PDA

View Full Version : OLDER CAT EATING NEW KITTEN'S FOOD

JGreenfield
December 7th 09, 03:48 PM
I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
(. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
in CT.

cybercat
December 7th 09, 06:07 PM
"JGreenfield" > wrote in message
>I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
> (. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
> brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
> hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
> to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
> let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
> still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
> eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
> to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
> to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
> resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
> suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
> in CT.

I am doing this dance now, but it is the other way around--the kitten is
eating my older cat's food, and my older cat is hiding out. Separating them
at feeding times, with closed doors helps if they are the types that gobble
their food. But my older cat is a grazer, eating even her canned food over
an hour or so. I sometimes wait until the baby is distracted a couple of
floors away to feed the older cat. It is easier for me because I am at home,
but I surely do not have an easy solution beyound separating them.

JGreenfield
December 7th 09, 06:10 PM
On Dec 7, 12:07*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "JGreenfield" > wrote in message

> >I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
> > (. *Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. *We just recently
> > brought home a 3 month old female kitten. *At first there was lots of
> > hissing and slapping by the older cat. *We kept the kitten quarantined
> > to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. *We now
> > let her have free roam of the house. *The only problem is, while there
> > still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
> > eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. *Is there any way
> > to stop this? *The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
> > to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
> > resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
> > suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy *holidays to all...Joe
> > in CT.
>
> I am doing this dance now, but it is the other way around--the kitten is
> eating my older cat's food, and my older cat is hiding out. Separating them
> at feeding times, with closed doors helps if they are the types that gobble
> their food. But my older cat is a grazer, eating even her canned food over
> an hour or so. I sometimes wait until the baby is distracted a couple of
> floors away to feed the older cat. It is easier for me because I am at home,
> but I surely do not have an easy solution beyound separating them.

Thanks..actually, the kitten is also trying to eat the older one's
food too...this hasn't been as much of a problem...I appreciate your
advice and the time you took to answer me..good luck with your
situation...Joe (CT)

cybercat
December 7th 09, 07:34 PM
"JGreenfield" > wrote
>Thanks..actually, the kitten is also trying to eat the older one's
>food too...this hasn't been as much of a problem...I appreciate your
>advice and the time you took to answer me..good luck with your
>situation...Joe (CT)

Thanks, Joe. :) Actually, I just tried putting my older cat's food under a
box lid until the kitten lost interest, but I went downstairs to brown some
meat for tonight's stew, and when I came back up the kitten had hoovered all
of the canned and half of the dry down and was terrorizing my older cat.
So--I bit the bullet and gathered up the food dishes, washed they all in hot
soapy water (because of course the kitten has a cold from the shelter)
refilled them and the water dish, put the baby downstairs and shut the door,
and am now hoping my older cat will eat while the baby is in "prison." I
have to "bite the bullet" because the kitten cries like a puppy when shut
up. yelp! yelp! yelp! Breaks my heart. Now of course the older cat shows no
interest in the food. lol

JGreenfield
December 7th 09, 08:26 PM
On Dec 7, 1:34*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "JGreenfield" > wrote
>
> >Thanks..actually, the kitten is also trying to eat the older one's
> >food too...this hasn't been as much of a problem...I appreciate your
> >advice and the time you took to answer me..good luck with your
> >situation...Joe (CT)
>
> Thanks, Joe. :) Actually, I just tried putting my older cat's food under a
> box lid *until the kitten lost interest, but I went downstairs to brown some
> meat for tonight's stew, and when I came back up the kitten had hoovered all
> of the canned and half of the dry down and was terrorizing my older cat.
> So--I bit the bullet and gathered up the food dishes, washed they all in hot
> soapy water (because of course the kitten has a cold from the shelter)
> refilled them and the water dish, put the baby downstairs and shut the door,
> and am now hoping my older cat will eat while the baby is in "prison." I
> have to "bite the bullet" because the kitten cries like a puppy when shut
> up. yelp! yelp! yelp! Breaks my heart. Now of course the older cat shows no
> interest in the food. lol

Wow..it's a viscious cycle...and, it's a matter of chemistry..we
can't make them do what we want!..thanks again..Joe

Petzl
December 8th 09, 06:50 AM
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:48:15 -0800 (PST), JGreenfield
> wrote:

>suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe

Try picking up Cat in one arm, kitten in other (apart)
or sit them opposite sides of you
feed them treats or pat/brush them
Don't forget the all important hug (cats love affection)
Petzl

John Ross Mc Master
December 8th 09, 07:09 AM
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 06:48:15 -0800 (PST), JGreenfield
> wrote:

>I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
>(. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
>brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
>hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
>to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
>let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
>still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
>eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
>to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
>to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
>resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
>suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
>in CT.

I have a kitten eating a senior cat's low-protein diet. I separate
them at night, the only time I can do this. Separate them as best you
can and put out more litterboxes and water. Try to feed them on a
schedule, excvept, maybe 2-3 times a day, lock the kitten in the
bathroom for a few minutes with all the food she can eat.

John Ross Mc Master
December 8th 09, 07:13 AM
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 12:07:26 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"JGreenfield" > wrote in message
>>I see this board is getting hit with a lot of "off-topic" messages :-
>> (. Anyway, I have a ten year old female cat. We just recently
>> brought home a 3 month old female kitten. At first there was lots of
>> hissing and slapping by the older cat. We kept the kitten quarantined
>> to our bedroom during the day and in the bathroom at night. We now
>> let her have free roam of the house. The only problem is, while there
>> still is brief squabbles, which I hope will end soon, the older cat is
>> eating the kitten food and going in her litter box. Is there any way
>> to stop this? The kitten seems terrorized somewhat by this and seems
>> to "hold court" in our bedroom, where her food, water and litter box
>> resides..almost like she's afraid to leave her food alone..any and all
>> suggestions/recommendations are welcomed..happy holidays to all...Joe
>> in CT.
>
>I am doing this dance now, but it is the other way around--the kitten is
>eating my older cat's food, and my older cat is hiding out. Separating them
>at feeding times, with closed doors helps if they are the types that gobble
>their food. But my older cat is a grazer, eating even her canned food over
>an hour or so. I sometimes wait until the baby is distracted a couple of
>floors away to feed the older cat. It is easier for me because I am at home,
>but I surely do not have an easy solution beyound separating them.

I just read your reply to him. 100% the same problem here.

The kitten Spring is gaining weight but not as fast as she should. She
loves the taste of Calorie Control cc38 for some reason.

http://sites.google.com/site/weighingthecats/