PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu poll


Jane
November 9th 09, 06:17 PM
Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
her?

Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.

I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Will in New Haven
November 9th 09, 06:19 PM
On Nov 9, 12:17*pm, Jane > wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. * I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. *Who else does this?
>

Make bed? That was done by a carpenter or something years ago.

--
Will in New Haven

Adrian[_2_]
November 9th 09, 06:20 PM
Jane wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita

I sometimes consider not making the bed even when the cat's not on it. ;o)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy, Bagheera & Shadow)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart
http://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

MLB[_2_]
November 9th 09, 06:41 PM
Adrian wrote:
> Jane wrote:
>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
>> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
>> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
>> her?
>>
>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>
>> Jane
>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>
> I sometimes consider not making the bed even when the cat's not on it. ;o)

I've reached this point part of the time. And changing sheets has
become a major effort. TuTu changes her sleeping space. Presently, it
is in the hall bathroom on a deep cushion in front of the heat register.
Another storm is due and she tends to "sleep it off". MLB

jmcquown[_2_]
November 9th 09, 06:53 PM
"Jane" > wrote in message
...
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>

Persia gets down (using her kitty steps) the minute I'm fully awake. This
is after she taps me on the nose a few times :) then she'll gently bite my
shoulder or my arm and purr really loudly. If I stretch and give her
scritches it means FOOD!

I don't actually *make* the bed. I pull up the sheet and the blanket and
straighten out the pillows and the folded down bedspread. Sometimes I do
get ambitious and actually pull up the bedspread, but not often. Persia
never stays on the bed. She's more than welcome to nap on it but she
doesn't.

Jill

Christina Websell[_2_]
November 9th 09, 06:57 PM
"Jane" > wrote in message
...
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
>
As I posted the other day about not disturbing Boyfriend when he gets in
*my* armchair - how can he fall so deeply asleep and look so "aww.." in the
few seconds it takes me to put the kettle?? - I would be sure to leave him
in the warm bit of the bed. How can I disturb that upside-downy head with
the sweet smile of contentment he always has on his face?
I couldn't so I don't let him into my bedroom.
Not because I'm bothered about making the bed, but because I'm a bad
sleeper.

He has the run of the whole house except for that. He has the guest room to
himself complete with double bed and a duvet (and wait for this) I even
sleep in this bed occasionally at weekends so it smells of me which he seems
to like!

He has me just where he wants me.

Tweed

November 9th 09, 08:54 PM
Jane wrote:

> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?

> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.

> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?

Sheesh. I make my bed about once every two weeks! :)

Joyce

--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is
beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Mark Edwards
November 9th 09, 09:01 PM
No cluons were harmed when Jane wrote:
>Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not*
> making your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in
>the warmspot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to
>disturb her?

Waitaminute, I need an *excuse* not to make the bed?


Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Yowie
November 9th 09, 09:44 PM
"Jane" > wrote in message

> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita

People make their beds in the morning? Wow.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

tanadashoes
November 9th 09, 11:11 PM
Jane wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>

I usually don't disturb the owners when they are sacked out on their
bed. I do make them move when I have to change the linens, but they
usually help me make the bed so a fun time is had by all.

Pam S.

MLB[_2_]
November 9th 09, 11:21 PM
Judith Latham wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Jane > wrote:
>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
>> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
>> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
>> her?
>
>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
>> Jane
>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>
> I don't make the bed in the morning. At 6am it's all I can do to clean the
> litter tray, feed Sootie, make a cup of instant coffee, find DH's
> underwear (he'd not allowed to mess in my airing cupboard), get washed, do
> hair (always a battle), put on make up and leave home at 6.55am. I
> wouldn't move Sootie off the bed, ever, if she's comfortable and the bed
> needs clean sheets, well there's always later or tomorrow. Yes I know I'm
> a slob.
>
> Judith
>

You must move like a whirlwind to do all that in 55 minutes. I have two
questions: Don't you eat breakfast? What is an "airing cupboard"?
Never heard of that one. Oh, yes, and personal duties....Your schedule
is awesome. MLB

November 9th 09, 11:25 PM
Judith Latham wrote:

> I don't make the bed in the morning. At 6am it's all I can do to clean the
> litter tray, feed Sootie, make a cup of instant coffee, find DH's
> underwear (he'd not allowed to mess in my airing cupboard),

OK, what's an airing cupboard, and why does your DH put his underwear in
there? :)

Joyce

--
As an atheist, I believe that all life is unspeakably precious, because
it's only here for a brief moment, a flare against the dark, and then it's
gone forever. No afterlives, no second chances. So there can be nothing
crueler than the abuse, destruction or wanton taking of a life.
-- J. Michael Straczynski

November 9th 09, 11:27 PM
MLB wrote:

> You must move like a whirlwind to do all that in 55 minutes. I have two
> questions: Don't you eat breakfast? What is an "airing cupboard"?
> Never heard of that one. Oh, yes, and personal duties....Your schedule
> is awesome. MLB

I was thinking the same thing. I do about 1/4 that amount of stuff in
the morning (my slowest and least functional time of the day), and it
usually takes me 30-40 minutes! I wouldn't dream of cleaning out cat
litter in the morning!! My sensibilities are far too delicate at that
time. That job is for evenings, only.

