PDA

View Full Version : Kitten with Terrible Odor

Sherry
November 29th 09, 06:19 AM
First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.

History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
six months old. She was thin, but no
apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
homed as an indoor cat.

She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
of it is coming
from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
young to have tooth decay anyway.

The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.

On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
cat.

So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
smelled really bad?

Thanks
Sherry

cyberpurrs
November 29th 09, 06:50 AM
"Sherry" > wrote

> So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> smelled really bad?

Sherry, nice to see you posting!

The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth. Please
let us know what the vet says.

Sherry
November 29th 09, 07:05 AM
On Nov 28, 11:50*pm, "cyberpurrs" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>

> > So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> > smelled really bad?
>
> Sherry, nice to see you posting!
>
> The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
> and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth. Please
> let us know what the vet says.

Thanks!
I really hope so too. I think it would be unusual for a 6 month old
kitten to have a
bad tooth, but surely it is possible. Especially a stray whose
background I have
no idea about. Wouldn't you think cancer would likewise be unusual in
a kitten?
And why do we always notice stuff like this on the first day of a 4-
day holiday
weekend?
She's a really affectionate little thing. She is just adorable. And
her housecat manners
are very nice, for a kitten. She learns quickly. I have about given up
on finding her a home.
We had to have Yoda put down, so it's not like I don't have space for
her. She showed up
*in the garage* nearly the same night we lost Yoda. And started
climbing the screen door,
like she thought she belonged in the house.
Sherry

Matthew[_3_]
November 29th 09, 06:01 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
> First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
> soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
> whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.
>
> History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
> six months old. She was thin, but no
> apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
> her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
> that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
> homed as an indoor cat.
>
> She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
> sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
> of it is coming
> from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
> young to have tooth decay anyway.
>
> The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
> like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
> FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
> necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
> awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.
>
> On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
> and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
> really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
> 6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
> the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
> but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
> off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
> cat.
>
> So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> smelled really bad?
>
> Thanks
> Sherry

Sherry I see cyber and the others in the other group said about the mouth.
From what I remember it could be an infection. Gum or teeth problems.
I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems

cybercat
November 29th 09, 06:44 PM
"Sherry" > wrote
>> The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
>> and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth.
>> Please
>> let us know what the vet says.

>Thanks! I really hope so too. I think it would be unusual for a 6 month old
>kitten to have a bad tooth, but surely it is possible. Especially a stray
>whose
>background I have no idea about.

It does seem unlikely she would have a bad tooth from something like decay,
but perhaps as Matthew said, an abscess or infection? I forgot about the
kidney symptom. She sounds lovely, hope she is okay.

>Wouldn't you think cancer would likewise be unusual in a kitten?

I have never heard of cancer in a kitten, though I am sure it happens, but
very rarely.

>And why do we always notice stuff like this on the first day of a 4-day
>holiday
>weekend?

I hear you! Part of Murphy's Law, no doubt. :)

>She's a really affectionate little thing. She is just adorable. And her
>housecat manners
>are very nice, for a kitten. She learns quickly. I have about given up on
>finding her a >home.

Oh, Sherry, I think she may be the luckiest kitten ever, then. If you take
her she certainly will be.

>We had to have Yoda put down, so it's not like I don't have space for her.

I am so sorry you had to let Yoda go. He lived to be very old didn't he? How
is Biscuit?

>She showed up *in the garage* nearly the same night we lost Yoda. And
>started
>climbing the screen door, like she thought she belonged in the house.

Probably because she belongs in the house. ;) You know there is no such
thing as coincidence in these matters.

Sherry
November 30th 09, 05:42 AM
On Nov 29, 11:44*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> >> The only time we had a cat with a terrible mouth odor she had oral cancer
> >> and she was NOT a kitten. Hope the little one just has a bad tooth.
> >> Please
> >> let us know what the vet says.
> >Thanks! I really hope so too. I think it would be unusual for a 6 month old
> >kitten to have a bad tooth, but surely it is possible. Especially a stray
> >whose
> >background I have no idea about.
>
> It does seem unlikely she would have a bad tooth from something like decay,
> but perhaps as Matthew said, an *abscess or infection? I forgot about the
> kidney symptom. She sounds lovely, hope she is okay.
>
> >Wouldn't you think cancer would likewise be unusual in a kitten?
>
> I have never heard of cancer in a kitten, though I am sure it happens, but
> very rarely.
>
> >And why do we always notice stuff like this on the first day of a 4-day
> >holiday
> >weekend?
>
> I hear you! Part of Murphy's Law, no doubt. :)
>
> >She's a really affectionate little thing. She is just adorable. And her
> >housecat manners
> >are very nice, for a kitten. She learns quickly. I have about given up on
> >finding her a >home.
>
> Oh, Sherry, I think she may be the luckiest kitten ever, then. If you take
> her she certainly will be.
>
> >We had to have Yoda put down, so it's not like I don't have space for her.

Sherry
November 30th 09, 05:45 AM
On Nov 29, 11:01*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message

> > First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
> > soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
> > whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.
>
> > History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
> > six months old. She was thin, but no
> > apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
> > her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
> > that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
> > homed as an indoor cat.
>
> > She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
> > sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
> > of it is coming
> > from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
> > young to have tooth decay anyway.
>
> > The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
> > like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
> > FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
> > necrotic fluid. *I can really think up some
> > awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.
>
> > On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
> > and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
> > really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
> > 6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
> > the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
> > but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
> > off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
> > cat.
>
> > So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> > smelled really bad?
>
> > Thanks
> > Sherry
>
> Sherry * I see cyber and the others in the other group said about the mouth.
> From what I remember *it could be an infection. *Gum or teeth problems.
> I also remember a bad body odor means Kidney problems- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Matthew. I don't think it's her teeth. But I have wondered if
she has a
mouth ulcer/abscess. They smell really bad too. I didn't know that
about Kidney
problems manifesting a body odor.

Sherry

Old Geezer
November 30th 09, 04:09 PM
Sherry wrote:
> First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
> soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
> whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.
>
> History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
> six months old. She was thin, but no
> apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
> her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
> that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
> homed as an indoor cat.
>
> She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
> sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
> of it is coming
> from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
> young to have tooth decay anyway.
>
> The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
> like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
> FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
> necrotic fluid. I can really think up some
> awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.
>
> On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
> and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
> really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
> 6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
> the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
> but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
> off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
> cat.
>
> So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> smelled really bad?
>
> Thanks
> Sherry
I have a female cat that adopted me when she was several years old
that had terrible breath. After getting her teeth cleaned at the
vet her breath is a lot better, but every few months I brush her
teeth with cat toothpaste and she is good to go. She's been my cat
now for seven years. She's a really good cat.

Old Geezer

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
December 1st 09, 08:41 AM
On Nov 29, 12:19*am, Sherry > wrote:
> First, please don't tell me to "see a vet'', because I'm going to as
> soon as it can be scheduled on Monday. I'm basically just asking
> whether anyone else has had a cat with this problem.
>
> History: She strayed up here probably 5 or 6 weeks ago. She's around
> six months old. She was thin, but no
> apparent health issues, no goopy eyes, etc. I got her spayed and got
> her shots and have intended to find her a home, but you all know how
> that goes. Not easy, because she *hates* the outdoors and must be
> homed as an indoor cat.
>
> She's very playful. She eats well. Her coat looks good. Her little
> sides have filled out nicely. But, she has this *horrible* odor. Most
> of it is coming
> from her mouth. Her teeth look great, to me; and IMO she's a little
> young to have tooth decay anyway.
>
> The odor really smells like what I would think necrotic tissue smells
> like. Now I'm worried she's infected with
> FIP or something equally awful, and her chest cavity is full of
> necrotic fluid. *I can really think up some
> awful diagnoses when I set my mind to it.
>
> On the other hand, I'm hopeful the smell is the result of a poor diet
> and starvation before I got her. But I suspect,
> really, that good food and good care would have taken care of that in
> 6 weeks time already. I'm also assuming
> the ELISA test for FeLV was negative, since she was vaccinated for it,
> but I didn't think to ask. I just dropped her
> off for the vetting and picked her back up. This ain't my first stray
> cat.
>
> So, back to the original question, have any of you ever had a cat that
> smelled really bad?
>
> Thanks
> Sherry

