PDA

View Full Version : Oh, my! H1N1 from humans to cats.

jmc
November 5th 09, 03:46 AM
Just saw this in a different ng:

http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805

This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.

And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.

Where's my vitamin C?

jmc

John Ross Mc Master
November 5th 09, 04:01 AM
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>Just saw this in a different ng:
>
>http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805
>
>This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.
>
>And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.
>
>Where's my vitamin C?
>
>jmc

Great minds think alike. ( I posted this here 40+ minutes ago. )

What you should do is get vaccinated against swine flu and the regular
seasonal flu too if it decreases the chance your family and cats could
catch it. I got my vaccines last week before the word was out about
cats. Glad I did.

AZ Nomad[_2_]
November 5th 09, 04:08 AM
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc > wrote:
>Just saw this in a different ng:

>http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805

>This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.

>And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.

As if there wasn't enough hysteria.

one cat with h1n1 in the entire country.
household got over it just like everybody else does 99.99% of the time.

Your chance of catching it and giving it to your cat are about the same
as a piano falling on your yead. Actually, a lot less.
Watch out!

jmc
November 5th 09, 03:41 PM
Suddenly, without warning, John Ross Mc Master exclaimed (11/4/2009
10:01 PM):
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc
> > wrote:
>
>> Just saw this in a different ng:
>>
>> http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805
>>
>> This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>> continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.
>>
>> And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.
>>
>> Where's my vitamin C?
>>
>> jmc
>
> Great minds think alike. ( I posted this here 40+ minutes ago. )
>
> What you should do is get vaccinated against swine flu and the regular
> seasonal flu too if it decreases the chance your family and cats could
> catch it. I got my vaccines last week before the word was out about
> cats. Glad I did.

Can't get vaccinated - I'm not in a high-risk group and the shortages
around here are pretty severe. I'd rather give "my" shot to someone who
needs it more.

I've never gotten the seasonal flu shot, and have only had seasonal flu
once or twice in my life.

Bit worried about the swine flu shot - the friend of a coworker had
unexpected neurological issues from the swine flu shot - she's currently
having problems walking and talking... that's only one shot in millions
but still makes me nervous. We don't know if it was the shot or nasal.

jmc

jmc
November 5th 09, 03:43 PM
Suddenly, without warning, AZ Nomad exclaimed (11/4/2009 10:08 PM):
> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc > wrote:
>> Just saw this in a different ng:
>
>> http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805
>
>> This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>> continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.
>
>> And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.
>
> As if there wasn't enough hysteria.
>
> one cat with h1n1 in the entire country.
> household got over it just like everybody else does 99.99% of the time.
>
> Your chance of catching it and giving it to your cat are about the same
> as a piano falling on your yead. Actually, a lot less.
> Watch out!

::looks up:: No piano... yet. Will keep an eye out though.

That's one *documented* case. Doesn't mean there aren't others out
there. We don't really know yet if H1N1 is harder on cats than people -
it's harder on kids than adults, so yes I worry a bit, but with the flus
running rampant through my workplace, I'm already taking precautions.

jmc

John Ross Mc Master
November 5th 09, 04:49 PM
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:41:14 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, John Ross Mc Master exclaimed (11/4/2009
>10:01 PM):
>> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just saw this in a different ng:
>>>
>>> http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805
>>>
>>> This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>>> continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.
>>>
>>> And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.
>>>
>>> Where's my vitamin C?
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> Great minds think alike. ( I posted this here 40+ minutes ago. )
>>
>> What you should do is get vaccinated against swine flu and the regular
>> seasonal flu too if it decreases the chance your family and cats could
>> catch it. I got my vaccines last week before the word was out about
>> cats. Glad I did.
>
>Can't get vaccinated - I'm not in a high-risk group and the shortages
>around here are pretty severe. I'd rather give "my" shot to someone who
>needs it more.
>
>I've never gotten the seasonal flu shot, and have only had seasonal flu
>once or twice in my life.
>
>Bit worried about the swine flu shot - the friend of a coworker had
>unexpected neurological issues from the swine flu shot - she's currently
>having problems walking and talking... that's only one shot in millions
>but still makes me nervous. We don't know if it was the shot or nasal.
>
>jmc

Smallpox is extinct because of vaccination. Millions of people are not
dying from it every year.
Dangers of vaccines are exaggerated by nut jobs in the media.

jmc
November 5th 09, 07:04 PM
Suddenly, without warning, John Ross Mc Master exclaimed (11/5/2009
10:49 AM):
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:41:14 -0500, jmc
> > wrote:
>
>> Suddenly, without warning, John Ross Mc Master exclaimed (11/4/2009
>> 10:01 PM):
>>> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc

>>> Great minds think alike. ( I posted this here 40+ minutes ago. )
>>>
>>> What you should do is get vaccinated against swine flu and the regular
>>> seasonal flu too if it decreases the chance your family and cats could
>>> catch it. I got my vaccines last week before the word was out about
>>> cats. Glad I did.
>> Can't get vaccinated - I'm not in a high-risk group and the shortages
>> around here are pretty severe. I'd rather give "my" shot to someone who
>> needs it more.
>>
>> I've never gotten the seasonal flu shot, and have only had seasonal flu
>> once or twice in my life.
>>
>> Bit worried about the swine flu shot - the friend of a coworker had
>> unexpected neurological issues from the swine flu shot - she's currently
>> having problems walking and talking... that's only one shot in millions
>> but still makes me nervous. We don't know if it was the shot or nasal.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Smallpox is extinct because of vaccination. Millions of people are not
> dying from it every year.
> Dangers of vaccines are exaggerated by nut jobs in the media.

Well, except I haven't seen *any* media here saying anything at all
about side effects to the new vaccine. This is a single case I've heard
about directly from a victim's friend. How is that in any way shape or
form from the media?

Not that I disagree with you - just in this one case, where I am, media
is not to blame.

jmc

dgk
November 6th 09, 03:32 PM
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:43:27 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, AZ Nomad exclaimed (11/4/2009 10:08 PM):
>> On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:46:32 -0500, jmc > wrote:
>>> Just saw this in a different ng:
>>
>>> http://www.idph.state.ia.us/IdphNews/Reader.aspx?id=8FBE90B3-4667-4960-9AF5-1B9B477A3805
>>
>>> This is worrisome - not just that our cats can get it, but that it's
>>> continuing to mutate to be able to infect new species.
>>
>>> And now I have to worry about my 13 year old cat getting sick if I do.
>>
>> As if there wasn't enough hysteria.
>>
>> one cat with h1n1 in the entire country.
>> household got over it just like everybody else does 99.99% of the time.
>>
>> Your chance of catching it and giving it to your cat are about the same
>> as a piano falling on your yead. Actually, a lot less.
>> Watch out!
>>

>::looks up:: No piano... yet. Will keep an eye out though.
>
>That's one *documented* case. Doesn't mean there aren't others out
>there. We don't really know yet if H1N1 is harder on cats than people -
>it's harder on kids than adults, so yes I worry a bit, but with the flus
>running rampant through my workplace, I'm already taking precautions.
>
>jmc

It's a flu. I had a flu a few weeks back - sore throat, high fever,
felt crappy for two weeks. Was it H1N1? Who knows? Mostly you get
sick, you get better. The ones who die probably have some other
underlying problem.

jmc
November 6th 09, 10:39 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/6/2009 9:32 AM):
> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:43:27 -0500, jmc
> > wrote:
>
>> Suddenly, without warning, AZ Nomad exclaimed (11/4/2009 10:08 PM):
>>> As if there wasn't enough hysteria.
>>>
>>> one cat with h1n1 in the entire country.
>>> household got over it just like everybody else does 99.99% of the time.
>>>
>>> Your chance of catching it and giving it to your cat are about the same
>>> as a piano falling on your yead. Actually, a lot less.
>>> Watch out!
>>>

>> ::looks up:: No piano... yet. Will keep an eye out though.
>>
>> That's one *documented* case. Doesn't mean there aren't others out
>> there. We don't really know yet if H1N1 is harder on cats than people -
>> it's harder on kids than adults, so yes I worry a bit, but with the flus
>> running rampant through my workplace, I'm already taking precautions.
>>
>> jmc
>

> It's a flu. I had a flu a few weeks back - sore throat, high fever,
> felt crappy for two weeks. Was it H1N1? Who knows? Mostly you get
> sick, you get better. The ones who die probably have some other
> underlying problem.

I don't worry about me - I'm healthy, and not in the high risk groups.
I worry about me giving it to Meep, who's 13 and not in perfect health.

jmc

Bruce
November 7th 09, 06:32 PM
On Nov 6, 2:39*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/6/2009 9:32 AM):
>

> > On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:43:27 -0500, jmc
> > > wrote:
>
> >> Suddenly, without warning, AZ Nomad exclaimed (11/4/2009 10:08 PM):

