PDA

View Full Version : Scooter and the family are all living in my box!

dgk
December 17th 09, 01:42 PM
I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.

Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.

My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.

I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
two feet by 16 inches.

Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
the four of them in there.

MLB[_2_]
December 17th 09, 06:01 PM
dgk wrote:
> I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>
> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>
> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>
> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
> two feet by 16 inches.
>
> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
> the four of them in there.

2'x16" is not very large for 4 cats -- unless they don't grow during
the winter. You are doing a good thing and I'm sure the kitties
appreciate it. What is the night temperature there?. Here, it is below
freezing having warmed up from below 0. Best wishes. MLB

Kelly Greene
December 17th 09, 09:50 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>
> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>
> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>
> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
> two feet by 16 inches.
>
> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
> the four of them in there.

I can only hope and pray your SO changes her/his mind. :*(

cybercat
December 18th 09, 06:58 AM
"dgk" > wrote

> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
> two feet by 16 inches.

Yes, I think so. It is nice that yuo are trying to do something for them.

Allan Smith
December 18th 09, 02:19 PM
dgk,

One caution - be careful of the setting of the heating pad. Too high a
setting can result in burns that the cats don't even feel happening, just as
it does in humans when they fall asleep on the pad. When you cover a heating
pad with a cat (who are heating pads themselves), it can get surprisingly
hot. While they will turn-over if too hot while awake, they may not if
asleep.

I had a male Siamese that developed bald spots on his stomach and underside
of the legs, with reddened skin underneath. $500 of vet bills and tests
later, I turned the heating pad down to its lowest setting after I picked
him up off the pad once and realized just how hot his stomach was. If you
note any patches of missing fur, it's likely due to the pad.

You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the box
as radiant heat, using a higher setting.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

"dgk" > wrote in message
>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.

dgk
December 18th 09, 04:26 PM
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 01:58:36 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote
>
>> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>> two feet by 16 inches.
>>

>Yes, I think so. It is nice that yuo are trying to do something for them.

They're all so cute. Well, Jet is a bit feral, but Scooter is as
friendly a cat as I've ever seen. He immediately lies on his back for
a quick tummy rub. The two babies are getting to the age where we have
to take them to some adoption service.

Scooter does seem to have a very wet mouth - perhaps a problem there.
I put out some Temptations for them and when he's done eating a few
the whole brick is wet.

Only he was there this morning and last night. I don't know where Jet
and the babies are; it's possible that one of my neighbors took them
in because it's now under 20F. If I don't see them when I get home
I'll call around.

dgk
December 18th 09, 04:27 PM
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 11:01:21 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>>
>> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>>
>> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>>
>> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>> two feet by 16 inches.
>>
>> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>> the four of them in there.
>
>2'x16" is not very large for 4 cats -- unless they don't grow during
>the winter. You are doing a good thing and I'm sure the kitties
>appreciate it. What is the night temperature there?. Here, it is below
>freezing having warmed up from below 0. Best wishes. MLB

But it is large for one cat. Too much room makes it colder in that
case. I'll need to see how long Jet and the babies stay around. And I
think it's almost time that the babies were sent somewhere where they
can get adopted.

cybercat
December 18th 09, 04:42 PM
"Allan Smith" > wrote :

> You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the box
> as radiant heat, using a higher setting.

A great idea.

Matthew[_3_]
December 18th 09, 05:02 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>
> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>
> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>
> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
> two feet by 16 inches.
>
> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
> the four of them in there.

You can go get one of those emergency thermal blankets the silver ones for
about $2.00 you can use it to line the bottom or all around. It holds the
heat in

Bill Graham
December 18th 09, 09:04 PM
"Allan Smith" > wrote in message
> dgk,
>
> One caution - be careful of the setting of the heating pad. Too high a
> setting can result in burns that the cats don't even feel happening, just
> as it does in humans when they fall asleep on the pad. When you cover a
> heating pad with a cat (who are heating pads themselves), it can get
> surprisingly hot. While they will turn-over if too hot while awake, they
> may not if asleep.
>
> I had a male Siamese that developed bald spots on his stomach and
> underside of the legs, with reddened skin underneath. $500 of vet bills
> and tests later, I turned the heating pad down to its lowest setting after
> I picked him up off the pad once and realized just how hot his stomach
> was. If you note any patches of missing fur, it's likely due to the pad.
>
> You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the box
> as radiant heat, using a higher setting.
>
> Allan

I fed and provided a heated box for a feral cat for several years before he
came inside from the cold, and fortunately, I read that heating pads can be
too hot for them, so I took care to keep it on low.....Except one very cold
week when the temperature got down below freezing, and I put it on medium
for that week. That, plus the roasted chicken he got, turned him into the
house cat he is today.....:^)

Bill Graham
December 18th 09, 09:06 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Allan Smith" > wrote :
>>
>> You might even consider using the pad on a vertical inside wall of the
>> box as radiant heat, using a higher setting.
>>

> A great idea.