Why don;t you just give him a bath? You'd stink too if you never got
any.

The Nice Mean Man

FirstHit
December 6th 09, 11:17 PM
On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Sherry > wrote:

> Oh, Cheryl. Jackie is *exactly* the reason I am obsessing over this.
> There are
> a lot of similarities. Surely this would not happen to me *twice*.
> Good Vet took
> off for the holiday and won't be back to work until Wednesday.
> Mediocre Vet
> is covering patients for him. I'm waiting until Wednesday.
>
> Sherry

How's the kitty doing? Were you able to find out what's causing the
odor? I hope things are looking up for her.

FirstHit

MLB[_2_]
December 6th 09, 11:28 PM
FirstHit wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Sherry > wrote:
>
>> Oh, Cheryl. Jackie is *exactly* the reason I am obsessing over this.
>> There are
>> a lot of similarities. Surely this would not happen to me *twice*.
>> Good Vet took
>> off for the holiday and won't be back to work until Wednesday.
>> Mediocre Vet
>> is covering patients for him. I'm waiting until Wednesday.
>>
>> Sherry
>
> How's the kitty doing? Were you able to find out what's causing the
> odor? I hope things are looking up for her.
>
> FirstHit

A message was posted on RPCA on Dec 5 that it was an abscess in kitty's
throat that apparently had ruptured. She said the cat felt better that
day. I hope we get another update. MLB

FirstHit
December 7th 09, 05:33 AM
On Dec 6, 2:28*pm, MLB > wrote:
> FirstHit wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Sherry > wrote:
>
> >> Oh, Cheryl. Jackie is *exactly* the reason I am obsessing over this.
> >> There are
> >> a lot of similarities. Surely this would not happen to me *twice*.
> >> Good Vet took
> >> off for the holiday and won't be back to work until Wednesday.
> >> Mediocre Vet
> >> is covering patients for him. I'm waiting until Wednesday.
>
> >> Sherry
>
> > How's the kitty doing? *Were you able to find out what's causing the
> > odor? *I hope things are looking up for her.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> A message was posted on RPCA on Dec 5 that it was an abscess in kitty's
> throat that apparently had ruptured. *She said the cat felt better that
> day. *I hope we get another update. *MLB

Thank you! I'm glad it wasn't something more serious.

FirstHit

Sherry
December 7th 09, 06:05 AM
On Dec 6, 4:28*pm, MLB > wrote:
> FirstHit wrote:
> > On Nov 30, 9:11 pm, Sherry > wrote:
>
> >> Oh, Cheryl. Jackie is *exactly* the reason I am obsessing over this.
> >> There are
> >> a lot of similarities. Surely this would not happen to me *twice*.
> >> Good Vet took
> >> off for the holiday and won't be back to work until Wednesday.
> >> Mediocre Vet
> >> is covering patients for him. I'm waiting until Wednesday.
>
> >> Sherry
>
> > How's the kitty doing? *Were you able to find out what's causing the
> > odor? *I hope things are looking up for her.
>
> > FirstHit
>
> A message was posted on RPCA on Dec 5 that it was an abscess in kitty's
> throat that apparently had ruptured. *She said the cat felt better that
> day. *I hope we get another update. *MLB- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, MLB; and apologies for failing to update. The vet theorized
she had a thorn imbedded
in her throat that caused the abscess in first place; but he didn't
actually *see* an object. It
sounds plausible to me because stickers (grass burrs) are a terrible
problem here and cats
tend to pull them out of their paws/coats with their teeth. I am
guessing the abscess itself
drained the day I posted, because she smelled so vile that night. Next
day it seemed better.
Third day, it was even less noticeable.
She was also wormy, which could have contributed to the funk I
suppose.
The odd thing is she never seemed to have a problem eating. She did
have a soft little "cough cough" occasionally, but it was a dry cough
and I thought it was a hairball deal. Haven't
noticed her coughing since Friday.

