PDA

View Full Version : vet advice on the cheap somehow?

Tom+Gracie+Max
November 11th 09, 02:53 AM
A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
but cannot afford a vet.

I have suggested the local vet schools and the ASPCA as possible
places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
make?

The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
litter box before.

Thanks very much.

dgk
November 12th 09, 01:45 PM
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:53:17 -0800 (PST), "Tom+Gracie+Max"
> wrote:

>A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
>but cannot afford a vet.
>
>I have suggested the local vet schools and the ASPCA as possible
>places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
>make?
>
>The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
>clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
>litter box before.
>
>Thanks very much.

WTF, you're lucky I got this instead of Cybercat. First thing to check
when a cat starts uriniating inappropriately is for a urinary tract
infection. Maybe she can find a vet who will just let her buy
antibiotics for the cat?

Kelly Greene
November 12th 09, 04:33 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:53:17 -0800 (PST), "Tom+Gracie+Max"
> > wrote:
>
>>A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
>>but cannot afford a vet.
>>
>>I have suggested the local vet schools and the ASPCA as possible
>>places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
>>make?
>>
>>The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
>>clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
>>litter box before.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>

> WTF, you're lucky I got this instead of Cybercat. First thing to check
> when a cat starts uriniating inappropriately is for a urinary tract
> infection. Maybe she can find a vet who will just let her buy
> antibiotics for the cat?

I think by law they have to examine the animals before prescribing
prescription medication. The cat needs to see a vet.

cybercat
November 12th 09, 06:12 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:53:17 -0800 (PST), "Tom+Gracie+Max"
> > wrote:
>
>>A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
>>but cannot afford a vet.
>>
>>I have suggested the local vet schools and the ASPCA as possible
>>places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
>>make?
>>
>>The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
>>clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
>>litter box before.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>

> WTF, you're lucky I got this instead of Cybercat. First thing to check
> when a cat starts uriniating inappropriately is for a urinary tract
> infection. Maybe she can find a vet who will just let her buy
> antibiotics for the cat?

Or she can sell something, borrow money from her family or a friend. Male
cats can die from blockage as a result of this. How about you, Tom? If this
is your friend, take a collection amongst your other friends.

Tom+Gracie+Max
December 29th 09, 04:38 PM
On Nov 10, 9:53*pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
> A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> but cannot afford avet.
>
> I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> places that might help. *Were there any other suggestions I might
> make?
>
> The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> litter box before.
>
> Thanks very much.

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.

She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
there was
nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160 ( that
was the bad news).

Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. Paid off the bill, has
a healthy cat.

Thanks again!

December 30th 09, 06:51 AM
On Dec 29, 8:38*am, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 9:53*pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
>
> > A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> > but cannot afford avet.
>
> > I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> > places that might help. *Were there any other suggestions I might
> > make?
>
> > The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> > clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> > litter box before.
>
> > Thanks very much.
>
> Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.
>
> She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
> there was
> nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160 ( that
> was the bad news).
>
> Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. *Paid off the bill, has
> a healthy cat.
>
> Thanks again!

$160 for a simple checkup? I can get a senior checkup with bloodwork
and EKG for that. What all did the vet do?

And how was the problem solved if it wasn't medical? That usually
means stress of some kind - was that addressed?

cybercat
December 30th 09, 07:49 AM
> wrote in message
On Dec 29, 8:38 am, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
> On Nov 10, 9:53 pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
>
> > A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> > but cannot afford avet.
>
> > I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> > places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
> > make?
>
> > The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> > clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> > litter box before.
>
> > Thanks very much.
>
> Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.
>
> She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
> there was
> nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160 ( that
> was the bad news).
>
> Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. Paid off the bill, has
> a healthy cat.
>
> Thanks again!

$160 for a simple checkup? I can get a senior checkup with bloodwork
and EKG for that. What all did the vet do?

>And how was the problem solved if it wasn't medical? That usually
>means stress of some kind - was that addressed?

You sound like you think the OP was ripped off if there is not something
medically wrong with the cat. For us, a checkup means bloodwork, physical
exam, fecal. The works. EKG? What for? I assume your cat(s) have heart
conditions?

cybercat
December 30th 09, 07:56 AM
"Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote in message
On Nov 10, 9:53 pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
> A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> but cannot afford avet.
>
> I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
> make?
>
> The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> litter box before.
>
> Thanks very much.

>Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.

>She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
>there was nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160
>( that
>was the bad news).

>Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. Paid off the bill, has
>a healthy cat.

Right. When an animal begins eliminating inappropriately, a checkup in in
order. When people complain about "there's nothing wrong and here's a bill
for $160" I generally think they probably should not have animals.

Meghan is right that stress (they are upset about some upheaval) is often
the culprit. More often a chronically dirty litter box is the problem.

As for what $160 will get you, it varies per vet, and I find it helpful to
discuss money with the person I am making an appointment with, AND with the
vet before they do anything. I want to know what things cost, and I want to
be advised before anything is done. I have not yet said "no" to anything the
vet suggested, but have had one vet that charged different amounts
consistently for the exact same thing (a depo shot) and that sometimes
charges an "office visit" fee and sometimes did not. One vet charged for an
exam every single time I asked her to weigh the cat, and that was ALL she
did. I take good care of my animals but am not giving any vet carte blanche
after these recent experiences. Point: if the OP did not know what she was
getting for what price, shame on her.

January 1st 10, 08:25 AM
On Dec 29 2009, 11:49*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Dec 29, 8:38 am, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 10, 9:53 pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
>
> > > A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> > > but cannot afford avet.
>
> > > I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> > > places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
> > > make?
>
> > > The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> > > clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> > > litter box before.
>
> > > Thanks very much.
>
> > Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.
>
> > She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
> > there was
> > nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160 ( that
> > was the bad news).
>
> > Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. Paid off the bill, has
> > a healthy cat.
>
> > Thanks again!
>
> $160 for a simple checkup? *I can get a senior checkup with bloodwork
> and EKG for that. What all did the vet do?
>
> >And how was the problem solved if it wasn't medical? That usually
> >means stress of some kind - was that addressed?
>
> You sound like you think the OP was ripped off if there is not something
> medically wrong with the cat. *For us, a checkup means bloodwork, physical
> exam, fecal. The works. EKG? What for? I assume your cat(s) have heart
> conditions?

No, no heart condition. I was just listing what my cat gets when I do
a senior exam, and it was a lot cheaper than $160. This cat had a
urination problem. A basic checkup without any medications required
would have run about $50-60 here. Add in the bloodwork, and about
$120. I just find it extremely expensive for a basic checkup to be
$160.

January 1st 10, 08:35 AM
On Dec 29 2009, 11:56*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote in message

> On Nov 10, 9:53 pm, "Tom+Gracie+Max" > wrote:
>

> > A friend on another group has a cat that may need medical attention,
> > but cannot afford avet.
>
> > I have suggested the localvetschools and the ASPCA as possible
> > places that might help. Were there any other suggestions I might
> > make?
>
> > The symptoms are that the 15 year old has started urinating in the
> > clothes basket and other places, but has never had a problem with the
> > litter box before.
>
> > Thanks very much.
> >Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.
> >She did dig up the money, got the vet to look. Of course, the vet said
> >there was nothing wrong (that's the good news) and here's a bill for $160
> >( that
> >was the bad news).
> >Which, in the end, is what she was hoping for. *Paid off the bill, has
> >a healthy cat.
>
> Right. When an animal begins eliminating inappropriately, a checkup in in
> order. When people complain about "there's nothing wrong and here's a bill
> for $160" I generally think they probably should not have animals.

I don't mind paying for real services, but for that price, I would
expect a full bloodwork panel, and some medications for whatever was
found. Or a really expensive area. A simple checkup, which is what I
assumed the cat got, would be less than half that cost. That is why I
was surprised.

> As for what $160 will get you, it varies per vet, and I find it helpful to
> discuss money with the person I am making an appointment with, AND with the
> vet before they do anything. I want to know what things cost, and I want to
> be advised before anything is done. I have not yet said "no" to anything the
> vet suggested, but have had one vet that charged different amounts
> consistently for the exact same thing (a depo shot) and that sometimes
> charges an "office visit" fee and sometimes did not. One vet charged for an
> exam every single time I asked her to weigh the cat, and that was ALL she
> did. I take good care of my animals but am not giving any vet carte blanche
> after these recent experiences. Point: if the OP did not know what she was
> getting for what price, shame on her.

I tried a vet that was close to us when my dog had a small problem. It
turned out to be mange, which usually means a simple pill for
treatment. But my dog was a sheltie, and could not take that
medication. So, instead, she had to have a special treatment every
other week for 3 months. Same treatment each time, but different price
each time. At the end of it, it was clear they were preparing me for
a positive test result that would mean another 3 months of treatment.
The first two tests after month 1 and 2 were negative, and the hair
had all grown back in, so clearly the treatment had worked. I would
have changed vets during treatment except I had to buy the bottle of
special medicine that they had to special order. But I never went
back. My old vet (across town) has always been good. Last year, he
retired, but the two new vets are both great, and their prices have
remained reasonable. Their basic bloodwork is now done inhouse, and
doesn't cost any more, so the results are available faster.