PDA

View Full Version : Litter Question

Mark Earnest
December 5th 09, 04:57 AM
Great information here about litter boxes to an amateur cat keeper like me.

One question that is not even on the bag, though:

How do you know when to change scoopable style litter?

Can you keep scooping indefinitely, just replacing what is scooped out?

Thanks.

FirstHit
December 7th 09, 06:29 AM
On Dec 4, 8:57*pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:
> Great information here about litter boxes to an amateur cat keeper like me.
>
> One question that is not even on the bag, though:
>
> How do you know when to change scoopable style litter?
>
> Can you keep scooping indefinitely, just replacing what is scooped out?
>
> Thanks.

I read somewhere recently that you should change the litter out once a
month and thoroughly wash out the box and scooper. I would also do
that if/when your cat is treated for any disease that can be
transmitted from the poop.

FirstHit

Mark Earnest
December 8th 09, 12:12 AM
"FirstHit" > wrote in message
On Dec 4, 8:57 pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:
> Great information here about litter boxes to an amateur cat keeper like
> me.
>
> One question that is not even on the bag, though:
>
> How do you know when to change scoopable style litter?
>
> Can you keep scooping indefinitely, just replacing what is scooped out?
>
> Thanks.

I read somewhere recently that you should change the litter out once a
month and thoroughly wash out the box and scooper. I would also do
that if/when your cat is treated for any disease that can be
transmitted from the poop.

FirstHit

Thanks. Now if I can just get the kitten from batting the litter across
the hallway!

Mark Earnest
December 9th 09, 06:11 AM
"sequeena" > wrote in message
>> Great information here about litter boxes to an amateur cat keeper
>> like me.
>
> One question that is not even on the bag, though:
> How
>> do you know when to change scoopable style litter?
>
> Can you keep
>> scooping indefinitely, just replacing what is scooped out?
>
> Thanks.
>

> I scoop as they poop/pee, top up daily and do a good clean and
> change once a week.
> No cat likes to do their business in a dirty tray.

I'll endeavor to keep their tray as clean as you do.