the first place I've seen anything about
the time change for this fall.

Jo

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 04:07 AM
"Jofirey"
>
> "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>> "MLB"
>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>> Purrs
>>>> Kyla
>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Thanks again. I thought of it a couple of days ago, but haven't thought
>>> of it since then. MLB
>>
>> I too wish they would leave time alone, and I also posted this a day
>> earlier than I should have. DUH. Don't re-set it till Sunday.
>>
>> It's only Friday now, and yes, I'm an idiot, who feels like I'm coming
>> down with the flu :/ Sorry about the mix-up.
>> It's almost November already? Geez.
>> Heavy wind/rain storm about to happen in Wash State.
>> Kyla
>> the twirp
>>
>>
> Hey, Charlie and I have both been arguing about whether it is Saturday or
> Sunday when in fact for all intents and purposes we both mean the same
> thing. It's sometime between when we go to sleep Saturday night and get
> up Sunday morning.

Yeah, I know what you mean. This whole time thing is 'ticking' me off.
>
> And your post was in fact the first place I've seen anything about the
> time change for this fall.
>
> Jo

Really? Thank you :)
I saw a very brief bit on Yahoo News, but other than that, nothin.
My Kitty calendar confirms it. And so does the kitty.
Kyla
in a time warp
>

jmcquown[_2_]
October 31st 09, 10:56 AM
"Joy" > wrote in message
...
> "Gandalf" > wrote in message
> ...
>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>Purrs
>>>Kyla
>>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>>
>> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>
>> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>>
>
> I don't even care whether it's DST or not. I just wish they'd pick a time
> and leave it there, rather than switching around.
>
> Joy
>

Everyone I know feels this way. I don't know why the government won't do
away with this archaic practice.

Jill

Cheryl[_5_]
October 31st 09, 11:17 AM
Jofirey wrote:

> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8 AM either.
>
> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would require
> sending kids off to school in the dark.
>
> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the entire
> population into not knowing the time of day.

It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight time so
everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the howls of protests
(especially from parents of small children living even further north
than I do) were so loud no government since has dared to repeat the
experiment.

Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably about
the only one who did. Although I had a different job then, I still got
up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking to work in the
pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.

--
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_]
October 31st 09, 11:52 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> Jofirey wrote:
>
>> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8 AM
>> either.
>>
>> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would require
>> sending kids off to school in the dark.
>>
>> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the entire
>> population into not knowing the time of day.
>
> It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
> instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight time so
> everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the howls of protests
> (especially from parents of small children living even further north than
> I do) were so loud no government since has dared to repeat the experiment.
>
> Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably about the
> only one who did. Although I had a different job then, I still got up
> early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking to work in the pre-dawn
> darkness thing for a bit.
>
> --
> Cheryl



I've heard several different versions of the reason for Daylight Savings
time. As a child I was told it was enacted to allow farmers more daylight
time to work in the fields in the summer and harvest months. With the
advent of technology (fields with lights, farm equipment with lights,
automatic watering systems) it has become obsolete. Now the story is about
saving energy, although I'm not really sure how it does that. (I don't turn
every light on in the house when it's dark, do you? Generally I only have a
light on in the room I'm in. And does it really matter if you're turning on
the lights in the morning because it's dark or the evening because it's
dark?!) Still others say it's popular because people like to enjoy long
summer evenings. Whatever the reason, I wish they'd pick a time and be done
with it. All this springing forward and falling back is annoying.

