PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Number and Usage of Litterboxes

dgk
December 4th 09, 01:53 PM
How Many Cats?
How Many Litterboxes?

Discussion Area:

How does it work out? Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?

---MIKE---
December 4th 09, 03:10 PM
I have two cats and three litter boxes. They usually poop in one and
pee in another but not always. I always scoop a box as soon as I see it
has been used. Sometimes this means three or four times a day. It
seems that Amber prefers to use a box that has been scooped.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

starcat
December 4th 09, 06:04 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> How Many Cats?
> How Many Litterboxes?
>
> Discussion Area:
>
> How does it work out? Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
> nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
> peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?

I have two cats and four litterboxes: three covered and one uncovered.
They have two favorites: the large uncovered one and the covered one next
to it. They prefer to poo in one and pee in the other. They don't use the
other two every day, but they do use them on occasion. I could probably get
by with three, but one of my cats had poop problems about a year ago, and
they only completely resolved when I added a third and then a fourth box in
strategic locations (I've always had at least one pan per cat - my kitties
never go outside).

As for scooping, I scoop 2-3 times a day.

MaryL
December 4th 09, 09:20 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> How Many Cats?
> How Many Litterboxes?
>
> Discussion Area:
>
> How does it work out? Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
> nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
> peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?

The general rule of thumb is to have one litter box for each cat plus one
extra. However, I have two cats and only two litter boxes. That has worked
well for me, but I would quickly get another box if I could see a problem.
Both of my cats seem to prefer the same box "most of the time." However, if
I am working on the computer, they often use the box that is in the walk-in
closet in the computer room. Some cats "specialize" and prefer one box for
liquid waste and one for solid, but mine use box boxes for either purpose.
My boxes are uncovered, and I use Better Way clumbing litter--frequent
scooping, and Duffy will often follow behind me and use a box as soon as I
have cleaned it. I did find that Duffy demands that I leave the one box
(the one in the room where I do painting) in that location. I once tried to
change the position, and he used the floor where he expected to find the
box. I returned the box to its "proper" place, and he has not had an
accident since. This has nothing to do with the fact that he is blind--he
finds everything within minutes, but he apparently got used to the box in
that location and decided that that was the only place for it.

I really like the Magic Scoop Litter-Lifter. It is far and away the best
scoop I have ever used. It works so well that I can't see any purpose in
using mechanical litter boxes. It may look more expensive than those sold
in most stores, but I guarantee that it is entirely different (and well
worth the price). They are very sturdy, longer handles, and the "tines" are
wedge-shaped so that clumping litter drops right through with no need to
shake the scoop. As a result, waste is left on the scoop and clean litter
drops through. I have found that I do not need to change litter as often
since I have been using this handy little tool. You can see it here:
http://www.thecatconnection.com/cats/litter-scoops.html

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o
Duffy conquers the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

MaryL
December 4th 09, 09:56 PM
. ..

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> How Many Cats?
>> How Many Litterboxes?
>>
>> Discussion Area:
>>
>> How does it work out? Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
>> nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
>> peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?
>

> The general rule of thumb is to have one litter box for each cat plus one
> extra. However, I have two cats and only two litter boxes. That has
> worked well for me, but I would quickly get another box if I could see a
> problem. Both of my cats seem to prefer the same box "most of the time."
> However, if I am working on the computer, they often use the box that is
> in the walk-in closet in the computer room. Some cats "specialize" and
> prefer one box for liquid waste and one for solid, but mine use box boxes
> for either purpose. My boxes are uncovered, and I use Better Way clumbing
> litter--frequent scooping, and Duffy will often follow behind me and use a
> box as soon as I have cleaned it. I did find that Duffy demands that I
> leave the one box (the one in the room where I do painting) in that
> location. I once tried to change the position, and he used the floor
> where he expected to find the box. I returned the box to its "proper"
> place, and he has not had an accident since. This has nothing to do with
> the fact that he is blind--he finds everything within minutes, but he
> apparently got used to the box in that location and decided that that was
> the only place for it.
>
> I really like the Magic Scoop Litter-Lifter. It is far and away the best
> scoop I have ever used. It works so well that I can't see any purpose in
> using mechanical litter boxes. It may look more expensive than those sold
> in most stores, but I guarantee that it is entirely different (and well
> worth the price). They are very sturdy, longer handles, and the "tines"
> are wedge-shaped so that clumping litter drops right through with no need
> to shake the scoop. As a result, waste is left on the scoop and clean
> litter drops through. I have found that I do not need to change litter as
> often since I have been using this handy little tool. You can see it
> here:
> http://www.thecatconnection.com/cats/litter-scoops.html
>
> MaryL

