PDA

View Full Version : Poinsettias


Peter Black
December 19th 09, 05:42 PM
Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
plant?

Matthew[_3_]
December 19th 09, 05:54 PM
"Peter Black" > wrote in message
...
> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
> plant?

YES

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats

Peter Black
December 20th 09, 03:39 AM
Good site and good advice. Thank-you.

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:54:55 -0500, "Matthew"
> wrote:

>
>"Peter Black" > wrote in message
...
>> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
>> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
>> plant?
>
>YES
>
>http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/?plant_toxicity=toxic-to-cats
>

Netmask[_2_]
December 20th 09, 04:27 AM
On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
> plant?

Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb all
over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no problems
- maybe they know not to nibble?


Typical size around my area although these shots are not local

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2321423460041190181IWqkYH
http://mariposanursery.com/images/plants/trees/frangipani.jpg

MLB[_2_]
December 20th 09, 06:04 AM
Netmask wrote:
> On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
>> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
>> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
>> plant?
>
> Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
> poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
> cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb all
> over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no problems
> - maybe they know not to nibble?
>
>
> Typical size around my area although these shots are not local
>
> http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2321423460041190181IWqkYH
> http://mariposanursery.com/images/plants/trees/frangipani.jpg



They are trees --not plants. I had no idea they would grow so large. MLB

Netmask[_2_]
December 20th 09, 09:59 AM
On 20/12/2009 17:04, MLB wrote:
> Netmask wrote:
>> On 20/12/2009 04:42, Peter Black wrote:
>>> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
>>> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
>>> plant?
>>
>> Not a good plant for cats although where I live in Sydney there are
>> poinsettia and frangipani all over the place and plenty of suburban
>> cats. When i was kid the cats would sit in the poinsettia and climb
>> all over the frangipani all of which were quite big. Apparently no
>> problems - maybe they know not to nibble?
>>
>>
>> Typical size around my area although these shots are not local
>>
>> http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2321423460041190181IWqkYH
>> http://mariposanursery.com/images/plants/trees/frangipani.jpg
>
>
>
> They are trees --not plants. I had no idea they would grow so large. MLB
yes i know they are tree's in this part of the world they are referred
to as trees but in colder climates plants - cold is known to shrink many
things....

Kelly Greene
December 20th 09, 07:28 PM
"Peter Black" > wrote in message
...
> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
> plant?

I have mine in a room where our girls can't get to them. No sense taking a
chance. ;-)

Kelly Greene
December 20th 09, 07:32 PM
"Netmask" > wrote in message
...
MLB
> yes i know they are tree's in this part of the world they are referred to
> as trees but in colder climates plants - cold is known to shrink many
> things....


My MIL had a few around her house in Florida and they were huge bushy things
covered in flowers every winter.

Bill Graham
December 21st 09, 02:54 AM
"Peter Black" > wrote in message
...
> Friends have given us a beautiful poinsettia for Christmas. Would
> someone please tell me if cats are likely to chew this poisonous
> plant.

I read recently that poinsettias aren't really poisonous....That this was
an, "old wives tale"......Try googling it to find out.....