PDA

View Full Version : Renal failure in younger cats

Kelly Greene
November 22nd 09, 05:45 AM
In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
why it's becoming so common?

Bill Graham
November 23rd 09, 05:52 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?
I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the food. Cheap, poorly
made food, probably imported from China (or someplace similar) and with no
inspection by our government agency that is supposed to be doing things like
that, but is really just wasting the taxpayers money. If you really care
about your cats (and other pets) you should feed them fresh fish and chicken
and avoid canned "pet food". I have been told that there is a vitamin that
cats need, but I bet you can buy it separately and add it to fresh meats for
your cat. I try to feed my cats the same food that I eat myself. - At least
the meat and milk. I figure that if it doesn't hurt my kidneys, it probably
won't hurt theirs.

Kelly Green
November 30th 09, 05:06 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number
>> of cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
>> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
>> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
>> why it's becoming so common?

> I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the food. Cheap, poorly
> made food, probably imported from China (or someplace similar) and with no
> inspection by our government agency that is supposed to be doing things
> like that, but is really just wasting the taxpayers money. If you really
> care about your cats (and other pets) you should feed them fresh fish and
> chicken and avoid canned "pet food". I have been told that there is a
> vitamin that cats need, but I bet you can buy it separately and add it to
> fresh meats for your cat. I try to feed my cats the same food that I eat
> myself. - At least the meat and milk. I figure that if it doesn't hurt my
> kidneys, it probably won't hurt theirs.

I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they eat
the entire carcass.

Bill Graham
November 30th 09, 06:44 AM
"Kelly Green" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>>> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number
>>> of cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in
>>> an animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I
>>> see people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any
>>> idea why it's becoming so common?
>
>> I don't know, but if I had to guess, it would be the food. Cheap, poorly
>> made food, probably imported from China (or someplace similar) and with
>> no inspection by our government agency that is supposed to be doing
>> things like that, but is really just wasting the taxpayers money. If you
>> really care about your cats (and other pets) you should feed them fresh
>> fish and chicken and avoid canned "pet food". I have been told that there
>> is a vitamin that cats need, but I bet you can buy it separately and add
>> it to fresh meats for your cat. I try to feed my cats the same food that
>> I eat myself. - At least the meat and milk. I figure that if it doesn't
>> hurt my kidneys, it probably won't hurt theirs.
>
> I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
> Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
> eat the entire carcass.
Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats anything
else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted chicken....

Cats Whiskers
December 2nd 09, 03:29 AM
Cats can get into poison set out for rats and moes. This will cause renal
failure. Cats or dogs can get heartworm and if they are going down hill it
is part of the dying process. I read that the food cats and dogs get in the
stores are not so good for them as they say it is and can cause cancers and
etc. Again, if the cat gets cancer, renal failure is part of the dying
process. They are saying to make your pet's food and add vitamins and
suppliments. If the food is not good, do you think the vitamins and
suppliments are going to be any better? Will they be derived from anything
different than the food is derived from? Then, don't forget the
insectacides and pesticides can affect an outdoor cat who is in the
environment containing these things. This can be a cause of young cats
dying prematurly and renal failure. There is a number of speculations out
there.

"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number of
> cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
> why it's becoming so common?

Bill Graham
December 2nd 09, 07:47 AM
"Cats Whiskers" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>>> I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
>>> Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
>>> eat the entire carcass.
>> Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
>> cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
>> might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
>> anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted
>> chicken....
> What about the bones. One could get stuck in their throat or intestines.
> Not good.
You have to be careful to not feed your dog chicken bones. Dogs tend to wolf
food down, and small sharp things like chicken bones can do them harm. but
cats are much more careful about what they eat, and chicken bones won't hurt
them at all.....After all, they eat fish, and other small animals like birds
and mice, and they don't get harmed by this. We don't feed our cat chicken
bones intentionally, but if we do, they will leave the bones in their dish
uneaten. It's just in a cats nature to be a fastidious eater.

Spider[_3_]
December 2nd 09, 05:49 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Cats Whiskers" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
>>> cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
>>> might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
>>> anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him
>>> roasted chicken....
>> What about the bones. One could get stuck in their throat or intestines.
>> Not good.
> You have to be careful to not feed your dog chicken bones. Dogs tend to
> wolf food down, and small sharp things like chicken bones can do them
> harm. but cats are much more careful about what they eat, and chicken
> bones won't hurt them at all.....After all, they eat fish, and other small
> animals like birds and mice, and they don't get harmed by this. We don't
> feed our cat chicken bones intentionally, but if we do, they will leave
> the bones in their dish uneaten. It's just in a cats nature to be a
> fastidious eater.

It's worth noting that wild-caught boney food is very different to cooked
offerings from humans. Once bones are cooked, they tend to become hard and
brittle, whereas uncooked bones are more bendy and much less brittle. Take
the average fox and his stolen chicken from the hen house, for instance:
he's perfectly able to cope with it. The domestic dog, however, (which is
very closely related) mustn't eat chicken bones simply because they've been
cooked and become brittle. This means they can splinter and tear the dogs
throat and, especially, its stomach. Cats, should avoid fish bones, though.
Very few cats naturally eat fish (too much trouble for the lazy 'baskets'!)
so bones and even large scales can catch in the cat's throat.

Spider

Kelly Green[_3_]
December 9th 09, 05:32 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Green" > wrote in message
>>
>> I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
>> Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
>> eat the entire carcass.

> Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
> cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
> might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
> anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted
> chicken....

My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet since
it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get the entire
chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy mice at the pet
shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do that.

Kelly Green[_3_]
December 9th 09, 05:40 AM
It's really a shame. These two new shelter kitties we got last month will be
house cats only. There are too many dangers out there to let them roam free
even though we live out in the country.

I wonder how much the unnatural grain rich dry kibble foods they're being
fed has to do with the obesity, diabetes and kidney failure rate in cats
these days?!?!?!?! From what I'm reading about these foods, they're better
suited to horses and cows than to obligate carnivores. :-\

"Cats Whiskers" > wrote in message
. ..
> Cats can get into poison set out for rats and moes. This will cause renal
> failure. Cats or dogs can get heartworm and if they are going down hill
> it is part of the dying process. I read that the food cats and dogs get
> in the stores are not so good for them as they say it is and can cause
> cancers and etc. Again, if the cat gets cancer, renal failure is part of
> the dying process. They are saying to make your pet's food and add
> vitamins and suppliments. If the food is not good, do you think the
> vitamins and suppliments are going to be any better? Will they be derived
> from anything different than the food is derived from? Then, don't forget
> the insectacides and pesticides can affect an outdoor cat who is in the
> environment containing these things. This can be a cause of young cats
> dying prematurly and renal failure. There is a number of speculations out
> there.
>

> "Kelly Greene" > wrote in message
>> In searching around the web and looking at a cat memorial... the number
>> of cats dying of renal failure is shocking. Years ago when I worked in an
>> animal hospital in the city, this was a disease of old cats. Now I see
>> people losing much younger animals to this disease. Anyone have any idea
>> why it's becoming so common?

Bill Graham
December 9th 09, 09:49 PM
"Kelly Green" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Green" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I know the vitamin you mean but don't know where it can be bought.
>>> Duplicating a cats natural diet with raw meat would be difficult as they
>>> eat the entire carcass.
>
>> Yes.....I don't feed them raw meat.....It's usually at least partially
>> cooked.....But chicken is cheap. Sometimes cheaper than cat food. So you
>> might as well feed it to them. We have a feral male who seldom eats
>> anything else. I first attracted him into my house by feeding him roasted
>> chicken....
>
> My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet
> since it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get
> the entire chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy mice
> at the pet shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do that.
I couldn't either, but I now kind of wish I had bought a small chicken farm
when I first retired and moved up here to Oregon. By now, I would probably
have like 100 cats instead of 5......

Kelly Greene
December 16th 09, 08:12 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kelly Green" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet
>> since it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get
>> the entire chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy mice
>> at the pet shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do that.

> I couldn't either, but I now kind of wish I had bought a small chicken
> farm when I first retired and moved up here to Oregon. By now, I would
> probably have like 100 cats instead of 5......

We just had another cat enter our family. :-\ He was a dump-off and had a
gruesome injury to his thigh. I brought him home from the vet this
afternoon. If we can keep the (debrided) injury sutured, drained, and it
doesn't get infected, he should be OK. :-) He was also "fixed" while under
anesthesia for the injury. I hope his urine starts to smell better
soon........ : *gasp!*

Bill Graham
December 17th 09, 12:47 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kelly Green" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>>>
>>> My cats do get cooked chicken once a week but it's not a balanced diet
>>> since it doesn't contain the entrails which cats eat in nature. To get
>>> the entire chicken carcass one must raise their own chickens (or buy
>>> mice at the pet shops) and be willing to slaughter them. I couldn't do
>>> that.
>
>> I couldn't either, but I now kind of wish I had bought a small chicken
>> farm when I first retired and moved up here to Oregon. By now, I would
>> probably have like 100 cats instead of 5......
>
> We just had another cat enter our family. :-\ He was a dump-off and had
> a gruesome injury to his thigh. I brought him home from the vet this
> afternoon. If we can keep the (debrided) injury sutured, drained, and it
> doesn't get infected, he should be OK. :-) He was also "fixed" while
> under anesthesia for the injury. I hope his urine starts to smell better
> soon........ : *gasp!*
When we go to Petsmart, or to our local Saturday market, my wife likes to go
and look at the cats they have for sale/adoption. I can't do that.....It
pains me too much to see those poor creatures waiting in cages, hoping for
someone to buy & adopt them......I can't even watch those TV commercials
advertising for funds to save/feed mistreated cats and other animals. If I
could, I would keep hundreds of cats, but there would still be thousands
more that would have to die....I think it is high time I cashed in my own
chips. The older I get, the more disgusted I am with this world.