One final comment on why I think it is preferable to use a standard litter
box instead of one of the mechanical models: That is, it is very important
to be aware of *how* the box is being used (how many deposits of urine and
how many solid waste deposits). Even more important, we need to know when
waste is *not* being deposited in the normal manner. This is particularly
important when checking for early signs of urinary tract infection.

MaryL

Cheryl[_3_]
December 5th 09, 12:08 AM

4

4

> Discussion Area:
>
> How does it work out?

For the most part, ok. Shamrock still thinks he owns them all and doesn't
like to let Bonnie use any of them.

Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
> nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
> peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?

They use whatever one they want to. One does get more poo clumps while
others get more pee clumps. Then there's the cement floor next to two of
the boxes and I'm sure that's poor Bonnie because Shamrock is hateful toward
her. At least she goes on the concrete and not hiding it somewhere so I'm
ok cleaning it up. She's not terrorized otherwise. She's learned to not be
so afraid of him, but I guess the litterbox will take some more time.

Wayne Mitchell
December 5th 09, 01:24 AM
dgk > wrote:

>How Many Cats?

Two

>How Many Litterboxes?

Three -- one for each level (including basement)

>Does one cat use each box?

No. Their use of the boxes is even more evenly distributed than their
use of the house.

> Do they use the box nearest to where they are when nature calls?

Largely, I think -- although I don't think it's always that way.

> Do they use one for peeing and one for pooping?

No.

> Is there no discernable pattern?

None that I've ever discovered.
--

Wayne M.

Kalmia
December 6th 09, 03:52 PM
On Dec 4, 8:53*am, dgk > wrote:
> How Many Cats?
> How Many Litterboxes?
>
> Discussion Area:
>
> How does it work out? Does one cat use each box? Do they use the box
> nearest to where they are when nature calls? Do they use one for
> peeing and one for pooping? Is there no discernable pattern?

Friend has three cats - two female. All 'fixed'. Two boxes - both
kept in same room on 2nd floor (she has a very large bathroom.) No
disc. pattern. If she goes away overnight, sets up a third box to be
safe. Has never found an accident.

Gandalf
December 6th 09, 10:03 PM
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:10:32 -0500, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

>I have two cats and three litter boxes. They usually poop in one and
>pee in another but not always. I always scoop a box as soon as I see it
>has been used. Sometimes this means three or four times a day. It
>seems that Amber prefers to use a box that has been scooped.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Yes, the usual rule of thumb is to have one more litterbox than the
number of cats.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091206-1, 12/06/2009
Tested on: 12/6/2009 4:03:51 PM

dgk
December 7th 09, 01:57 PM
On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:56:49 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
. ..

>One final comment on why I think it is preferable to use a standard litter
>box instead of one of the mechanical models: That is, it is very important
>to be aware of *how* the box is being used (how many deposits of urine and
>how many solid waste deposits). Even more important, we need to know when
>waste is *not* being deposited in the normal manner. This is particularly
>important when checking for early signs of urinary tract infection.
>
>MaryL

That is a VERY good point, and in fact is why I insisted on an open
box for a long time. Though with three cats it's often difficult to
determine just who is doing what.