Apologies again for not updating; FirstHit: IME crossposting never
works out for me. In theory
it's a good idea; and works out fine as long as the topic stays on the
original post. But threads
tend to meander, and people always get hacked off about it. Doesn't
bother ME for anyone else
to crosspost. I'm just walking the tightrope across the shark
tank. :-)

Sherry

FirstHit
December 7th 09, 07:10 AM
On Dec 6, 9:05*pm, Sherry > wrote:
> On Dec 6, 4:28*pm, MLB > wrote:
>

> > FirstHit wrote:

> > > How's the kitty doing? *Were you able to find out what's causing the
> > > odor? *I hope things are looking up for her.
>
> > > FirstHit
>
> > A message was posted on RPCA on Dec 5 that it was an abscess in kitty's
> > throat that apparently had ruptured. *She said the cat felt better that
> > day. *I hope we get another update. *MLB- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks, MLB; and apologies for failing to update. The vet theorized
> she had a thorn imbedded
> in her throat that caused the abscess in first place; but he didn't
> actually *see* an object. It
> sounds plausible to me because stickers (grass burrs) are a terrible
> problem here and cats
> tend to pull them out of their paws/coats with their teeth. I am
> guessing the abscess itself
> drained the day I posted, because she smelled so vile that night. Next
> day it seemed better.
> Third day, it was even less noticeable.
> She was also wormy, which could have contributed to the funk I
> suppose.
> The odd thing is she never seemed to have a problem eating. She did
> have a soft little "cough cough" occasionally, but it was a dry cough
> and I thought it was a hairball deal. Haven't
> noticed her coughing since Friday.
>
> Apologies again for not updating; FirstHit: IME crossposting never
> works out for me. In theory
> it's a good idea; and works out fine as long as the topic stays on the
> original post. But threads
> tend to meander, and people always get hacked off about it. Doesn't
> bother ME for anyone else
> to crosspost. I'm just walking the tightrope across the shark
> tank. :-)

Thanks, Sherry.

Yeah, I see what you're saying about X-posting. Sometimes the
conversation drifts from the original topic to a topic that is
appropriate for one group but not the other. Then the "other" people
wonder why you are talking about the new topic.

FirstHit

cybercat
December 7th 09, 07:54 AM
"Sherry" > wrote
> A message was posted on RPCA on Dec 5 that it was an abscess in kitty's
> throat that apparently had ruptured. She said the cat felt better that
> day. I hope we get another update. MLB- Hide quoted text -

>Thanks, MLB; and apologies for failing to update. The vet theorized she had
>a thorn >imbedded in her throat that caused the abscess in first place;
>but he didn'tactually >*see* an object. It sounds plausible to me because
>stickers (grass burrs) are a terrible
>problem here and cats tend to pull them out of their paws/coats with their
>teeth. I am
>guessing the abscess itself drained the day I posted, because she smelled
>so vile that >night. Next day it seemed better. Third day, it was even less
>noticeable. She was also >wormy, which could have contributed to the funk I
>suppose. The odd thing is she >never seemed to have a problem eating. She
>did have a soft little "cough cough" >occasionally, but it was a dry cough
>and I thought it was a hairball deal. Haven't >noticed her coughing since
>Friday.

I'm so glad she is okay now!