PDA

View Full Version : Deer in the lion's den

Cheryl[_3_]
November 10th 09, 11:50 PM
I'm sure a lot of you have already read about this, but my take is that once
the deer was injured by the female lion, they should have just let her have
it. They had to euthanize the poor thing any way I'll probably get flack
from half of you, agreement from half, or just completely ignored. lol

This article is a little humor about it even though it was probably very
scary for the kids watching things unfold. I'm sure a lot of them watch
Animal Planet. More deer get hit on the road here than ever before. When
they are not only running into the road but into a lion enclosure, aren't
there too many deer?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/09/AR2009110903090.html

cybercat
November 11th 09, 12:18 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> I'm sure a lot of you have already read about this

Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.

Cheryl[_3_]
November 11th 09, 02:21 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> I'm sure a lot of you have already read about this
>
> Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.

Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I was
rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.

cybercat
November 11th 09, 05:51 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> I'm sure a lot of you have already read about this
>>
>> Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.
>>
> Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I was
> rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.
oo. what do you have against deer?

jmc
November 11th 09, 07:30 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/10/2009 9:21 PM):

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> I'm sure a lot of you have already read about this
>>
>> Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.
>>
> Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I was
> rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.

Nothing really against deer (I'm on friendly terms with some where I
walk regularly), but I found it kind of sad that a couple of mountain
lions couldn't manage to catch one small deer (well caught it once, then
let it get away). Hopefully they just weren't hungry, otherwise they're
pretty sad specimens. I've seen housecats that are better hunters than
that :)

jmc

Cheryl[_3_]
November 11th 09, 08:45 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>>> Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.
>>>
>> Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I was
>> rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.

> oo. what do you have against deer?

Nothing at all, other than what we've done to them. We're taking away their
habitat and they're forced more and more into ours and their population is
huge due to no natural predators other than cars and hunters for what, a
week out of the year?

Cheryl[_3_]
November 11th 09, 08:46 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/10/2009 9:21 PM):

>>> Man, I haven't and I can't watch it. I'm too much of a softie I guess.
>>>
>> Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I was
>> rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.
>
> Nothing really against deer (I'm on friendly terms with some where I walk
> regularly), but I found it kind of sad that a couple of mountain lions
> couldn't manage to catch one small deer (well caught it once, then let it
> get away). Hopefully they just weren't hungry, otherwise they're pretty
> sad specimens. I've seen housecats that are better hunters than that :)

They were African lions in the National zoo.

jmc
November 12th 09, 01:35 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/11/2009 3:46 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/10/2009 9:21 PM):

>>> Here on the local news they had it on video. All of the details. I
>>> was rooting for the lions. Environmental enrichment and all that.
>>
>> Nothing really against deer (I'm on friendly terms with some where I
>> walk regularly), but I found it kind of sad that a couple of mountain
>> lions couldn't manage to catch one small deer (well caught it once,
>> then let it get away). Hopefully they just weren't hungry, otherwise
>> they're pretty sad specimens. I've seen housecats that are better
>> hunters than that :)
>>

> They were African lions in the National zoo.

Oh, sorry. Don't know why I said Mountain. I blame age :)

jmc

Cheryl[_3_]
November 12th 09, 03:26 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/11/2009 3:46 PM):
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/10/2009 9:21 PM):

>>> Nothing really against deer (I'm on friendly terms with some where I
>>> walk regularly), but I found it kind of sad that a couple of mountain
>>> lions couldn't manage to catch one small deer (well caught it once, then
>>> let it get away). Hopefully they just weren't hungry, otherwise they're
>>> pretty sad specimens. I've seen housecats that are better hunters than
>>> that :)
>>>

>> They were African lions in the National zoo.
>
> Oh, sorry. Don't know why I said Mountain. I blame age :)

It makes it worse, doesn't it. That the king of the jungle couldn't catch a
small deer that seemed to have a death wish.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds
November 12th 09, 05:26 AM
In article
>,
"Cheryl" >
wrote:

> "jmc" > wrote in message
> > Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/11/2009 3:46 PM):

> >> They were African lions in the National zoo.
> >
> > Oh, sorry. Don't know why I said Mountain. I blame age :)
> >

> It makes it worse, doesn't it. That the king of the jungle couldn't catch a
> small deer that seemed to have a death wish.

