PDA

View Full Version : Disaster! I am SO allergic to Scooter!

dgk
January 4th 10, 03:09 PM
Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
very bad allergy days.

Scooter is just about the sweetest cat I've ever known. He loves being
handled and rolls over for belly rubs constantly. Just a great cat.
But this is a huge problem.

I took him to the vet on Saturday because he's been making very weird
noises and seems to be trying to cough up a hairball. Plus his farts
could kill. Probably nothing but I wanted to check. The vet says that
he's fine and gave him a deworming plus a steroid and antibiotic just
in case he has some minor problem. He says that several stool samples
could be negative for parasites but he could still have worms so it's
best to just give the deworming gunk.

But I couldn't stand being near him. My eyes tear, my nose runs, and
everything itches. I have a headache. I bought some loratadine
(Claritin) and will give that a chance to work but it did nothing over
the weekend. I ended up taking a lot of benadryl which helps but makes
me sleepy. I couldn't sleep last night, partly because I was feeling
so crappy but also because I'm agonizing about having to put Scooter
out of the house. The Significant Other has no reaction at all.

He was sleeping at the foot of the bed around 1am and I picked him up
and put him in the Cat Introduction Room. Almost immediately I felt
better and slept the rest of the night. It might have been more
benadryl kicking in but it sure seems that when he comes near I
immediately have symptoms.

I'm also worried because it seems that Espy is also allergic to him.
He has been sneezing a bit and acting like his sense of smell is a bit
impaired (failing to locate a Temptation for instance). Can a cat be
allergic to another cat?

When I left this morning he wanted to go outside so I let him go but
no one will be home until around 9 PM to let him back in. It's 20F or
so outside but Pretty Girl was in my backyard this morning so I know
they can deal with it. Scooter does still have his heated box by the
front door.

Still, I'd like to keep him in as much as possible. Well, that's the
story. Does anyone have advice on how to limit allergies? I'm
certainly considering getting a Hepa system but the house is rarely
very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
one in the living room would likely help.

My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
towel with the liquid stuff tonight.

I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves
a home.

cybercat
January 4th 10, 08:26 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> [...]
> they can deal with it. Scooter does still have his heated box by the
> front door.
>
> Still, I'd like to keep him in as much as possible. Well, that's the
> story. Does anyone have advice on how to limit allergies? I'm
> certainly considering getting a Hepa system but the house is rarely
> very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
> one in the living room would likely help.
>
> My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
> that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
> effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
> sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
> towel with the liquid stuff tonight.
>
> I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
> have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves

I don't know, dude, you just seem to have one emergency after another. I am
allergic to cats, loratidine covers it for the most part. I am not totally
comfortable all the time, but it is a trade-off.

Buddy's Mom
January 4th 10, 10:36 PM
Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
- apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
something and we aren't sneezing.

I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
groomer. See if that doesn't help.

I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
having them!

Allan Smith
January 4th 10, 11:15 PM
dgk,

His solicitousness seems oriented to an abdominal problem he knows he has
but can't do anything about. He's telling you his stomach hurts.

Other cats know when one of them has parasites. It sounds like you have a
good vet. Give the vet time to do his thing.

If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.

If you don't want him, get him healthy, then find someone who does.

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

"dgk" > wrote in message
> Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many

cybercat
January 5th 10, 12:03 AM
"Allan Smith" > wrote

> If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.

Zyrtec (sp) might work. Also, rince your face and eyes often with cool
water. Taking a shower helps too. I imagine with the other impediments in
the house, Scooter is history, though.

Cheryl[_3_]
January 5th 10, 03:03 AM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
> weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
> - apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
> something and we aren't sneezing.
>
> I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
> groomer. See if that doesn't help.
>
> I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
> having them!

Very good point. My house is extremely dry these last couple of weeks and
I've been miserable. I finally got out the humidifier tonight and already
feel better. Humidity in my house was at 22% tonight. That's horrible.
It's finally up over 30% now. I think you may be on to something if dgk
doesn't have a humidifier. Even my sensitive teeth have been suffering.
Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird, huh.

cybercat
January 5th 10, 05:11 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
> searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird,
> huh.

Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.

---MIKE---
January 5th 10, 01:27 PM
I have been running a humidifier for the last month. I keep it at 55
percent. I have to add about a gallon a day to the humidifier,

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44į 15' N - Elevation 1580')

dgk
January 5th 10, 03:01 PM
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:11:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote
>> Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
>> searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird,
>> huh.
>
>Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.

