PDA

View Full Version : herpes and "older" cat

YvonneD
December 1st 09, 02:08 AM
First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
to worry that I won't do that.

I think he may have herpes in his eye. The only symptom he has is
that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. Not tons, but
still not normal. Other than that he seems fine. The eye does not
seem to bother him. He is eating, drinking and acting normal.

The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. I know that
it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. I also know it is quite
contagious. She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
it is. He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
animals.

I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
cleaning my hands. Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
brought home.

I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
old. Is that older?

I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.

Thanks

cyberpurrs
December 1st 09, 02:20 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote
> I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
> in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
> old. Is that older?
>
> I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.

Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that it
loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
regular vet care.

Cheryl[_3_]
December 1st 09, 03:35 AM
"cyberpurrs" > wrote in message

> "YvonneD" > wrote
>> I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
>> in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
>> old. Is that older?
>>
>> I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.
>>

> Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
> right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that
> it loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
> regular vet care.
And it isn't normally very serious in older cats as long as they are healthy
otherwise. For cats who've had at least a few years of vaccinations they
should only get a mild case. Your nearly 10 year old should not be at risk
of death from it as long as you make sure he eats. If he is a heavy cat, it
is even more important to make sure you monitor his eating.

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
December 1st 09, 07:43 AM
On Nov 30, 9:08*pm, YvonneD > wrote:
> First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
> to worry that I won't do that.
>
> I think he may have herpes in his eye. *The only symptom he has is
> that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. *Not tons, but
> still not normal. *Other than that he seems fine. *The eye does not
> seem to bother him. *He is eating, drinking and acting normal.
>
> The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
> female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. *I know that
> it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. *I also know it is quite
> contagious. *She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
> but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
> it is. *He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
> animals.
>
> I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
> I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
> cleaning my hands. *Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
> brought home.
>
> I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
> in kittens and "older cats". *What is an older cat? *He is 9 1/2 years
> old. *Is that older?
>
> I'm nervous and hoped I could get *some more info tonight.
>
> Thanks

Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
know...

The Nice Mean Man

Dragoman
December 1st 09, 09:44 AM
The Nice Mean Man wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:08 pm, YvonneD > wrote:
>> First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
>> to worry that I won't do that.
>>
>> I think he may have herpes in his eye. The only symptom he has is
>> that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. Not tons, but
>> still not normal. Other than that he seems fine. The eye does not
>> seem to bother him. He is eating, drinking and acting normal.
>>
>> The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
>> female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. I know that
>> it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. I also know it is quite
>> contagious. She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
>> but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
>> it is. He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
>> animals.
>>
>> I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
>> I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
>> cleaning my hands. Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
>> brought home.
>>
>> I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
>> in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
>> old. Is that older?
>>
>> I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
> membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
> know...
>
> The Nice Mean Man

Don't spew nonsense, Blue Meanie! You're too mean to be nice, fake
spelling mistakes and all.
(Unless I'm reading too much in that spelling, and he really is
illiterate. But the mistakes make so much perverse sense!)

cybercat
December 1st 09, 04:13 PM
"Dragoman" > wrote in message
> The Nice Mean Man wrote:
>> On Nov 30, 9:08 pm, YvonneD > wrote:
>>> First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
>>> to worry that I won't do that.
>>>
>>> I think he may have herpes in his eye. The only symptom he has is
>>> that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. Not tons, but
>>> still not normal. Other than that he seems fine. The eye does not
>>> seem to bother him. He is eating, drinking and acting normal.
>>>
>>> The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
>>> female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. I know that
>>> it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. I also know it is quite
>>> contagious. She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
>>> but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
>>> it is. He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
>>> animals.
>>>
>>> I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
>>> I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
>>> cleaning my hands. Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
>>> brought home.
>>>
>>> I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
>>> in kittens and "older cats". What is an older cat? He is 9 1/2 years
>>> old. Is that older?
>>>
>>> I'm nervous and hoped I could get some more info tonight.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
>> membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
>> know...
>>
>> The Nice Mean Man
>
> Don't spew nonsense, Blue Meanie! You're too mean to be nice, fake