The saddest part is that it should have
been some kind of antelope next to the
lions, not a deer. What kind of people
are in charge of the zoo? This might
also explain the lions problem...being
faced with something that might not have
smelled "correct"

Dragoman
November 12th 09, 06:09 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/11/2009 3:46 PM):

>>> They were African lions in the National zoo.
>>
>> Oh, sorry. Don't know why I said Mountain. I blame age :)
>>

> It makes it worse, doesn't it. That the king of the jungle couldn't
> catch a small deer that seemed to have a death wish.

Oh, but they did. The caught the critter not once, but twice. If they
had been hungry, it would have been eaten. As it stands, they were just
play hunting, the deer an exciting new toy. Too bad it was so easily
damaged. :)

dgk
November 12th 09, 01:43 PM
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:09:56 -0500, Dragoman
> wrote:

>Cheryl wrote:
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, Cheryl exclaimed (11/11/2009 3:46 PM):

>>> Oh, sorry. Don't know why I said Mountain. I blame age :)
>>>

>> It makes it worse, doesn't it. That the king of the jungle couldn't
>> catch a small deer that seemed to have a death wish.
>

>Oh, but they did. The caught the critter not once, but twice. If they
>had been hungry, it would have been eaten. As it stands, they were just
>play hunting, the deer an exciting new toy. Too bad it was so easily
>damaged. :)

At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
even seen one of those things in the backyard.

Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
guess the grasshopper supply ran low.

But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.

cybercat
November 12th 09, 06:15 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.

This is sooo cute. I remember when you got Marlo, I wanted you to name her
something else. Or, rather, you asked for name suggestions and did not pick
mine. :P My Gracie does this with her favorite rubber snake, and nothing
else. And she is offering her kill to you, you know. Get those big roach
traps for your waterbugs, and for Marlo, a big toy one. Then you can praise
her when she jumps up on the bed with it. :)

jmc
November 13th 09, 02:52 AM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/12/2009 8:43 AM):
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:09:56 -0500, Dragoman
> > wrote:
>
>> Cheryl wrote:

>>> It makes it worse, doesn't it. That the king of the jungle couldn't
>>> catch a small deer that seemed to have a death wish.
>>
>> Oh, but they did. The caught the critter not once, but twice. If they
>> had been hungry, it would have been eaten. As it stands, they were just
>> play hunting, the deer an exciting new toy. Too bad it was so easily
>> damaged. :)
>

> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
> even seen one of those things in the backyard.

Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
looking thing?

> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.

Too Cute

> But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
> the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
> onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.

Speaking of playing with their prey...

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a
couple of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a
gigantic Maine Coon mix named Mouse.

I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse
and Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field
mouse cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but
watched.

Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
into the center..

Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
other).

At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse
is prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went
off to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies
took care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.

jmc

cybercat
November 13th 09, 03:44 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/12/2009 8:43 AM):
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:09:56 -0500, Dragoman
>> > wrote:

>>> Oh, but they did. The caught the critter not once, but twice. If they
>>> had been hungry, it would have been eaten. As it stands, they were just
>>> play hunting, the deer an exciting new toy. Too bad it was so easily
>>> damaged. :)
>>

>> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
>> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
>> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
>> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
>> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
>> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
>> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
>> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
>> even seen one of those things in the backyard.
>>

> Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
> looking thing?
>

>> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
>> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
>> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
>> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
>> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.
>>

> Too Cute
>
>> But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
>> the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
>> onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.
>
> Speaking of playing with their prey...
>
> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a couple
> of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a gigantic
> Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>
> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse and
> Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field mouse
> cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but watched.
>
> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
> into the center..
>
> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
> cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
> things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
> other).
>
> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse is
> prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went off
> to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies took
> care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.

I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.

dgk
November 13th 09, 02:10 PM
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:44:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"jmc" > wrote in message

>>> But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
>>> the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
>>> onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.
>>
>> Speaking of playing with their prey...
>>
>> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a couple
>> of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a gigantic
>> Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>>
>> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse and
>> Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field mouse
>> cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but watched.
>>
>> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
>> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
>> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
>> into the center..
>>
>> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
>> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
>> cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
>> things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
>> other).
>>
>> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse is
>> prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went off
>> to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies took
>> care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.
>>

>I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.

