PDA

View Full Version : Re: In need of advice


Matthew[_3_]
November 20th 09, 11:16 PM
Hi Anthony, I am sorry you are going through this.

Yes vets add a huge mark up for it.

Nothing wrong with ordering from somewhere else. The vets best interest
should be the pet. If the vet refuses to give a prescription so you can
order if offline. Find another vet that will.

My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get it
online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands but
he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want extra. I
understand this he is in business.


I am going to add another newsgroup for a reply from others. This is a low
activity group
rec.pets.cats.health+behav has plenty of knowledgeable people




> wrote in message
...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am a first time poster to this group and I am in need of some advice
> about my cat. Here is a basic summary. My sweet (sometimes) little cat
> bandit is approximately 18 years old and has been very healthy for her
> whole life. Recently she began throwing up and sleeping constantly..
> We took her in for blood work and it turns out that she is suffering
> from kidney failure along with anemia.
>
> According to the vet, the biggest problem is her anemia. I have been
> researching a drug called Epogen and I spoke with the vet about it
> this morning. What I am wondering about is this. He quoted me a price
> of 80 dollars for a small bottle of Epogen. On pet medicine web sites
> they offer it for as low as 35 dollars a bottle. Is my vet adding a
> huge mark-up to this or is there something I am not understanding.
> Would it be considered bad ettiquette to order the medicine rather
> than buy it from him..
>
> If anyone has any advice about renal failure, anemia, life quality
> etc, I'd love to hear your thoughts. She doesn't seem to be in any
> discomfort, but it can be tricky to tell with cats:(
>
> Thank you, Anthony

Kelly Greene
November 20th 09, 11:50 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
>
> My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get
> it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands
> but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want extra.
> I understand this he is in business.


Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.

Matthew[_3_]
November 21st 09, 01:37 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
...
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>
>> My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I get
>> it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He understands
>> but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that I want
>> extra. I understand this he is in business.
>
>
> Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.


We talked about that before ;-) Wal-Mart does not carry what he takes

Kelly Greene
November 21st 09, 05:01 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...
>
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> ...
>>
>> "Matthew" > wrote in message
>> g.com...
>>>
>>> My vet charges $30 for a 30day supply of my cat's hyperthyroidism. I
>>> get it online for a 100 day supply for $30. I told him this. He
>>> understands but he does charge me for the office visit and anything that
>>> I want extra. I understand this he is in business.
>>
>>
>> Try Wal*Mart. I get a 90 day supply of thyroid meds for $8.
>
>
> We talked about that before ;-) Wal-Mart does not carry what he takes

Forgive my senior moments. :-)