PDA

View Full Version : Both eating wet food :-)))


Kelly Greene
November 20th 09, 08:59 PM
I finally got Zephyr to eat canned cat food. I'll phase out the small
amount of dry food mixed in with it until it's 100% canned. They refused to
eat any of the Wellness or Solid Gold dry food we bought for them. Until
today, Zephyr would only eat Purina dry food. My new vet highly recommends
canned food only.

FirstHit
November 22nd 09, 08:45 AM
On Nov 20, 11:59*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> I finally got Zephyr to eat canned cat food. *I'll phase out the small
> amount of dry food mixed in with it until it's 100% canned. They refused to
> eat any of the Wellness or Solid Gold dry food we bought for them. *Until
> today, Zephyr would only eat Purina dry food. *My new vet highly recommends
> canned food only.

What wet food are your cats eating? I have mine on Wellness Chicken
Formula. I converted from dry not long ago. The canned food (and
possibly the probiotics) has fixed my cat's diarrhea problem. I am
grateful to all here who have been recommending grainless canned food.

FirstHit

Kelly Greene
November 24th 09, 03:58 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
...
On Nov 20, 11:59 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> I finally got Zephyr to eat canned cat food. I'll phase out the small
> amount of dry food mixed in with it until it's 100% canned. They refused
> to
> eat any of the Wellness or Solid Gold dry food we bought for them. Until
> today, Zephyr would only eat Purina dry food. My new vet highly recommends
> canned food only.

> What wet food are your cats eating?

9-Lives, FancyFeast, Friskies and Special Kitty. Read the cans first to
avoid any that may contain grains. Leave those on the shelf. ;-) They also
get a few TBPs of fat free cottage cheese every day. Growing kitties need
their calcium.

>I have mine on Wellness Chicken
Formula. I converted from dry not long ago. The canned food (and
possibly the probiotics) has fixed my cat's diarrhea problem. I am
grateful to all here who have been recommending grainless canned food.

I bought the grain free Wellness dry food, but they will not eat it even
when mixed with wet food. When the last of the Purina is gone - that's it
for dry cat food in this house. By then Zephyr will be on canned 100%. She
didn't seem to notice her meals were becoming more and more canned although
occasionally she refused to eat and skipped a meal. She'd sit by the
cabinet where the cat food is kept in the kitchen, and meow. By the next
meal time she dove into the canned food. :-)


FirstHit

FirstHit
November 24th 09, 05:43 AM
On Nov 23, 6:58*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:

> I bought the grain free Wellness dry food, but they will not eat it even
> when mixed with wet food. *When the last of the Purina is gone - that's it
> for dry cat food in this house. By then Zephyr will be on canned 100%. She
> didn't seem to notice her meals were becoming more and more canned although
> occasionally she refused to eat and skipped a meal. *She'd sit by the
> cabinet where the cat food is kept in the kitchen, and meow. By the next
> meal time she dove into the canned food. * :-)

When you're hungry enough, anything tastes good. :-)

FirstHit

jmc
November 27th 09, 01:59 PM
Suddenly, without warning, FirstHit exclaimed (11/23/2009 11:43 PM):
> On Nov 23, 6:58 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>
>> I bought the grain free Wellness dry food, but they will not eat it even
>> when mixed with wet food. When the last of the Purina is gone - that's it
>> for dry cat food in this house. By then Zephyr will be on canned 100%. She
>> didn't seem to notice her meals were becoming more and more canned although
>> occasionally she refused to eat and skipped a meal. She'd sit by the
>> cabinet where the cat food is kept in the kitchen, and meow. By the next
>> meal time she dove into the canned food. :-)
>
> When you're hungry enough, anything tastes good. :-)
>
> FirstHit
>

Unfortunately, cats don't always think that way. My cat will literally
starve rather than eat food she's decided isn't food.

Fortunately, for whatever reason she's suddenly decided it's all food,
and is finally (!) putting on some weight - she was quite skinny from
eating only a little of the canned. My choices with here have been
skinny and healthy or feed her dry and have a good weight but cystitis
attacks.

Now I'm worried because she's actually eating well.. go figure. It's
not that she is, but that the change from "eating like a bird" to
cleaning her plate was kind of sudden. And started, of course, the day
after I made an appointment to the vet to discuss her skinniness and
what to do :)

Still have the appointment on Monday, just the conversation will be a
bit different. She's due for some blood tests anyway, to see how she's
doing on the Metacam.

jmc

Bill Graham
December 5th 09, 01:37 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
...
On Nov 23, 6:58 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:

> I bought the grain free Wellness dry food, but they will not eat it even
> when mixed with wet food. When the last of the Purina is gone - that's it
> for dry cat food in this house. By then Zephyr will be on canned 100%. She
> didn't seem to notice her meals were becoming more and more canned
> although
> occasionally she refused to eat and skipped a meal. She'd sit by the
> cabinet where the cat food is kept in the kitchen, and meow. By the next
> meal time she dove into the canned food. :-)

When you're hungry enough, anything tastes good. :-)

FirstHit

Yes. When I got my B-K home (from the Burger King parking lot)
He loved the dry food my other cats were eating. It was sure better than
the French fry's and onion rings he had been living on for ?? weeks/months.
Now, other than milk, he seldom eats anything else.....I have tried getting
him to switch to wet food, but he doesn't seem to like it. He does catch
himself mice, moles, lizards and birds from time to time, so perhaps he is
getting enough fresh food to keep himself healthy......

Dragoman
December 5th 09, 03:28 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
>
> Yes. When I got my B-K home (from the Burger King parking lot) .....I
> have tried getting him to switch to wet food, but he doesn't seem to
> like it. He does catch himself mice, moles, lizards and birds from time
> to time, so perhaps he is getting enough fresh food to keep himself
> healthy......