I did have the humidifier on last night and today and perhaps it
helps.

I wouldn't mind having to take Claritin or something if that will make
it pretty much go away.Yesterday I took a lorawhatever (Claritin),
Actifed, and benadryl and I really did feel better but I can't do that
long term.

My understanding is that it takes a while for Claritin to work so it
may be ok by itself. I'm seeing my doctor today to see what he says.

dgk
January 5th 10, 03:05 PM
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:03:43 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Allan Smith" > wrote
>>
>> If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.
>>

>Zyrtec (sp) might work. Also, rince your face and eyes often with cool
>water. Taking a shower helps too. I imagine with the other impediments in
>the house, Scooter is history, though.

Well, Marlo would certainly be happy and the others wouldn't hold any
protest marches. Still, I took him in because I really like him but he
is now fighting something of an uphill battle to stay inside.

It's really odd watching Marlo. She just stares at him like he's some
sort of alien artifact.

dgk
January 5th 10, 03:07 PM
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:15:05 -0500, "Allan Smith"
> wrote:

>dgk,
>
>His solicitousness seems oriented to an abdominal problem he knows he has
>but can't do anything about. He's telling you his stomach hurts.
>
>Other cats know when one of them has parasites. It sounds like you have a
>good vet. Give the vet time to do his thing.

I'll keep that in mind but I don't think that's it. He is a very solid
cat and parasites should drain some of that. Nipsy also likes to lie
on his back with his tummy exposed. It's almost impossible to pass by
without a quick rub.

The smell has gone away so perhaps it was some worm that got nailed by
the dewormer.

dgk
January 5th 10, 03:24 PM
On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:36:16 -0800 (PST), "Buddy's Mom"
> wrote:

>Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
>weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
>- apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
>something and we aren't sneezing.
>
>I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
>groomer. See if that doesn't help.
>
>I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
>having them!

Perhaps I can get used to this but it better get better. As it is I
can hardly get any work done.i88888888888888889 that was Scooter
walking on the keyboard - now he's rubbing my hands as I type. I'll
need to wash them before I touch my eyes.

No one suggested a HEPA filter. I've been checking around and the more
expensive ones ($300+) get high ratings. I'd prefer not to send that
of course but if it really helps then I'll do it.

At least one in the bedroom would be good. I've read that I should ban
the cats from the bedroom but that's the room with the good view of
the backyard. I can't do that. I suppose I could just ban Scooter but
that is unworkable. I could (and have) locked him in a room for the
night and perhaps that is the best solution at least for sleeping.

Oddly though, I went to work yesterday and felt worse instead of
better as the day wore on. Maybe some of the dander was on my clothes?
I have noticed that sometimes the air in those buildings does make me
feel crappier than I already feel. Or maybe I'm just allergic to work.

cybercat
January 5th 10, 03:49 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:11:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Cheryl" > wrote
>>> Dentist today and they couldn't find anything on the xrays and my web
>>> searches found that dehydration can cause sensitivity in teeth. Weird,
>>> huh.
>>
>>Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.
>>

> I did have the humidifier on last night and today and perhaps it
> helps.
>
> I wouldn't mind having to take Claritin or something if that will make
> it pretty much go away.Yesterday I took a lorawhatever (Claritin),
> Actifed, and benadryl and I really did feel better but I can't do that
> long term.
>
> My understanding is that it takes a while for Claritin to work so it
> may be ok by itself. I'm seeing my doctor today to see what he says.

I think your doctor might tell you that you should not take those three
things together. Choose one and take it. If it does not work well, try
another. Benedryl is out of the question for me because it just makes me
sleep. Zyrtec is the strongest of the OTC allergy pills, to me, and is
supposed to relieve symptoms of plant and dust, mold, and animal
dander/saliva allergies. It is actually too strong for me. As far as I know,
claritin/loratidine has an immediate effect. At least it does for me.

cybercat
January 5th 10, 03:51 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 18:03:43 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Allan Smith" > wrote
>>>
>>> If Claritin doesn't work, try another anti-allergin.
>>>

>>Zyrtec (sp) might work. Also, rince your face and eyes often with cool
>>water. Taking a shower helps too. I imagine with the other impediments in
>>the house, Scooter is history, though.
>>

> Well, Marlo would certainly be happy and the others wouldn't hold any
> protest marches. Still, I took him in because I really like him but he
> is now fighting something of an uphill battle to stay inside.