I sort of solved that problem by putting a surveilance camera in front
of the robot. That started before I got the robot, since I needed to
know if Espy was peeing so it started over the litterbox.

At the moment the camera is inactive because I moved the robot and
need to move the camera but I'll do it soon. It's motion detecting and
records videos on the computer. I review the videos (most recent
first) until I find one where Espy is peeing. Than I can discard them.

But even with the Robot, I still empty out the catch drawer and note
is someone is showing a problem. It doesn't go into a sealed container
or something like that. It's pretty obvious if someone is having
unusual output and I have the videos to try to isolate who it is. It
isn't as clear with the robot as with an open litterbox, but I get
less complaints from the Significant Other.

Rene
December 10th 09, 08:21 PM
Three cats
Three boxes

General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
if necessary.

Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.

dgk
December 11th 09, 03:54 PM
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
wrote:

>Three cats
>Three boxes
>
>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
>if necessary.
>
>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.

Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.

cybercat
December 11th 09, 04:57 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
> wrote:
>
>>Three cats
>>Three boxes
>>
>>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
>>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
>>if necessary.
>>
>>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
>>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
>>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
>>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.
>
> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.

You are really, really asking for elimination problems. Begging for them. In
fact, you already have them, given that going outside the box is the only
problem worth noting. Save your gadgets for other pursuits and stop ****ing
with your cats. Would you like it if there was an annoying thing there every
time you wanted to go? Or another cat's stink? Really.

MaryL
December 11th 09, 07:27 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
> wrote:
>
>>Three cats
>>Three boxes
>>
>>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
>>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
>>if necessary.
>>
>>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
>>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
>>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
>>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.
>
> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.

It really isn't "weird" at all. Cats (like people) need adequate space and
privacy. Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side when I
first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too small. That
was my fault, not his. I replaced the boxes with very large ones and have
not had another problem since. Duffy is not a large cat (8 pounds), but he
is blind. I think he just needed some extra space for compensation.
Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus one extra, think
of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and wait in line while
another cat finishes his/her business, so you really are asking for trouble
by having only one box. Moreover, some cats "specialize" and like to use
one box for urine and another one for solid waste. You have been fortunate
so far, but if accidents begin, they are likely to continue. Many of us
have been able to get by with one box for each cat (without the one extra
box), but I would certainly not try to "get by" with a single box.

MaryL

Sherry
December 11th 09, 07:33 PM
On Dec 11, 10:57*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "dgk" > wrote in message

> > On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
> > wrote:
>
> >>Three cats
> >>Three boxes
>
> >>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
> >>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
> >>if necessary.
>
> >>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
> >>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
> >>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
> >>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.
>
> > Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
> > not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
> > he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.
>
> You are really, really asking for elimination problems. Begging for them. In
> fact, you already have them, given that going outside the box is the only
> problem worth noting. Save your gadgets for other pursuits and stop ****ing
> with your cats. Would you like it if there was an annoying thing there every
> time you wanted to go? Or another cat's stink? Really.- Hide quoted text -

Elimination problems are the pits. I won't even change litter, because
ATM
everyone (except Biskit)...has perfect litterbox manners. I'm not
messing
with a good thing. I don't even use those freshener powders in the
box.
Biskit still pees in the bathroom sink. Don't ask me why. It's not the
bathroom we use, so it isn't a big deal. And she does it in typical
her typical ladylike fashion. I'd have never known she was doing it
had I not seen her, and noticed an odor coming from the sink.
Now I pour a little lavender scented Lysol down the drain, or
sometimes
baking soda & vinegar and it's all good.
Otherwise, I have four jumbo litterboxes for five cats. I scoop once a
day, add litter
when needed, and change
the whole shebang and clean the boxes about once a month.

Sherry

Matthew[_3_]
December 11th 09, 07:39 PM
. ..

