PDA

View Full Version : Relapse/bad news

Kelly Greene
November 6th 09, 04:17 AM
The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to bed
we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress. Her
eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.

Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also has
her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like a
miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering. It's
plain to see.

Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered over
here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added for
a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her coat
looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick cat
or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage. Her
muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks are
most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS and
Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
failure.

Phil P.
November 6th 09, 04:35 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
bed
> we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
> hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress.
Her
> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>
> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also
has
> her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
> positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like
> miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
> almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
It's
> plain to see.
>
> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
over
> here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added
for
> a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her
coat
> looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick
cat
> or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage.
Her
> muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks
are
> most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS
and
> Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
> failure.

Did you have her T-4 checked for hyperthyroidism? Not all hyperthyroid cats
have ravenous appetites- so don't be too quick to rule it out.

Good luck.

cybercat
November 6th 09, 05:13 AM

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all
>> yesterday
>> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
>> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
> bed
>> we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
>> hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
>> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress.
> Her
>> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>>
>> Enter a new Dr.

Thank you. I hope he can find out what is wrong with her. Poor baby.

FirstHit
November 6th 09, 06:19 AM
On Nov 5, 8:17*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> The cat had a severe relapse last night. *She was acting odd all yesterday
> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. *When we went to bed
> we feared the worst. *We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
> hardly able to move at all. *This was the worst she has been in since she
> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress. Her
> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>
> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also has
> her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
> positive response to Pred as the first time. *The first time it acted like a
> miracle drug in only a few hours. *She's in her carry case (by choice)
> almost all day today. *After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering. It's
> plain to see.
>
> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered over
> here. *She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added for
> a month. *I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. *But her coat
> looks worse by the day. *It looks like the coat of a very very old sick cat
> or one infested with parasites which she is not. *Also, muscle wastage. Her
> muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks are
> most likely fluid from the Pred. *Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS and
> Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
> failure.

Very sad to hear of this relapse. I am worried for her.

Thanks for the update. I hope that the drugs do good and the vet can
determine what exactly is going on.

FirstHit

dgk
November 6th 09, 02:35 PM
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:17:42 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
wrote:

>The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
>evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
>little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to bed
>we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
>hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
>walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress. Her
>eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>
>Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also has
>her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
>positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like a
>miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
>almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
>said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
>The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering. It's
>plain to see.
>
>Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered over
>here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added for
>a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her coat
>looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick cat
>or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage. Her
>muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks are
>most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS and
>Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
>failure.

You're doing the best you can. Purrs for the kitty. Sorry it was such
a tough five weeks and I'm pulling for her.

Kelly Greene
November 6th 09, 04:16 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all
>> yesterday
>> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
>> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
> bed
>> we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
>> hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
>> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress.
> Her
>> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>>
>> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also
> has
>> her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
>> positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted
>> like
>> miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
>> almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
>> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
>> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
> It's
>> plain to see.
>>
>> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
> over
>> here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added
> for
>> a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her
> coat
>> looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick
> cat
>> or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage.
> Her
>> muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks
> are
>> most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS
> and
>> Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
>> failure.
>
> Did you have her T-4 checked for hyperthyroidism? Not all hyperthyroid
> cats
> have ravenous appetites- so don't be too quick to rule it out.
>
> Good luck.

I don't think she was checked for that since it doesn't cause tight curling
to one side and loss of balance. The curling to one side is her main issue.

Kelly Greene
November 6th 09, 04:22 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 5, 8:17 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to bed
> we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
> hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress.
> Her
> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>
> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also
> has
> her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
> positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like
> miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
> almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
> It's
> plain to see.
>
> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
> over
> here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added
> for
> a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her coat
> looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick cat
> or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage. Her
> muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks
> are
> most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS
> and
> Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
> failure.

Very sad to hear of this relapse. I am worried for her.

Thanks for the update. I hope that the drugs do good and the vet can
determine what exactly is going on.

FirstHit
~ ~ ~
This is the second vet and the diagnosis was the same. :*(

Kelly Greene
November 6th 09, 04:29 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:17:42 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
> wrote:
>
>>The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
>>evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
>>little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
>>bed
>>we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the left,
>>hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since she
>>walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe distress.
>>Her
>>eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>>
>>Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also
>>has
>>her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
>>positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like
>>miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
>>almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
>>said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
>>The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
>>It's
>>plain to see.
>>
>>Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
>>over
>>here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3 added
>>for
>>a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her
>>coat
>>looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick
>>cat
>>or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage.
>>Her
>>muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks
>>are
>>most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat AIDS
>>and
>>Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
>>failure.
>>

> You're doing the best you can. Purrs for the kitty. Sorry it was such
> a tough five weeks and I'm pulling for her.

We've resigned ourselves. :*( MRIs and CT scans are out of our reach.

MaryL
November 6th 09, 07:30 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all yesterday
> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs and
> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
> bed we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the
> left, hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in
> since she walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe
> distress. Her eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
>
> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She also
> has her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
> positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted like
> a miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
> almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the vet
> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not respond.
> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
> It's plain to see.
>
> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
> over here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3
> added for a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner.
> But her coat looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very
> very old sick cat or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also,
> muscle wastage. Her muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in
> the past 5 weeks are most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal
> parasites, cat AIDS and Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no
> evidence of kidney failure.

I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds far more serious than an inner ear
infection to me (even with bone problems). This sounds like neurological
problems. I have no medical training, so that's purely guesswork--I'm very
glad that you sought a second opinion. Even if there is no way to save this
little kitty (and it's sounding that way), you have at least given her a
chance. Thank you!

MaryL

Kelly Greene
November 9th 09, 08:58 AM
. ..

> I'm so sorry to hear this. It sounds far more serious than an inner ear
> infection to me (even with bone problems). This sounds like neurological
> problems. I have no medical training, so that's purely guesswork--I'm
> very glad that you sought a second opinion. Even if there is no way to
> save this little kitty (and it's sounding that way), you have at least
> given her a chance. Thank you!
>
> MaryL

She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've had
in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(

FirstHit
November 9th 09, 09:54 AM
On Nov 9, 12:58*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > I'm so sorry to hear this. *It sounds far more serious than an inner ear
> > infection to me (even with bone problems). *This sounds like neurological
> > problems. *I have no medical training, so that's purely guesswork--I'm
> > very glad that you sought a second opinion. *Even if there is no way to
> > save this little kitty (and it's sounding that way), you have at least
> > given her a chance. *Thank you!
>
> > MaryL
>
> She's still very bad. *There's been no improvement at all. *I'll call the
> vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
> extremely depressing for us. *This past month has been the worst we've had
> in years. *Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
> healthy lives. *I think it's time we let her go....... * *:*(

Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 9th 09, 05:13 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:

> She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
> vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
> extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've had
> in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
> healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(

Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.

FirstHit

We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We plan
to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that humanely
puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She appeared to
have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter misery and most
likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel, both to her and us.

dgk
November 9th 09, 06:11 PM
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:13:30 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
wrote:

>"FirstHit" > wrote in message
>On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>>
>> She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
>> vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
>> extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've had
>> in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
>> healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(
>
>Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.
>
>FirstHit
>

>We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We plan
>to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that humanely
>puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She appeared to
>have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter misery and most
>likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel, both to her and us.

Oh, I just hate reading this but thanks for posting anyway. Sometimes
you wonder if you waited too long to put them out of their misery but
whatever is going on with this cat is just too much. At least you
won't have that internal debate. Purrs however it goes.

MLB[_2_]
November 9th 09, 07:46 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
> On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>>
>> She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
>> vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
>> extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've had
>> in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
>> healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(
>
> Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.
>
> FirstHit
>

> We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We
> plan to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that
> humanely puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now.
> She appeared to have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter
> misery and most likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel,
> both to her and us.

You have done everything possible to ease her suffering. Now let her
rest in peace.
",,,,Rise up slowly, Angel...." It's hard to let you go.
Condolences to those who mourn. MLB

MaryL
November 9th 09, 11:00 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
> On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>>
>> She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
>> vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is getting
>> extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've had
>> in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
>> healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(
>
> Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.
>
> FirstHit
>

> We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We
> plan to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that
> humanely puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She
> appeared to have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter misery
> and most likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel, both to
> her and us.

I'm so sorry to hear this, but I really do appreciate the efforts you took
to help her (both emotional and financial). This is the most difficult of
all decisions when taking care of our furbabies, but it eventually becomes
the most humane thing to do--a true act of kindness and love.

MaryL

Phil P.
November 10th 09, 12:15 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> >> The cat had a severe relapse last night. She was acting odd all
> >> yesterday
> >> evening. Restless, with what looked like a weakness in her hind legs
and
> >> little appetite. She didn't eat or drink much all day. When we went to
> > bed
> >> we feared the worst. We woke up to find her in a tight curl to the
left,
> >> hardly able to move at all. This was the worst she has been in since
she
> >> walked in our door 5 weeks ago. We could see she was in severe
distress.
> > Her
> >> eyes were glazed and her voice very weak.
> >>
> >> Enter a new Dr. The new Dr put her on Enrofloxacin for 21 days. She
also
> > has
> >> her on Pred' as did the other vet, but so far there has not been the
> >> positive response to Pred as the first time. The first time it acted
> >> like
> >> miracle drug in only a few hours. She's in her carry case (by choice)
> >> almost all day today. After these 21 days on the new antibiotic, the
vet
> >> said we'll discuss what can possibly be done next should she not
respond.
> >> The last antibiotic apparently did nothing. The cat is still suffering.
> > It's
> >> plain to see.
> >>
> >> Other symptoms are her poor coat. It's worse now than when she wandered
> > over
> >> here. She's been getting mostly wet food with Missing Link Omega3
added
> > for
> >> a month. I also add some chicken fat or butter to her dinner. But her
> > coat
> >> looks worse by the day. It looks like the coat of a very very old sick
> > cat
> >> or one infested with parasites which she is not. Also, muscle wastage.
> > Her
> >> muscles are wasting away. The few ounces she gained in the past 5 weeks
> > are
> >> most likely fluid from the Pred. Tests for internal parasites, cat
AIDS
> > and
> >> Leukemia were again negative. Blood work shows no evidence of kidney
> >> failure.
> >
> > Did you have her T-4 checked for hyperthyroidism? Not all hyperthyroid
> > cats
> > have ravenous appetites- so don't be too quick to rule it out.
> >
> > Good luck.
>
> I don't think she was checked for that since it doesn't cause tight
curling
> to one side and loss of balance. The curling to one side is her main
issue.

Ventral flexion of the neck is one of the clinical signs of hyperthyroidism.
Your cat is displaying several clinical signs of hyperthyroidism. If I were
you I'd order a T-4 test. Its only $40.

Phil P.
November 10th 09, 01:13 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
> On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> >
> > She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
> > vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is
getting
> > extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've
had
> > in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
> > healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(
>
> Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.
>
> FirstHit
>

> We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We
plan
> to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that humanely
> puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She appeared
> have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter misery and most
> likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel, both to her and
us.

I'm sorry I didn't read your post before I replied.

In light of the latest developments, I think you're giving her the greatest
gift of all.

My condolences,

Phil

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 02:16 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> Oh, I just hate reading this but thanks for posting anyway. Sometimes
> you wonder if you waited too long to put them out of their misery but
> whatever is going on with this cat is just too much. At least you
> won't have that internal debate. Purrs however it goes.

I had a good cry and we took her. We knew it was the right thing. She seemed
to be in a daze, unaware of what was going on. Her rear legs were
stiffening, getting paralyzed. They treated her with total respect and I
know tonight she's in a better place. Her suffering is over. I think my
husband and I both knew there was no hope for her some time back, but wanted
her to have a chance. But from the end of one's life came life for two
more.

We went over to look at the cats and kittens in the adoption section. My
heart broke for them. We adopted two little girl kitties. One is a 6 wk old
brown tabby Main Coon fuzzy type, just weaned, and the other a gray mottled
with white 4 month old American Shorthair kitty. The little one is Phaedra
and the larger Zephyr. Zephyr is a total lap cat. Phaedra is too young yet
to seek much attention and just wants to run around and play with her toys
and "attack" Zephyr. Zephyr uses the poor little thing like a toy but little
Phaedra loves it. What a pair. :-)

Phaedra finally fell asleep in the laundry I was about to wash, so I left
her there. I can do the laundry tomorrow. Zephyr, her little "play toy"
sleeping, was going back and forth from my husband to myself... from one lap
to another. She finally settled down on one of the chairs near my desk and
is grooming her beautiful coat. :-)

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 02:22 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We
>> plan to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that
>> humanely puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She
>> appeared to have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter
>> misery and most likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel,
>> both to her and us.
>

> You have done everything possible to ease her suffering. Now let her rest
> in peace.
> ",,,,Rise up slowly, Angel...." It's hard to let you go.
> Condolences to those who mourn. MLB

It was so hard, so very hard to let her go. We had so hoped she would
recover. :*(

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 02:25 AM
. ..

> I'm so sorry to hear this, but I really do appreciate the efforts you took
> to help her (both emotional and financial). This is the most difficult of
> all decisions when taking care of our furbabies, but it eventually becomes
> the most humane thing to do--a true act of kindness and love.
>
> MaryL

We gave her the care she needed at the end of her life. She didn't die alone
under the outbuilding or in the woods. I know I'll see her again at the
Rainbow Bridge. I have to believe that tonight........... :*(

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 02:54 AM
On Nov 9, 6:16*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message

> > Oh, I just hate reading this but thanks for posting anyway. Sometimes
> > you wonder if you waited too long to put them out of their misery but
> > whatever is going on with this cat is just too much. At least you
> > won't have that internal debate. Purrs however it goes.
>
> I had a good cry and we took her. We knew it was the right thing. She seemed
> to be in a daze, unaware of what was going on. *Her rear legs were
> stiffening, getting paralyzed. *They treated her with total respect and I
> know tonight she's in a better place. Her suffering is over. *I think my
> husband and I both knew there was no hope for her some time back, but wanted
> her to have a chance. *But from the end of one's life came life for two
> more.
>
> We went over to look at the cats and kittens in the adoption section. My
> heart broke for them. We adopted two little girl kitties. *One is a 6 wk old
> brown tabby Main Coon fuzzy type, just weaned, and the other a gray mottled
> with white 4 month old American Shorthair kitty. *The little one is Phaedra
> and the larger Zephyr. Zephyr is a total lap cat. Phaedra is too young yet
> to seek much attention and just wants to run around and play with her toys
> and "attack" Zephyr. Zephyr uses the poor little thing like a toy but little
> Phaedra loves it. *What a pair. :-)
>
> Phaedra finally fell asleep in the laundry I was about to wash, so I left
> her there. I can do the laundry tomorrow. Zephyr, her little "play toy"
> sleeping, was going back and forth from my husband to myself... from one lap
> to another. *She finally settled down on one of the chairs near my desk and
> is grooming her beautiful coat. *:-)

Sorry things didn't turn out better, but you did your best and went
all out for the poor kitty, and you can be happy about what you did
for her. It will all be worth it when you meet again.

Adopting the two kitties was a wonderful thing. I wish the kitties
many years of health. You and the kitties deserve that!

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 08:00 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> I don't think she was checked for that since it doesn't cause tight
> curling
>> to one side and loss of balance. The curling to one side is her main
> issue.
>>

> Ventral flexion of the neck is one of the clinical signs of
> hyperthyroidism.
> Your cat is displaying several clinical signs of hyperthyroidism. If I
> were
> you I'd order a T-4 test. Its only $40.

She was twisted to the left in a tight curl and could only move in a curled
direction. After she suffered a seizure (she may have had several that
night) and lost control of her bladder and bowels, went into a daze and
could no longer swallow, we had her mercifully euthanized. Enough was
enough already. She's not suffering anymore.

Had it been a thyroid problem, the Pred' would not have made the difference
it did the fist two times.

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 08:04 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message

Adopting the two kitties was a wonderful thing. I wish the kitties
many years of health. You and the kitties deserve that!

FirstHit

We're leaving for the vet in a few minutes for a complete exam, have fecals
run ... whatever. These little girls, one nearing the end of her "time" at
the shelter, will be much loved and get the best care we can afford for
them.

Matthew[_3_]
November 10th 09, 08:12 PM
I am very sorry Kelly
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I don't think she was checked for that since it doesn't cause tight
>> curling
>>> to one side and loss of balance. The curling to one side is her main
>> issue.
>>>

>> Ventral flexion of the neck is one of the clinical signs of
>> hyperthyroidism.
>> Your cat is displaying several clinical signs of hyperthyroidism. If I
>> were
>> you I'd order a T-4 test. Its only $40.
>

> She was twisted to the left in a tight curl and could only move in a
> curled direction. After she suffered a seizure (she may have had several
> that night) and lost control of her bladder and bowels, went into a daze
> and could no longer swallow, we had her mercifully euthanized. Enough was
> enough already. She's not suffering anymore.
>
> Had it been a thyroid problem, the Pred' would not have made the
> difference it did the fist two times.

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:03 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>> On Nov 9, 12:58 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>> >
>> > She's still very bad. There's been no improvement at all. I'll call the
>> > vet tomorrow and see what she recommends now. This whole thing is
> getting
>> > extremely depressing for us. This past month has been the worst we've
> had
>> > in years. Like us humans, not all cats born are destined to live long
>> > healthy lives. I think it's time we let her go....... :*(
>>
>> Sorry to hear. I can imagine how depressing this is.
>>
>> FirstHit
>>

>> We're waiting for the vet to call us back but that's really futile. We
> plan
>> to take her to the shelter in a nearby town this afternoon that humanely
>> puts them to sleep. She's losing control of her bladder now. She appeared
>> have a seizure last night and it's clear she's in utter misery and most
>> likely pain. To prolong the inevitable would be cruel, both to her and
> us.
>

> I'm sorry I didn't read your post before I replied.
>
> In light of the latest developments, I think you're giving her the
> greatest
> gift of all.
>
> My condolences,
>
> Phil

Thank you...... I still get teary eyed....... :*(

Kelly Greene
November 11th 09, 12:54 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I am very sorry Kelly

Thank you Matthew, it was a very emotionally painful experience to see her
fail despite our efforts. :*(

Kelly Greene
November 11th 09, 01:19 AM
"Noon Cat Nick" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]_s22...
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>

>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>
> When humans die, they make a will
> To leave their homes, and all they
> Have to those they love.
>
> I too would make a will, if I could write.
> To some poor, wistful, lonely stray
> I'd leave my happy home,
> My dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy,
> The well-loved lap,
> The gently stroking hand,
> The loving voice,
> The place I made in someone's heart,
> The love, that at the last
> Could help me to a peaceful, painless end
> Held in loving arms.
>
> If I should die,
> Oh! Do not say:
> "No more a pet I'll have
> To grieve me by its loss."
> Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
> And give my place to him.
> This is my legacy,
> The love I leave behind,
> 'Tis all I have to give.
>
> --Margaret Trowton

~~~~~~~~
Respectful brevity snip.

Thank you Noon, your post was very moving. I truly appreciate it. I'm
taking Lucky's loss harder than I should. :*(

Patty Jo
November 11th 09, 03:18 AM
This has always comforted me in these kinds of situations. I hope it
will also bring peace and closure to you:
LETTER FROM LUCKY

http://www.wtv-zone.com/nywoman/PAGES/PAGE30.html

Kelly Greene
November 11th 09, 05:34 AM
"Patty Jo" > wrote in message
> This has always comforted me in these kinds of situations. I hope it
> will also bring peace and closure to you:
> LETTER FROM LUCKY
>
> http://www.wtv-zone.com/nywoman/PAGES/PAGE30.html

That was lovely, thank you.