That's one reason I could never own a snake. How could I ever feed it
live mice? Or even crickets. Still, mice do really exist for one
purpose (outside of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and that is to be
food for birds and sometimes cats. In HGTTG, mice are the three
dimentional representation of pan-galactic beings that actually run
the universe.

I've rescued a few mice and birds from my cats, plus the occasional
oPossum baby. But I draw the line at waterbugs. If Marlo wants to off
a waterbug, I will not try to rescue it. I just found a wingless
waterbug body this morning. I'm sure the wings will turn up shortly.

dgk
November 13th 09, 02:11 PM
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:15:46 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
>> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
>> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
>> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
>> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.
>
>This is sooo cute. I remember when you got Marlo, I wanted you to name her
>something else. Or, rather, you asked for name suggestions and did not pick
>mine. :P My Gracie does this with her favorite rubber snake, and nothing
>else. And she is offering her kill to you, you know. Get those big roach
>traps for your waterbugs, and for Marlo, a big toy one. Then you can praise
>her when she jumps up on the bed with it. :)

Oh no, I wouldn't deny her the excitement of catching those things.
Besides, she is pretty plump and needs the exercise. Living in fear of
a live waterbug on the bed is a small price to pay.

dgk
November 13th 09, 02:15 PM
On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:52:00 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
>> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
>> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
>> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
>> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
>> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
>> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
>> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
>> even seen one of those things in the backyard.
>>

>Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
>looking thing?

No, not bright green. More a dull greyish color - maybe even a
cricket. It's only an inch long or so. I am absolutely mystified as to
where she gets them. Maybe this is just the season or something since
she's probably had three in the last three weeks.

Cheryl[_3_]
November 13th 09, 09:33 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message

> That's one reason I could never own a snake. How could I ever feed it
> live mice? Or even crickets. Still, mice do really exist for one
> purpose (outside of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and that is to be
> food for birds and sometimes cats. In HGTTG, mice are the three
> dimentional representation of pan-galactic beings that actually run
> the universe.

Mice also make nice pets. I have 3 now. There were 4 but one got a tumor,
and I thought she had a broken leg and took her to the ER vet. Vet told me
it wasn't a broken leg but a tumor interfering with her walking. I had to
have them put her to sleep. :(

cybercat
November 13th 09, 09:36 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 13:15:46 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote
>>> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
>>> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
>>> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
>>> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
>>> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.
>>
>>This is sooo cute. I remember when you got Marlo, I wanted you to name her
>>something else. Or, rather, you asked for name suggestions and did not
>>pick
>>mine. :P My Gracie does this with her favorite rubber snake, and nothing
>>else. And she is offering her kill to you, you know. Get those big roach
>>traps for your waterbugs, and for Marlo, a big toy one. Then you can
>>praise
>>her when she jumps up on the bed with it. :)
>>

> Oh no, I wouldn't deny her the excitement of catching those things.
> Besides, she is pretty plump and needs the exercise. Living in fear of
> a live waterbug on the bed is a small price to pay.

Makes sense. :)

Cheryl[_3_]
November 13th 09, 09:36 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:52:00 -0500, jmc
> > wrote:
>

>>> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
>>> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
>>> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
>>> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
>>> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
>>> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
>>> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
>>> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
>>> even seen one of those things in the backyard.
>>>

>>Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
>>looking thing?
>>

> No, not bright green. More a dull greyish color - maybe even a
> cricket. It's only an inch long or so. I am absolutely mystified as to
> where she gets them. Maybe this is just the season or something since
> she's probably had three in the last three weeks.

Camel cricket?
http://k53.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/48635264.CamelCricket100.jpg

cybercat
November 13th 09, 09:38 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:44:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

>>> Speaking of playing with their prey...
>>>
>>> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a
>>> couple
>>> of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a gigantic
>>> Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>>>
>>> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse
>>> and
>>> Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field mouse
>>> cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but
>>> watched.
>>>
>>> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
>>> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
>>> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
>>> into the center..
>>>
>>> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
>>> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
>>> cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
>>> things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
>>> other).
>>>
>>> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse
>>> is
>>> prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went off
>>> to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies
>>> took
>>> care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.
>>>

>>I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.
>>

> That's one reason I could never own a snake. How could I ever feed it
> live mice? Or even crickets. Still, mice do really exist for one
> purpose (outside of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and that is to be
> food for birds and sometimes cats. In HGTTG, mice are the three
> dimentional representation of pan-galactic beings that actually run
> the universe.

