PDA

View Full Version : Kitten's First Vet Visit

cybercat
December 8th 09, 12:36 AM
Meaning her first with me, of course. The SPCA had her seen several times.
She was spayed on November 10. Those of you who said the bump was normal
were of course right! She still has a little stitch that will later
dissolve, that is the hard thing I feel.

She has, as we figured, herpes virus, and the vet said the 500 mgs a day of
l-Lysine is fine, and to put Gracie on it too. For her eyes, Bella was given
ointment to be applied three times daily. The vet said rinsing gently with
lukewarm water twice a day is perfect and to apply the ointment after the
two washings and before bed time. Little Bella also has a flourishing
bacterial infection aka upper respiratory infection, for which I was given
liquid Clavamox to shoot down her little throat with a syringe every twelve
hours. She has gained an entire pound since Nov. 24! She is now 3 lbs 4
ounces. She loved up on everyone and just about fell asleep in the tech's
arms. No temperature, normal fecals. She was due for a distemper shot but
they prefer to wait until her infection clears up. The vet commented on how
"lanky" she is.

We go back as soon as her cold clears up.

Cheryl[_3_]
December 8th 09, 01:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Meaning her first with me, of course. The SPCA had her seen several times.
> She was spayed on November 10. Those of you who said the bump was normal
> were of course right! She still has a little stitch that will later
> dissolve, that is the hard thing I feel.
>
> She has, as we figured, herpes virus, and the vet said the 500 mgs a day
> of l-Lysine is fine, and to put Gracie on it too. For her eyes, Bella was
> given ointment to be applied three times daily. The vet said rinsing
> gently with lukewarm water twice a day is perfect and to apply the
> ointment after the two washings and before bed time. Little Bella also has
> a flourishing bacterial infection aka upper respiratory infection, for
> which I was given liquid Clavamox to shoot down her little throat with a
> syringe every twelve hours. She has gained an entire pound since Nov. 24!
> She is now 3 lbs 4 ounces. She loved up on everyone and just about fell
> asleep in the tech's arms. No temperature, normal fecals. She was due for
> a distemper shot but they prefer to wait until her infection clears up.
> The vet commented on how "lanky" she is.
>
> We go back as soon as her cold clears up.

She is a very lucky little baby to have you. One thing I noticed with the
only kittens I ever raised from very young is that when you nurse them back
to health, there is a very strong bond that is two-way. The kitten will
forever be bonded to you, and you to her. Since I had two kittens, Scarlett
was the sicklier of the two, and Rhett never had any other flare-ups after
he got better initially. Scarlett, though, kept getting sick, then well,
then sick, and still to this day suffers somewhat from the herpes. I even
had to hand feed her a few times when she didn't want to eat when she had a
flare-up. She bonded to me more than Rhett did. I guess I had to pay her
more attention than to him when they were very small. Best wishes to you
all.

dgk
December 8th 09, 03:14 PM
On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 19:36:24 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>Meaning her first with me, of course. The SPCA had her seen several times.
>She was spayed on November 10. Those of you who said the bump was normal
>were of course right! She still has a little stitch that will later
>dissolve, that is the hard thing I feel.
>
>She has, as we figured, herpes virus, and the vet said the 500 mgs a day of
>l-Lysine is fine, and to put Gracie on it too. For her eyes, Bella was given
>ointment to be applied three times daily. The vet said rinsing gently with
>lukewarm water twice a day is perfect and to apply the ointment after the
>two washings and before bed time. Little Bella also has a flourishing
>bacterial infection aka upper respiratory infection, for which I was given
>liquid Clavamox to shoot down her little throat with a syringe every twelve
>hours. She has gained an entire pound since Nov. 24! She is now 3 lbs 4
>ounces. She loved up on everyone and just about fell asleep in the tech's
>arms. No temperature, normal fecals. She was due for a distemper shot but
>they prefer to wait until her infection clears up. The vet commented on how
>"lanky" she is.
>
>We go back as soon as her cold clears up.

I love lanky. Nipsy is like that - seems more like a fluffy towel than
a cat.

cybercat
December 8th 09, 04:11 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> She is a very lucky little baby to have you.

Thank you, Cheryl, what a lovely thing to say. She fell asleep in my arms
last night after her feeding and doses of medicine, and it melted my heart.

One thing I noticed with the
> only kittens I ever raised from very young is that when you nurse them
> back to health, there is a very strong bond that is two-way. The kitten
> will forever be bonded to you, and you to her. Since I had two kittens,
> Scarlett was the sicklier of the two, and Rhett never had any other
> flare-ups after he got better initially. Scarlett, though, kept getting
> sick, then well, then sick, and still to this day suffers somewhat from
> the herpes. I even had to hand feed her a few times when she didn't want
> to eat when she had a flare-up. She bonded to me more than Rhett did. I
> guess I had to pay her more attention than to him when they were very
> small.

It seems like yesterday that Rhett and Scarlett were small. Your experience
made me want to get two siblings, but we decided three cats were too many to
handle for us now. You have had some wonderful cats.

>Best wishes to you all.

Thank you! My husband wanted the kitten to be "his cat" but has neither the
patience nor the inclination to really care for her current needs. He
grudgingly admitted that it's best for her to have both of us doting on her.
He still misses Boo so much, she really was his cat, he and his father
raised her from a tiny kitten and she slept beside him and he was HER human.
When we married, his father kept her, then gave her to us after he had made
her obese with too many goodies and crappy diet dry food. :) Gotta love old
guys. Anyway, there will never be another cat like Boo for my husband.
(Neither his father nor he gave her the kind of attention I give a cat--if I
had been in that household, Boo would not have been "his cat" either, most
likely.)

cybercat
December 8th 09, 04:12 PM
"dgk" > wrote

> I love lanky. Nipsy is like that - seems more like a fluffy towel than
> a cat.

So Nipsy is long-haired lanky? Neat! Bella is very sleek black and shiny, a
shorthair. Monkey-like at play. :)

Phil P.
December 25th 09, 04:57 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Meaning her first with me, of course. The SPCA had her seen several times.
> She was spayed on November 10. Those of you who said the bump was normal
> were of course right! She still has a little stitch that will later
> dissolve, that is the hard thing I feel.
>
> She has, as we figured, herpes virus, and the vet said the 500 mgs a day
of
> l-Lysine is fine, and to put Gracie on it too. For her eyes, Bella was
given
> ointment to be applied three times daily. The vet said rinsing gently with
> lukewarm water twice a day is perfect and to apply the ointment after the
> two washings and before bed time. Little Bella also has a flourishing
> bacterial infection aka upper respiratory infection, for which I was given
> liquid Clavamox to shoot down her little throat with a syringe every
twelve
> hours. She has gained an entire pound since Nov. 24! She is now 3 lbs 4
> ounces. She loved up on everyone and just about fell asleep in the tech's
> arms. No temperature, normal fecals. She was due for a distemper shot but
> they prefer to wait until her infection clears up. The vet commented on
how
> "lanky" she is.
>
> We go back as soon as her cold clears up.

Congratulations and best of luck with your new kitten!

Phil

cybercat
December 25th 09, 06:22 AM
"Phil P." > wrote

> Congratulations and best of luck with your new kitten!

Thanks Phil! I still need to get some pictures up. I am gone on her, she is
a lovely kitten. Hope you have a great holiday, we are all so grateful for
all you do and all your good advice.