Be sure to buy a "waterproof" heating pad too....these are sealed in plastic
so they are relatively moisture proof......

Allan Smith
December 18th 09, 10:37 PM
Matthew,

> You can go get one of those emergency thermal blankets the silver ones for
> about $2.00 you can use it to line the bottom or all around. It holds the
> heat in

An excellent idea! I suspect that lined with the reflective silver foil,
four cats could heat a box with their own body heat alone.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---
True civility is when every one gives to every other one every right
that they claim for themselves.

"Matthew" > wrote in message
g.com...

> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.

Matthew[_3_]
December 18th 09, 10:47 PM
"Allan Smith" > wrote in message
> Matthew,
>
>> You can go get one of those emergency thermal blankets the silver ones
>> for about $2.00 you can use it to line the bottom or all around. It
>> holds the heat in
>
> An excellent idea! I suspect that lined with the reflective silver foil,
> four cats could heat a box with their own body heat alone.
>
> Allan
>
> --
> One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
> ---
> True civility is when every one gives to every other one every right
> that they claim for themselves.
>
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> g.com...
>>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>>> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>>> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>>> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.

I have the pet blankets that have the foil inside of them and it use their
own body heat to warm up. Warm to the touch but no heat to cause a fire. I
got them from ABC distributing for $4.95 each a long time ago. Rip
resistant and stain resistant the fur balls love them. I can't find them
anymore though

here are the other blankets I was talking about
http://www.homelandpreparedness.com/cgi-bin/shop/fr_searchz.cgi?user_id=id&database=dbase1.exm&template=prod_supp_shelter_sr2.htm&0_option=1&0=3A

they are cheap on Amazon.com also
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0007CGH76/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

---MIKE---
December 18th 09, 11:14 PM
I have two window seats with heating pads set on low. Amber spends
almost all of her time on one but Tiger (long hair) isn't interested.
At night I put a piece of styrofoam against the window to repel the
cold. I tried reflective foil but it doesn't provide the heat that the
heating pad does.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

dgk
December 21st 09, 03:16 PM
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>
>Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>
>My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>
>I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>two feet by 16 inches.
>
>Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>the four of them in there.

Big snow! Just before it hit on Saturday, Scooter came into the
hallway and didn't want to go back out - but his family was in the box
so I couldn't see bringing him in; they need him. Everyone was back in
the box. But Sunday morning only the babies were there. All day Sunday
they kept coming out and I fed them - almost took them in but they
seemed to be doing fine. I kept expecting to see Scooter and Jet
return to the box but they are somewhere else.

This morning no one was in the box. Apparently mom came by during the
night and took them somewhere else. I'm worried about all of them of
course but I figure they'll turn up soon.

One piece of good news is that one of my neighbors took Pretty Girl to
the vet on Friday and she is being fixed. So at least she got to be in
a nice warm cage during the blizzard rather than outside. Of course,
she probably doesn't see it that way.

So Scooter and Pretty Girl are fixed - now we just have to take care
of Jet. And I think the babies are due to head to a shelter pretty
soon. They're just at that completely adorable, easily adoptable,
stage.

cybercat
December 21st 09, 06:40 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>

> One piece of good news is that one of my neighbors took Pretty Girl to
> the vet on Friday and she is being fixed. So at least she got to be in
> a nice warm cage during the blizzard rather than outside. Of course,
> she probably doesn't see it that way.
>
> So Scooter and Pretty Girl are fixed - now we just have to take care
> of Jet. And I think the babies are due to head to a shelter pretty
> soon. They're just at that completely adorable, easily adoptable,
> stage.

Excellent news. If you were married to me every last one of those cats would
have been inside, warm and fed, and you would have enough cat boxes not to
stress out your cats, too.

