PDA

View Full Version : Pet meds online

Kelly Greene
November 9th 09, 08:54 AM
Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good experience
or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy your pets meds
wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you recommend?

Matthew[_3_]
November 9th 09, 05:39 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
> recommend?

I use a online place for my cats hyperthyroidism. I pay $30 for 100 day
supplies instead of my vet $30 for 30days

What happens is the place will call, email or fax your vet just like a
pharmacy does when you get a medication from your doctors.com

What type of medication is it you may be able to use a normal online
pharmacy I use drugstore.com for my cat

Kelly Greene
November 9th 09, 05:43 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
>> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
>> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
>> recommend?
>

> I use a online place for my cats hyperthyroidism. I pay $30 for 100 day
> supplies instead of my vet $30 for 30days
>
> What happens is the place will call, email or fax your vet just like a
> pharmacy does when you get a medication from your doctors.com
>
> What type of medication is it you may be able to use a normal online
> pharmacy I use drugstore.com for my cat

Thanks. I'll look at those sites. The vets here are refusing to co-operate
with online sites because they lose business = $$$. They want people to buy
from them. I want to get Revolution online since it's so much cheaper.

Have you gone to the Wal*Mart pharmacy? I pay $8 for a 90 day supply of
thyroid medication for myself. In many cases the same medication used for
humans is used for animals.

Matthew[_3_]
November 9th 09, 06:03 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
>>> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
>>> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
>>> recommend?
>>

>> I use a online place for my cats hyperthyroidism. I pay $30 for 100 day
>> supplies instead of my vet $30 for 30days
>>
>> What happens is the place will call, email or fax your vet just like a
>> pharmacy does when you get a medication from your doctors.com
>>
>> What type of medication is it you may be able to use a normal online
>> pharmacy I use drugstore.com for my cat
>
> Thanks. I'll look at those sites. The vets here are refusing to co-operate
> with online sites because they lose business = $$$. They want people to
> buy from them. I want to get Revolution online since it's so much
> cheaper.
>
> Have you gone to the Wal*Mart pharmacy? I pay $8 for a 90 day supply of
> thyroid medication for myself. In many cases the same medication used for
> humans is used for animals.

Unfortunately the medication he takes Wal-Mart does not have :-(

You have some **** poor vets if they pull that crap. I would tell them to
call it into your local pharmacy than transfer it over to a lower cost
site. IF they refuse than you know your vets is a con artist

bill
November 9th 09, 07:22 PM
On Nov 9, 10:03*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message ...
>
> >> I use a online place for my cats *hyperthyroidism. *I pay $30 for 100 day
> >> supplies instead of my vet $30 for 30days
>
> >> What happens is the place will call, email or fax your vet just like a
> >> pharmacy does when you get a medication from your doctors.com
>
> >> What type of medication is it *you may be able to use a normal online
> >> pharmacy *I use drugstore.com for my cat
>
> > Thanks. I'll look at those sites. The vets here are refusing to co-operate
> > with online sites because they lose business = $$$. They want people to
> > buy from them. *I want to get Revolution online since it's so much
> > cheaper.
>
> > Have you gone to the Wal*Mart pharmacy? *I pay $8 for a 90 day supply of
> > thyroid medication for myself. *In many cases the same medication used for
> > humans is used for animals.
>
> Unfortunately the medication he takes Wal-Mart does not have :-(
>
> You have some **** poor vets if they pull that crap. *I would tell them to
> call it into your local pharmacy *than transfer it over to a lower cost
> site. *IF they refuse *than you know your vets is a con artist- Hide quoted text -

I went from vet to vet around town asking what they charged for
Vetsulin. Some responded "well you tell us what you are paying now
and we will see if we can do a little better than that." I replied
that this was not the way the game was played. When they then told me
their price I found wild variations from one vet to the next. I would
not be surprised if other medications are the same way. I then
mentioned to each one that the price on the net was as little as 1/3
the price they were quoting. Each vet tech at the desk pretty much
responded "so." But after half a dozen different vets I got a
surprising answer from one, "you bring us the ad showing what the
price is and we will match that, but you will have to pay for the
first office visit so we have a patient." I have not actually tried
that yet, but the next time the current vet says he cannot just keep
prescribing without getting paid a hundred dollars or more each year
to see the cat for five minutes I will go back to the vet who said
they would price match, check that this still holds and if so pay them
the annual visit cost. If that works it will pay for itself several
times over every year. At the same time I'll check and see if that
vet will match the net prices for Purina DM. If so that could cut
costs in half again. And I will ask if the vet wants me to spread the
word around town and potentially have a small mob of people switch
from their current vet. If anyone reading this has a little time and
would want to check around their town to see if there are large
variations in medication prices I think a number of people reading
this might be very interested. Checking reasonable looking vets who
are not in expensive neighborhoods and offices might be good to
compare with the "vanity vets", but I didn't find any clear pattern to
the prices I was quoted.

jmc
November 10th 09, 12:03 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
> recommend?

I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ for Meep's Revolution, so far with
good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
prescription medicines.

I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.

jmc

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 12:23 AM
On Nov 9, 4:03*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>
> > Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> > experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
> > your pets meds wherever you wish? *What online petmed Co would you
> > recommend?
>
> I usehttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/for Meep's Revolution, so far with
> good results. *The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. *Once the
> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
> * The savings were significant. *Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> prescription medicines.
>
> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> pharmacies. *Ask for a paper prescription. *I sort of got the impression
> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> jmc

If the vet refuses a paper prescription, that is such BS. In Kelly's
two-vet town, they might be able to get away with it if it is legal
and they both do that, but in a city with more vets, I'd tell them if
they don't cooperate, not only will they not get to sell me a
prescription, they'll not get an office visit from me either.

This is really crappy. Vets should love animals. Everyone might not
be able to afford the vet's high prescription prices, and if the
client can find more reasonable prices elsewhere, then the client
should be able to buy where he chooses!

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 12:57 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks. I'll look at those sites. The vets here are refusing to
>> co-operate with online sites because they lose business = $$$. They want
>> people to buy from them. I want to get Revolution online since it's so
>> much cheaper.
>>
>> Have you gone to the Wal*Mart pharmacy? I pay $8 for a 90 day supply of
>> thyroid medication for myself. In many cases the same medication used
>> for humans is used for animals.
>>

> Unfortunately the medication he takes Wal-Mart does not have :-(
>
> You have some **** poor vets if they pull that crap. I would tell them to
> call it into your local pharmacy than transfer it over to a lower cost
> site. IF they refuse than you know your vets is a con artist

I agree. It's what people who live in rural and semi-rural areas have to put
up with. Selling the meds they recommend is a big part of their income.

There are things local drug stores wont carry such as wormers and
Revolution. Can they even call that in?

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 01:28 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
>> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
>> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
>> recommend?
>
> I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ for Meep's Revolution, so far with
> good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
> The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> prescription medicines.
>
> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.

I'm going to ask her tomorrow what they charge for 3 treatments (a 90 day
supply) of Revolution. Out here with all the wild animals, fleas are a
serious problem even to indoor cats. If there's more than a few dollars
difference, I ask her for a prescription.

> jmc

Matthew[_3_]
November 10th 09, 01:40 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>>> Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
>>> experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
>>> your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
>>> recommend?
>>
>> I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ for Meep's Revolution, so far with
>> good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
>> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
>> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
>> The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
>> prescription medicines.
>>
>> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
>> pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
>> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> I'm going to ask her tomorrow what they charge for 3 treatments (a 90 day
> supply) of Revolution. Out here with all the wild animals, fleas are a
> serious problem even to indoor cats. If there's more than a few dollars
> difference, I ask her for a prescription.
>

>> jmc

Kelly have you tried advantage

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 01:52 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 9, 4:03 pm, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>
> > Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> > experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
> > your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
> > recommend?
>
> I usehttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/for Meep's Revolution, so far with
> good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
> The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> prescription medicines.
>
> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> jmc

>If the vet refuses a paper prescription, that is such BS. In Kelly's
two-vet town, they might be able to get away with it if it is legal
and they both do that, but in a city with more vets, I'd tell them if
they don't cooperate, not only will they not get to sell me a
prescription, they'll not get an office visit from me either.

