PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Update!

cybercat
December 3rd 09, 04:02 PM
Little Bella has now been here one week and one day, and she is very happy,
energetic, and affectionate. When we brought her home she had one eye that
looked a little crusty, and that predictably blossomed into full-blown
herpes in both eyes and the sneezing (URI) that goes along with it.
Remembering what has been said here, and my last shelter cat, we got 500 mg
capsules of L Lysine last Friday and began giving her half of one twice a
day. Yesterday she woke up and could not even open one eye, and cried when
she tried, so I thought it was not helping. But today she woke up pretty
clear, just some crustiness around her eyes. We have been bathing her eye
area very gently with soft toilet paper soaked in cool water--just holding
her little head up and squeezing water from the tissue onto her closed eyes
a few times, then when the stuff is very soft wiping it away. She is very
patient and good. On a kitten this tiny I would not recommend trying to
remove the eye gunk without softening it.

The only other problem is, she has a little lump at her incision area, it
was larger and soft, is now smaller with a very hard, tiny pebble like thing
in it. It does not look infected and she never paws at it or grooms it as
though it hurts her. Nevertheless, she goes for her first vet visit Monday.

Still have not gotten good photos of her, but will put up what I have soon
as I can. She is a total doll. I love having a kitten. Gracie is tolerant
but whiny.

Patty Jo
December 3rd 09, 08:03 PM
I've always bathed crusty baby eyes with warm milk. Believe it or not,
it works great. As for that incision, is it from spaying? If so, the
lump is normal & it'll go away by itself. So happy for you! Enjoy that
little girl. They grow up so fast..pj

cybercat
December 3rd 09, 11:55 PM
"Patty Jo" > wrote in message
> I've always bathed crusty baby eyes with warm milk. Believe it or not,
> it works great. As for that incision, is it from spaying? If so, the
> lump is normal & it'll go away by itself. So happy for you! Enjoy that
> little girl. They grow up so fast..pj

Patty Jo, very helpful, thank you so much, I will try the warm milk. The
lump is from her spay incision--it really is normal? It's a very hard though
very small lump within a pea-sized softer one.

Mark Earnest
December 4th 09, 02:28 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Little Bella has now been here one week and one day, and she is very
> happy, energetic, and affectionate. When we brought her home she had one
> eye that looked a little crusty, and that predictably blossomed into
> full-blown herpes in both eyes and the sneezing (URI) that goes along with
> it. Remembering what has been said here, and my last shelter cat, we got
> 500 mg capsules of L Lysine last Friday and began giving her half of one
> twice a day. Yesterday she woke up and could not even open one eye, and
> cried when she tried, so I thought it was not helping. But today she woke
> up pretty clear, just some crustiness around her eyes. We have been
> bathing her eye area very gently with soft toilet paper soaked in cool
> water--just holding her little head up and squeezing water from the tissue
> onto her closed eyes a few times, then when the stuff is very soft wiping
> it away. She is very patient and good. On a kitten this tiny I would not
> recommend trying to remove the eye gunk without softening it.
>
> The only other problem is, she has a little lump at her incision area, it
> was larger and soft, is now smaller with a very hard, tiny pebble like
> thing in it. It does not look infected and she never paws at it or grooms
> it as though it hurts her. Nevertheless, she goes for her first vet visit
> Monday.
>
> Still have not gotten good photos of her, but will put up what I have soon
> as I can. She is a total doll. I love having a kitten. Gracie is tolerant
> but whiny.

The world will pay you back for being nice to shelter cats.

Patty Jo
December 4th 09, 04:15 AM
Yep, I wouldn't worry about the lump. And she'll enjoy the warm milk
eye bath better than cold water...pj

Cheryl[_3_]
December 5th 09, 04:45 AM
Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Little Bella has now been here one week and one day, and she is very
> happy, energetic, and affectionate. When we brought her home she had one
> eye that looked a little crusty, and that predictably blossomed into
> full-blown herpes in both eyes and the sneezing (URI) that goes along with
> it. Remembering what has been said here, and my last shelter cat, we got
> 500 mg capsules of L Lysine last Friday and began giving her half of one
> twice a day. Yesterday she woke up and could not even open one eye, and
> cried when she tried, so I thought it was not helping. But today she woke
> up pretty clear, just some crustiness around her eyes. We have been
> bathing her eye area very gently with soft toilet paper soaked in cool
> water--just holding her little head up and squeezing water from the tissue
> onto her closed eyes a few times, then when the stuff is very soft wiping
> it away. She is very patient and good. On a kitten this tiny I would not
> recommend trying to remove the eye gunk without softening it.
>
> The only other problem is, she has a little lump at her incision area, it
> was larger and soft, is now smaller with a very hard, tiny pebble like
> thing in it. It does not look infected and she never paws at it or grooms
> it as though it hurts her. Nevertheless, she goes for her first vet visit
> Monday.
>
> Still have not gotten good photos of her, but will put up what I have soon
> as I can. She is a total doll. I love having a kitten. Gracie is tolerant
> but whiny.

cybercat
December 5th 09, 10:30 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
> cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.

Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Cheryl[_3_]
December 5th 09, 10:44 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try using
>> cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.
>>

> Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.

Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much, small
blood vessels can break.

cybercat
December 6th 09, 05:58 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try
>>> using cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.
>>>

>> Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.
>
> Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
> starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much,
> small blood vessels can break.

I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She seems
much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing so much.
So now she has even more energy. :) She is waging war with dust motes now,
leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and then.

MLB[_2_]
December 6th 09, 06:41 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.
>> Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
>> starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much,
>> small blood vessels can break.
>
> I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She seems
> much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing so much.
> So now she has even more energy. :) She is waging war with dust motes now,
> leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and then.

Perhaps the dust motes make her sneeze??? MLB

cybercat
December 6th 09, 08:13 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:

>>> Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if
>>> she starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that
>>> much, small blood vessels can break.
>>
>> I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She
>> seems much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing
>> so much. So now she has even more energy. :) She is waging war with dust
>> motes now, leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and
>> then.
> Perhaps the dust motes make her sneeze??? MLB

Oh, no. She got here with the usual case of Shelter Snots. The dust does
make me sneeze, though as I am allergic. I am not sure I have ever seen a
ray of sunshine w/o dust motes. You may be a better housekeeper than I.

dgk
December 7th 09, 04:11 PM
On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:13:58 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"MLB" > wrote in message
>> cybercat wrote:

>>> I am really glad you told me that. That would have freaked me out. She
>>> seems much better today, woke up with less crusty eyes and not sneezing
>>> so much. So now she has even more energy. :) She is waging war with dust
>>> motes now, leaping into the air and falling on her head every now and
>>> then.
>> Perhaps the dust motes make her sneeze??? MLB
>
>Oh, no. She got here with the usual case of Shelter Snots. The dust does
>make me sneeze, though as I am allergic. I am not sure I have ever seen a
>ray of sunshine w/o dust motes. You may be a better housekeeper than I.

Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking that sunlight seems to cause
dust motes. They certainly disappear when the sun isn't shining in. I
hate the thought that all of that stuff is going inside me. I even
turned on the air cleaner over the weekend.

cybercat
December 7th 09, 05:03 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:13:58 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

>>> Perhaps the dust motes make her sneeze??? MLB
>>
>>Oh, no. She got here with the usual case of Shelter Snots. The dust does
>>make me sneeze, though as I am allergic. I am not sure I have ever seen a
>>ray of sunshine w/o dust motes. You may be a better housekeeper than I.
>>

> Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking that sunlight seems to cause
> dust motes. They certainly disappear when the sun isn't shining in. I
> hate the thought that all of that stuff is going inside me. I even
> turned on the air cleaner over the weekend.

I have large hepas all over. I should vacuum more often. I don't know about
the cat, but I am allergic to dust, mold--and cats. No kidding. I take
Gracie for allergy shots quarterly but I don't even get one. :) I take
Claritin. And suffer for love. Good thing I have had practice at that, haha!
I am really allergic to the new kitten.

MLB[_2_]
December 7th 09, 06:28 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:13:58 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>> Oh, no. She got here with the usual case of Shelter Snots. The dust does
>>> make me sneeze, though as I am allergic. I am not sure I have ever seen a
>>> ray of sunshine w/o dust motes. You may be a better housekeeper than I.
>>>
>> Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking that sunlight seems to cause
>> dust motes. They certainly disappear when the sun isn't shining in. I
>> hate the thought that all of that stuff is going inside me. I even
>> turned on the air cleaner over the weekend.
>
> I have large hepas all over. I should vacuum more often. I don't know about
> the cat, but I am allergic to dust, mold--and cats. No kidding. I take
> Gracie for allergy shots quarterly but I don't even get one. :) I take
> Claritin. And suffer for love. Good thing I have had practice at that, haha!
> I am really allergic to the new kitten.

That makes me wonder if using "kitty wipes" and a natural bristle brush
would help? As I said, I am wondering. I place a large, heavy bath
towel on my lap at brush time. I use a "slicker" brush on TuTu. Good
luck. MLB

cybercat
December 7th 09, 06:38 PM
"MLB" > wrote
> That makes me wonder if using "kitty wipes" and a natural bristle brush
> would help? As I said, I am wondering. I place a large, heavy bath towel
> on my lap at brush time. I use a "slicker" brush on TuTu. Good luck.