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Three cats
>>>Three boxes
>>>
>>>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
>>>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
>>>if necessary.
>>>
>>>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
>>>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
>>>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
>>>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.
>>
>> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
>> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
>> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.
>
> It really isn't "weird" at all. Cats (like people) need adequate space
> and privacy. Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side
> when I first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too
> small. That was my fault, not his. I replaced the boxes with very large
> ones and have not had another problem since. Duffy is not a large cat (8
> pounds), but he is blind. I think he just needed some extra space for
> compensation. Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus
> one extra, think of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and
> wait in line while another cat finishes his/her business, so you really
> are asking for trouble by having only one box. Moreover, some cats
> "specialize" and like to use one box for urine and another one for solid
> waste. You have been fortunate so far, but if accidents begin, they are
> likely to continue. Many of us have been able to get by with one box for
> each cat (without the one extra box), but I would certainly not try to
> "get by" with a single box.
>
> MaryL

I did something to handle that I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the bed
type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but not
high enough not to let them get in or perch. I take the newspaper under the
bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex bag over it. It can hold a 25
pound bag of litter with ease. the cost of the bin $3.00 cheap stronger
and easily replaced

Sherry
December 11th 09, 07:44 PM
On Dec 11, 1:39*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>
> . ..
>

> > "dgk" > wrote in message

> >> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
> >> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
> >> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.
>
> > It really isn't "weird" at all. *Cats (like people) need adequate space
> > and privacy. *Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side
> > when I first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too
> > small. *That was my fault, not his. *I replaced the boxes with very large
> > ones and have not had another problem since. *Duffy is not a large cat (8
> > pounds), but he is blind. *I think he just needed some extra space for
> > compensation. Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus
> > one extra, think of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and
> > wait in line while another cat finishes his/her business, so you really
> > are asking for trouble by having only one box. *Moreover, some cats
> > "specialize" and like to use one box for urine and another one for solid
> > waste. *You have been fortunate so far, but if accidents begin, they are
> > likely to continue. *Many of us have been able to get by with one box for
> > each cat (without the one extra box), but I would certainly not try to
> > "get by" with a single box.
>
> > MaryL
>
> I did something to handle that *I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the bed
> type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but not
> high enough not to let them get in or perch. *I take the newspaper under the
> bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex *bag over it. *It can hold a 25
> pound bag of litter with ease. *the cost of the bin $3.00 *cheap *stronger
> and easily replaced- Hide quoted text -

I wish I could use liners. It would make cleanup so much easier.
Unfortunately,
there's an overzealous digger here (Bosley)who shreds the plastic so
bad it's just useless.

MLB[_2_]
December 11th 09, 07:53 PM
Sherry wrote:
> On Dec 11, 1:39 pm, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>
>> . ..

>>> It really isn't "weird" at all. Cats (like people) need adequate space
>>> and privacy. Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side
>>> when I first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too
>>> small. That was my fault, not his. I replaced the boxes with very large
>>> ones and have not had another problem since. Duffy is not a large cat (8
>>> pounds), but he is blind. I think he just needed some extra space for
>>> compensation. Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus
>>> one extra, think of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and
>>> wait in line while another cat finishes his/her business, so you really
>>> are asking for trouble by having only one box. Moreover, some cats
>>> "specialize" and like to use one box for urine and another one for solid
>>> waste. You have been fortunate so far, but if accidents begin, they are
>>> likely to continue. Many of us have been able to get by with one box for
>>> each cat (without the one extra box), but I would certainly not try to
>>> "get by" with a single box.
>>> MaryL
>> I did something to handle that I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the bed
>> type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but not
>> high enough not to let them get in or perch. I take the newspaper under the
>> bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex bag over it. It can hold a 25
>> pound bag of litter with ease. the cost of the bin $3.00 cheap stronger
>> and easily replaced- Hide quoted text -

> I wish I could use liners. It would make cleanup so much easier.
> Unfortunately,
> there's an overzealous digger here (Bosley)who shreds the plastic so
> bad it's just useless.

