PDA

View Full Version : Catnip! What happened?

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 03:48 AM
What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought 3
different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

Mark Earnest
November 13th 09, 04:53 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought
> 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
> going bonkers with something filled with catnip. \

It must be like alcohol with them...you build up a tolerance.

Maybe your specific cat didn't, but maybe cat kind did.

Matthew[_3_]
November 13th 09, 05:01 AM
you need to find one with valerian in it
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought
> 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
> going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

MLB[_2_]
November 13th 09, 05:48 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night, MLB

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 06:14 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
> you need to find one with valerian in it

What brands have Valerian in them? These smell great and are fresh, yet
there's no response from the cats at all.

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
>> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 06:19 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
>> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>
> If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
> apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
> catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
> MLB

These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it and
the stores selling it?

FirstHit
November 13th 09, 06:48 AM
On Nov 12, 9:48*pm, MLB > wrote:
> Kelly Greene wrote:
> > What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
> > bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
> > years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>
> * *If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
> apparently are not impressed with catnip. *Years ago, I placed a large
> catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night, *MLB

Hmm. I got some catnip with the latest scratching post I bought and
just stored it away because I have bad memories of catnip with my
previous cat. She used to get mean when she was around it. This cat
has some Siamese in his background, so I'll have to see how he reacts.

FirstHit

dgk
November 13th 09, 02:22 PM
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> wrote:

>"MLB" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>>> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
>>> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
>> apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
>> catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
>> MLB
>

>These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
>kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
>If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it and
>the stores selling it?

That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.

I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
will. Some cats just don't care about it though.

Matthew[_3_]
November 13th 09, 02:38 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>> you need to find one with valerian in it
>
> What brands have Valerian in them? These smell great and are fresh, yet
> there's no response from the cats at all.
>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>>> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
>>> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

Usually the cheaper brands you will know which ones have it in the smell
is extremely strong

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 04:35 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
>>These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
>>kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
>>If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
>>and
>>the stores selling it?
>

> That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
> to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
> designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
> just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
> didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
> some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>
> I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
> will. Some cats just don't care about it though.

I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
because these three brands do nothing.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 04:37 PM
"Confused" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>
>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>> bought 3
>> different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
>> going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>
> My cats react a bit to catnip spray, but then they get bored quickly.
> Does regular catnip get stale over time?

Yes. It's like any other herb.

MLB[_2_]
November 13th 09, 05:19 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
>>> These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long
>>> hair
>>> kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one
>>> up.
>>> If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying
>>> it and
>>> the stores selling it?
>>

>> That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
>> to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
>> designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
>> just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
>> didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
>> some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>>
>> I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
>> will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
>
> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
> because these three brands do nothing.

Is there a garden nursery or garden supply store in your area? If so,
they may have small plants or seed packages that you could plant in a
pot or garden. In the garden, the plants can take over. I had a nice
plant that I harvested and dried until the condo gardener sprayed and
killed it. MLB

cybercat
November 13th 09, 05:54 PM
"Confused" > wrote
> My cats react a bit to catnip spray, but then they get bored quickly.
> Does regular catnip get stale over time?

Not in my experience, but is it cheap, so why not replenish? The best catnip
is from Fatcat, called "Zoom Around the Room." It has never failed. Their
cat toys are stuffed with it, and watching your cat with these things is
hilarious.

http://www.shopfatcat.com/

You can also get the cat toys on cat supply sites or ebay. I love them, and
give them as gifts, getting back video of my friends' cats kicking the snot
out of these things. You can even buy Barack Obama or George Bush, depending
on whom you would like to see beaten up by your cat. :)

FirstHit
November 13th 09, 09:22 PM
On Nov 13, 8:35*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message

> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> >>These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
> >>kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
> >>If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
> >>and
> >>the stores selling it?
>
> > That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
> > to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
> > designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
> > just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
> > didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
> > some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>
> > I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
> > will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
>
> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
> because these three brands do nothing.

You might want to try this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1360

I have never tried this, but it looks promising.

