PDA

View Full Version : Renal failure?

Kelly Greene
November 22nd 09, 12:17 AM
In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
why it's becoming so common?

Buddy's Mom
November 22nd 09, 12:33 PM
My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Cats normally do not drink a lot of water. My 3 cats after the one
that died of renal failure ate nothing but canned Fancy Feast and had
no problems with their kidneys.

Cats eating canned food have a less smelly urine also.

My last cat had to be put to sleep at age 20 years 3 months - he was
suffering from hyperthyroidism that was diagnosed too late.

cybercat
November 22nd 09, 08:16 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
> age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.

dgk
November 23rd 09, 02:59 PM
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:16:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>> My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
>> age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.
>>

>Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
>they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
>cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
>was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
>not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.

Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.

jmc
November 24th 09, 01:36 AM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/23/2009 8:59 AM):
> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:16:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
>>> My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
>>> age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.
>>>
>> Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
>> they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
>> cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
>> was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
>> not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.
>>

> Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
> some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
> though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
> water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.

Ive found as long as you give them some dry, they'll always hope for
more dry. I've finally got Meep completely off dry and at the moment
she's eating all her food, and starting (finally) to put on a little
weight. I might give her maybe 5 or 6 pieces on her canned food when
she doesn't want to eat it. She seems to understand that's all she's
getting, and will often then just keep eating after those 6 pieces are gone.

jmc

Kelly Greene
November 24th 09, 03:31 AM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> My thoughts on this, after losing our first cat to renal failure at
> age 16 back in 1979, is dry food.

The more I read online, the more I tend to agree.

> Cats normally do not drink a lot of water. My 3 cats after the one
> that died of renal failure ate nothing but canned Fancy Feast and had
> no problems with their kidneys.

I would love to know the difference in the incidence of RF between those on
dry and those on a decent canned food. I can't find any statistics.

> Cats eating canned food have a less smelly urine also.
>
> My last cat had to be put to sleep at age 20 years 3 months - he was
> suffering from hyperthyroidism that was diagnosed too late.

20 years is a good long life for a cat. On a memorial site I visited
recently many if not most died between 10 and 15 yrs old.

Kelly Greene
November 24th 09, 03:39 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/23/2009 8:59 AM):
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:16:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD
>>> dry--but they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good
>>> health. That cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped
>>> when she died, and was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her
>>> entire life. Most cats are not that lucky. hell, most people aren't
>>> either.
>>
>> Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
>> some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
>> though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
>> water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.
>
> Ive found as long as you give them some dry, they'll always hope for more
> dry. I've finally got Meep completely off dry and at the moment she's
> eating all her food, and starting (finally) to put on a little weight. I
> might give her maybe 5 or 6 pieces on her canned food when she doesn't
> want to eat it. She seems to understand that's all she's getting, and
> will often then just keep eating after those 6 pieces are gone.
>
> jmc

Fortunately little Phaedra doesn't eat dry food. She didn't seem to know
what it was. :-) She'll eat almost anything. Getting Zephyr to eat canned
is touch and go. She may skip a meal if it's canned but then later will eat
it when she realizes it's all she's going to get. I still mix a small
amount of dry with it but that will be phased out.

dgk
November 24th 09, 03:27 PM
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 19:36:38 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/23/2009 8:59 AM):
>> On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:16:33 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> Yes. Some cats do fine on it--I had one who lived to be 18-20 on SD dry--but
>>> they are the "bulletproof" cats genetically disposed to good health. That
>>> cat had every tooth in her head and only one was chipped when she died, and
>>> was only sick when she ate houseplants, for her entire life. Most cats are
>>> not that lucky. hell, most people aren't either.
>>>

>> Espy still really likes dry food (Royal Canin #26 I think). He eats
>> some of his wet stuff but then stares at me, demanding some RC. Even
>> though the vet said no dry food, I usually give him a little but I put
>> water on it so he can't avoid taking in the water with it.
>
>Ive found as long as you give them some dry, they'll always hope for
>more dry. I've finally got Meep completely off dry and at the moment
>she's eating all her food, and starting (finally) to put on a little
>weight. I might give her maybe 5 or 6 pieces on her canned food when
>she doesn't want to eat it. She seems to understand that's all she's
>getting, and will often then just keep eating after those 6 pieces are gone.
>
>jmc

And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.

cybercat
November 24th 09, 08:38 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
> The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
> though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
> cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
> sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
> concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
> treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
> So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.

This is so funny. Gracie gets free fed dry because she is just not that
interested in food, often leaves her canned half-eaten, and she tips the
scales at 7 lbs 4 oz as of the vet visit yesterday. She could get into
trouble quick if she stopped eating for some reason.

jmc
November 25th 09, 04:18 AM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (11/24/2009 9:27 AM):

> And Espy is VERY good at staring at me. He does that for two things.
> The first is some dry food. He does eat a lot of the wet stuff first
> though. The second is when he wants a few Temptations. I have severely
> cut back on those since his urinary blockage. It's so funny though. He
> sits tall and stares at me, and sort of squints, like he's
> concentrating really hard. And I start to hear "treats, treats,
> treats.." in my head. Then he starts making pathetic mewling noises.
> So I break two Temptations in half and it's like he got four.

Meep does the mind control thing to get me to pet her, when I don't want
to. I also used to dream about her, then wake up to find her staring at
me. That was a bit creepy.

jmc

November 26th 09, 12:49 PM
On Nov 21, 3:17*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. *Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?

Melomine in the Chinese wheat. That's what killed my cat 3 days after
her bloodwork showed normal kidney values. She was being retested for
anemia. She died shortly before the tainted pet food hit the news, so
we didn't know what happened at the time. It was just so sudden. Had
she not been sick already, it may not have killed her. Of course, had
she not been sick, I would not have been trying a variety of new foods
to get her to eat, several of which came up later on the tainted food
list. Her normal food did not have wheat gluten in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if any many cats who did not get sick, got
some limited amount of damage. And considering the lack of
repercussions, I would not be surprised if the wheat gluten is still
tainted, just at a lower level.

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
December 1st 09, 08:53 AM
On Nov 21, 6:17*pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. *Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?

That's because vet bills have gone up astronomically. What do you
think... that people just want to dump their beloved pets? I told
everyone when ‘pet health insurance’ first came along that this would
happen. Now the *******s are raping their clientele AND the insurance
companies to boot. Just like the dentists did. Same thing.
Next it’ll be a crime not to mortgage your home to get your pet
treated. You’ll be guilty of 2nd degree murder. As you should. I’ll
gladly pay more tax dollars to hire more police to do the
investigations. More judges and jails, too. No probleemo.

The Nice Mean Man

Kelly Greene
December 9th 09, 06:07 AM
> wrote in message
On Nov 21, 3:17 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?

Melomine in the Chinese wheat. That's what killed my cat 3 days after
her bloodwork showed normal kidney values. She was being retested for
anemia. She died shortly before the tainted pet food hit the news, so
we didn't know what happened at the time. It was just so sudden. Had
she not been sick already, it may not have killed her. Of course, had
she not been sick, I would not have been trying a variety of new foods
to get her to eat, several of which came up later on the tainted food
list. Her normal food did not have wheat gluten in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if any many cats who did not get sick, got
some limited amount of damage. And considering the lack of
repercussions, I would not be surprised if the wheat gluten is still
tainted, just at a lower level.

~~~~~~~~~~~

And we can only guess what will happen in the future to those cats and dogs
who suffered minimal damage at the time. :-(

Kelly Greene
December 9th 09, 06:14 AM
"The Nice Mean Man" > wrote in message
On Nov 21, 6:17 pm, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?

That's because vet bills have gone up astronomically. What do you
think...

:: I think there's some reason renal failure is increasing and in younger
animals, vet costs aside.

that people just want to dump their beloved pets?

:: That thought never occurred to me. But now that you mention it, many
people are unemployed and perhaps can't afford vet bills for chronically
sick pets.

I told
everyone when ‘pet health insurance’ first came along that this would
happen. Now the *******s are raping their clientele AND the insurance
companies to boot.

:: When that happens the Ins Co's raise their rates. :(

Just like the dentists did. Same thing.
Next it’ll be a crime not to mortgage your home to get your pet
treated. You’ll be guilty of 2nd degree murder.

:: A few people on these groups feel people should do just that for a sick
pet. If you don't, they'll call you an idiot. Some feel any amount of debt
should be incurred for vet bills. Over my lifetime I have seen people go
into deep debt to save a pet. The outcomes were not good, causing a divorce
in one case - and the animal died a few months later.

As you should. I’ll
gladly pay more tax dollars to hire more police to do the
investigations. More judges and jails, too. No probleemo.

:: :-D

The Nice Mean Man