Thank you, MLB ... I have been washing the kitten's eyes with warm water
twice a day and my husband gave her one bath. I am definitely more allergic
to her than to Gracie. But I asked my doctor if there was any danger in my
just taking Claritin and living with the itchy runny eyes and such, and he
said, "no, beyond the annoyance." I have asthma too, but it is well
controlled using Advair. My allergies are not severe. I would suffer more
not having cats. One thing that helps a lot--I keep the new baby out of my
room and my bed, and I wash my face a lot, splash cold water in my eyes. I
think I will get acclimated to her, I did to Boo, whom I was also very
allergic too. I sleep with Gracie every night and cuddle, too. Her dander
hardly bothers me.

MLB[_2_]
December 7th 09, 07:54 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote
>> That makes me wonder if using "kitty wipes" and a natural bristle brush
>> would help? As I said, I am wondering. I place a large, heavy bath towel
>> on my lap at brush time. I use a "slicker" brush on TuTu. Good luck.
>
> Thank you, MLB ... I have been washing the kitten's eyes with warm water
> twice a day and my husband gave her one bath. I am definitely more allergic
> to her than to Gracie. But I asked my doctor if there was any danger in my
> just taking Claritin and living with the itchy runny eyes and such, and he
> said, "no, beyond the annoyance." I have asthma too, but it is well
> controlled using Advair. My allergies are not severe. I would suffer more
> not having cats. One thing that helps a lot--I keep the new baby out of my
> room and my bed, and I wash my face a lot, splash cold water in my eyes. I
> think I will get acclimated to her, I did to Boo, whom I was also very
> allergic too. I sleep with Gracie every night and cuddle, too. Her dander
> hardly bothers me.

I am very sympathetic with your allergy problem. My son was an allergic
child and it was a problem for years. The allergy doctor at that time
told me it took 20 years to outgrow an allergy. He is still allergic to
cats, certain foods and some laundry soaps. He has two Bouviers,
watches what he eats and does not stay long when he comes here. His
youngest son and both daughters seem to be chips off the old block.
IMHO civilization is the problem. I really wish we could find an way to
solve the problem. Best wishes. MLB

Bill Graham
December 8th 09, 04:07 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 15:13:58 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>>>Oh, no. She got here with the usual case of Shelter Snots. The dust does
>>>make me sneeze, though as I am allergic. I am not sure I have ever seen a
>>>ray of sunshine w/o dust motes. You may be a better housekeeper than I.
>>>

>> Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking that sunlight seems to cause
>> dust motes. They certainly disappear when the sun isn't shining in. I
>> hate the thought that all of that stuff is going inside me. I even
>> turned on the air cleaner over the weekend.
>
> I have large hepas all over. I should vacuum more often. I don't know
> about the cat, but I am allergic to dust, mold--and cats. No kidding. I
> take Gracie for allergy shots quarterly but I don't even get one. :) I
> take Claritin. And suffer for love. Good thing I have had practice at
> that, haha! I am really allergic to the new kitten.

I recommend an air purifier....They are especially good in the Wintertime,
when your house/apartment is closed off from outside air.....Both you and
the cats will benefit........

Kelly Greene
December 8th 09, 08:43 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> Lump is normal, crusty eyes are a pain in the ass, but normal. Try
>>> using cotton balls with warm water. And of course the lysine.
>>>

>> Thanks! Her eyes are better, but she is sneezing her head off.
>
> Reminds me of Scarlett when she was a tiny kitten. Don't freak out if she
> starts to sneeze a little bit of blood. If she's sneezing that much,
> small blood vessels can break.

Our cats, both kill-shelter rescues, sneezed a little blood with their URI.
The older Zephyr doesn't sneeze any more but 10 wk old Phaedra still does -
maybe once or twice a day. It's been a month now. Their eyes would
occasionally water but never crusted. Zephyr gets spayed tomorrow morning.
We're as nervous as cats on a hot tin roof. :-( If anything happened to
her............

Kelly Greene
December 8th 09, 08:46 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> Funny you mentioned that. I was thinking that sunlight seems to cause
> dust motes. They certainly disappear when the sun isn't shining in. I
> hate the thought that all of that stuff is going inside me. I even
> turned on the air cleaner over the weekend.

They're still there when the sun isn't shining on them making them visible.
Sun doesn't "cause" them. Living does. They're bits of fabric, skin cells,
harmless (unless you're allergic) dust mites etc.