PDA

View Full Version : Looking for broad-spectrum flea/parasite treatment food additive

Cat Guy
November 4th 09, 02:42 PM
I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
can be added to food.

I'm looking for an oral alternative to the topical skin treatment known
as Revolution.

I would like to treat a feral cat for fleas (at least) and as many other
things as possible while I'm at it. I know that there are oral forms of
these treatments, but I don't know their brand names or what
spacifically they treat or prevent (I'm not looking for the identity of
specific drugs that treat, say, tape worms like milbemax). I'm looking
for oral, prophylactic treatments (or a combination of treatments) for
fleas, mites, ticks, worms, parasites, etc.

And while I'm on the topic, is it true that Revolution does not
effectively treat ticks? If so, is there any prophylactic, topical or
oral treatment that does?

cybercat
November 4th 09, 04:27 PM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
>I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> can be added to food.

Don't try to treat any animal that has not been seen by a vet. If you care
about the cat, trap it or contact a trap, neuter, spay group that will trap
it and take it to the vet.

Kelly Greene
November 4th 09, 10:37 PM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
>I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> can be added to food.
>
> I'm looking for an oral alternative to the topical skin treatment known
> as Revolution.
>
> I would like to treat a feral cat for fleas (at least) and as many other
> things as possible while I'm at it. I know that there are oral forms of
> these treatments, but I don't know their brand names or what
> spacifically they treat or prevent (I'm not looking for the identity of
> specific drugs that treat, say, tape worms like milbemax). I'm looking
> for oral, prophylactic treatments (or a combination of treatments) for
> fleas, mites, ticks, worms, parasites, etc.
>
> And while I'm on the topic, is it true that Revolution does not
> effectively treat ticks? If so, is there any prophylactic, topical or
> oral treatment that does?

May I suggest you call an Animal Shelter or Veterinary clinic and ask them.
They would know the answer and perhaps even sell you what you need.

Bill Graham
November 5th 09, 12:54 AM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
>I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> can be added to food.
>
> I'm looking for an oral alternative to the topical skin treatment known
> as Revolution.
>
> I would like to treat a feral cat for fleas (at least) and as many other
> things as possible while I'm at it. I know that there are oral forms of
> these treatments, but I don't know their brand names or what
> spacifically they treat or prevent (I'm not looking for the identity of
> specific drugs that treat, say, tape worms like milbemax). I'm looking
> for oral, prophylactic treatments (or a combination of treatments) for
> fleas, mites, ticks, worms, parasites, etc.
>
> And while I'm on the topic, is it true that Revolution does not
> effectively treat ticks? If so, is there any prophylactic, topical or
> oral treatment that does?

Having done this with a feral cat, my advice is to trap the cat, and give
him/her to a vet for the primary treatment.....That way the cat can be given
shots and specific treatment for the common diseases that are prevalent in
such animals. Have the cat neutered while you are at it, or it will contract
FIV which is a real loser among wild animals. It will domesticate much more
easily after neutering, too.

Cat Guy
November 5th 09, 01:58 AM
Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:

1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?

2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

Dragoman
November 5th 09, 02:34 AM
Cat Guy wrote:
> Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>
> 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>
> 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

Maybe because nobody knows? I don't know the answers either, otherwise
I'd have told you.

cyberpurrs
November 5th 09, 04:13 AM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>
> 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>
> 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the vet you
STUPID MOTHER****ER.

Anything else I can help you with?

---MIKE---
November 5th 09, 12:28 PM
Cat Guy asked:

>I believe there are some feline flea,
> worm and parasite treatments that can
> be added to food.

>I'm looking for an oral alternative to the
> topical skin treatment known as
> Revolution.

The only treatment that I know of is called "Program". It doesn't kill
fleas but prevents their eggs from producing.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Spider[_3_]
November 5th 09, 12:59 PM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
>I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> can be added to food.
>
> I'm looking for an oral alternative to the topical skin treatment known
> as Revolution.
>
> I would like to treat a feral cat for fleas (at least) and as many other
> things as possible while I'm at it. I know that there are oral forms of
> these treatments, but I don't know their brand names or what
> spacifically they treat or prevent (I'm not looking for the identity of
> specific drugs that treat, say, tape worms like milbemax). I'm looking
> for oral, prophylactic treatments (or a combination of treatments) for
> fleas, mites, ticks, worms, parasites, etc.
>
> And while I'm on the topic, is it true that Revolution does not
> effectively treat ticks? If so, is there any prophylactic, topical or
> oral treatment that does?