Precisely, Dragoman. I have this asshole kfed for this very reason. Herpes
is not transmitable between cats and humans or vice versa.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090831143937AAwrX1d

YvonneD
December 4th 09, 01:57 PM
On Dec 1, 2:43*am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:
> On Nov 30, 9:08*pm, YvonneD > wrote:
>

> > First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
> > to worry that I won't do that.
>
> > I think he may have herpes in his eye. *The only symptom he has is
> > that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. *Not tons, but
> > still not normal. *Other than that he seems fine. *The eye does not
> > seem to bother him. *He is eating, drinking and acting normal.
>
> > The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
> > female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. *I know that
> > it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. *I also know it is quite
> > contagious. *She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
> > but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
> > it is. *He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
> > animals.
>
> > I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
> > I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
> > cleaning my hands. *Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
> > brought home.
>
> > I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
> > in kittens and "older cats". *What is an older cat? *He is 9 1/2 years
> > old. *Is that older?
>
> > I'm nervous and hoped I could get *some more info tonight.
>
> > Thanks
>
> Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
> membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
> know...
>
> The Nice Mean Man

The vet said it can only be passed on to other cats, not humans or dogs

YvonneD
December 4th 09, 02:00 PM
On Nov 30, 9:20*pm, "cyberpurrs" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote
>
> > I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
> > in kittens and "older cats". *What is an older cat? *He is 9 1/2 years
> > old. *Is that older?
>
> > I'm nervous and hoped I could get *some more info tonight.
>
> Yvonne, it is so common, I think it is only serious if left untreated,
> right? The worst outcome is that a cat may have infection so severe that it
> loses an eye. I think that takes some neglect, and can be avoided with
> regular vet care.

Thanks. He's been on some ointment for a few days and it looks better
already. I have to do it for 10 days. He hates it, but he is so good
about it.

The vet said he didn't think he caught it from the other cat because
her's is not active. He thinks my cat may have had it dormant in his
system and the stress of a new cat in the house brought it out. Makes
sense.

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
December 8th 09, 02:34 AM
On Dec 4, 8:57*am, YvonneD > wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2:43*am, The Nice Mean Man > wrote:
>

> > On Nov 30, 9:08*pm, YvonneD > wrote:
>
> > > First of all, I am taking my cat to the vet in the morning, so no need
> > > to worry that I won't do that.
>
> > > I think he may have herpes in his eye. *The only symptom he has is
> > > that one eye has clear liquid, like tears, running out. *Not tons, but
> > > still not normal. *Other than that he seems fine. *The eye does not
> > > seem to bother him. *He is eating, drinking and acting normal.
>
> > > The reason I'm pretty sure it's herpes is I adopted a two year old
> > > female cat three weeks ago who has had herpes recently. *I know that
> > > it never goes away, but only becomes dormant. *I also know it is quite
> > > contagious. *She is not exhibiting any signs of it which puzzles me,
> > > but I still can't figure out where else he may have caught...whatever
> > > it is. *He never goes out and has never been in contact with any other
> > > animals.
>
> > > I work at an animal shelter (which is where I adopted my new cat), but
> > > I'm very careful to remove my clothes before coming into the house and
> > > cleaning my hands. *Hopefully he didn't get this from something I
> > > brought home.
>
> > > I've been reading about herpes and it says that it can be very serious
> > > in kittens and "older cats". *What is an older cat? *He is 9 1/2 years
> > > old. *Is that older?
>
> > > I'm nervous and hoped I could get *some more info tonight.
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > Bed very careful his leechings don't get into one of your own mucus
> > membrains. It can and has happened: the species jump and herpies, you
> > know...
>
> > The Nice Mean Man
>
> The vet said it can only be passed on to other cats, not humans or dogs- Hide quoted text -

He's lying.