> >> ::looks up:: *No piano... yet. *Will keep an eye out though.
>
> >> That's one *documented* case. *Doesn't mean there aren't others out
> >> there. *We don't really know yet if H1N1 is harder on cats than people -
> >> it's harder on kids than adults, so yes I worry a bit, but with the flus
> >> running rampant through my workplace, I'm already taking precautions.
>
> >> jmc
>
> > It's a flu. I had a flu a few weeks back - sore throat, high fever,
> > felt crappy for two weeks. Was it H1N1? Who knows? Mostly you get
> > sick, you get better. The ones who die probably have some other
> > underlying problem.
>
> I don't worry about me - I'm healthy, and not in the high risk groups.
> I worry about me giving it to Meep, who's 13 and not in perfect health.
>
> jmc

H1N1 is killing quite a few humans in MileHigh, some of whom had no
idea
they had any "underrlying problems" and yes, here as well, so far the
vaccine
is being withheld except for certain categories of humans. There is no
vaccine
for cats for this flu, so I suggest you quit worrying and keep your
old lady cat
away from anyone visiting your house who even looks like they have a
runny
nose....or worse. As for the piano......your chances of it landing on
you outweigh
old lady cat's chances by far. If you are not a pregnant female nor a
medical
worker I think you should chill.

jmc
November 7th 09, 10:01 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Bruce exclaimed (11/7/2009 12:32 PM):
> On Nov 6, 2:39 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/6/2009 9:32 AM):
>>

>>> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 09:43:27 -0500, jmc
>>> It's a flu. I had a flu a few weeks back - sore throat, high fever,
>>> felt crappy for two weeks. Was it H1N1? Who knows? Mostly you get
>>> sick, you get better. The ones who die probably have some other
>>> underlying problem.
>> I don't worry about me - I'm healthy, and not in the high risk groups.
>> I worry about me giving it to Meep, who's 13 and not in perfect health.
>>
>> jmc
>
> H1N1 is killing quite a few humans in MileHigh, some of whom had no
> idea
> they had any "underrlying problems" and yes, here as well, so far the
> vaccine
> is being withheld except for certain categories of humans. There is no
> vaccine
> for cats for this flu, so I suggest you quit worrying and keep your
> old lady cat
> away from anyone visiting your house who even looks like they have a
> runny
> nose....or worse. As for the piano......your chances of it landing on
> you outweigh
> old lady cat's chances by far. If you are not a pregnant female nor a
> medical
> worker I think you should chill.

ha. Well, maybe it came out like that here, but I'm hardly excited
about the thing. If I get the flu, I get it. I wash my hands before
petting my "old lady cat"(she'd like that description, I think), stay
home, drink hot tea and take Vitamin C. May have already had it in
fact, was fluey for a day, gave it the Treatment and was fine by the
next morning.

jmc

Bruce
November 7th 09, 10:42 PM
On Nov 7, 2:01*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Bruce exclaimed (11/7/2009 12:32 PM):
>

> > On Nov 6, 2:39 pm, jmc > wrote:
> >> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/6/2009 9:32 AM):

> >> I don't worry about me - I'm healthy, and not in the high risk groups.
> >> I worry about me giving it to Meep, who's 13 and not in perfect health..
>
> >> jmc
>
> > H1N1 is killing quite a few humans in MileHigh, some of whom had no
> > idea
> > they had any "underrlying problems" and yes, here as well, so far the
> > vaccine
> > is being withheld except for certain categories of humans. There is no
> > vaccine
> > for cats for this flu, so I suggest you quit worrying and keep your
> > old lady cat
> > away from anyone visiting your house who even looks like they have a
> > runny
> > nose....or worse. As for the piano......your chances of it landing on
> > you outweigh
> > old lady cat's chances by far. If you are not a pregnant female nor a
> > medical
> > worker I think you should chill.
>
> ha. *Well, maybe it came out like that here, but I'm hardly excited
> about the thing. *If I get the flu, I get it. *I wash my hands before
> petting my "old lady cat"(she'd like that description, I think), stay
> home, drink hot tea and take Vitamin C. *May have already had it in
> fact, was fluey for a day, gave it the Treatment and was fine by the
> next morning.
>
> jmc

Who knows what it was you had. I have relative here same thing had flu
symptoms for a week, I was taking care of his daughter all week while
he didn't work in food service, and neither she nor I caught anything
then.
Give the old lady cat a big love from me...all the strays and
throwaways
I took in through the years were never kittens, always more on the NOT
young side agewise. They left sooner but at least till they did, lived
safe happy lives indoors with me and their peers. I have no dogs.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 04:44 AM
"Bruce" > wrote in message
Give the old lady cat a big love from me...all the strays and
throwaways
I took in through the years were never kittens, always more on the NOT
young side agewise. They left sooner but at least till they did, lived
safe happy lives indoors with me and their peers. I have no dogs.

That's very nice of you to take in the older cats few people would want to
adopt. I've taken in a few older strays over the years, but given a choice,
I'd rather start out with kittens.