Jill

Yowie
October 31st 09, 12:10 PM
"Jofirey" > wrote in message

> "Kyla `=^..^=`" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> "MLB"
>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>> forgot.
>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>> Purrs
>>>> Kyla
>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Thanks again. I thought of it a couple of days ago, but haven't
>>> thought of it since then. MLB
>>
>> I too wish they would leave time alone, and I also posted this a
>> day earlier than I should have. DUH. Don't re-set it till
>> Sunday.
>>
>> It's only Friday now, and yes, I'm an idiot, who feels like I'm
>> coming down with the flu :/ Sorry about the mix-up.
>> It's almost November already? Geez.
>> Heavy wind/rain storm about to happen in Wash State.
>> Kyla
>> the twirp
>>
>>
> Hey, Charlie and I have both been arguing about whether it is
> Saturday or Sunday when in fact for all intents and purposes we both
> mean the same thing. It's sometime between when we go to sleep
> Saturday night and get up Sunday morning.
>
> And your post was in fact the first place I've seen anything about
> the time change for this fall.

When we change our times to and from Daylight Saving (we went onto Daylight
Saving quite af ew weeks ago), the time change officially occurs at (the
first) 2am on the Sunday Morning.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Cheryl[_5_]
October 31st 09, 02:04 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> I've heard several different versions of the reason for Daylight Savings
> time. As a child I was told it was enacted to allow farmers more
> daylight time to work in the fields in the summer and harvest months.
> With the advent of technology (fields with lights, farm equipment with
> lights, automatic watering systems) it has become obsolete. Now the
> story is about saving energy, although I'm not really sure how it does
> that. (I don't turn every light on in the house when it's dark, do
> you? Generally I only have a light on in the room I'm in. And does it
> really matter if you're turning on the lights in the morning because
> it's dark or the evening because it's dark?!) Still others say it's
> popular because people like to enjoy long summer evenings. Whatever the
> reason, I wish they'd pick a time and be done with it. All this
> springing forward and falling back is annoying.

I suppose my northern influence is showing - when I said it was supposed
to save energy, I was thinking we'd make more use of the early morning
when the feeble sun is assisting with our heating efforts, and turn the
heat a hour down earlier in the evening, because you'll be going to bed
an hour earlier. I never even thought about the lights, because they
account for a comparatively small proportion of the total fuel bill!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl[_5_]
October 31st 09, 02:06 PM
Oh, and the change doesn't bother me that much. Mostly, I don't even
notice it.

Although it can make you late for church. I missed a friend's baby's
christening due to that one fall. Very embarrassing.

--
Cheryl

jmcquown[_2_]
October 31st 09, 02:23 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I've heard several different versions of the reason for Daylight Savings
>> time. As a child I was told it was enacted to allow farmers more
>> daylight time to work in the fields in the summer and harvest months.
>> With the advent of technology (fields with lights, farm equipment with
>> lights, automatic watering systems) it has become obsolete. Now the
>> story is about saving energy, although I'm not really sure how it does
>> that. (I don't turn every light on in the house when it's dark, do you?
>>
> I suppose my northern influence is showing - when I said it was supposed
> to save energy, I was thinking we'd make more use of the early morning
> when the feeble sun is assisting with our heating efforts, and turn the
> heat a hour down earlier in the evening, because you'll be going to bed an
> hour earlier. I never even thought about the lights, because they account
> for a comparatively small proportion of the total fuel bill!
>
> --
> Cheryl


Must be, because it's still going to be 80F degrees here today :) People
keep talking about cold and snow... I haven't seen any real cold or snow in
years. I don't care if I have to walk around carrying oil lamps for light
but need my A/C and that bill isn't going to change simply because the time
does. The weather doesn't carry around a watch or a calendar :)

Jill

kraut3852
October 31st 09, 04:28 PM
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:45:09 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>Purrs
>>Kyla
>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>
>
>My computer clock changed last weekend!
>
>I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>be dark by 5:30PM :(


My daughter ia in Arizona and there they sta on the same time always.
Why can't the rest of us?!?!?!? :-(

October 31st 09, 07:01 PM
On 2009-10-31, jmcquown > wrote:
> As a child I was told it was enacted to allow farmers more daylight
> time to work in the fields in the summer and harvest months.

Farmers had all the daylight they needed without daylight saving time,
which doesn't change the amount of time that the Sun is above the horizon.
Farmers actually dislike daylight saving time because businesses close an
hour earlier by the sun when daylight saving is in effect but outdoor
work doesn't end an hour earlier.

Bud

Jack Campin - bogus address
October 31st 09, 09:07 PM
>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>> You're a week late.
> It's done on different weekends in different countries. In the US,
> it's this weekend.

Except in Arizona, and double except some of the Indian reservations
in Arizona. And of course US territories in the Southern Hemisphere
couldn't be expected to do the same as most of the continental US.

This is interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time_around_the_world

I'd like to see a desk clock that displayed all that. And they don't
say what Reunion does (it's legally part of France but I can't imagine
it's in the same time zone).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === <http://www.campin.me.uk> ====
Jack Campin, 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland == mob 07800 739 557
CD-ROMs and free stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******

Jofirey
October 31st 09, 09:08 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> Jofirey wrote:
>
>> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8
>> AM either.
>>
>> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would
>> require sending kids off to school in the dark.
>>
>> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the
>> entire population into not knowing the time of day.
>
> It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
> instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight
> time so everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the
> howls of protests (especially from parents of small children
> living even further north than I do) were so loud no government
> since has dared to repeat the experiment.
>
> Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably
> about the only one who did. Although I had a different job then, I
> still got up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking to
> work in the pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.
>
> --
> Cheryl

And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I always
figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to the
rest of us.

Jo

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
October 31st 09, 09:36 PM
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
> Purrs
> Kyla
> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>
>
Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and
I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)

Sjouke Burry[_2_]
October 31st 09, 10:46 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>
> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>> Purrs
>> Kyla
>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>
>>
> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and
> I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
Of course we dont :)

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 11:12 PM
"jmcquown"
> "Joy"
>> "Gandalf" <...
>>> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:50:18 -0700, "Kyla `=^..^=`"
>>> > wrote:
>>>
>>>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>>Purrs
>>>>Kyla
>>>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>
>>>
>>> My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>>
>>> I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>>> be dark by 5:30PM :(
>>>
>>
>> I don't even care whether it's DST or not. I just wish they'd pick a
>> time and leave it there, rather than switching around.
>>
>> Joy
>>
>
> Everyone I know feels this way. I don't know why the government won't do
> away with this archaic practice.
>
> Jill

Because the governemnt is full of idiots? Watching TV in a brightly lit
room, is my guess.
Why hasn't the subject been put on a ballot and let the 'people' vote on it?
Kyla

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 11:14 PM
"kraut3852"
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:45:09 GMT,:
>
>>>It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>Purrs
>>>Kyla
>>>needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>>
>>My computer clock changed last weekend!
>>
>>I wish we would just ALWAYS have DST: once we change the clocks, it will
>>be dark by 5:30PM :(
>
>
> My daughter ia in Arizona and there they stay on the same time always.
> Why can't the rest of us?!?!?!? :-(

Because the government won't allow it..IDK, but I'd like a reasonable answer
to that one as well.

Kyla
>
>
>

Kyla `=^..^=`
October 31st 09, 11:17 PM
"Sjouke Burry"
> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>
>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>> Purrs
>>> Kyla
>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>
>>>
>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and I'm
>> not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)

> Of course we dont :)

And why not? :)
Kyla

tanadashoes
November 1st 09, 02:13 AM
wrote:
> On 2009-10-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>> As a child I was told it was enacted to allow farmers more daylight
>> time to work in the fields in the summer and harvest months.
>
> Farmers had all the daylight they needed without daylight saving time,
> which doesn't change the amount of time that the Sun is above the horizon.
> Farmers actually dislike daylight saving time because businesses close an
> hour earlier by the sun when daylight saving is in effect but outdoor
> work doesn't end an hour earlier.
>
> Bud

Yup. Farmers work from can to can't. If it is light out and summer
time, those crops and animals still need to be taken care of. I was
always more excited by daylight time than standard time. And nope, I'm
not a morning person.

Pam S.

Sherry
November 1st 09, 06:13 AM
On Oct 31, 3:08*pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Jofirey wrote:
>
> >> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8
> >> AM either.
>
> >> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would
> >> require sending kids off to school in the dark.
>
> >> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the
> >> entire population into not knowing the time of day.
>
> > It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
> > instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight
> > time so everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the
> > howls of protests (especially from parents of small children
> > living even further north than I do) were so loud no government
> > since has dared to repeat the experiment.
>
> > Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably
> > about the only one who did. Although I had a different job then, I
> > still got up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking to
> > work in the pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. *I always
> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to the
> rest of us.
>
> Jo- Hide quoted text -

I think you're right. I'm not a morning person, either. We had to get
up at 5 a.m. to make an early doctor's appointment. Getting up
at 5 a.m. was a hideous experience.
Sherry

Cheryl[_5_]
November 1st 09, 11:42 AM
Sherry wrote:
> On Oct 31, 3:08 pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:

>> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I always
>> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to the
>> rest of us.
>>
>> Jo- Hide quoted text -
>
> I think you're right. I'm not a morning person, either. We had to get
> up at 5 a.m. to make an early doctor's appointment. Getting up
> at 5 a.m. was a hideous experience.
> Sherry

I forget sometimes that some people consider 5:00 AM unusually early -
it's only a little before my usual time (alarm at 5:30, up by 6:00), and
I'm often up that early.

I suppose you also aren't falling asleep by 9:00 or 10:00 PM. Some
people (like one of my sisters) have so much energy that late at night!

--
Cheryl

Jofirey
November 1st 09, 06:51 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
...
On Oct 31, 3:08 pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
>
>
> > Jofirey wrote:
>
> >> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8
> >> AM either.
>
> >> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would
> >> require sending kids off to school in the dark.
>
> >> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the
> >> entire population into not knowing the time of day.
>
> > It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
> > instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight
> > time so everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the
> > howls of protests (especially from parents of small children
> > living even further north than I do) were so loud no government
> > since has dared to repeat the experiment.
>
> > Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably
> > about the only one who did. Although I had a different job then,
> > I
> > still got up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking
> > to
> > work in the pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.
>
> > --
> > Cheryl
>
> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I always
> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to
> the
> rest of us.
>
> Jo- Hide quoted text -

I think you're right. I'm not a morning person, either. We had to
get
up at 5 a.m. to make an early doctor's appointment. Getting up
at 5 a.m. was a hideous experience.
Sherry

*****

You know there are people up at 5am just because they choose to be,
that think the rest of us should join them.

At least until they think it thru and remember just what 'the rest
of us' are like at 5am.

Jo

Jofirey
November 1st 09, 07:01 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> Sherry wrote:
>> On Oct 31, 3:08 pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:
>
>>> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I
>>> always
>>> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to
>>> the
>>> rest of us.
>>>
>>> Jo- Hide quoted text -
>>
>> I think you're right. I'm not a morning person, either. We had to
>> get
>> up at 5 a.m. to make an early doctor's appointment. Getting up
>> at 5 a.m. was a hideous experience.
>> Sherry
>
> I forget sometimes that some people consider 5:00 AM unusually
> early - it's only a little before my usual time (alarm at 5:30, up
> by 6:00), and I'm often up that early.
>
> I suppose you also aren't falling asleep by 9:00 or 10:00 PM. Some
> people (like one of my sisters) have so much energy that late at
> night!
>
When I was working, and especially when I could work from home, it
wasn't unusual for me to work until 10 or 11 pm. I can concentrate
better after 4 pm every day.

If I work until 10 or 11, the takes me several more hours to wind
down and get sleepy.

Jo

Cheryl[_5_]
November 1st 09, 07:11 PM
Jofirey wrote:
>
> "Sherry" > wrote in message
> ...
> On Oct 31, 3:08 pm, "Jofirey" > wrote:
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> > Jofirey wrote:
>>
>> >> While I don't care for dark by 5:30 PM, I'm no fan of dark at 8
>> >> AM either.
>>
>> >> I've heard the argument against eternal DST is that it would
>> >> require sending kids off to school in the dark.
>>
>> >> I just don't get the government figuring they can trick the
>> >> entire population into not knowing the time of day.
>>
>> > It's supposed to save on energy costs. I think that's why it was
>> > instituted in the first place. One year, we had double daylight
>> > time so everyone could save even more on energy costs, but the
>> > howls of protests (especially from parents of small children
>> > living even further north than I do) were so loud no government
>> > since has dared to repeat the experiment.
>>
>> > Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably
>> > about the only one who did. Although I had a different job then, > I
>> > still got up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking > to
>> > work in the pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.
>>
>> > --
>> > Cheryl
>>
>> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I always
>> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to the
>> rest of us.
>>
>> Jo- Hide quoted text -
>
> I think you're right. I'm not a morning person, either. We had to get
> up at 5 a.m. to make an early doctor's appointment. Getting up
> at 5 a.m. was a hideous experience.
> Sherry
>
> *****
>
> You know there are people up at 5am just because they choose to be, that
> think the rest of us should join them.
>
> At least until they think it thru and remember just what 'the rest of
> us' are like at 5am.
>
> Jo

I won't complain about unwilling early risers as long as they don't go
around bouncy and energetic in the evening, when I want to go to sleep!

--
Cheryl

Cheryl[_5_]
November 1st 09, 07:28 PM
Jofirey wrote:

> When I was working, and especially when I could work from home, it
> wasn't unusual for me to work until 10 or 11 pm. I can concentrate
> better after 4 pm every day.
>
> If I work until 10 or 11, the takes me several more hours to wind down
> and get sleepy.

I'm the exact opposite. I'm slowing badly by 3:00 PM, and really try not
to start anything new or requiring a lot of concentration in the afternoon.

When I started my present job, I was given the choice of working
9:00-5:00 or 8:00-4:00. I didn't hesitate in making my choice!

I'd like it if they still offered the 7:00-3:00 option, but that ended
before my arrival. People in other areas complained, especially when
meetings were scheduled for our people's convenience.
--
Cheryl

Jofirey
November 1st 09, 08:06 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
...
> Jofirey wrote:
>
>> When I was working, and especially when I could work from home,
>> it wasn't unusual for me to work until 10 or 11 pm. I can
>> concentrate better after 4 pm every day.
>>
>> If I work until 10 or 11, the takes me several more hours to wind
>> down and get sleepy.
>
> I'm the exact opposite. I'm slowing badly by 3:00 PM, and really
> try not to start anything new or requiring a lot of concentration
> in the afternoon.
>
> When I started my present job, I was given the choice of working
> 9:00-5:00 or 8:00-4:00. I didn't hesitate in making my choice!
>
> I'd like it if they still offered the 7:00-3:00 option, but that
> ended before my arrival. People in other areas complained,
> especially when meetings were scheduled for our people's
> convenience.
> --
> Cheryl

My bright and chirpy early morning co-worker learned the hard way
not to schedule me in on meeting at or before 9am. She would
schedule them as early a 7am. But she fizzled out badly after
around 3 so she understood.

I still have to wonder at how she managed to raise a child when I
know given a choice she was asleep by 7pm every day.

Jo

Cheryl[_5_]
November 1st 09, 08:59 PM
Jofirey wrote:

> My bright and chirpy early morning co-worker learned the hard way not to
> schedule me in on meeting at or before 9am. She would schedule them as
> early a 7am. But she fizzled out badly after around 3 so she understood.
>
> I still have to wonder at how she managed to raise a child when I know
> given a choice she was asleep by 7pm every day.

I have a friend whose natural cycle is rather like mine who married a
man from a family of night-owls. The children inherited their father's
sleep pattern. She eventually simply went to bed early, leaving the
children under their father's supervision, and got up early. She just
found the reverse too hard to adjust to. I think she really appreciates
those quiet mornings before anyone else is up, too!

--
Cheryl

November 1st 09, 11:05 PM
Jofirey wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>> Pity. I really liked double daylight savings time. I'm probably
>> about the only one who did. Although I had a different job then, I
>> still got up early, and it was so nice to put off the trekking to
>> work in the pre-dawn darkness thing for a bit.

> And that is the real reason I hate daylight savings time. I always
> figured it was just the 'morning peoples' way of sticking it to the
> rest of us.

As a night person, I prefer daylight savings time, because it is light
out *LATER* in the evening. I sleep later in the morning than most people,
I arrive at work later in the morning than most people, and I leave work
later in the evening than most people. So it's nice when we go to DST,
because then when I finally leave the office

I don't care how late in the morning the sun rises in DST because I am
ASLEEP. :)

So I think daylight savings is more an advantage to night people than
to morning people. The only thing that standard time is good for is the
one day of the year (that would be today) when we do the transition from
DST to standard and we get that extra hour.

Joyce

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.

-- Graham Greene

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 1st 09, 11:26 PM
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
> "Sjouke Burry"
>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you forgot.
>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>> Purrs
>>>> Kyla
>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and I'm
>>> not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
>
>> Of course we dont :)
>
> And why not? :)
> Kyla
>
>
Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other countries
have their own governments? The practice is purely arbitrary, in any
case. I remember back during WW2, the entire US was on "wartime"
(year-round DST) but some of the states who practiced Daylight savings
did so anyway. (Making them TWO hours different from normal "sun" time.)

Kyla `=^..^=`
November 2nd 09, 12:46 AM
> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>> "Sjouke Burry"
>>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>>> forgot.
>>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>>> Purrs
>>>>> Kyla
>>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and
>>>> I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
>>
>>> Of course we dont :)
>>
>> And why not? :)
>> Kyla
> Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other countries
> have their own governments? The practice is purely arbitrary, in any
> case. I remember back during WW2, the entire US was on "wartime"
> (year-round DST) but some of the states who practiced Daylight savings did
> so anyway. (Making them TWO hours different from normal "sun" time.)

Oh, okay, thanks for the info :)
Kyla

Marina
November 2nd 09, 05:24 AM
Jofirey wrote:
>
> You know there are people up at 5am just because they choose to be, that
> think the rest of us should join them.
>
> At least until they think it thru and remember just what 'the rest of
> us' are like at 5am.

I'm usually awake by 5, but I don't choose to be. I just wake up and
can't get back to sleep, even on weekends when I don't have to get up
for work. I'm usually in a good mood and wide awake in the morning,
though I wake up too early.

Then, if I can take a little nap after lunch, I can work late into the
night if I need to. This is why working from home works so well for me.
I can take that little nap (with Mir cuddled up against me under the
blankie) and then continue to work with renewed energy.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

jmcquown[_2_]
November 2nd 09, 08:21 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message
m...
>
>
> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>> "Sjouke Burry"
>>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>>> forgot.
>>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>>> Purrs
>>>>> Kyla
>>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and
>>>> I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
>>
>>> Of course we dont :)
>>
>> And why not? :)
>> Kyla
> Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other countries
> have their own governments? The practice is purely arbitrary, in any
> case.

AFAIK, the U.S. started this whole Daylight Savings Time thing. Other
countries decided to follow suit, but not necessarily on the same dates. It
gets very confusing, especially when you're trying to place overseas calls
(or chat with folks from this ng!). We already have to take time zones (and
the International Date Line) into account. Then they start fiddling with
the clocks even more. LOL (Appropos of nothing, I wonder if Kyla knows
Thanksgiving in Canada is in early October, not the end of November.)

Jill

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 2nd 09, 11:30 PM
jmcquown wrote:
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>>
>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>> "Sjouke Burry"
>>>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>>>> forgot.
>>>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>>>> Purrs
>>>>>> Kyla
>>>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too -
>>>>> and I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
>>>
>>>> Of course we dont :)
>>>
>>> And why not? :)
>>> Kyla
>> Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other
>> countries have their own governments? The practice is purely
>> arbitrary, in any case.
>
> AFAIK, the U.S. started this whole Daylight Savings Time thing. Other
> countries decided to follow suit, but not necessarily on the same
> dates. It gets very confusing, especially when you're trying to place
> overseas calls (or chat with folks from this ng!). We already have to
> take time zones (and the International Date Line) into account. Then
> they start fiddling with the clocks even more. LOL (Appropos of
> nothing, I wonder if Kyla knows Thanksgiving in Canada is in early
> October, not the end of November.)
>
> Jill

And that "Labor Day" for most of the world is May 1st, not the first
Monday in September as it is in the U.S.?

Kyla `=^..^=`
November 3rd 09, 10:03 AM
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
>
>
> jmcquown wrote:
>> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" message

>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>> "Sjouke Burry"
>>>>> EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
>>>>>> Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
>>>>>>> It's that 'time'...Fall back 1 hour tomorrow (Sun), in case you
>>>>>>> forgot.
>>>>>>> No harm meant, just a friendly reminder.
>>>>>>> Purrs
>>>>>>> Kyla
>>>>>>> needing that xtra hour of sleep
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>> Not in Arizona!!!!! (I think there are a few other states, too - and
>>>>>> I'm not sure Europe observes the same start and finish dates.)
>>>>
>>>>> Of course we dont :)
>>>>
>>>> And why not? :)
>>>> Kyla

>>> Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other countries
>>> have their own governments? The practice is purely arbitrary, in any
>>> case.

Umaky.
>>
>> AFAIK, the U.S. started this whole Daylight Savings Time thing.

Okay, why did we do it in the first place? Cows maybe?

>Other
>> countries decided to follow suit, but not necessarily on the same dates.
>> It gets very confusing, especially when you're trying to place overseas
>> calls (or chat with folks from this ng!). We already have to take time
>> zones (and the International Date Line) into account. Then they start
>> fiddling with the clocks even more. LOL

No kidding. LOL.
I used to talk to a guy from Glasgow, and I think he's 8 hours ahead of me.
I'm on Pacific time.

>(Appropos of
>> nothing, I wonder if Kyla knows Thanksgiving in Canada is in early
>> October, not the end of November.)
>>
>> Jill

Yes Jill, as a matter of fact I did know that.:) .
>
> And that "Labor Day" for most of the world is May 1st, not the first
> Monday in September as it is in the U.S.?

Hmm, my 2009 cat calendar says Labor Day in the US is Sept 7.

Kyla
caught in the twighlight zone

November 3rd 09, 11:02 AM
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:

> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"

>>>> Because the U.S.A. is not the only nation on earth, and other countries
>>>> have their own governments? The practice is purely arbitrary, in any
>>>> case.

> Umaky.

Umaky? How's that pronounced? "Ooo mackey"? Or maybe it's "you makey"?
And what on earth does it mean?

>> And that "Labor Day" for most of the world is May 1st, not the first
>> Monday in September as it is in the U.S.?

> Hmm, my 2009 cat calendar says Labor Day in the US is Sept 7.

And that'd be the first Monday in September, like Evelyn said...

Joyce

--
I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 3rd 09, 07:20 PM
Kyla `=^..^=` wrote:
> "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"

>> And that "Labor Day" for most of the world is May 1st, not the first
>> Monday in September as it is in the U.S.?
>
> Hmm, my 2009 cat calendar says Labor Day in the US is Sept 7.

Which was the first Monday in September, n'est-ce pas? The actual DATE
varies, depending upon which date the first Monday falls upon. (But it
is NOT the same date as "Labor Day" in Europe - the point I was making.)