PDA

View Full Version : Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection recall

cl
December 22nd 09, 10:44 AM
Teva Animal Health, Inc. is expanding a nationwide voluntary recall of
Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP CIII 100mg/mL in 10mL vials for
all lot numbers within their expiration dates to the Veterinary Level.
This product had previously been recalled to the distributor level and
is being expanded as a result of an increased trend in serious adverse
events associated with this product.

More info at: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm195118.htm

Gandalf
December 22nd 09, 05:14 PM
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 01:44:19 -0800, cl > wrote:

>Teva Animal Health, Inc. is expanding a nationwide voluntary recall of
>Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP CIII 100mg/mL in 10mL vials for
>all lot numbers within their expiration dates to the Veterinary Level.
>This product had previously been recalled to the distributor level and
>is being expanded as a result of an increased trend in serious adverse
>events associated with this product.
>
>More info at: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm195118.htm

For many years, I have insisted on (and paid extra for) isoflurane
anesthesia for my cats.

Ketamine is cheap, "relatively" safe (for young cats, anyway) and very
easy to administer. But it's also hallucinogenic, and nasty, and hard on
cats when they wake up.

I used it on many, many cats, when I worked for a veterinarian.

Some cats would just go completely crazy when they were waking up from
it. I had to put on heavy leather gloves, and 'restrain' the cats, so
they wouldn't hurt themselves. It was just horrible.

And, at a busy clinic that sees many cats, 1 to 3 apparently healthy
young cats/kittens die from it, every year.

I don't consider that an acceptable risk.

And now, a very large amount of it is being recalled.

"Serious adverse events".

What an unbelievably callous euphemism for CATS ARE DYING FROM IT.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 091222-0, 12/22/2009
Tested on: 12/22/2009 10:14:42 AM