He is not fighting anything. You are just dangling a carrot you cannot
deliver. Find him a home. You should not have three cats and one cat box,
anyway.

cybercat
January 5th 10, 03:52 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:36:16 -0800 (PST), "Buddy's Mom"
> > wrote:
>

> Perhaps I can get used to this but it better get better. As it is I
> can hardly get any work done.i88888888888888889 that was Scooter
> walking on the keyboard - now he's rubbing my hands as I type. I'll
> need to wash them before I touch my eyes.

Please find him a home before he gets any more attached to you. He deserves
it.

MaryL
January 6th 10, 04:08 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> [...]
> they can deal with it. Scooter does still have his heated box by the
> front door.
>
> Still, I'd like to keep him in as much as possible. Well, that's the
> story. Does anyone have advice on how to limit allergies? I'm
> certainly considering getting a Hepa system but the house is rarely
> very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
> one in the living room would likely help.
>
> My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
> that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
> effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
> sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
> towel with the liquid stuff tonight.
>
> I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
> have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves

First: I agree with those who suggested a humidifier. I noticed in one of
your messages that you have now tried that, but you would need to try it for
some time and perhaps in both the bedroom and in whatever other room you use
most often. I have been sneezing a lot lately, but it has nothing to do
with my cats--that happens in winter, when the air is dry. I sometimes even
get nosebleeds when the nasal membranes dry out too much in the winter. I
have learned to recognize the symptoms and will use ointment to prevent
nosebleeds, but that does show the effect that winter's dry air (actually,
dry air in the house from heating systems) can cause.

Second: I wholeheartedly agree that you should try to locate a good home for
Scooter *now* if this is only a half-hearted attempt to solve the problem.
If this is just a prelude to a decision to evict him, you should find a
loving home before he becomes too attached to you. He sounds like a
wonderful cat, and he deserves to find someone to love him and give him a
good home. He deserves to be brought indoors and not lose his new place.

MaryL

dgk
January 6th 10, 03:53 PM
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:49:56 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 23:11:39 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Cheryl" > wrote
>>>
>>>Which brings us to another way to help allergies--drink more.
>>>

>> I did have the humidifier on last night and today and perhaps it
>> helps.
>>
>> I wouldn't mind having to take Claritin or something if that will make
>> it pretty much go away.Yesterday I took a lorawhatever (Claritin),
>> Actifed, and benadryl and I really did feel better but I can't do that
>> long term.
>>
>> My understanding is that it takes a while for Claritin to work so it
>> may be ok by itself. I'm seeing my doctor today to see what he says.
>
>I think your doctor might tell you that you should not take those three
>things together. Choose one and take it. If it does not work well, try
>another. Benedryl is out of the question for me because it just makes me
>sleep. Zyrtec is the strongest of the OTC allergy pills, to me, and is
>supposed to relieve symptoms of plant and dust, mold, and animal
>dander/saliva allergies. It is actually too strong for me. As far as I know,
>claritin/loratidine has an immediate effect. At least it does for me.

The best possible news from the doctor - he says that he saw ten
people today with my symptoms and I probably just have a cold also.
It's hard to tell of course, without blood tests, but since I feel so
crappy he thinks it likely that it isn't allergy after all. I think
I'm even running a slight fever.

It's an odd cold then - mostly mine start with a scratchy throat and
then start moving around. This one has just centered in the sinuses
and refuses to budge. My lungs are absolutely clear - I guess this is
what is called a Head Cold.

I can't ever recall hoping to have a cold but I was home all yesterday
with Scooter lying next to me on the bed and certainly felt no worse
with him there. I even tried petting him and touching my eyes and they
didn't tear. I woke up this morning with Nipsy on one side, Scooter on
the other, and Marlo between my feet. Espy, as usual, was somewhere
around.

My doctor has giiven me Nasonex to spray in the nose and told me that
it's all right to continue the Claritin. We'll see in a few days if
the cold gets better but I think he's probably right.

I likely would have kept Scooter anyway - I was already looking into
some very expensive HEPA air cleaner/purifiers. Here's what I've found
for Cat Allergy sufferers:

1) Cat Dander is among the smallest of the allergens, and floats in
the air for long periods of time.