Joyce

PS - I do eat breakfast - at work! :)

--
As an atheist, I believe that all life is unspeakably precious, because
it's only here for a brief moment, a flare against the dark, and then it's
gone forever. No afterlives, no second chances. So there can be nothing
crueler than the abuse, destruction or wanton taking of a life.
-- J. Michael Straczynski

Jofirey
November 9th 09, 11:50 PM
"Jane" > wrote in message
...
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not*
> making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the
> warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to
> disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
Charlie sleeps later than I do and takes his own sweet time in the
morning, which usually includes making the bed. If he doesn't get
to it before Jake have breakfast and goes out to check the fences
and comes back in for a nap, he does part of the bed then moves the
cat and then finishes it.

They have quite a little routine going. Charlie had to get up early
today for a doctors appointment, and Jake complained about the
disruption to his schedule for two hours. One while Charlie was
gone, and another after he got back.

Jo

BfloPolska
November 10th 09, 01:21 AM
On Nov 9, 12:17*pm, Jane > wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?

Bed-making...what's that???

We have at least two cats on the bed after Louie and I spill out each
morning, and those are usually two of our largest. Stosh, Brandy, and
Philip have a way of stretching out to maximum capacity, and for them
it's considerable. they'll whine if we disturb the blankets, so we let
the little spoiled ones have the run of the covers.

Roxie makes a bed out of my laundry, and she will defend it tooth and
claw. She'll throw a princess fit if I dare reach for a brassiere. And
Sabrina has claimed an oversized stuffed plushy froggie that a friend
had given me. Lester's the right size for the Old Woman to curl up in
comfort.

Blessed be,
Baha

Baird Stafford
November 10th 09, 02:04 AM
In article
>,
Jane > wrote:

> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?

What is this "making your bed" thing? I'm a bachelor except when the SO
is home <insert cartoon of Garfield looking smug and saying, "We're
bachelors, baby!"> so if the bed gets made it's *only* because I'm
expecting guests.

And Leila likes the bed only when I'm in it, in any case. Don't ask me
why - ask her!

<snip>

Baird

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is. -Yogi Berra

Smokie Darling (Annie)
November 10th 09, 02:35 AM
On Nov 9, 10:17*am, Jane > wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. * I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. *Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita

I used to put it off (before I was so thoroughly owned), but since I'm
allergic to cat fur... I get up, have some coffee, feed the "outies",
give the innies a little bit of the outies food, sneak quick in and
make it. The fur doesn't seem to bother me while I'm sleeping, but if
they lie on the sheets or my pillow, I wake up looking like I went 4
rounds with Mike Tyson/Evander Holyfield.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
November 10th 09, 03:11 AM
Jane wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?

Except for changing the bed-linens periodically, I stopped making my bed
YEARS ago (unless I'm expecting company, and not always then).

Marina
November 10th 09, 03:54 AM
Jane wrote:
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?

Mir and Caliban get up when I do, and they don't go back to bed even
after they've had their breakfast. They'll nap elsewhere. Miranda
doesn't go onto the bed at all if I'm not there. If I'm taking a nap in
the afternoon, she'll come up and snuggle under the blankie with me, and
when I get up (carefully rolling away from her, so I won't disturb her),
she often stays under the blankie and sleeps for hours. But she never
goes there by herself. Caliban sometimes sleeps on the bed in the
evening, but that doesn't stop me from making the bed.

With Frank and Nikki, I did sometimes hesitate to make the bed in the
morning because they loved to curl up in the unmade bed. But I did
mostly drive them away. It's soooo lovely and luxurious to get into a
well-aired, ready-made bed at night, so I was a selfish Meowmie in that
respect.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

jmcquown[_2_]
November 10th 09, 03:55 AM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
...
> "Jane" > wrote in message
>
>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
>> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
>> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
>> her?
>>
>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>
>> Jane
>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>
> People make their beds in the morning? Wow.
>
> Yowie
> --
When my mother was alive I *had* to make the bed. My assertion "But I'm
just going to un-make it later!" didn't fly with her ;) Now, I just pull up
the sheet and the blanket so it's tidy but that's it, I'm done. AFAIK there
isn't a bed inspector who drops by.

Jill

Joy
November 10th 09, 09:13 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
...
> "Jane" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
>> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
>> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
>> her?
>>
>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>
>> Jane
>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>>
>
> Persia gets down (using her kitty steps) the minute I'm fully awake. This
> is after she taps me on the nose a few times :) then she'll gently bite
> my shoulder or my arm and purr really loudly. If I stretch and give her
> scritches it means FOOD!
>
> I don't actually *make* the bed. I pull up the sheet and the blanket and
> straighten out the pillows and the folded down bedspread. Sometimes I do
> get ambitious and actually pull up the bedspread, but not often. Persia
> never stays on the bed. She's more than welcome to nap on it but she
> doesn't.
>
> Jill

I use a quilt as a bedspread, and don't fold it back. Otherwise, my
'bed-making' technique is the same as yours. The cats are usually already
up when I get up.

Joy

MatSav
November 10th 09, 09:13 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
...
>
> I have [a] question: What is an "airing cupboard"?

In the UK, homes often have a (lagged / insulated) hot water
stoorage cylinder, hidden away inside a floor-to-ceiling
cupboard, with the bottom half of the cupboard housing the
storage cylinder.

The space above the cylinder is utilised by in-filling with
slatted shelves that allow free circulation of the surrounding
air, which has been warmed by heat losses from the storage
cylinder and surrounding pipework.

Recently washed (and dried, but not always completely) items that
do not require ironing are placed into said cupboard - normally
towels and small items of clothing.