I could never watch an animal torture, terrify, and torment another animal
to death. I just don't have it in me. I understand it is "natural," but so
is smallpox. So are abcesses. If my cats don't need the mice for food,
forget it. Plus, they carry disease.

> I've rescued a few mice and birds from my cats, plus the occasional
> oPossum baby. But I draw the line at waterbugs. If Marlo wants to off
> a waterbug, I will not try to rescue it. I just found a wingless
> waterbug body this morning. I'm sure the wings will turn up shortly.

eeeeuuuu! I have to say, I don't feel the same sympathy for bugs, though I
might kill them rather than let the cat torture them. There are plenty of
things for cats to play with that have no pulse.

Cheryl[_3_]
November 14th 09, 12:29 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 22:44:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.
>>>

>> That's one reason I could never own a snake. How could I ever feed it
>> live mice? Or even crickets. Still, mice do really exist for one
>> purpose (outside of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and that is to be
>> food for birds and sometimes cats. In HGTTG, mice are the three
>> dimentional representation of pan-galactic beings that actually run
>> the universe.
>
> I could never watch an animal torture, terrify, and torment another animal
> to death. I just don't have it in me. I understand it is "natural," but so
> is smallpox. So are abcesses. If my cats don't need the mice for food,
> forget it. Plus, they carry disease.
>

>> I've rescued a few mice and birds from my cats, plus the occasional
>> oPossum baby. But I draw the line at waterbugs. If Marlo wants to off
>> a waterbug, I will not try to rescue it. I just found a wingless
>> waterbug body this morning. I'm sure the wings will turn up shortly.
>
> eeeeuuuu! I have to say, I don't feel the same sympathy for bugs, though I
> might kill them rather than let the cat torture them. There are plenty of
> things for cats to play with that have no pulse.

Do bugs have a pulse? They seem to be filled with green or yellow goo. Do
they have a heart?

Dragoman
November 14th 09, 02:17 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've rescued a few mice and birds from my cats, plus the occasional
>>> oPossum baby. But I draw the line at waterbugs. If Marlo wants to off
>>> a waterbug, I will not try to rescue it. I just found a wingless
>>> waterbug body this morning. I'm sure the wings will turn up shortly.
>>
>> eeeeuuuu! I have to say, I don't feel the same sympathy for bugs,
>> though I might kill them rather than let the cat torture them. There
>> are plenty of things for cats to play with that have no pulse.
>>
> Do bugs have a pulse? They seem to be filled with green or yellow goo.
> Do they have a heart?

They do, kinda-sorta. It works more like our gut than our heart.
There's even some animation to show how it moves:

http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/tutorial/circulatory.html

jmc
November 14th 09, 04:35 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (11/12/2009 10:44 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/12/2009 8:43 AM):
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:09:56 -0500, Dragoman

>>> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
>>> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
>>> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
>>> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
>>> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
>>> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
>>> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
>>> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
>>> even seen one of those things in the backyard.
>>>
>> Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
>> looking thing?
>>

>>> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
>>> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
>>> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
>>> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
>>> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.
>>>
>> Too Cute
>>
>>> But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
>>> the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
>>> onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.
>> Speaking of playing with their prey...
>>
>> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a couple
>> of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a gigantic
>> Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>>
>> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse and
>> Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field mouse
>> cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but watched.
>>
>> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
>> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
>> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
>> into the center..
>>
>> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
>> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
>> cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
>> things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
>> other).
>>
>> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse is
>> prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went off
>> to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies took
>> care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.
>>

> I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.

That's Ok, I don't mind :) Mice are cute, but they are vermin, and the
house was full of them. It was the cat's job to keep this under
control, and I wasn't going to discourage that.

jmc

jmc
November 14th 09, 04:43 AM
Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (11/12/2009 10:44 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/12/2009 8:43 AM):
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 01:09:56 -0500, Dragoman

>>> At least twice a week, when I'm reading before going to sleep, Marlo
>>> let's out this continuous yowling while walking into the bedroom, and
>>> there is always something in her mouth. It is sometimes a big yucky
>>> waterbug. I figure those just come up from the pipes in the shower
>>> when it gets dark. But she sometimes brings in a grasshopper-like
>>> thing. I can't figure out where she gets those from. I've never seen
>>> one in the house unless she brings it to me. I do sometimes leave the
>>> kitchen door open so the cats go into the backyard, but I've never
>>> even seen one of those things in the backyard.
>>>
>> Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
>> looking thing?
>>