Moles? You probably meant voles. I can't even imagine how a cat
would catch moles - not that they'll be running too fast, but still... :)

Bill Graham
December 5th 09, 03:47 AM
"Dragoman" > wrote in message
...
> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>> Yes. When I got my B-K home (from the Burger King parking lot) .....I
>> have tried getting him to switch to wet food, but he doesn't seem to like
>> it. He does catch himself mice, moles, lizards and birds from time to
>> time, so perhaps he is getting enough fresh food to keep himself
>> healthy......
>
> Moles? You probably meant voles. I can't even imagine how a cat would
> catch moles - not that they'll be running too fast, but still... :)

No. I meant moles. B-K catches voles too, but my next door neighbor keeps a
nice lawn, and the moles destroy it with their tracks....B-K lies in wait
for them to emerge, and pounces on them.....The neighbor loves him. He is
allergic to cats, but B-K is his buddy.....:^)

Dragoman
December 5th 09, 04:53 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
>
> "Dragoman" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. When I got my B-K home (from the Burger King parking lot) .....I
>>> have tried getting him to switch to wet food, but he doesn't seem to
>>> like it. He does catch himself mice, moles, lizards and birds from
>>> time to time, so perhaps he is getting enough fresh food to keep
>>> himself healthy......
>>
>> Moles? You probably meant voles. I can't even imagine how a cat
>> would catch moles - not that they'll be running too fast, but still... :)
>
> No. I meant moles. B-K catches voles too, but my next door neighbor
> keeps a nice lawn, and the moles destroy it with their tracks....B-K
> lies in wait for them to emerge, and pounces on them.....The neighbor
> loves him. He is allergic to cats, but B-K is his buddy.....:^)

Wow! B-K is one cool cat. Does he clean the dirt before eating the
mole? :)
Speaking of allergies, I have a strange slight allergy to cats
(which doesn't prevent me from having and playing with them). It
manifests as follows - if I get a scratch that penetrates the skin, the
place swells temporarily as from a mosquito bite. I usually can prevent
it from swelling, if I immediately wash the place with water and soap.
I'm not even sure if the allergy is to cats - it might be to dust,
and the scratch is simply a way to get it under the skin. I have no
reaction to bites or fur, for example.

Bill Graham
December 6th 09, 07:55 AM
"Dragoman" > wrote in message
...
> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>> "Dragoman" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Yes. When I got my B-K home (from the Burger King parking lot) .....I
>>>> have tried getting him to switch to wet food, but he doesn't seem to
>>>> like it. He does catch himself mice, moles, lizards and birds from time
>>>> to time, so perhaps he is getting enough fresh food to keep himself
>>>> healthy......
>>>
>>> Moles? You probably meant voles. I can't even imagine how a cat
>>> would catch moles - not that they'll be running too fast, but still...
>>> :)
>>
>> No. I meant moles. B-K catches voles too, but my next door neighbor keeps
>> a nice lawn, and the moles destroy it with their tracks....B-K lies in
>> wait for them to emerge, and pounces on them.....The neighbor loves him.
>> He is allergic to cats, but B-K is his buddy.....:^)
>
> Wow! B-K is one cool cat. Does he clean the dirt before eating the
> mole? :)
> Speaking of allergies, I have a strange slight allergy to cats (which
> doesn't prevent me from having and playing with them). It manifests as
> follows - if I get a scratch that penetrates the skin, the place swells
> temporarily as from a mosquito bite. I usually can prevent it from
> swelling, if I immediately wash the place with water and soap.
> I'm not even sure if the allergy is to cats - it might be to dust, and
> the scratch is simply a way to get it under the skin. I have no reaction
> to bites or fur, for example.

Me too.....I have the same symptoms to cat scratches that you do. It's not
bad enough for me to consider not keeping cats, though.....(I just love the
little beasties) But different people can be very allergic to cats.....My
wife's granddaughter's husband is so allergic that he can't even come inside
a house that has had any cat in it. His face swells up like a basket ball.
The next door neighbor sneezes and swells up a bit too, but he likes B-K so
much that he puts up with it. (some cats have a personality that just can't
be denied)

Kelly Greene
December 9th 09, 06:17 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
...
On Nov 23, 6:58 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:

> I bought the grain free Wellness dry food, but they will not eat it even
> when mixed with wet food. When the last of the Purina is gone - that's it
> for dry cat food in this house. By then Zephyr will be on canned 100%. She
> didn't seem to notice her meals were becoming more and more canned
> although
> occasionally she refused to eat and skipped a meal. She'd sit by the
> cabinet where the cat food is kept in the kitchen, and meow. By the next
> meal time she dove into the canned food. :-)

When you're hungry enough, anything tastes good. :-)

FirstHit
~~~~~~

She's on all canned now. :-) They get three meals a day and a few kibbles
each as a treat. Most of the Purina and Wellness will be fed to the poor
frightened black tomcat now living under our outbuilding. Yep... another cat
was dumped out here. :*(

Kelly Greene
December 9th 09, 06:21 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...
>
> Now I'm worried because she's actually eating well.. go figure. It's not
> that she is, but that the change from "eating like a bird" to cleaning her
> plate was kind of sudden. And started, of course, the day after I made an
> appointment to the vet to discuss her skinniness and what to do :)
>

These two kitties are also on the thin side which I plan to discuss with my
vet
the next time we see her. They were wormed and new fecals came back negative
so
I don't think worms are the problem. They have NO fleas or ear mites. Their
coats
are glossy and both are very active so I may be concerned for nothing.
Since losing
Luckycat last month I'm a little paranoid about these two.