--
MatSav

Jane
November 10th 09, 12:15 PM
>
> I don't actually *make* the bed. *I pull up the sheet and the blanket and
> straighten out the pillows and the folded down bedspread. *Sometimes I do
> get ambitious and actually pull up the bedspread, but not often. *Persia
> never stays on the bed. *She's more than welcome to nap on it but she
> doesn't.
>
> Jill

Oh, that's what I mean when I mean 'make the bed'. I just pull the
sheet and blanket
up to cover the pillows, mostly to keep dander and fur off the pillows
so I can sleep
at night. I love her madly, but I'm allergic to her.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

Jane
November 10th 09, 12:18 PM
On Nov 9, 5:12*pm, Judith Latham > wrote:
>
> I don't make the bed in the morning. At 6am it's all I can do to clean the
> litter tray, feed Sootie, make a cup of instant coffee, find DH's
> underwear (he'd not allowed to mess in my airing cupboard), get washed, do
> hair (always a battle), put on make up and leave home at 6.55am. I
> wouldn't move Sootie off the bed, ever, if she's comfortable and the bed
> needs clean sheets, well there's always later or tomorrow. Yes I know I'm
> a slob.
>
> Judith
>
> --
> Judith Latham
> Stourbridge, West Midlands. UK.

Judith, I have all of that streamlined by now, mostly because I get up
before 4am and
leave for work at 5am. The coffee is set to start up automatically.
My hair is short
and straight, basically 'wash and go' style. Even dressing is easy
because I have
15 pairs of black pants, which go with *everything*, so I don't have
to think in the
morning.
I don't even want to think about adding another person. *shudder*

Jane

BfloPolska
November 10th 09, 03:36 PM
On Nov 9, 10:32*pm, Kajikit > wrote:

> I just make the bed over the top of them... they used to run away when
> I waved the quilt but now they just stay put and become bedlumps. The
> other day we had a double-decker one - Tessie was under the sheet and
> Silver was on top of it and neither one of them moved when I spread
> the quilt out!

This is a favorite game in our home, and we call it "cover the cat."
Stosh is a big fan of this game, closely followed by Brandy and China-
Doll, who look up to my dashing little guy as a leader to be reckoned
with. Stosh loves change-the-sheets day and will dive into the fresh
linens as we try--TRY--to stretch them over the bed. He will then roll
up in the sheets like a little golombka or pig-in-a-blanket.
Alternately he'll rush at our legs under the sheets and it looks like
a huge hump tunneling through. Or a small tank. Stoshu has been
getting a little heftier of late and is pushing twenty pounds of
strapping he-beast. Louie and I shamefully indulge him and his rowdy
siblings in cover-the-cat, allowing a few extra fluffs so the little
ones can dive in happily. The best part is when Stosh is covered,
Brandy isn't, and they get to wrasslin. It's the best entertainment
since HBO.

Blessed be,
Baha

November 10th 09, 10:19 PM
Judith Latham wrote:

> The airing
> cupboard is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard where the hot water tank
> is situated. There are slatted shelves above it to put clean clothes,
> sheets, towels and things to air through in any warmth that escapes the
> lagging.

That's a very practical use of the space and excess heat!

--
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is
beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

November 10th 09, 10:39 PM
Judith Latham wrote:

> > wrote:
>> Judith Latham wrote:

>> > The airing cupboard is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard where the
>> > hot water tank is situated. There are slatted shelves above it to put
>> > clean clothes, sheets, towels and things to air through in any warmth
>> > that escapes the lagging.

>> That's a very practical use of the space and excess heat!

> Yes, I find it very useful and Sophie used to love to curl up on the
> shelf. I'm surprised it's a british thing.

All the hot water heaters I've seen in the US (mostly in Massachusetts
and California) are much taller than the ones you seem to have. The one
I have is a little taller than I am (although I am rather short). I've
never actually measured its height so I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
But in any case, there wouldn't be any space for shelves above it. I
know that many people's hw heaters are enclosed in a small closet, but
I've never seen enough space above them for shelves. Mine is free-standing
in my kitchen, not in a closet or cupboard. (It is bolted to the wall
for earthquake safety, though.)

Joyce

--
What I look forward to, is continued immaturity, followed by death.
-- Dave Barry

Joy
November 11th 09, 12:02 AM
> wrote in message
...
> Judith Latham wrote:
>
> > > wrote:
> >> Judith Latham wrote:
>
> >> > The airing cupboard is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard where
> >> the
> >> > hot water tank is situated. There are slatted shelves above it to
> >> put
> >> > clean clothes, sheets, towels and things to air through in any
> >> warmth
> >> > that escapes the lagging.
>
> >> That's a very practical use of the space and excess heat!
>
> > Yes, I find it very useful and Sophie used to love to curl up on the
> > shelf. I'm surprised it's a british thing.
>
> All the hot water heaters I've seen in the US (mostly in Massachusetts
> and California) are much taller than the ones you seem to have. The one
> I have is a little taller than I am (although I am rather short). I've
> never actually measured its height so I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
> But in any case, there wouldn't be any space for shelves above it. I
> know that many people's hw heaters are enclosed in a small closet, but
> I've never seen enough space above them for shelves. Mine is free-standing
> in my kitchen, not in a closet or cupboard. (It is bolted to the wall
> for earthquake safety, though.)
>
> Joyce

Mine is in my garage, and is also bolted to the wall for the same reason.