>>> Anyway, of my three cats, she is far and away the best hunter. Last
>>> night I already had the light off when she came in yowling. I could
>>> make out something pretty big in her mouth, so turned on the light
>>> fearing some disaster. Luckily it turned out to be a toy mouse. I
>>> guess the grasshopper supply ran low.
>>>
>> Too Cute
>>
>>> But the instinct to play with her prey is undeniable. Only rarely is
>>> the creature dead when I see it; and I live in fear that she will jump
>>> onto the bed with a live waterbug and start chasing it around. Ugh.
>> Speaking of playing with their prey...
>>
>> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a couple
>> of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a gigantic
>> Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>>
>> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse and
>> Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field mouse
>> cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing but watched.
>>
>> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
>> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
>> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted it
>> into the center..
>>
>> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
>> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days! Yes,
>> cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most interesting
>> things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they despised each
>> other).
>>
>> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the mouse is
>> prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while, then went off
>> to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One of my roomies took
>> care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually died.
>>

> I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.

Oh, and I was a *lot* younger in those days. My previous post might
have been cavalier about it, but truth be told I'm not sure I would
stand by and watch if this happened again. Mice were a real problem in
that old farmhouse, and that was probably a factor.

jmc

Dragoman
November 14th 09, 04:51 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (11/12/2009 10:44 PM):
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I shared a house with a
>>> couple of roomies and a Siamese named Cleo. My cat at the time was a
>>> gigantic Maine Coon mix named Mouse.
>>>
>>> I came out to the living room one morning to a very odd scene: Mouse
>>> and Cleo facing each other, perhaps 6 or 7 feet apart, with a field
>>> mouse cowering in the middle between them. Curious, I did nothing
>>> but watched.
>>>
>>> Eventually, the mouse made a run for it, heading towards Mouse and
>>> freedom. Mouse casually reached out a paw and swatted it into the
>>> center... mousie broke the other way, and Cleo did the same, swatted
>>> it into the center..
>>>
>>> Yes, Boys and Girls, Mouse and Cleo were playing tennis with the poor
>>> terrified mouse! Man, I wish video cameras existed in those days!
>>> Yes, cats are cruel predators, but it was still one of the most
>>> interesting things I've ever seen two cats do together (usually they
>>> despised each other).
>>>
>>> At any rate, I've always had a rule: If a cat has the mouse, the
>>> mouse is prey, and belongs to the cat. I watched them for a while,
>>> then went off to work, leaving the cats to their entertainment. One
>>> of my roomies took care of the mouse when the poor thing eventually
>>> died.
>>>

>> I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.
>>

> That's Ok, I don't mind :) Mice are cute, but they are vermin, and the
> house was full of them. It was the cat's job to keep this under
> control, and I wasn't going to discourage that.

But you wrote "field mouse"! They are most certainly not vermin.
They are shy, gentle critters; when such stray indoors, I usually catch
them (throw a towel on them first) and take them outside. They are not
house-smart, and don't destroy stuff. House mice, that's another story -
that's why you need cats, and I wouldn't interfere in cats' play with them.

jmc
November 14th 09, 01:17 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Dragoman exclaimed (11/13/2009 11:51 PM):
> jmc wrote:
>> Suddenly, without warning, cybercat exclaimed (11/12/2009 10:44 PM):

>>> I could never watch this. I think a lot less of you after reading this.
>>>

>> That's Ok, I don't mind :) Mice are cute, but they are vermin, and the
>> house was full of them. It was the cat's job to keep this under
>> control, and I wasn't going to discourage that.
>
> But you wrote "field mouse"! They are most certainly not vermin.
> They are shy, gentle critters; when such stray indoors, I usually catch
> them (throw a towel on them first) and take them outside. They are not
> house-smart, and don't destroy stuff. House mice, that's another story -
> that's why you need cats, and I wouldn't interfere in cats' play with them.

'fraid I'm not mouse smart, and don't really know the difference. It
was a tiny little mouse like we'd see in the barn at the stable, and
those most certainly are destructive little critters.

jmc

cybercat
November 14th 09, 08:40 PM
"jmc" > wrote:

> 'fraid I'm not mouse smart, and don't really know the difference. It was
> a tiny little mouse like we'd see in the barn at the stable, and those
> most certainly are destructive little critters.

However you get your jollies. You might want to think again before bragging
about how much fun it is to watch any animal tortured and terrified to
death. Buh byee.

dgk
November 16th 09, 01:25 PM
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:36:55 -0500, "Cheryl" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message

>>>Is it a bright green grasshopper like thing, or an oversized cricket
>>>looking thing?
>>>

>> No, not bright green. More a dull greyish color - maybe even a
>> cricket. It's only an inch long or so. I am absolutely mystified as to
>> where she gets them. Maybe this is just the season or something since
>> she's probably had three in the last three weeks.
>
>Camel cricket?
>http://k53.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/48635264.CamelCricket100.jpg

That does sort of look like it. I really didn't look too closely at
them. And they were likely missing a few legs. Now would someone
please explain how she keeps finding them?

jmc
November 16th 09, 02:04 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/16/2009 8:25 AM):
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:36:55 -0500, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:52:00 -0500, jmc
>>>>

>>> No, not bright green. More a dull greyish color - maybe even a
>>> cricket. It's only an inch long or so. I am absolutely mystified as to
>>> where she gets them. Maybe this is just the season or something since
>>> she's probably had three in the last three weeks.
>> Camel cricket?
>> http://k53.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/48635264.CamelCricket100.jpg
>

> That does sort of look like it. I really didn't look too closely at
> them. And they were likely missing a few legs. Now would someone
> please explain how she keeps finding them?

I think they only come out at night, and avoid light. Those are what I
was thinking of too, but could not remember the name. Once you turn out
the lights and go to bed, they're probably coming out of their daytime
hiding places. You've got a great little hunter there!

jmc

MLB[_2_]
November 18th 09, 07:30 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:36:55 -0500, "Cheryl" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:52:00 -0500, jmc

>>> No, not bright green. More a dull greyish color - maybe even a
>>> cricket. It's only an inch long or so. I am absolutely mystified as to
>>> where she gets them. Maybe this is just the season or something since
>>> she's probably had three in the last three weeks.
>> Camel cricket?
>> http://k53.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/48635264.CamelCricket100.jpg
>

> That does sort of look like it. I really didn't look too closely at
> them. And they were likely missing a few legs. Now would someone
> please explain how she keeps finding them?

Her vision is probably sharper than yours. Best wishes. MLB

dgk
November 19th 09, 01:45 PM
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:30:56 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:36:55 -0500, "Cheryl" >
>> wrote:

>>> Camel cricket?
>>> http://k53.pbase.com/o4/90/516390/1/48635264.CamelCricket100.jpg
>>

>> That does sort of look like it. I really didn't look too closely at
>> them. And they were likely missing a few legs. Now would someone
>> please explain how she keeps finding them?
>

>Her vision is probably sharper than yours. Best wishes. MLB

That's really depressing. My vision was the only thing that still
worked right.

cybercat
November 19th 09, 03:50 PM
"dgk" > wrote
>>Her vision is probably sharper than yours. Best wishes. MLB
>
> That's really depressing. My vision was the only thing that still
> worked right.

I beg to differ. Your mind seems to be working well also.

MLB[_2_]
November 19th 09, 06:14 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:30:56 -0700, MLB > wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:

>>> That does sort of look like it. I really didn't look too closely at
>>> them. And they were likely missing a few legs. Now would someone
>>> please explain how she keeps finding them?
>>

>> Her vision is probably sharper than yours. Best wishes. MLB
>
> That's really depressing. My vision was the only thing that still
> worked right.

Believe me, I know the feeling. My favorite saying is: "Everything
hurts and what doesn't hurt, doesn't work." The last of life for which
the first was made???? My cat can definitely see better than I can .
Best wishes/ MLB

dgk
November 19th 09, 09:48 PM
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:14:30 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:

>>> Her vision is probably sharper than yours. Best wishes. MLB
>>
>> That's really depressing. My vision was the only thing that still
>> worked right.
>

>Believe me, I know the feeling. My favorite saying is: "Everything
>hurts and what doesn't hurt, doesn't work." The last of life for which
>the first was made???? My cat can definitely see better than I can .
>Best wishes/ MLB

According to a noted authority on the subject (my mother) it doesn't
get any better either.