I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service. For some
treatments, you will need a prescription; for many, you will not. Try this
link:

www.petmeds.co.uk

Whilst visiting this site (in your interest), I saw a treatment called
'Capstar' which treats fleas orally. There may be other products.
Certainly, there is a facility for asking questions.

If you are in the US or elsewhere in the world, there may be a company
nearer home that you'd rather use, so try googling and see what comes up.
Otherwise, follow some of the helpful advice you were given and contact a
vet or animal rescue shelter.

Spider

Cat Guy
November 5th 09, 01:39 PM
cyberpurrs wrote:

> > Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
> >
> > 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
> >
> > 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?
>
> Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the
> vet you STUPID MOTHER****ER.

Is there a rule that says that internet users can't be intelligent and
have the answers to those questions you ****ing asswipe?

> Anything else I can help you with?

Yea. You can **** off and die you piece of horse ****.

Cat Guy
November 5th 09, 01:47 PM
Spider wrote:

> I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.

(...)

I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
treatments and what they prevent.

Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
I'll look into it).

> For some treatments, you will need a prescription;

I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.

I was looking for just their IDENTITY. Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES.

Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.

Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
are out there.

jmc
November 5th 09, 02:48 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/4/2009 8:58 PM):
> Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>
> 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>
> 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

1) I don't think there is one, or my vet would have recommended it for
my cat, who doesn't handle any topical well. She's currently on
Revolution, which only bothers her for a short time (Frontline freaked
her out for hours).

2) Ticks are not on Revolution's list:

* Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs
from hatching.
* Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
* Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
* Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms
(Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

Afraid you'll need something else to work against ticks. My cat is
indoors or on a deck, so ticks aren't an issue.

FWIW, my understanding from this board is it isn't always effective
against ear mites - or at least, not against an active population -
might be more effective against them taking hold in the first place.

jmc

jmc
November 5th 09, 02:56 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/5/2009 8:47 AM):
> Spider wrote:
>
>> I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.
>
> (...)
>
> I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
> care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
> at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
> treatments and what they prevent.
>
> Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
> I'll look into it).
>
>> For some treatments, you will need a prescription;
>
> I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.
>
> I was looking for just their IDENTITY. Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES.
>
> Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.
>
> Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
> are out there.

Yes, but vets can look them up. They do have books, and resources that
we non-vets do not have access to. Have you talked to yours? Did you
try Google or your favorite search engine? I did, and came up with
nothing on an oral Revolution, but something on Program.

Program is an "oral suspension". I think that means you still have to
drop it in their mouth, rather than their food. It also does not treat
ticks.

Please don't accuse us of not caring for our cats when it's simply that
we don't know the answer, which with the experience of some here,
probably means what you are looking for doesn't exist.

jmc

cybercat
November 5th 09, 04:08 PM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> cyberpurrs wrote:
>
>> > Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>> >
>> > 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>> >
>> > 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?
>>
>> Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the
>> vet you STUPID MOTHER****ER.
>
> Is there a rule that says that internet users can't be intelligent and
> have the answers to those questions you ****ing asswipe?
>
>> Anything else I can help you with?
>
> Yea. You can **** off and die you piece of horse ****.

Do you feel better now? If you want to help the cats, take them to a vet.

cybercat
November 5th 09, 04:08 PM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> Spider wrote:
>
>> I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.
>
> (...)
>
> I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
> care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,

We care enough to get them vet care, asshole.

FirstHit
November 5th 09, 07:20 PM
On Nov 5, 6:56*am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/5/2009 8:47 AM):
>

> > Spider wrote:
>
> >> I am in the UK and use an on-line animal medication service.
>
> > *(...)
>
> > I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
> > care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
> > at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
> > treatments and what they prevent.
>
> > Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
> > I'll look into it).
>
> >> For some treatments, you will need a prescription;
>
> > I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.
>
> > I was looking for just their IDENTITY. *Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES. *
>
> > Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.
>
> > Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
> > are out there.
>
> Yes, but vets can look them up. *They do have books, and resources that
> we non-vets do not have access to. Have you talked to yours? *Did you
> try Google or your favorite search engine? *I did, and came up with
> nothing on an oral Revolution, but something on Program.
>
> Program is an "oral suspension". *I think that means you still have to
> drop it in their mouth, rather than their food. *It also does not treat
> ticks.