Joy

MLB[_2_]
November 11th 09, 07:09 AM
Joy wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ...
>> Judith Latham wrote:
>>
>>> > wrote:
>>>> Judith Latham wrote:
>>>> > The airing cupboard is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard where
>>>> the
>>>> > hot water tank is situated. There are slatted shelves above it to
>>>> put
>>>> > clean clothes, sheets, towels and things to air through in any
>>>> warmth
>>>> > that escapes the lagging.
>>>> That's a very practical use of the space and excess heat!
>>> Yes, I find it very useful and Sophie used to love to curl up on the
>>> shelf. I'm surprised it's a british thing.
>> All the hot water heaters I've seen in the US (mostly in Massachusetts
>> and California) are much taller than the ones you seem to have. The one
>> I have is a little taller than I am (although I am rather short). I've
>> never actually measured its height so I'm not sure of the exact numbers.
>> But in any case, there wouldn't be any space for shelves above it. I
>> know that many people's hw heaters are enclosed in a small closet, but
>> I've never seen enough space above them for shelves. Mine is free-standing
>> in my kitchen, not in a closet or cupboard. (It is bolted to the wall
>> for earthquake safety, though.)
>>
>> Joyce
>
> Mine is in my garage, and is also bolted to the wall for the same reason.
>
> Joy
>
>

Mine is in a small hall closet. It has pipes above it leading to an
overflow tank and an exhaust pipe leading to the ceiling and outside. I
always thought it was not safe to store combustible materials around the
heater 00 danger of fire). I store a broom and a couple pf mops in
there. MLB

Yowie
November 11th 09, 01:03 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message

> Joy wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> Judith Latham wrote:
>>>
>>>> > wrote:
>>>>> Judith Latham wrote:
>>>>> > The airing cupboard is a floor to ceiling built in cupboard
>>>>> where the
>>>>> > hot water tank is situated. There are slatted shelves above it
>>>>> to put
>>>>> > clean clothes, sheets, towels and things to air through in any
>>>>> warmth
>>>>> > that escapes the lagging.
>>>>> That's a very practical use of the space and excess heat!
>>>> Yes, I find it very useful and Sophie used to love to curl up on
>>>> the shelf. I'm surprised it's a british thing.
>>> All the hot water heaters I've seen in the US (mostly in
>>> Massachusetts and California) are much taller than the ones you
>>> seem to have. The one I have is a little taller than I am (although I am
>>> rather short).
>>> I've never actually measured its height so I'm not sure of the
>>> exact numbers. But in any case, there wouldn't be any space for
>>> shelves above it. I know that many people's hw heaters are enclosed in a
>>> small closet,
>>> but I've never seen enough space above them for shelves. Mine is
>>> free-standing in my kitchen, not in a closet or cupboard. (It is
>>> bolted to the wall for earthquake safety, though.)
>>>
>>> Joyce
>>
>> Mine is in my garage, and is also bolted to the wall for the same
>> reason. Joy
>>
>>
>
> Mine is in a small hall closet. It has pipes above it leading to an
> overflow tank and an exhaust pipe leading to the ceiling and outside.
> I always thought it was not safe to store combustible materials
> around the heater 00 danger of fire). I store a broom and a couple
> pf mops in there. MLB

Our hot water heater is 80 litres, and is outside. This is very typical for
houses in this part of Australia. For the most part, we worry more about
getting rid of excess heat from the house - there's only a few months in the
year when you need to *add* heat to the house.

My mother explains the airing cupboard as a necessity because in winter and
before the invention (or at least adoption by the mainstream) of the clothes
drier, sometimes you could hang your clothes out for a week and they'd still
not be dry, even if hte sun was shining. Thus it was necessary to have a
place where you could finish doing the 'airing' before putting them away
properly. If you didnt' air everything properly they'd smell bad and go
mouldy.

I boggle at the concept of having sunny days and yet not being able to get
washing dry.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Enfilade
November 13th 09, 01:22 AM
Make the bed? You're kidding. I feel bad enough trying to wash the
sheets every week. Inevitably I disturb cats when removing the
sheets, and again to put them back on.

--Fil



> > I don't actually *make* the bed. *I pull up the sheet and the blanket and
> > straighten out the pillows and the folded down bedspread. *Sometimes I do
> > get ambitious and actually pull up the bedspread, but not often. *Persia
> > never stays on the bed. *She's more than welcome to nap on it but she
> > doesn't.
>

Mischief[_2_]
November 13th 09, 04:10 AM
On Nov 12, 4:22*pm, Enfilade > wrote:
> Make the bed? *You're kidding. *I feel bad enough trying to wash the
> sheets every week. *Inevitably I disturb cats when removing the
> sheets, and again to put them back on.
>
> --Fil
>
> > > I don't actually *make* the bed. *I pull up the sheet and the blanket and
> > > straighten out the pillows and the folded down bedspread. *Sometimes I do
> > > get ambitious and actually pull up the bedspread, but not often. *Persia
> > > never stays on the bed. *She's more than welcome to nap on it but she
> > > doesn't.

Pfft, the only time i make the bed is when i'm changing the sheets and
the committee hates being disturbed.

Also whenever me or the BF are getting into bed, trying to arrange the
blankets, one or more committee members are usually snoozing in a
furry ball or streeeetched out in a corner.

Make the bed....hehehehe

kristi

November 13th 09, 06:28 AM
Mischief wrote:

> Here's a video I did of Mayhem, during one of these sessions.
> Mischief makes an appearance and almost steps on her.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb9f25OMV6k

I love your comforter! I want one! Where'd you get it?