2) A good HEPA air cleaner will trap most of those particles and an
air purifier will kill mold, bacteria, and viruses.

3) $120 - $150 department store HEPA air cleaners (Honeywell, Bonaire,
etc) are not sufficient to really help much. They don't filter the air
more than two or three times per hour.

4) The good brands are Blueair, Alen, IOAir, and a few others. The
purifiers run $300 - $800 and cover fairly large areas and filter the
air 10 or more times per hour. They also have large charcol filters
whereas the crappy brands have tiny filters that are really just a
sales gimmick.

The good ones also are quiet so you'll actually keep them on all the
time, even while you sleep. You do get what you pay for I guess.

By the way Cyber, did you know that Benedryl is the exact same product
as Simply Sleep? I always get a laugh out of that. Pink or blue pill,
the same stuff.

Well, I'm in work today only because I have a training class I can't
miss. I'll probably go home soon after that and pet Scooter. Too bad
it's a four hour class.

MLB[_2_]
January 7th 10, 01:55 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 13:36:16 -0800 (PST), "Buddy's Mom"
> > wrote:
>
>> Where do you live? I am in Ohio and it has been very cold over the
>> weekend. I noticed that my husband and I AND our kitty were sneezing
>> - apparently from the dry air in the house. Today it warmed to 20
>> something and we aren't sneezing.
>>
>> I think I would try giving the kitty a bath - either yourself, or the
>> groomer. See if that doesn't help.
>>
>> I am and have always been allergic to cats, but I don't let that stop
>> having them!
>
> Perhaps I can get used to this but it better get better. As it is I
> can hardly get any work done.i88888888888888889 that was Scooter
> walking on the keyboard - now he's rubbing my hands as I type. I'll
> need to wash them before I touch my eyes.
>
> No one suggested a HEPA filter. I've been checking around and the more
> expensive ones ($300+) get high ratings. I'd prefer not to send that
> of course but if it really helps then I'll do it.
>
> At least one in the bedroom would be good. I've read that I should ban
> the cats from the bedroom but that's the room with the good view of
> the backyard. I can't do that. I suppose I could just ban Scooter but
> that is unworkable. I could (and have) locked him in a room for the
> night and perhaps that is the best solution at least for sleeping.
>
> Oddly though, I went to work yesterday and felt worse instead of
> better as the day wore on. Maybe some of the dander was on my clothes?
> I have noticed that sometimes the air in those buildings does make me
> feel crappier than I already feel. Or maybe I'm just allergic to work.

Any smokers in your area? That can really give me problems. MLB

D. K. Kraft[_3_]
January 7th 10, 09:50 PM
With patience akin to a cat's, dgk, on 1/6/2010 6:53 AM typed:
[snippage]

> 4) The good brands are Blueair, Alen, IOAir, and a few others. The
> purifiers run $300 - $800 and cover fairly large areas and filter the
> air 10 or more times per hour. They also have large charcol filters
> whereas the crappy brands have tiny filters that are really just a
> sales gimmick.
>
> The good ones also are quiet so you'll actually keep them on all the
> time, even while you sleep. You do get what you pay for I guess.

I use and recommend the Rabbit Air MinusA2 SPA-780A. It's especially good
for bedroom areas, and the auto setting definitely works, with a particle
sensor that can be adjusted as necessary. Customer service is the cat's
meow. ;-D

http://www.rabbitair.com/Minusa2-SPA-780A-Ultra-Quiet-HEPA-Air-Purifier.aspx

The only caveat I have is the effective coverage area--the company gave their
PR dept. a bit too much free rein in promoting a 815 sq. ft. coverage. It's
more like 270 sq. ft. *actual* effective coverage, as this is definitely a
mid-power air filter. See http://shrunklink.com/dxmo for an excellent,
realistic review of the unit. In fact, this recommendation was what led me
to purchase my two Rabbit Airs, and I'm more than pleased with my purchase.

Regardless of the final outcome of your current health status, an air filter
in your bedroom (at least) can only be of benefit, especially with so many
indoor cats.

Purrs and HTH --
--
/\ /\ | "If a man could be crossed with the
^o o^ D.K. "Cat" Kraft | cat, it would improve the man but

The Nice Mean Man
January 11th 10, 03:12 AM
On Jan 4, 9:09*am, dgk > wrote:
> Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
> problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
> seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
> allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
> very bad allergy days.