FirstHit

Phil P.
November 13th 09, 09:25 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I bought
3
> different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
> going bonkers with something filled with catnip.

The response to catnip is inherited as a dominant autosomal gene- so not
all cats have it. That's why some cats go crazy over it and some don't.

Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]
November 13th 09, 09:44 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
>>>

>>> That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
>>> to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
>>> designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
>>> just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
>>> didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
>>> some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>>>
>>> I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
>>> will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
>>
>> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
>> because these three brands do nothing.
>

> Is there a garden nursery or garden supply store in your area? If so,
> they may have small plants or seed packages that you could plant in a pot
> or garden. In the garden, the plants can take over. I had a nice plant
> that I harvested and dried until the condo gardener sprayed and killed it.
> MLB

Yeah, I bought 4 itty-bitty plants (less than 4 inches tall) at a nearby
garden center/greenhouse. Planted them in the back yard garden (and
pet-grave) area last spring. First year they grew to may 2-3 feet tall.
This year, nearly 5 feet! Way more than my clowder would ever use. Also
found catnip plants growing on the other side of the yard (60+ feet away)
and on the other side of the house (in the FRONT yard garden!!!!). Plenty
strong smelling, too, and the cats do go wacko for it when I bring it
in.Maybe this stuff will give the Virginia creeper, poison ivy and
honeysuckle a run for their money.

Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]
November 13th 09, 09:45 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>>> bought 3 different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats
>>> years ago going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
>> apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
>> catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
>> MLB
>

> These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
> kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
> If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
> and the stores selling it?

So are they cats or kittens? Kittens usually don't react to catnip until 8+
months old.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 11:30 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
>>>

>>> That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
>>> to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
>>> designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
>>> just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
>>> didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
>>> some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>>>
>>> I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
>>> will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
>>
>> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
>> because these three brands do nothing.
>

> Is there a garden nursery or garden supply store in your area? If so,
> they may have small plants or seed packages that you could plant in a pot
> or garden. In the garden, the plants can take over. I had a nice plant
> that I harvested and dried until the condo gardener sprayed and killed it.
> MLB

In the summer yes. I have a large vegetable garden every summer. Seeds
would be good. The stores start selling them here in Feb. It has a lot of
space to grow behind the house.

In town we have a Lowe's and a Home Depot that sell all kinds of seeds and
plants in the the spring and summer.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 11:32 PM
"Magic Mood Jeep" > wrote in message
> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
>>> because these three brands do nothing.
>>

>> Is there a garden nursery or garden supply store in your area? If so,
>> they may have small plants or seed packages that you could plant in a pot
>> or garden. In the garden, the plants can take over. I had a nice plant
>> that I harvested and dried until the condo gardener sprayed and killed
>> it. MLB
>

> Yeah, I bought 4 itty-bitty plants (less than 4 inches tall) at a nearby
> garden center/greenhouse. Planted them in the back yard garden (and
> pet-grave) area last spring. First year they grew to may 2-3 feet tall.
> This year, nearly 5 feet! Way more than my clowder would ever use. Also
> found catnip plants growing on the other side of the yard (60+ feet away)
> and on the other side of the house (in the FRONT yard garden!!!!). Plenty
> strong smelling, too, and the cats do go wacko for it when I bring it
> in.Maybe this stuff will give the Virginia creeper, poison ivy and
> honeysuckle a run for their money.

I have plenty of space for catnip to grow. I didn't know it was a
perennial.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 11:33 PM
"Magic Mood Jeep" > wrote in message
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

>>> If I remember correctly, Siamese cats (or with it in their ancestry)
>>> apparently are not impressed with catnip. Years ago, I placed a large
>>> catnip plant on my patio and the feral cats destroyed it in one night,
>>> MLB
>>

>> These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long hair
>> kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one up.
>> If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
>> and the stores selling it?
>

> So are they cats or kittens? Kittens usually don't react to catnip until
> 8+ months old.