Joyce

PS - the kitties are cute, too. :)

--
In war you kill the people who are the victims of the tyrant you
claim to be fighting against. -- Howard Zinn

November 14th 09, 09:50 AM
Mischief wrote:

> Oh i've done that many times. I politely ask them to move, usually
> Mischief and Mayhem, who then give me this, "Excuse me?" look.

> So I throw the blanket over them and then ask the bed lumps, "Where's
> the kitty?" And then have fun watching them move around. Or
> sometimes they don't move at all and I just leave.

> Here's a video I did of Mayhem, during one of these sessions.
> Mischief makes an appearance and almost steps on her.

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb9f25OMV6k

I was serious - I want to know where you got that comforter on your
bed. It's beautiful, and is just the type I would like in my room.
Let me know, OK?

Thanks,
Joyce

--
Annoying nerdspeak: whenever a woman tells me that she loves me with
all her heart, I patiently explain that the heart is an autonomic
blood pump incapable of emotion, and that her statement is therefore
without meaning. No woman has made that mistake with me twice.

Mischief[_2_]
November 14th 09, 11:12 AM
On Nov 14, 12:50*am, wrote:
> Mischief wrote:
>
> *> Oh i've done that many times. *I politely ask them to move, usually
> *> Mischief and Mayhem, who then give me this, "Excuse me?" look.
>
> *> So I throw the blanket over them and then ask the bed lumps, "Where's
> *> the kitty?" *And then have fun watching them move around. *Or
> *> sometimes they don't move at all and I just leave.
>
> *> Here's a video I did of Mayhem, during one of these sessions.
> *> Mischief makes an appearance and almost steps on her.
>
> *>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb9f25OMV6k
>
> I was serious - I want to know where you got that comforter on your
> bed. It's beautiful, and is just the type I would like in my room.
> Let me know, OK?
>
> Thanks,
> Joyce
>
> --
> Annoying nerdspeak: whenever a woman tells me that she loves me with
> all her heart, I patiently explain that the heart is an autonomic
> blood pump incapable of emotion, and that her statement is therefore
> without meaning. No woman has made that mistake with me twice.

oh dear i'm sorry hehehe i didn't check the group

you're not gonna believe this, but that comforter is from a Bamboo
sheet set from the mid 1990s. It belonged to my parents and when I
moved into my new apartment in 2001 i got a queen size mattress, so I
swiped it.

It's been holding up great over the years. It's held up longer than
TWO sheet sets from Target.

sorry it took me a while

Kristi

November 14th 09, 11:41 PM
Mischief wrote:

> you're not gonna believe this, but that comforter is from a Bamboo
> sheet set from the mid 1990s. It belonged to my parents and when I
> moved into my new apartment in 2001 i got a queen size mattress, so I
> swiped it.

> It's been holding up great over the years. It's held up longer than
> TWO sheet sets from Target.

Oh, that's a sheet, not a comforter? Or did you make a duvet cover
out of it? Anyway, it's really pretty.

Whenever I see a picture of something I like, it's always something
the person's had for 20 years or something. :) Oh, well.

> sorry it took me a while

No problem - I saw other posts by you, so I thought maybe you missed
my post the first time.

Joyce

--
If we discovered we only had five minutes left to say all that we
wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people
calling other people to stammer that they loved them.
-- Christopher Morley

Mischief[_2_]
November 15th 09, 01:10 AM
On Nov 14, 2:41*pm, wrote:
> Mischief wrote:
>
> *> you're not gonna believe this, but that comforter is from a Bamboo
> *> sheet set from the mid 1990s. *It belonged to my parents and when I
> *> moved into my new apartment in 2001 i got a queen size mattress, so I
> *> swiped it.
>
> *> It's been holding up great over the years. *It's held up longer than
> *> TWO sheet sets from Target.
>
> Oh, that's a sheet, not a comforter? Or did you make a duvet cover
> out of it? Anyway, it's really pretty.
>
> Whenever I see a picture of something I like, it's always something
> the person's had for 20 years or something. :) Oh, well.
>
> *> sorry it took me a while
>
> No problem - I saw other posts by you, so I thought maybe you missed
> my post the first time.
>
> Joyce
>
> --
> If we discovered we only had five minutes left to say all that we
> wanted to say, every telephone booth would be occupied by people
> calling other people to stammer that they loved them.
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * -- Christopher Morley

sheet set with comforter included. The cats love it

MaryL
November 17th 09, 07:22 AM
"Jane" > wrote in message
...
> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not* making
> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the warm
> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to disturb
> her?
>
> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>
> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>
> Jane
> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>

Oh, yes! Worse yet, I will sometime have to slide into bed very carefully
when it's time to sleep and take up only a small "sliver" at the side of the
bed because Holly is already comfortably ensconced in the middle of the bed.
:)

MaryL

November 17th 09, 07:33 AM
MaryL wrote:

> Oh, yes! Worse yet, I will sometime have to slide into bed very carefully
> when it's time to sleep and take up only a small "sliver" at the side of the
> bed because Holly is already comfortably ensconced in the middle of the bed.
> :)

It's even more fun when there are two cats to slide between. Do you
sometimes have Duffy there, too? I used to have to figure out how to
get in among *3* cats at one time!