Well there's only one solution to your problem.... move out. Since
you're obviously not the type to disappoint "Skooter" very much.

The Nice Mean Man

The Nice Mean Man
January 11th 10, 03:17 AM
On Jan 4, 2:26*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> [...]
> > very clean. Still, having that run all day in the bedroom and maybe
> > one in the living room would likely help.
>
> > My vet said to try wetting a cloth with fabric softener and rubbing
> > that on him (wet, not a bath). He's heard that this is pretty
> > effective in limiting allergic reactions. I tried it with a dryer
> > sheet instead but while Scooter enjoyed it, I think I'll just do the
> > towel with the liquid stuff tonight.
>
> > I'm also looking into getting him a home with someone else if I really
> > have serious problems with this. He's such a good cat that he deserves
> > a home.
>
> I don't know, dude, you just seem to have one emergency after another. I am
> allergic to cats, loratidine covers it for the most part. I am not totally
> comfortable all the time, but it is a trade-off.- Hide quoted text -

Kewl.....!!! Does your nose get big and red? I used to think you
people were just attention-seekers. Then one day I saw my sister-in-
law swell up like a rotten cantaloupe because she had to go into a
house with small dogs running about! I swear, you couldn't even see
her eyes. Just slits with mucus running down into what used to be her
mouth! LOL....!!! Now I know you guys are on the level.

Isnít there any way you can keep an attack from coming on? Like trying
just a little harder in the willpower department?

The Nice Mean Man

Alison[_4_]
January 12th 10, 09:20 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
> problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
> seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
> allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
> very bad allergy days.>>

Sorry to hear this. I am allergic to Kim my cat. I use allergy wipes from
the pet store on her. I take Fexofenadine Hydrochloride tablets on
prescription from the doctor (UK) and I have eyedrops and also also
Hydrocortisone cream for my skin.
alison

dgk
January 13th 10, 03:04 PM
On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 20:20:27 -0000, "Alison"
> wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>> Scooter has been in the house for a week. There have been many
>> problems with the other three cats, but the biggest problem is that I
>> seem to be very allergic to him. The odd thing is that I've never had
>> allergies although for the past few years I've felt somewhat crappy on
>> very bad allergy days.>>
>
> Sorry to hear this. I am allergic to Kim my cat. I use allergy wipes from
>the pet store on her. I take Fexofenadine Hydrochloride tablets on
>prescription from the doctor (UK) and I have eyedrops and also also
>Hydrocortisone cream for my skin.
> alison

Thanks - it turns out that I mostly had a bad head cold that hit at
the same time. I actually do seem to be somewhat allergic to him but
it isn't bad enough to really worry about. If I have him in my lap and
I'm petting him my eyes do get a bit irritated and I feel a bit
stuffy, but it isn't enough to worry me. I think it was intensified by
the cold.

But the episode gave me greater sympathy for allergy sufferers who
keep cats anyway. And I'm seriously considering getting a good HEPA
filter. Just seeing all the stuff swirlling around in the air when the
sun hits it is pretty convincing. Do I really want all that stuff
coming into my body? I have a regular air cleaner but clearly it could
use some assistance.

cybercat
January 13th 10, 05:50 PM
"dgk" > wrote
> it turns out that I mostly had a bad head cold that hit at
> the same time.

What is really odd is that the same kind of thing hit me at the same time
you mentioned it hitting you.

I actually do seem to be somewhat allergic to him but
> it isn't bad enough to really worry about. If I have him in my lap and
> I'm petting him my eyes do get a bit irritated and I feel a bit
> stuffy, but it isn't enough to worry me.

This is exactly how my cat allergies are. It helps a lot to wash your face
and hands, even just splash cold water on your face, rinsing your eyes, too.
I do it twice. If it gets so bad my eyes feel grainy, a shower always helps,
I guess because I get the dander or whatever it is in my hair. (My kitten
plays with and chews on my hair .... :) )

> But the episode gave me greater sympathy for allergy sufferers who
> keep cats anyway. And I'm seriously considering getting a good HEPA
> filter. Just seeing all the stuff swirlling around in the air when the
> sun hits it is pretty convincing. Do I really want all that stuff
> coming into my body? I have a regular air cleaner but clearly it could
> use some assistance.

I love Hepas. I have a giant one in my bedroom. