PDA

View Full Version : Urinary diets and CRF

Jo
November 9th 09, 11:16 AM
Most, but not all, urinary diets available now are combo diets that
prevent both struvite and CaOx. In cats who have an enlarged kidney
from ureteral calculi, but have normal blood results (especially BUN
and creatinine), is there any risk of developing CRF from these
urinary foods? I'm looking at one brand that treats both types of
stones and it says it acidifies the urine. It also says it shouldn't
be used in CRF cats. So would a food like this be safe or risky?

Phil P.
November 10th 09, 01:04 AM
"Jo" > wrote in message
> Most, but not all, urinary diets available now are combo diets that
> prevent both struvite and CaOx. In cats who have an enlarged kidney
> from ureteral calculi, but have normal blood results (especially BUN
> and creatinine), is there any risk of developing CRF from these
> urinary foods? I'm looking at one brand that treats both types of
> stones and it says it acidifies the urine. It also says it shouldn't
> be used in CRF cats. So would a food like this be safe or risky?

CRF cats are at increased risk of developing metabolic acidosis. Therefore,
you don't want to feed a cat with CRF any foods that acidify the urine.

Jo
November 10th 09, 03:31 AM
On Nov 9, 7:04*pm, "Phil P." > wrote:
> "Jo" > wrote in message

> > Most, but not all, urinary diets available now are combo diets that
> > prevent both struvite and CaOx. In cats who have an enlarged kidney
> > from ureteral calculi, but have normal blood results (especially BUN
> > and creatinine), is there any risk of developing CRF from these
> > urinary foods? I'm looking at one brand that treats both types of
> > stones and it says it acidifies the urine. It also says it shouldn't
> > be used in CRF cats. So would a food like this be safe or risky?
>
> CRF cats are at increased risk of developing metabolic acidosis. *Therefore,
> you don't want to feed a cat with CRF any foods that acidify the urine.

Thanks for replying Phil, but I would like a little more info because
I'm having trouble understanding everything. My understanding is that
a cat is diagnosed with CRF only when the blood work is out of the
normal range (high BUN and creatinine). So what if the blood work is
in the normal range but the cat has a ureteral calculi that's causing
an enlarged kidney? Obviously the cat will develop CRF at some point.
But in the meantime, are prescription urinary foods dangerous to the
kidneys? Would/could those foods actually cause CRF?