I had to give up liners for that same reason. MLB

Matthew[_3_]
December 11th 09, 08:00 PM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Sherry wrote:
>> On Dec 11, 1:39 pm, "Matthew" >
>> wrote:
>>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>>
>>> . ..

>>> I did something to handle that I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the
>>> bed
>>> type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but not
>>> high enough not to let them get in or perch. I take the newspaper under
>>> the
>>> bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex bag over it. It can hold a
>>> 25
>>> pound bag of litter with ease. the cost of the bin $3.00 cheap
>>> stronger
>>> and easily replaced- Hide quoted text -

>> I wish I could use liners. It would make cleanup so much easier.
>> Unfortunately,
>> there's an overzealous digger here (Bosley)who shreds the plastic so
>> bad it's just useless.
>>

> I had to give up liners for that same reason. MLB

that is why I use the force flex it is hard to rip and the newspaper
underneath makes the clean up easier I Just dump the whole thing into a
trash bag and replace it all again. I buy the stuff from a wholesale club
and the newspaper comes daily and most of the news get the appropriate
response from the cats ;-)

MaryL
December 11th 09, 09:01 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
>>> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
>>> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.
>>
>> It really isn't "weird" at all. Cats (like people) need adequate space
>> and privacy. Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side
>> when I first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too
>> small. That was my fault, not his. I replaced the boxes with very large
>> ones and have not had another problem since. Duffy is not a large cat (8
>> pounds), but he is blind. I think he just needed some extra space for
>> compensation. Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus
>> one extra, think of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and
>> wait in line while another cat finishes his/her business, so you really
>> are asking for trouble by having only one box. Moreover, some cats
>> "specialize" and like to use one box for urine and another one for solid
>> waste. You have been fortunate so far, but if accidents begin, they are
>> likely to continue. Many of us have been able to get by with one box for
>> each cat (without the one extra box), but I would certainly not try to
>> "get by" with a single box.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> I did something to handle that I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the
> bed type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but
> not high enough not to let them get in or perch. I take the newspaper
> under the bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex bag over it. It
> can hold a 25 pound bag of litter with ease. the cost of the bin $3.00
> cheap stronger and easily replaced

I don't use liners, but the large black trash bags are just large enough so
that I can insert the litterbox in it. I don't insert the entire box--just
put about half of the litterbox into the trash bag and dump the contents
that way. A few good "whacks" underneath breaks any "hard stuff" loose. Of
course, I do wash the boxes from time to time but not every time I change
litter.

MaryL

MLB[_2_]
December 12th 09, 01:36 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> Sherry wrote:

>>> I wish I could use liners. It would make cleanup so much easier.
>>> Unfortunately,
>>> there's an overzealous digger here (Bosley)who shreds the plastic so
>>> bad it's just useless.
>>>
>> I had to give up liners for that same reason. MLB
>
> that is why I use the force flex it is hard to rip and the newspaper
> underneath makes the clean up easier I Just dump the whole thing into a
> trash bag and replace it all again. I buy the stuff from a wholesale club
> and the newspaper comes daily and most of the news get the appropriate
> response from the cats ;-)

I worked for a newspaper for 33 years. My motto for it was: All the
news that's fit to print -- and a lot that isn't.

Regarding force flex -- TuTu claws could rip elephant hide. But I have
only one cat, so may way isn't a problem. Best wishes. MLB

Petzl
December 12th 09, 02:54 AM
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:36:04 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>I worked for a newspaper for 33 years. My motto for it was: All the
>news that's fit to print -- and a lot that isn't.
>
>Regarding force flex -- TuTu claws could rip elephant hide. But I have
>only one cat, so may way isn't a problem. Best wishes. MLB

A lot of these replies are hilarious and how one's cat defeats one's
good intentions (that's their job you know)
I really laughed about the expensive robo poop scooper who's cat gets
in but butt stays out

Petzl

December 12th 09, 03:00 AM
On Dec 11, 11:44*am, Sherry > wrote:
> On Dec 11, 1:39*pm, "Matthew" >
> wrote:
>

> > "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>
> . ..

> > > It really isn't "weird" at all. *Cats (like people) need adequate space
> > > and privacy. *Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side
> > > when I first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too
> > > small. *That was my fault, not his. *I replaced the boxes with very large
> > > ones and have not had another problem since. *Duffy is not a large cat (8
> > > pounds), but he is blind. *I think he just needed some extra space for
> > > compensation. Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus
> > > one extra, think of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and
> > > wait in line while another cat finishes his/her business, so you really
> > > are asking for trouble by having only one box. *Moreover, some cats
> > > "specialize" and like to use one box for urine and another one for solid
> > > waste. *You have been fortunate so far, but if accidents begin, they are
> > > likely to continue. *Many of us have been able to get by with one box for
> > > each cat (without the one extra box), but I would certainly not try to
> > > "get by" with a single box.
>
> > > MaryL
>
> > I did something to handle that *I went to Wal-Mart and got the under the bed
> > type storage bin they are huge, plastic and have semi high sides but not
> > high enough not to let them get in or perch. *I take the newspaper under the
> > bottom and use a hefty 33 gallon force flex *bag over it. *It can hold a 25
> > pound bag of litter with ease. *the cost of the bin $3.00 *cheap *stronger
> > and easily replaced- Hide quoted text -

> I wish I could use liners. It would make cleanup so much easier.
> Unfortunately,
> there's an overzealous digger here (Bosley)who shreds the plastic so
> bad it's just useless.

There are boxes with a clip on piece that goes up a couple inches. I
bought them to deal with a digger who would shoot half the litter out
of the box. But it also solved the problem with the wipers who paw at
the edge of the box like crazy.

Last year, I did have to stop using those boxes as I got more cats,
but nobody want to use the new locations. I Had 5 boxes, but only 2
were getting any use. So, I had to get larger boxes to allow them more
litter to dig in and cover while I am at work. The larger boxes don't
have the clip on piece, and I hate covered boxes. If i don't see it or
smell it, I won't scoop as often. I prefer to scoop when I walk by and
see that it has been used again. (as well as normal times such as when
I get up, when I get home from work, before bed).

What I did was buy two larger rubbermaid style containers that are
just barely larger than the widthe of the box and about a foot longer.
The large litter box snugs up inside the larger crate, so the liners
are held in place pretty well, and the wiping is done to the inside
wall of the taller crate. So, the liners stay good, the litter stays
in the box, and the dogs can't get to anything.

The two popular locations are the bathroom, and the entrance to my
bedroom, so I go by both several times a day, allowing me to keep an
eye on them.

When I go out of town for a weekend, I will get out the older small
boxes and put them beside the larger boxes and fill all of them extra
deep.

I'm interested in getting a cat genie soon. I would set it to let me
pick when it goes, so I could still see what they are producing (or
not). For me, the reason would be to reduce the amount of kitty litter
waste. We do our own hauling to the dump, and I have multiple cans out
back to fill up with heavy litter. We could reduce our trips and pay
less if we didn't have so much kitty litter waste. I would try one
first and if everybody looks happy, then add a second. And then phase
out one of the regular boxes. I'd still keep at least one regular box
to make sure everybody is happy.

In answer to the original question. Most of the pee is in one box, and
most of the poop is on the other box. Some of the cats have a definite
preference. But both get used for both.

I am careful when making changes. Most of my cats over the years have
been agreeable with just about anything. But I have one cat who
doesn't like changes. Years ago, I couldn't get to the pet store, so I
bought some litter that was pellets (I didn't want clay or silicon, so
there wasn't much choice then). He took one look, and went to my bed
and peed there. I got the message. These days, if I can't get to the
pet store and really need more litter, I will use corn litter. Similar
texture, so they don't have a problem with it.

Sherry
December 12th 09, 03:29 AM
On Dec 11, 7:36*pm, MLB > wrote:
> Matthew wrote:
>
> . ..

> >> I had to give up liners for that same reason. *MLB
>
> > that is why I use the force flex *it is hard to rip and the newspaper
> > underneath makes the clean up easier *I Just dump the whole thing into a
> > trash bag and replace it all again. *I buy the stuff from a wholesale club
> > and the newspaper comes daily and most of the news get the appropriate
> > response from the cats ;-)
>
> I worked for a newspaper for 33 years. *My motto for it was: *All the
> news that's fit to print -- and a lot that isn't.
>
> Regarding force flex -- TuTu claws could rip elephant hide. *But I have
> only one cat, so may way isn't a problem. *Best wishes. *MLB- Hide quoted text -

Hehe. I worked for a newspaper for about 27 years. Our motto was, "All
the
news that fits, we print."
And it was a nice consolation when you made an awful, dreadful mistake
that
made it to print. Invariably someone would say, "Oh well. It'll be on
the bottom
of the bird cage tomorrow."

Sherry

Sherry

dgk
December 14th 09, 01:44 PM
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:27:16 -0600, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:21:14 -0800 (PST), Rene >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Three cats
>>>Three boxes
>>>
>>>General rule is number of cats + 1 box. Though I am unofficially one
>>>box short, our current arrangement works well. I would add another box
>>>if necessary.
>>>
>>>Each cat of ours is different. One is very routine oriented and
>>>urinates in one box and defecates in another. Cat #2 goes where ever,
>>>whenever--no pattern. Cat #3 usually uses one specific box for both
>>>urine and stools, but will use another box sometimes.
>>
>> Thanks. Cats are all weird. So far the litter robot is working out but
>> not without some issues. Nipsy is really just a bit too big. Yesterday
>> he stuck his butt out the opening and peed on the floor.
>
>It really isn't "weird" at all. Cats (like people) need adequate space and
>privacy. Duffy even had trouble sticking his rear end over the side when I
>first adopted him, but that was because the litterbox was too small. That
>was my fault, not his. I replaced the boxes with very large ones and have
>not had another problem since. Duffy is not a large cat (8 pounds), but he
>is blind. I think he just needed some extra space for compensation.
>Considering the rule of thumb of one box for each cat plus one extra, think
>of this: It is not in the nature of cats to queue up and wait in line while
>another cat finishes his/her business, so you really are asking for trouble
>by having only one box. Moreover, some cats "specialize" and like to use
>one box for urine and another one for solid waste. You have been fortunate
>so far, but if accidents begin, they are likely to continue. Many of us
>have been able to get by with one box for each cat (without the one extra
>box), but I would certainly not try to "get by" with a single box.
>
>MaryL

I have sometimes seen a cat come by to use the litterbox while another
cat was in it. They walk away and come back a few minutes later.

With the robot, they get more privacy than they ever did before, since
I never had a covered box. I never noticed the cats caring one way or
another about privacy though. They sure dig and go anywhere in the
backyard without hiding under a bush.

Marlo and Epsy seem to like the robot. I know cats always like
climbing and going into cave like objects (like layers of the cat
tree) and they climb into the robot with enthusiasm. They might even
like that the litter is always clean - who can tell really?

But Nipsy is a problem. He is just really big. I have his miss on
video; he walks in, digs a bit, raises his butt and just pees out the
door. Maybe I can post it on UTube or something so you can see.

He's always been very awkward in using any litterbox I've had though.
He scratches a bit, then pees or poops somewhere else, and can never
quite figure how to cover it up. Most of the time he doesn't even
bother trying. Marlo tries but isn't too good at covering either. Espy
is the only one who seems to understand that flinging litter around
randomly might not cover the deed.

cybercat
December 14th 09, 06:21 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> But Nipsy is a problem. He is just really big. I have his miss on
> video; he walks in, digs a bit, raises his butt and just pees out the
> door. Maybe I can post it on UTube or something so you can see.

Just get him his own great big litter box like the ones I use. Nobody wants
to see this. He has no choice but to go where you give him to go. I am
starting to get upset. No matter what *you* think, he does not want to make
a mess. Cats are generally very clean. The top link explains why I am upset
before I begin calling you an asshole. The bottom link is the kind of box my
cats have.

http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755434

December 14th 09, 10:53 PM
On Dec 14, 5:44*am, dgk > wrote:

> But Nipsy is a problem. He is just really big. I have his miss on
> video; he walks in, digs a bit, raises his butt and just pees out the
> door. Maybe I can post it on UTube or something so you can see.

He obviously needs a larger box. He isn't sticking his rear out on
purpose. He doesn't feel comfortable in a larger box and having a lid
on it doesn't help him in trying to fit. The fact that he goes in
there, even if he misses, is telling you that he is trying to do his
business in the box.

Make it easy for him - get him a larger box.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of covering. Not every cat is good at
that. I have one that make a big effort to cover, but has never
noticed that his front paw isn't anywhere near the pile he produced.
But since I am going to scoop it anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm
grateful that he puts it in the box, and has never had a problem in
the 4 years I have had him. He is also a big boy - 16 lb ragdoll. He
got up to 20 lbs when he was growing and getting used to regular
feedings (he was on the street before being turned in, so he would eat
every meal like it was his last. The very first thing I did was go out
and buy a larger litter box. Sure, he can use a small one, even a
travel size (if not covered). But I wanted him to feel comfortable
using the box.

Also, I don't use covered boxes. It bothers some cats, and I also find
that out of sight is out of mind. So, I prefer to be able to see that
the box needs to be scooped when I walk by, without having to make a
special effort to look. It acts as a visual reminder to keep the box
in excellent condition.

dgk
December 15th 09, 02:34 PM
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:21:53 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>> But Nipsy is a problem. He is just really big. I have his miss on
>> video; he walks in, digs a bit, raises his butt and just pees out the
>> door. Maybe I can post it on UTube or something so you can see.
>>

>Just get him his own great big litter box like the ones I use. Nobody wants
>to see this. He has no choice but to go where you give him to go. I am
>starting to get upset. No matter what *you* think, he does not want to make
>a mess. Cats are generally very clean. The top link explains why I am upset
>before I begin calling you an asshole. The bottom link is the kind of box my
>cats have.
>
>http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm
>
>http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755434

I am not totally a free agent in this. There is a Significant Other
who is unhappy with one open litterbox - and certainly will not
consider allowing Scooter to come into the house until the litter
situation is ruled satisfactory. After 25 years of success with one
box, it's going to take a good argument that two or more are needed.

The first link has good information - the primary goal though is to
have clean and non-smelly litter. That is taken care of better than we
could ever do manually. The litter really does stay very clean with
the robot. I still have a month to decide whether to return it. I'm on
the fence.

I was thinking about putting another litterbox in the basement -
actually the original one. But then I remembered my number one issue -
the reason I have a surveilance camera on the robot. I need to make
sure that Espy does not get blocked again. That was the whole purpose
of getting a high quality surveilance camera in the first place.

WIth one box, I know who is going and when. Every day I review the
captures, starting with latest one. When I find that Epsy has used the
box, I breath easier. With two I need to set up another camera and
that will be very problematic in the basement. And I CANNOT put one on
the main floor. The SO has made that clear. Maybe I can find somewhere
upstairs where I can have the robot and a separate box next to each
other so only one camera will do.

It's almost going to HAVE to be the computer room. That room, at
least, is under my solo control. But I do not think I can have an open
box in there - the dust is a big issue and is much better contained by
a closed box.

I will figure out a way to let you folks see how the robot works
though. Plus you'll get a good look at Espy, Nipsy, and Marlo.