Joyce


--
Basically, I feel like the food industry is making us fat so the diet
industry can make us thin.
-- Janet

MaryL
November 17th 09, 08:13 AM
> wrote in message
...
> MaryL wrote:
>
> > Oh, yes! Worse yet, I will sometime have to slide into bed very
> > carefully
> > when it's time to sleep and take up only a small "sliver" at the side of
> > the
> > bed because Holly is already comfortably ensconced in the middle of the
> > bed.
> > :)
>
> It's even more fun when there are two cats to slide between. Do you
> sometimes have Duffy there, too? I used to have to figure out how to
> get in among *3* cats at one time!
>
> Joyce
>
>
> --
>

Yes, but Duffy usually comes along *after* I'm in bed. So does Holly, but
she often heads for the bed before I get there will look all warm and
cozy--definitely don't want to disturb her. I wake up almost every morning
to find Holly sleeping on top of me. Somehow, she manages to do that and
distribute her weight in such a way that I am not even aware of when she
does it. Duffy will cuddle up beside me and sometimes "tunnels" under the
blanket.

For some time after I adopted Duffy, Holly would not let him get on the bed
at night. She didn't object when he got on the bed during the daytime, but
it was "off limits" when I was in the bed. Holly would reach over the edge
of the bed and "bat" Duffy away when he would try to jump up. She stopped
doing that after she adjusted to having a little brother, and now she no
longer objects to having him on the bed with us.

MaryL

Wayne Mitchell
November 17th 09, 03:16 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>but
>she often heads for the bed before I get there will look all warm and
>cozy--definitely don't want to disturb her.

Cats can be very assertively comfortable, can't they? :-) They emit
"I'm very comfortable here" waves, and if you really need to displace
them, you have to fight your way through a force field.
--

Wayne M.

Jofirey
November 17th 09, 05:21 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
. ..
>
> "Jane" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not*
>> making
>> your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in the
>> warm
>> spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want to
>> disturb
>> her?
>>
>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>
>> Jane
>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>>
>
> Oh, yes! Worse yet, I will sometime have to slide into bed very
> carefully when it's time to sleep and take up only a small
> "sliver" at the side of the bed because Holly is already
> comfortably ensconced in the middle of the bed. :)
>
> MaryL

I figure for all the nonsense these cats put us through, a warm
place to put my feet at night is small enough price for them to pay.

Jo

Jofirey
November 17th 09, 05:24 PM
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
. ..
>
> > wrote in message
> ...
>> MaryL wrote:
>>
>> > Oh, yes! Worse yet, I will sometime have to slide into bed
>> > very carefully
>> > when it's time to sleep and take up only a small "sliver" at
>> > the side of the
>> > bed because Holly is already comfortably ensconced in the
>> > middle of the bed.
>> > :)
>>
>> It's even more fun when there are two cats to slide between. Do
>> you
>> sometimes have Duffy there, too? I used to have to figure out how
>> to
>> get in among *3* cats at one time!
>>
>> Joyce
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>
> Yes, but Duffy usually comes along *after* I'm in bed. So does
> Holly, but she often heads for the bed before I get there will
> look all warm and cozy--definitely don't want to disturb her. I
> wake up almost every morning to find Holly sleeping on top of me.
> Somehow, she manages to do that and distribute her weight in such
> a way that I am not even aware of when she does it. Duffy will
> cuddle up beside me and sometimes "tunnels" under the blanket.
>
> For some time after I adopted Duffy, Holly would not let him get
> on the bed at night. She didn't object when he got on the bed
> during the daytime, but it was "off limits" when I was in the bed.
> Holly would reach over the edge of the bed and "bat" Duffy away
> when he would try to jump up. She stopped doing that after she
> adjusted to having a little brother, and now she no longer objects
> to having him on the bed with us.
>
> MaryL
>

Marina
November 17th 09, 07:21 PM
Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
>> but
>> she often heads for the bed before I get there will look all warm and
>> cozy--definitely don't want to disturb her.
>
> Cats can be very assertively comfortable, can't they? :-) They emit
> "I'm very comfortable here" waves, and if you really need to displace
> them, you have to fight your way through a force field.

E.g.
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/Jul-Dec09/IMG_1644.jpg

No matter how many times I lift him off the chair when I want to get
back to the computer, if I get up, he's straight back on it and looking
like he's been there the past five hours.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Wayne Mitchell
November 17th 09, 10:16 PM
Marina > wrote:

>
>http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/Jul-Dec09/IMG_1644.jpg


Hmmm...If he doesn't want to be disturbed, I don't think that particular
pose is a good choice. That's pure temptation.
--

Wayne M.

Marina
November 18th 09, 05:45 AM
Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> Marina > wrote:
>
>> http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o185/frankiennikki/Jul-Dec09/IMG_1644.jpg
>
>
> Hmmm...If he doesn't want to be disturbed, I don't think that particular
> pose is a good choice. That's pure temptation.

It is, and he doesn't mind it one bit when I bury my face in his spotty
tummy. :) As long as he can stay on the chair.

--
Marina, Miranda and Caliban.
In loving memory of Frank and Nikki.