City people have a lot more choices. We have to take what we can get or
travel some distance with no guarantee the other vet is any better.

>This is really crappy. Vets should love animals.

Too many are in it for the money. :(

>Everyone might not
be able to afford the vet's high prescription prices, and if the
client can find more reasonable prices elsewhere, then the client
should be able to buy where he chooses!

I agree with you 100%, especially people with several cats.

>FirstHit

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 02:43 AM
On Nov 9, 5:40*pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > "jmc" > wrote in message
> >> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>
> >> I usehttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/for Meep's Revolution, so far with
> >> good results. *The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> >> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. *Once the
> >> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order..
> >> The savings were significant. *Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> >> prescription medicines.
>
> >> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> >> pharmacies. *Ask for a paper prescription. *I sort of got the impression
> >> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> > I'm going to ask her tomorrow what they charge for 3 treatments (a 90 day
> > supply) of Revolution. *Out here with all the wild animals, fleas are a
> > serious problem even to indoor cats. *If there's more than a few dollars
> > difference, I ask her for a prescription.
>
> >> jmc
>
> Kelly have you tried advantage

Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.

FirstHit

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 03:00 AM
On Nov 9, 5:52*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> On Nov 9, 4:03 pm, jmc > wrote:
>

> > Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>
> > > Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> > > experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can buy
> > > your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
> > > recommend?
>
> > I usehttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/forMeep's Revolution, so far with
> > good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> > online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
> > scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
> > The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> > prescription medicines.
>
> > I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> > pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
> > that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> > jmc
> >If the vet refuses a paper prescription, that is such BS. *In Kelly's
>
> two-vet town, they might be able to get away with it if it is legal
> and they both do that, but in a city with more vets, I'd tell them if
> they don't cooperate, not only will they not get to sell me a
> prescription, they'll not get an office visit from me either.
>
> City people have a lot more choices. *We have to take what we can get or
> travel some distance with no guarantee the other vet is any better.
>
> >This is really crappy. *Vets should love animals.
>
> Too many are in it for the money. *:(
>
> >Everyone might not
>
> be able to afford the vet's high prescription prices, and if the
> client can find more reasonable prices elsewhere, then the client
> should be able to buy where he chooses!
>
> I agree with you 100%, especially people with several cats.

The more I think about this, the more I get annoyed with your vet.
The vet is using the prescription process to force you to buy from her/
him. That's not the intent of the prescription laws. I believe you
paid for the writing of any appropriate prescriptions when you paid
for your office visit. If the vet won't write you a prescription, I
think that's unethical, and (as jmc mentioned) possibly illegal.

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 07:37 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 9, 5:52 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> On Nov 9, 4:03 pm, jmc > wrote:
>

> > Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>
> > > Has anyone bought medication for pets online? Did you have a good
> > > experience or bad? Does your vet give you a prescription so you can
> > > buy
> > > your pets meds wherever you wish? What online petmed Co would you
> > > recommend?
>
> > I usehttp://www.drsfostersmith.com/forMeep's Revolution, so far with
> > good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
> > online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
> > scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
> > The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
> > prescription medicines.
>
> > I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
> > pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
> > that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>
> > jmc
> >If the vet refuses a paper prescription, that is such BS. In Kelly's
>
> two-vet town, they might be able to get away with it if it is legal
> and they both do that, but in a city with more vets, I'd tell them if
> they don't cooperate, not only will they not get to sell me a
> prescription, they'll not get an office visit from me either.
>
> City people have a lot more choices. We have to take what we can get or
> travel some distance with no guarantee the other vet is any better.
>
> >This is really crappy. Vets should love animals.
>
> Too many are in it for the money. :(
>
> >Everyone might not
>
> be able to afford the vet's high prescription prices, and if the
> client can find more reasonable prices elsewhere, then the client
> should be able to buy where he chooses!
>
> I agree with you 100%, especially people with several cats.

The more I think about this, the more I get annoyed with your vet.
The vet is using the prescription process to force you to buy from her/
him. That's not the intent of the prescription laws. I believe you
paid for the writing of any appropriate prescriptions when you paid
for your office visit. If the vet won't write you a prescription, I
think that's unethical, and (as jmc mentioned) possibly illegal.

FirstHit

I don't intend to go back to that vet. The new girls are going to the other
vet this this afternoon. I'll see what her policy is and find out what's
legal from the Shelter if she refuses to write prescriptions.

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 07:43 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (11/9/2009 3:54 AM):
>>>
>>> I use http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ for Meep's Revolution, so far with
>>> good results. The only hitch was that my vet also will not deal with
>>> online pharmacies, but will write a scrip which I then mailed. Once the
>>> scrip was received, I received an email and was able to place an order.
>>> The savings were significant. Vets sometimes grossly overcharge for
>>> prescription medicines.
>>>
>>> I see in a later post that your vet won't "deal" with the online
>>> pharmacies. Ask for a paper prescription. I sort of got the impression
>>> that they're not allowed to refuse that, though I could be wrong.
>>
>> I'm going to ask her tomorrow what they charge for 3 treatments (a 90 day
>> supply) of Revolution. Out here with all the wild animals, fleas are a
>> serious problem even to indoor cats. If there's more than a few dollars
>> difference, I ask her for a prescription.
>>

>>> jmc
>>

> Kelly have you tried advantage

Yes, but on dogs, some years back. It didn't work. What did work was a flea
hormone spray for a lot less. But I can't find that product anymore. It
worked by stopping flea larvae from maturing.

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 07:47 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message

Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.

FirstHit

I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like Revolution
because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.

Matthew[_3_]
November 10th 09, 07:55 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> FirstHit
>

> I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.

Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 08:51 PM
On Nov 10, 11:43*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>
> g.com...

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 08:52 PM
On Nov 10, 11:55*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> > Good point. *If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>
> Advantage has a version like that also *I believe it is advantage multi

Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.

FirstHit

Matthew[_3_]
November 10th 09, 09:40 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> > Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>
> Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi

Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.

FirstHit

umm no it doesn't I buy it right off the shelf

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+Multi-prod10945.html

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 10:00 PM
On Nov 10, 1:40*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>

> > "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> > > Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> > > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> > > FirstHit
>
> > > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> > > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>
> > Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi
>
> Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.
>
> FirstHit
>
> umm no it doesn't I buy it right off the shelf
>
> http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+Multi-prod10945.html

That's strange. DrsFostersmith is selling it as a prescritption for
sure:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16902
It says it's a prescription, and if you try to check out, it asks for
the prescription info.

Are you getting yours from petmeds.com? The page whose link you gave
has a link on how to order prescription drugs on it, which implies
they require a prescription.

FirstHit

Matthew[_3_]
November 10th 09, 10:33 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 10, 1:40 pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>

> > "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> > > Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> > > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> > > FirstHit
>
> > > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> > > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>
> > Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi
>
> Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.
>
> FirstHit
>
> umm no it doesn't I buy it right off the shelf
>
> http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+Multi-prod10945.html

That's strange. DrsFostersmith is selling it as a prescritption for
sure:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16902
It says it's a prescription, and if you try to check out, it asks for
the prescription info.

Are you getting yours from petmeds.com? The page whose link you gave
has a link on how to order prescription drugs on it, which implies
they require a prescription.

FirstHit

Yes right from the link. I see what you are talking about never had to
worry about it before. It might be something new
I also get mine from a pet smart type store in our local area it sells all
the brands. I can also go pick it up from my vets office with out ever being
a patient or seeing the vet.

FirstHit
November 10th 09, 11:05 PM
On Nov 10, 2:33*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> On Nov 10, 1:40 pm, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>

> > "FirstHit" > wrote in message

> > On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
> > wrote:

> > > Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi
>
> > Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> > umm no it doesn't I buy it right off the shelf
>
> >http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+Multi-prod10945.html
>
> That's strange. *DrsFostersmith is selling it as a prescritption for
> sure:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16902
> It says it's a prescription, and if you try to check out, it asks for
> the prescription info.
>
> Are you getting yours from petmeds.com? *The page whose link you gave
> has a link on how to order prescription drugs on it, which implies
> they require a prescription.
>
> FirstHit
>
> Yes right from the link. *I see what you are talking about *never had to
> worry about it before. *It might be something new
> I also get mine from a pet smart type store in our local area *it sells all
> the brands. I can also go pick it up from my vets office with out ever being
> a patient or seeing the vet.

Apparently they're kinda loose on the prescription thing. Years ago,
Program was a prescription drug, and I was getting it from an out-of-
state vet I met online who never saw my cat, so I've experienced
something like that myself. Also, my previous cat was on a
prescription diet, and about half the time when I went in to pick it
up at the vet's, they didn't bother to identify me or make sure the
cat had been prescribed that.

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:07 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>>
>> Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
>> Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>>
>> FirstHit
>>

>> I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
>> Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>

> Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi

Where are you people buying Advantage? The multi would work here. Do any
of the big stores like PetsMart or Petco carry it do you know?

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:24 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>
> > Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
> > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
> > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>
> Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi

Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.

FirstHit
~~~~~~~~~

This new Vet gave me a prescription for Revolution. :-)

Zephyr is 4 lbs and Phaedra 1.14 lbs. Right now both are on antibiotics for
an upper respiratory infection and Coccidia medication.

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:33 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "FirstHit" > wrote in message
> On Nov 10, 11:55 am, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

>> > "FirstHit" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Good point. If it's just fleas one is trying to treat, you can get
>> > Advantage Flea Control without a prescription.
>>
>> > FirstHit
>>
>> > I can always give it a try with the girls, but the vets here like
>> > Revolution because it gets some worms, fleas and ear mites.
>>
>> Advantage has a version like that also I believe it is advantage multi
>
> Yes, but the multi does require a prescription.
>
> FirstHit
>
> umm no it doesn't I buy it right off the shelf
>
> http://www.1800petmeds.com/Advantage+Multi-prod10945.html

See this:

What is Advantage Multi?
Advantage Multi is a once a month topical application that contains a
combination of the insecticide (imidacloprid) and the parasiticide
(moxidectin). Advantage Multi for Dogs is used for the prevention of
heartworm and the treatment and control of flea infestations, hookworms,
roundworms and whipworms. Advantage Multi for Cats is used for the
prevention of heartworm and the treatment and control of fleas infestations,
roundworms, hookworms and ear mites. ***Advantage Multi requires a
prescription from your veterinarian.***

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:36 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> Yes right from the link. I see what you are talking about never had to
> worry about it before. It might be something new
> I also get mine from a pet smart type store in our local area it sells
> all the brands. I can also go pick it up from my vets office with out ever
> being a patient or seeing the vet.

There's a nice new big PetsMart in town. I think I'll look for it there.
:-)

Kelly Greene
November 10th 09, 11:49 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 10, 11:43 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>> Yes, but on dogs, some years back. It didn't work. What did work was a
>> flea
> hormone spray for a lot less. But I can't find that product anymore. It
> worked by stopping flea larvae from maturing.

Program does that. You can get it at drsfostersmith.com. But it
comes in an oral suspension or pill, not a spray. No prescription
needed.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2958

FirstHit

~~~~~

I'm getting some great info from this group. :-)))