One is 6 weeks old and the other about 5 months old.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 11:37 PM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Nov 13, 8:35 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message

> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:19:19 -0600, "Kelly Greene"
> >>These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long
> >>hair
> >>kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick one
> >>up.
> >>If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still buying it
> >>and
> >>the stores selling it?
>
> > That's a good coincidence. I was just in the pet shop and bought some
> > to help get the cats used to the litter robot - there are all sorts of
> > designer-type catnip cans. There are even some varieties that look
> > just like thai sticks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_stick). I
> > didn't open the container I just bought though since I came across
> > some already opened. All three cats did the usual catnip reaction.
>
> > I'll have to try the fancy new one and see if it works. I'm sure it
> > will. Some cats just don't care about it though.
>
> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet stores
> because these three brands do nothing.

You might want to try this:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=1360

I have never tried this, but it looks promising.

FirstHit
~ ~ ~ ~
That one looks good. I may just wait until spring and grow my own. I also
grow my own basil and oregano.

Kelly Greene
November 13th 09, 11:53 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
>> bought
> 3
>> different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
>> going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
>

> The response to catnip is inherited as a dominant autosomal gene- so not
> all cats have it. That's why some cats go crazy over it and some don't.

That's good to know. I was wondering why these two kittens showed no
interest in catnip. These are the first cats I've ever owned that didn't
react to it.

MLB[_2_]
November 14th 09, 12:41 AM
Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:

>>> I'll ask for them the next time I'm in one of our large chain pet
>>> stores because these three brands do nothing.
>>

>> Is there a garden nursery or garden supply store in your area? If so,
>> they may have small plants or seed packages that you could plant in a
>> pot or garden. In the garden, the plants can take over. I had a nice
>> plant that I harvested and dried until the condo gardener sprayed and
>> killed it. MLB
>

> Yeah, I bought 4 itty-bitty plants (less than 4 inches tall) at a nearby
> garden center/greenhouse. Planted them in the back yard garden (and
> pet-grave) area last spring. First year they grew to may 2-3 feet tall.
> This year, nearly 5 feet! Way more than my clowder would ever use.
> Also found catnip plants growing on the other side of the yard (60+ feet
> away) and on the other side of the house (in the FRONT yard
> garden!!!!). Plenty strong smelling, too, and the cats do go wacko for
> it when I bring it in.Maybe this stuff will give the Virginia creeper,
> poison ivy and honeysuckle a run for their money.

You can dry it in the oven on 200 or just a few seconds in the
microwave. Then store in a closed container in the fridge. MLB

Magic Mood Jeep[_4_]
November 14th 09, 02:38 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Magic Mood Jeep" > wrote in message

>>> These don't appear to have Siamese in them, especially the semi-long
>>> hair kitten. I've seen the catnip plants in a few petshops. I may pick
>>> one up. If today's catnip has no effect, I wonder why people are still
>>> buying it and the stores selling it?
>>

>> So are they cats or kittens? Kittens usually don't react to catnip until
>> 8+ months old.
>
> One is 6 weeks old and the other about 5 months old.

And there you have your answer - they are too young to be affected by
catnip!

Phil P.
November 14th 09, 03:08 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> >
> > "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> >> What's with catnip these days? The cats don't react to it at all. I
> >> bought
> > 3
> >> different brands and none have any effect. I remember my cats years ago
> >> going bonkers with something filled with catnip.
> >

> > The response to catnip is inherited as a dominant autosomal gene- so not
> > all cats have it. That's why some cats go crazy over it and some
don't.

> That's good to know. I was wondering why these two kittens showed no
> interest in catnip. These are the first cats I've ever owned that didn't
> react to it.

Many kittens under 5-6 months and older (geriatric) cats don't respond to
catnip regardless of their genes.

Kelly Greene
November 14th 09, 05:22 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>
>> That's good to know. I was wondering why these two kittens showed no
>> interest in catnip. These are the first cats I've ever owned that didn't
>> react to it.
>>

> Many kittens under 5-6 months and older (geriatric) cats don't respond to
> catnip regardless of their genes.

I'll keep it sealed up until they're a little older. :-)