Christina Websell[_2_]
November 19th 09, 07:46 PM
jmcquown wrote:
> "Yowie" > wrote in message
> ...
>> "Jane" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not*
>>> making your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in
>>> the warm spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want
>>> to disturb her?
>>>
>>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>>
>>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>>
>>> Jane
>>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>>
>> People make their beds in the morning? Wow.
>>
>> Yowie
>> --
> When my mother was alive I *had* to make the bed. My assertion "But
> I'm just going to un-make it later!" didn't fly with her ;) Now, I
> just pull up the sheet and the blanket so it's tidy but that's it,
> I'm done. AFAIK there isn't a bed inspector who drops by.
>
Exactly. I rarely iron for the same reason. I put my washing machine on
the program minimum iron and put those dry clothes on and let the creases
drop out during the day. I have too much to do to spend my time with an
iron in my hand.

Tweed
who has a lovely skirt that needs ironing - not worn for a year..

Yowie
November 19th 09, 10:14 PM
"Christina Websell" > wrote in message

> jmcquown wrote:
>> "Yowie" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> "Jane" > wrote in message
>>>
>>>> Show of hands, everyone! How many of you have considered *not*
>>>> making your bed in the morning because the cat has settled down in
>>>> the warm spot you left, and looks so darn cute that you don't want
>>>> to disturb her?
>>>>
>>>> Princess Rita did that this morning. I *did* disturb her, but
>>>> gently, and she ended up with a better spot anyway.
>>>>
>>>> I know I'm not the only one. Who else does this?
>>>>
>>>> Jane
>>>> - owned and operated by the Princess Rita
>>>
>>> People make their beds in the morning? Wow.
>>>
>>> Yowie
>>> --
>> When my mother was alive I *had* to make the bed. My assertion "But
>> I'm just going to un-make it later!" didn't fly with her ;) Now, I
>> just pull up the sheet and the blanket so it's tidy but that's it,
>> I'm done. AFAIK there isn't a bed inspector who drops by.
>>
> Exactly. I rarely iron for the same reason. I put my washing
> machine on the program minimum iron and put those dry clothes on and
> let the creases drop out during the day. I have too much to do to
> spend my time with an iron in my hand.

Same here. If it doesn't come off the line and/or out of the drier in an
acceptably wrinkle-less state, then I'm simply not going to wear it. I don't
even know where my iron is, and haven't ironed a thing in the last years
ago. Its the world's most boring job, and quite frankly I'd prefer to clean
toilets than iron.

I am not looking forward to next year when the Yowlet goes off to a school
which has a strict uniform code that insists on an *ironed* cotton shirt
rather than sensibly choosing a polo-neck polyester-cotton 'no iron' sort of
shirt for their uniform. The Yowlet is going to like it even less in winter
when he has to wear a tie. He*hates* things being around his neck. That is
going to be a fun argument.... not.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Jofirey
November 20th 09, 02:18 AM
"Yowie" > wrote in message .
>
> I am not looking forward to next year when the Yowlet goes off to
> a school which has a strict uniform code that insists on an
> *ironed* cotton shirt rather than sensibly choosing a polo-neck
> polyester-cotton 'no iron' sort of shirt for their uniform. The
> Yowlet is going to like it even less in winter when he has to wear
> a tie. He*hates* things being around his neck. That is going to be
> a fun argument.... not.
>
> Yowie

There are a lot of Laundromats (coin operated washers and dryers)
around here that provide 'fold and fluff' service. You take in your
bags of dirty laundry and they wash dry and fold it for you. A lot
of them also have someone on the premises who irons. Its less
expensive than taking shirts to a dry cleaner to have them done.

Once upon a time I worked in a laundry where my job was to iron
men's dress shirts. I was quite good at it. As each of my
grandsons has got tall enough to use the iron and ironing board I've
taught them the proper way to iron a shirt and then they are on
their own. I haven't ironed anything in years.

Everyone does their own laundry and everyone is very good about
getting thing out of the dryer and onto hangers while still warm.

One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large
enough that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger. Otherwise
they don't get worn a second time.

Jo

MLB[_2_]
November 20th 09, 03:55 AM
Jofirey wrote:
>
> "Yowie" > wrote in message .
>>
>> I am not looking forward to next year when the Yowlet goes off to a
>> school which has a strict uniform code that insists on an *ironed*
>> cotton shirt rather than sensibly choosing a polo-neck
>> polyester-cotton 'no iron' sort of shirt for their uniform. The Yowlet
>> is going to like it even less in winter when he has to wear a tie.
>> He*hates* things being around his neck. That is going to be a fun
>> argument.... not.
>>
>> Yowie
>
> There are a lot of Laundromats (coin operated washers and dryers) around
> here that provide 'fold and fluff' service. You take in your bags of
> dirty laundry and they wash dry and fold it for you. A lot of them also
> have someone on the premises who irons. Its less expensive than taking
> shirts to a dry cleaner to have them done.
>
> Once upon a time I worked in a laundry where my job was to iron men's
> dress shirts. I was quite good at it. As each of my grandsons has got
> tall enough to use the iron and ironing board I've taught them the
> proper way to iron a shirt and then they are on their own. I haven't
> ironed anything in years.
>
> Everyone does their own laundry and everyone is very good about getting
> thing out of the dryer and onto hangers while still warm.
>
> One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large enough
> that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger. Otherwise they don't
> get worn a second time.
>
> Jo



My mother taught me to iron when I was quite young and I always enjoyed
it. I had some aunts who "let" me help with their ironing too. I
remember we even ironed sheets. Like you, I haven't ironed in many
years and I did bless the day fabrics were "no ironing necessary".

November 20th 09, 03:59 AM
Jofirey wrote:

> There are a lot of Laundromats (coin operated washers and dryers)
> around here that provide 'fold and fluff' service. You take in your
> bags of dirty laundry and they wash dry and fold it for you. A lot
> of them also have someone on the premises who irons. Its less
> expensive than taking shirts to a dry cleaner to have them done.

When I used to live in an apartment that had no washer/dryer and wasn't
very close to a laundromat, I used to take in my washing. It wasn't very
expensive and it was better than sitting in the laundromat for hours.

> One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large
> enough that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger.

This is the first time I've heard this one. Tell that to my linen shirt! :)

Joyce

--
I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better
for it. -- Abraham Lincoln

Jofirey
November 20th 09, 04:31 AM
> wrote in message
...
> Jofirey wrote:
>
> > There are a lot of Laundromats (coin operated washers and
> > dryers)
> > around here that provide 'fold and fluff' service. You take in
> > your
> > bags of dirty laundry and they wash dry and fold it for you. A
> > lot
> > of them also have someone on the premises who irons. Its less
> > expensive than taking shirts to a dry cleaner to have them done.
>
> When I used to live in an apartment that had no washer/dryer and
> wasn't
> very close to a laundromat, I used to take in my washing. It
> wasn't very
> expensive and it was better than sitting in the laundromat for
> hours.
>
> > One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large
> > enough that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger.
>
> This is the first time I've heard this one. Tell that to my linen
> shirt! :)
>
> Joyce

Hey, if you are wearing linen you are on your own.

Haven't had anything linen since the fifties, but as I recall it
looks and feels amazing to wear. But even when ironed perfectly, it
creases and wrinkles if you even think about doing anything other
than standing perfectly still.

Jo

Granby
November 20th 09, 05:54 PM
I bought a linen suit last year, wore it twice and donated it away. If you
do anything besides breathe, it will wrinkle. Don't ever wear it on a hot
day.
"Jofirey" > wrote in message
...
>
> > wrote in message
> ...
>> Jofirey wrote:
>>
>> > There are a lot of Laundromats (coin operated washers and dryers)
>> > around here that provide 'fold and fluff' service. You take in your
>> > bags of dirty laundry and they wash dry and fold it for you. A lot
>> > of them also have someone on the premises who irons. Its less
>> > expensive than taking shirts to a dry cleaner to have them done.
>>
>> When I used to live in an apartment that had no washer/dryer and wasn't
>> very close to a laundromat, I used to take in my washing. It wasn't very
>> expensive and it was better than sitting in the laundromat for hours.
>>
>> > One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large
>> > enough that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger.
>>
>> This is the first time I've heard this one. Tell that to my linen shirt!
>> :)
>>
>> Joyce
>
> Hey, if you are wearing linen you are on your own.
>
> Haven't had anything linen since the fifties, but as I recall it looks and
> feels amazing to wear. But even when ironed perfectly, it creases and
> wrinkles if you even think about doing anything other than standing
> perfectly still.
>
> Jo

Lesley
November 20th 09, 06:53 PM
On Nov 19, 6:55*pm, MLB > wrote:

>
> My mother taught me to iron when I was quite young and I always enjoyed
> it. *I had some aunts who "let" me help with their ironing too. *I
> remember we even ironed sheets. *

My mother ironed everything even dusters and tea towels-pretty much
most evenings the family would be crowded round watching the telly and
my mum would be standing there ironing and complaining about how much
ironing she had to do,,,,It certainly had an effect on me...I don't
even own an iron and pay extra for non-iron shirts

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Granby
November 20th 09, 09:15 PM
But Linen tracks when u iron it and almost never comes out right.
"Lesley" > wrote in message
...
On Nov 19, 6:55 pm, MLB > wrote:

>
> My mother taught me to iron when I was quite young and I always enjoyed
> it. I had some aunts who "let" me help with their ironing too. I
> remember we even ironed sheets.

My mother ironed everything even dusters and tea towels-pretty much
most evenings the family would be crowded round watching the telly and
my mum would be standing there ironing and complaining about how much
ironing she had to do,,,,It certainly had an effect on me...I don't
even own an iron and pay extra for non-iron shirts

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

November 21st 09, 01:46 AM
Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

>>>> One advantage of being overweight is that my clothes are large
>>>> enough that the wrinkles fall out of them on the hanger.
>>> This is the first time I've heard this one. Tell that to my linen
>>> shirt! :)
>> Hey, if you are wearing linen you are on your own.
>> Haven't had anything linen since the fifties [...]

> I have a few linen shirts. They go very well with a kilt. But as
> Joyce implied they emit a subsonic mating call to wrinkles from far
> across the space-time continuum. They always feel much heavier
> than cotton and I'm sure the extra weight is wrinkles.

I really love the way linen looks and drapes on the body. I can't say
I own a lot of it, actually at this point I only have one linen shirt. It
looks great, though. And to its credit, it doesn't get overly wrinkly.
Maybe Jo is right, and that's because it's a big size? Never even thought
of that. Or maybe it's a blend - linen/rayon blends behave a lot better,
wrinkle-wise, than 100% linen, and look almost as nice.

Joyce

--
Taxes: Money you complain about giving the government, to pay for
services whose absence you would complain about.
-- John O'Hanlon

Lesley
November 21st 09, 06:48 PM
On Nov 20, 4:46*pm, wrote:
Or maybe it's a blend - linen/rayon blends behave a lot better,
> wrinkle-wise, than 100% linen, and look almost as nice.
>
I've had linen/rayon blends and to me they're as good and easier to
take care of

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs