PDA

View Full Version : Are Cats Maybe the Only Creature on the Planet...

Mark Earnest
December 23rd 09, 06:54 AM
....that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
anyone.

I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

dgk
December 23rd 09, 01:58 PM
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:54:46 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> wrote:

>...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>
>My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
>anyone.
>
>I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
added benefit of catnip.

Bill Graham
December 23rd 09, 08:22 PM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>
> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
> from anyone.
>
> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
dreams.....

Mark Earnest
December 23rd 09, 09:55 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
>> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>>
>> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>> from anyone.
>>
>> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>>

> If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
> dreams.....

Well I may have been exaggerating just a little...and my cat is
an adolescent cat, maybe they are more active.

Mark Earnest
December 23rd 09, 09:57 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:54:46 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>
>>...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>>ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>>
>>My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>>from
>>anyone.
>>
>>I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>>

> They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
> nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
> something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
> apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
> added benefit of catnip.

Maybe they are honing their skills for real rats and mice.

jmc
December 23rd 09, 10:54 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):
> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>
> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
> anyone.
>
> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
work, to no avail.

Ah, well. :)

jmc

Bill Graham
December 23rd 09, 11:28 PM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
netamerica...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
>>> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>>> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>>>
>>> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>>> from anyone.
>>>
>>> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>>>

>> If my 5 cats "entertain themselves for hours", it must be in their
>> dreams.....
>

> Well I may have been exaggerating just a little...and my cat is
> an adolescent cat, maybe they are more active.

Yes. I was only commenting on the act that they seem to sleep like 20 hours
a day. My wife does seem to be able to get them to play with various fake
birds she dangles over their heads on strings, but for the most part, their
favorite activity by far, is sleeping.....

Mark Earnest
December 24th 09, 05:31 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):
>> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>>
>> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>> from anyone.
>>
>> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>
> I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
> unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
> her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
> work, to no avail.
>
> Ah, well. :)
>
> jmc

Maybe get her another cat. I think that is what activated my cat, when
she spent time with her litter mates and her mother, playing with them
for several months before she was by herself.

Her and her mom would chase each other through the house, then play
attack each other in an apparently full clawed assault with all fours,
and then fall asleep between each others' paws.

Now that the mother cat is gone, she is still in the habit of playing.
And I love watching her. But I still think she needs another cat.

T[_4_]
December 24th 09, 06:11 AM
In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:54:46 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>
> >...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
> >ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
> >
> >My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help from
> >anyone.
> >
> >I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
> >

> They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
> nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
> something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
> apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
> added benefit of catnip.

They have brains about the size of an unshelled walnut.

Mark Earnest
December 24th 09, 06:30 AM
"T" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 00:54:46 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>> >ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>> >
>> >My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>> >from
>> >anyone.
>> >
>> >I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>> >

>> They have simple brains and they're all weird. One of mine was going
>> nuts this morning attacking a small play mouse. But at least it looked
>> something like a mouse. Another one was going nuts last night ripping
>> apart a napkin. Absolutely ripped it to shreds. Both were without the
>> added benefit of catnip.
>
> They have brains about the size of an unshelled walnut.

Elephants have gargantuan brains, far bigger than ours.
Yet we rule them.

Allan Smith
December 24th 09, 09:46 AM
Bill,

Cats typically sleep from 13 to 18 hours a day, depending on age.

http://www.vetinfo.com/cat-sleeping-patterns.html

Some up to 20 hours when older.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat#Behavior

Factoid: The earliest direct evidence of domestication of the cat was a
kitten found buried with its owner around 7,500 BC in Cyprus, though DNA has
established that all modern cats trace back to 5 female African Wildcats
circa 8000 BC in the Near East.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

dgk
December 24th 09, 01:28 PM
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:31:12 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> wrote:

>"jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):
>>> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>>> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>>>
>>> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
>>> from anyone.
>>>
>>> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.
>>
>> I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
>> unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
>> her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
>> work, to no avail.
>>
>> Ah, well. :)
>>
>> jmc
>
>Maybe get her another cat. I think that is what activated my cat, when
>she spent time with her litter mates and her mother, playing with them
>for several months before she was by herself.
>
>Her and her mom would chase each other through the house, then play
>attack each other in an apparently full clawed assault with all fours,
>and then fall asleep between each others' paws.
>
>Now that the mother cat is gone, she is still in the habit of playing.
>And I love watching her. But I still think she needs another cat.

There was some sort of late night maneuver last night. I'm not sure if
someone saw something out the window but it sounded like all three
cats were flying up and down the stairs. Usually only two are involved
in any single brawl so this was a bit out of the ordinary. I took a
quick look around but didn't see anything clearly wrong so I went back
to sleep. This morning I see that they managed to knock a few books
off a shelf but nothing beyond that.

jmc
December 24th 09, 08:52 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (12/24/2009 8:28 AM):
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:31:12 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (12/23/2009 1:54 AM):

>>> I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with anything
>>> unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I keep buying
>>> her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're sleeping and at
>>> work, to no avail.
>>>
>>> Ah, well. :)
>>>
>>> jmc
>> Maybe get her another cat. I think that is what activated my cat, when
>> she spent time with her litter mates and her mother, playing with them
>> for several months before she was by herself.
>>
>> Her and her mom would chase each other through the house, then play
>> attack each other in an apparently full clawed assault with all fours,
>> and then fall asleep between each others' paws.
>>
>> Now that the mother cat is gone, she is still in the habit of playing.
>> And I love watching her. But I still think she needs another cat.
>>

> There was some sort of late night maneuver last night. I'm not sure if
> someone saw something out the window but it sounded like all three
> cats were flying up and down the stairs. Usually only two are involved
> in any single brawl so this was a bit out of the ordinary. I took a
> quick look around but didn't see anything clearly wrong so I went back
> to sleep. This morning I see that they managed to knock a few books
> off a shelf but nothing beyond that.

Do you get raccoons? Generally when I hear Meep making a ruckus, one or
more of them are out on our deck.

jmc

Kelly Greene
December 25th 09, 07:23 AM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>
> My adolescent cat sure does keep himself amused for hours, with no help
> from anyone.
>
> I envy that little creature. Maybe I can learn from her.

Wonderful amazing little creatures aren't they? :-) Mine can amuse
themselves all evening by simply running around the house chasing each other
over the furniture and up and down the large Petco Cat Condo..........

jmc
December 25th 09, 08:51 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (12/25/2009 2:26 AM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>
>> I wish mine would, at least sometimes. She will not play with
>> anything unless I'm at the other end of it. She's an only cat and I
>> keep buying her toys so she has something to occupy her while we're
>> sleeping and at work, to no avail.
>>
>> Ah, well. :)
>

> Why not get her a companion? Two are no more work than one and a lot
> more fun.

Because she's been an only cat for so very long (nearing 14 years), and
is very timid; I'm not convinced she'd accept an interloper. I've
thought about it, though, for a very long time. I've even looked for a
companion, but have not met quite the right cat, yet.

jmc

dejablues[_4_]
December 29th 09, 03:18 AM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?

That describes every human toddler I've ever encountered.

Mark Earnest
December 29th 09, 04:57 AM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
>> ...that can entertain itself for hours with things it finds on the
>> ground...without any help from fellow creatures?
>
> That describes every human toddler I've ever encountered.

Well, a lot of folks compare their animals to children.

dgk
December 29th 09, 01:17 PM
On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 15:52:43 -0500, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, dgk exclaimed (12/24/2009 8:28 AM):
>> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 23:31:12 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
>> > wrote:

>>> Maybe get her another cat. I think that is what activated my cat, when
>>> she spent time with her litter mates and her mother, playing with them
>>> for several months before she was by herself.
>>>
>>> Her and her mom would chase each other through the house, then play
>>> attack each other in an apparently full clawed assault with all fours,
>>> and then fall asleep between each others' paws.
>>>
>>> Now that the mother cat is gone, she is still in the habit of playing.
>>> And I love watching her. But I still think she needs another cat.
>>>

>> There was some sort of late night maneuver last night. I'm not sure if
>> someone saw something out the window but it sounded like all three
>> cats were flying up and down the stairs. Usually only two are involved
>> in any single brawl so this was a bit out of the ordinary. I took a
>> quick look around but didn't see anything clearly wrong so I went back
>> to sleep. This morning I see that they managed to knock a few books
>> off a shelf but nothing beyond that.
>
>Do you get raccoons? Generally when I hear Meep making a ruckus, one or
>more of them are out on our deck.
>
>jmc

That might be the case. One night over the long weekend there was a
screaming tirade outside that I know is the sound of raccoons either
fighting or making love. It was around 3 AM and I was woken up and
looking out the window when my neighbor flipped on an outside
floodlight. That stopped the noise but I didn't see anything.

The last time this happened the raccoons stuck around until it got
light enough to take some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Ignore the bathroom ones which have to do with renovating the mess,
although Marlo snuck into one of those. The raccoon pictures come
later. It looked to me like a youngster climbed onto the awning next
door but couldn't figure out how to get back down - mom came up to
help him/her.