MLB[_2_]
December 21st 09, 07:24 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>
>> I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>>
>> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>>
>> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>>
>> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>> two feet by 16 inches.
>>
>> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>> the four of them in there.
>

> Big snow! Just before it hit on Saturday, Scooter came into the
> hallway and didn't want to go back out - but his family was in the box
> so I couldn't see bringing him in; they need him. Everyone was back in
> the box. But Sunday morning only the babies were there. All day Sunday
> they kept coming out and I fed them - almost took them in but they
> seemed to be doing fine. I kept expecting to see Scooter and Jet
> return to the box but they are somewhere else.
>
> This morning no one was in the box. Apparently mom came by during the
> night and took them somewhere else. I'm worried about all of them of
> course but I figure they'll turn up soon.
>
> One piece of good news is that one of my neighbors took Pretty Girl to
> the vet on Friday and she is being fixed. So at least she got to be in
> a nice warm cage during the blizzard rather than outside. Of course,
> she probably doesn't see it that way.
>
> So Scooter and Pretty Girl are fixed - now we just have to take care
> of Jet. And I think the babies are due to head to a shelter pretty
> soon. They're just at that completely adorable, easily adoptable,
> stage.

I hope these cats get enough time to recover from their surgeries before
having to live in the out again.
best wishes. MLB

Gandalf
December 22nd 09, 02:32 AM
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>
>Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>
>My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>
>I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>two feet by 16 inches.
>
>Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>the four of them in there.

Cats get easily burned lying directly on a heating pad; it happened to
my cat once.

I have a 'heated bed' for my cat, since I turn the heat down to 55F at
night. There are now 4 layers of old towels on it, and it's set to it's
lowest setting.

Thank you for taking care of these cats during the cold weather!

Few feral cats are this lucky!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091222-0, 12/22/2009
Tested on: 12/21/2009 8:32:50 PM

dgk
December 22nd 09, 03:24 PM
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 13:40:21 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>>

>> One piece of good news is that one of my neighbors took Pretty Girl to
>> the vet on Friday and she is being fixed. So at least she got to be in
>> a nice warm cage during the blizzard rather than outside. Of course,
>> she probably doesn't see it that way.
>>
>> So Scooter and Pretty Girl are fixed - now we just have to take care
>> of Jet. And I think the babies are due to head to a shelter pretty
>> soon. They're just at that completely adorable, easily adoptable,
>> stage.
>
>Excellent news. If you were married to me every last one of those cats would
>have been inside, warm and fed, and you would have enough cat boxes not to
>stress out your cats, too.

The problem is that there are always more cats outside. We can't take
them all in. Otherwise we end up as some sort of sensational article
in the New York Post. Jet would not make a good housecat at all; she
is just too feral. It's odd because she is likely Scooter's baby, and
Scooter is so friendly.

More good news though. One of my neighbors called to tell me that Jet,
Scooter, and the kds, are all in the backyard of another neighbor. Two
days in a row with no cats outside my front door though. Very strange
but they're being fed where they are.

Another neigbhor saw me handling the kittens on Sunday and told me
that she is seriously considering taking them in. That would be good.
While they are very adoptable from a shelter, that would mean that two
other cats don't get adopted. Better if they stay out of the system
completely.

dgk
December 22nd 09, 03:26 PM
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 12:24:07 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>>
>>> I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>>> instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>>> took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>>> walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>>>
>>> Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>>> had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>>> Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>>>
>>> My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>>> that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>>> there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>>> increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>>> two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>>>
>>> I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>>> two feet by 16 inches.
>>>
>>> Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>>> prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>>> the four of them in there.
>>

>> Big snow! Just before it hit on Saturday, Scooter came into the
>> hallway and didn't want to go back out - but his family was in the box
>> so I couldn't see bringing him in; they need him. Everyone was back in
>> the box. But Sunday morning only the babies were there. All day Sunday
>> they kept coming out and I fed them - almost took them in but they
>> seemed to be doing fine. I kept expecting to see Scooter and Jet
>> return to the box but they are somewhere else.
>>
>> This morning no one was in the box. Apparently mom came by during the
>> night and took them somewhere else. I'm worried about all of them of
>> course but I figure they'll turn up soon.
>>
>> One piece of good news is that one of my neighbors took Pretty Girl to
>> the vet on Friday and she is being fixed. So at least she got to be in
>> a nice warm cage during the blizzard rather than outside. Of course,
>> she probably doesn't see it that way.
>>
>> So Scooter and Pretty Girl are fixed - now we just have to take care
>> of Jet. And I think the babies are due to head to a shelter pretty
>> soon. They're just at that completely adorable, easily adoptable,
>> stage.
>>

>I hope these cats get enough time to recover from their surgeries before
>having to live in the out again.
>best wishes. MLB

I had Scooter done a few weeks back. The vet said I could let him out
immediately but I kept him in the Cat Introduction Room for a few days
anyway.

I'm sure the neighbors that did Pretty Girl are not sending her out
until she is completely healed and it warms up a bit.

dgk
December 22nd 09, 03:32 PM
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 02:32:50 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>
>>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>>instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>>took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>>walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>>
>>Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>>had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>>Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>>
>>My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>>that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>>there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>>increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>>two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>>
>>I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>>two feet by 16 inches.
>>
>>Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>>prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>>the four of them in there.
>
>Cats get easily burned lying directly on a heating pad; it happened to
>my cat once.
>
>I have a 'heated bed' for my cat, since I turn the heat down to 55F at
>night. There are now 4 layers of old towels on it, and it's set to it's
>lowest setting.
>
>Thank you for taking care of these cats during the cold weather!
>
>Few feral cats are this lucky!

This is a special pad designed for outdoor pets:
http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/7598

It's hard rather than the soft kind we normally use, so they can't
chew or rip it. It's supposed to stay a bit above ambient temperature
until a cat lies on it and then maxes out at 102F. It does seem to do
that - when I put a hand on it it feels just a bit warm and as I leave
it there it gets warmer.

There is some room for the cats to lie off of it but not enough - so I
put a mink wrap over half of it (the wrap came with the house).
However, the cats apparently decided that they don't like mink and
threw it outside.

Gandalf
December 22nd 09, 09:20 PM
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 10:32:31 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 02:32:50 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 08:42:02 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>>
>>>I built the box for Scooter but Jet and her two babies moved in
>>>instead. Then they moved out when the babies started walking - Jet
>>>took them to the backyards where it is safer for kittens learning to
>>>walk around. Scooter moved into the vacated box.
>>>
>>>Now that cold weather really hit, I put in the heating pad and Scooter
>>>had the box to himself for a few weeks. For the last two days Jet,
>>>Scooter, and the babies have all been living in the box.
>>>
>>>My plan was to move Scooter into the house when it got really cold but
>>>that is going to be tough since it would break up the family. Plus
>>>there is a certain amount of resistance from the Significant Other to
>>>increasing the indoor cat population to four. We used to always have
>>>two, but I took in Marlo a few years back on a very cold February day.
>>>
>>>I think I might need to build a bigger box. The current one is only
>>>two feet by 16 inches.
>>>
>>>Oddly, they threw out the Mink that I used as a liner. I guess they
>>>prefer to lie directly on the heating pad. It must be pretty cozy with
>>>the four of them in there.
>>
>>Cats get easily burned lying directly on a heating pad; it happened to
>>my cat once.
>>
>>I have a 'heated bed' for my cat, since I turn the heat down to 55F at
>>night. There are now 4 layers of old towels on it, and it's set to it's
>>lowest setting.
>>
>>Thank you for taking care of these cats during the cold weather!
>>
>>Few feral cats are this lucky!
>>

>This is a special pad designed for outdoor pets:
>http://www.comfortchannel.com/prod.itml/icOid/7598
>
>It's hard rather than the soft kind we normally use, so they can't
>chew or rip it. It's supposed to stay a bit above ambient temperature
>until a cat lies on it and then maxes out at 102F. It does seem to do
>that - when I put a hand on it it feels just a bit warm and as I leave
>it there it gets warmer.
>
>There is some room for the cats to lie off of it but not enough - so I
>put a mink wrap over half of it (the wrap came with the house).
>However, the cats apparently decided that they don't like mink and
>threw it outside.

I see; you went the VERY deluxe and expensive(!) route, but much better,
(and safer!) for the cats than using a $15 heating pad from Walmart,
like I did for my now elderly, indoor only cat. And no risk of getting a
burn.

I was lucky: my cat's burn was fairly small, and not very serious. I
took her to the vet, because she was licking it, like cats always do. No
infection, though.

Fortunately for me, she has never chewed on anything; there are LOTS of
computer cables, and all sorts of wiring for speakers, etc. behind the
sofa. And some extension cords, too.

Where I live, it gets down to -20F for 4 or 5, up to 20 nights every
winter. Sometimes colder. I do not understand how true feral cats can
survive it, and find enough food to maintain body heat.

All the normal prey are UNDER the 55 inches of snow we get on average,
every winter.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091222-1, 12/22/2009
Tested on: 12/22/2009 3:20:20 PM

dgk
December 23rd 09, 01:56 PM
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:20:19 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:

>Where I live, it gets down to -20F for 4 or 5, up to 20 nights every
>winter. Sometimes colder. I do not understand how true feral cats can
>survive it, and find enough food to maintain body heat.
>
>All the normal prey are UNDER the 55 inches of snow we get on average,
>every winter.

I'm sure plenty of them don't survive it. -20. That is too cold. They
can't even dig to cover their poop.

Bill Graham
December 23rd 09, 08:29 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:20:19 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:
>

>>Where I live, it gets down to -20F for 4 or 5, up to 20 nights every
>>winter. Sometimes colder. I do not understand how true feral cats can
>>survive it, and find enough food to maintain body heat.
>>
>>All the normal prey are UNDER the 55 inches of snow we get on average,
>>every winter.
>>

> I'm sure plenty of them don't survive it. -20. That is too cold. They
> can't even dig to cover their poop.

It never gets that cold here where I live, but I have noticed that the feral
cats know where to find warmth and use it.......Ours spent a lot of time on
the neighbors hot tub cover, and under the heat pump house where it is warm
from the motor that circulates fluid through the heating/air conditioning
system. They are also good at crawling underneath houses and sleeping on the
hoods of parked cars and the like......IOW, they know where humans make
heat, and are not shy about using it......

cybercat
December 23rd 09, 09:11 PM
"dgk" > wrote :>

> More good news though. One of my neighbors called to tell me that Jet,
> Scooter, and the kds, are all in the backyard of another neighbor. Two
> days in a row with no cats outside my front door though. Very strange
> but they're being fed where they are.
>
> Another neigbhor saw me handling the kittens on Sunday and told me
> that she is seriously considering taking them in. That would be good.
> While they are very adoptable from a shelter, that would mean that two
> other cats don't get adopted. Better if they stay out of the system
> completely.

Excellent news.

dgk
December 24th 09, 01:40 PM
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:29:59 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:20:19 GMT, (Gandalf) wrote:
>>

>>>Where I live, it gets down to -20F for 4 or 5, up to 20 nights every
>>>winter. Sometimes colder. I do not understand how true feral cats can
>>>survive it, and find enough food to maintain body heat.
>>>
>>>All the normal prey are UNDER the 55 inches of snow we get on average,
>>>every winter.
>>>

>> I'm sure plenty of them don't survive it. -20. That is too cold. They
>> can't even dig to cover their poop.
>
>It never gets that cold here where I live, but I have noticed that the feral
>cats know where to find warmth and use it.......Ours spent a lot of time on
>the neighbors hot tub cover, and under the heat pump house where it is warm
>from the motor that circulates fluid through the heating/air conditioning
>system. They are also good at crawling underneath houses and sleeping on the
>hoods of parked cars and the like......IOW, they know where humans make
>heat, and are not shy about using it......

I haven't seen Scooter or the rest of the family since Sunday morning.
I did hear from one neighbor that they were ok and hanging out in
someone else's backyard. I get home too late to prowl around in the
dark, but I did stop by a neighbor down the block when I got home
yesterday.

Pretty Girl was in the house, having come home from being fixed and
getting all her shots. Normally she is skittish around me but she came
over and was very friendly. They can't let her out for another day or
two so she seems to be going a bit crazy. Open any door and she's
there trying to get out. She doesn't know that it's too cold to want
to be outside.

They've been feeding Scooter and the rest of the family. The woman who
is doing the actual TNR work is coming by to get two more - Jet and
maybe Smoky. Jet (the mom of the two kittens) might very well be
pregnant again so she is a prime candiate.

Our houses have a short flight of steps in the backyard leading down
to the basement. Several homeowners have installed a storm cover that
can be lowered to keep out water and raised to allow the steps to be
used. Apparently the family is staying under one that is broken so
they can get in but is enclosed enough to keep out the water (and
snow) and retain some heat leaking from the house. They are very
clever at finding heat and shelter.

I'm going to visit them over the weekend. I'll bring them their
presents.