You can mix it with their food. This is the first product that came
out that you give to a cat once a month to prevent fleas. It is
highly effective and probably safer than the other things on the
market (like Advantage, Frontline, etc). The negatives are (1) it
does not work on anything but fleas; (2) It does not kill fleas; it
disables their eggs, so if you already have a flea infestation, it
will take a few months before you are flea-free. My experience with
Program, back when Program was the only product on the market, was
that it does indeed eradicate fleas, but like I said, it takes a
number of months.

FirstHit

jmc
November 5th 09, 10:15 PM
Suddenly, without warning, FirstHit exclaimed (11/5/2009 2:20 PM):
> On Nov 5, 6:56 am, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/5/2009 8:47 AM):

>>> (...)
>>> I guess I was wrong in thinking that there are readers here who actually
>>> care enough for their cats to give them these prevantative treatments,
>>> at least to the extent that they actually know the names of these
>>> treatments and what they prevent.
>>> Except for Mike (thanks for identifying "Progam" as one such treatment.
>>> I'll look into it).
>>> I was not looking for a way to get these treatments.
>>> I was looking for just their IDENTITY. Their TRADE or BRAND NAMES.
>>> Once I know THEIR NAMES I can go to my vet and ask for them.
>>> Vets don't always know THE NAMES of ALL THE DRUGS AND TREATMENTS that
>>> are out there.
>> Yes, but vets can look them up. They do have books, and resources that
>> we non-vets do not have access to. Have you talked to yours? Did you
>> try Google or your favorite search engine? I did, and came up with
>> nothing on an oral Revolution, but something on Program.
>>
>> Program is an "oral suspension". I think that means you still have to
>> drop it in their mouth, rather than their food. It also does not treat
>> ticks.
>
> You can mix it with their food. This is the first product that came
> out that you give to a cat once a month to prevent fleas. It is
> highly effective and probably safer than the other things on the
> market (like Advantage, Frontline, etc). The negatives are (1) it
> does not work on anything but fleas; (2) It does not kill fleas; it
> disables their eggs, so if you already have a flea infestation, it
> will take a few months before you are flea-free. My experience with
> Program, back when Program was the only product on the market, was
> that it does indeed eradicate fleas, but like I said, it takes a
> number of months.
>
> FirstHit

Given that, I'd not think it'd work well for a feral, since he'd be
constantly in contact with new flea sources. Sounds like it's a good
product for an indoor-only cat.

jmc

FirstHit
November 5th 09, 11:10 PM
On Nov 5, 2:15*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, FirstHit exclaimed (11/5/2009 2:20 PM):
>

> > On Nov 5, 6:56 am, jmc > wrote:
> >> Suddenly, without warning, Cat Guy exclaimed (11/5/2009 8:47 AM):

Bill Graham
November 6th 09, 04:29 AM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>
> 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>
> 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?

I don't know.....What's, "Revolution"?

Cat Guy
November 6th 09, 01:44 PM
Bill Graham wrote:

> > 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
> >
> > 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?
>
> I don't know.....What's, "Revolution"?

The point of my questions was not to prompt more questions from those
that can't answer them.

But since you asked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolution_(pet_medicine)

Pfizer does list it as being effective against "certain types of ticks"
in dogs.

The active ingredient is Selamectin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selamectin

"Selamectin fights both internal and surface parasitic infection.
Absorbed into the body through the skin and hair follicles, it
travels through the bloodstream, intestines, and sebaceous glands;
parasites ingest the drug when they feed on the animal's blood."

Many web sources say that Selamectin is either (a) effective against
ticks, or (b) effective against some ticks, or (c) effective against
some ticks in dogs. This page:

http://petproducts.suite101.com/article.cfm/selamectin_in_dogs_and_cats

Says that it's effective only against one type of tick (Dermacentor
variabilis) in dogs.

It's quite possible that Selamectin (Revolution) is effective for cats
against ticks - it's just that unless or until the manufacturer (Pfizer)
does the tests and makes the appropriate submission to the FDA, Pfizer
can't claim it's effective against ticks or put that wording on the
label.

It's my observation that most pet medications are tested and applied for
acreditation with the FDA in conjunction with their use on dogs, because
people seem to spend more on health care for dogs vs cats (more total
dollars spent on dogs that is). I think that's why there are more
canine medications that are used off-label for cats (sometimes
experimentally) rather than the other way around.

Lesley
November 8th 09, 08:16 PM
On 4 Nov, 06:42, Cat Guy > wrote:
> I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> can be added to food.

Nope there are some oral medications but they come in pill form so you
have to pill the cats I am not sure if you can add them to food

I used Johnson's "4 Fleas" (not sure if they're available in the US)
small pills that start killing fleas within 10 minutes of ingestion
apparently certainly my cats started to scratch at that point then we
gave them a second dose a few days later and as indoors cats they
have been flea free for the last 5 years

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Bill Graham
November 8th 09, 09:12 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
> On 4 Nov, 06:42, Cat Guy > wrote:
>> I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
>> can be added to food.
>>
> Nope there are some oral medications but they come in pill form so you
> have to pill the cats I am not sure if you can add them to food
>
> I used Johnson's "4 Fleas" (not sure if they're available in the US)
> small pills that start killing fleas within 10 minutes of ingestion
> apparently certainly my cats started to scratch at that point then we
> gave them a second dose a few days later and as indoors cats they
> have been flea free for the last 5 years

Yes, they are....See:
http://peticious.com/johnsons-4fleas-for-cats-and-kittens-tablet-pack-p-109605.html?ref=269

Bill Graham
November 8th 09, 09:16 PM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
> On 4 Nov, 06:42, Cat Guy > wrote:
>> I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
>> can be added to food.
>>
> Nope there are some oral medications but they come in pill form so you
> have to pill the cats I am not sure if you can add them to food
>
> I used Johnson's "4 Fleas" (not sure if they're available in the US)
> small pills that start killing fleas within 10 minutes of ingestion
> apparently certainly my cats started to scratch at that point then we
> gave them a second dose a few days later and as indoors cats they
> have been flea free for the last 5 years

Yes, the Johnson's 4 fleas pills are available here....See:
http://peticious.com/johnsons-4fleas-for-cats-and-kittens-tablet-pack-p-109605.html?ref=269

FirstHit
November 9th 09, 09:44 AM
On Nov 8, 12:16*pm, Lesley > wrote:
> On 4 Nov, 06:42, Cat Guy > wrote:> I believe there are some feline flea, worm and parasite treatments that
> > can be added to food.
>
> Nope there are some oral medications but they come in pill form so you
> have to pill the cats I am not sure if you can add them to food

"Program" comes in an oral suspension that can be added to food.

FirstHit

G. Wendermen
December 9th 09, 05:35 AM
"Cat Guy" > wrote in message ...
> cyberpurrs wrote:
>
>> > Why can't I just get an answer to these simple questions:
>> >
>> > 1) what is eqivalent to Revolution, but in oral form?
>> >
>> > 2) is it true that Revolution is not effective against ticks?
>>
>> Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the
>> vet you STUPID MOTHER****ER.
>
> Is there a rule that says that internet users can't be intelligent and
> have the answers to those questions you ****ing asswipe?
>
>> Anything else I can help you with?
>
> Yea. You can **** off and die you piece of horse ****.

Killfile the arrogant know it all ****. She's a stupid bitch too crazy to
hold a job so sits here all day insulting people. Any replies to her will
elicit more idiotic attacks from her.

cybercat
December 9th 09, 07:16 AM
"G. Wendermen" > wrote in message

>>> Because you are asking these questions in Usenet instead of at the
>>> vet you STUPID MOTHER****ER.
>>
>> Is there a rule that says that internet users can't be intelligent and
>> have the answers to those questions you ****ing asswipe?
>>
>>> Anything else I can help you with?
>>
>> Yea. You can **** off and die you piece of horse ****.
>
> Killfile the arrogant know it all ****. She's a stupid bitch too crazy to
> hold a job so sits here all day insulting people. Any replies to her will
> elicit more idiotic attacks from her.

Damn it, George, I told you, the divorce is final. Try to move on.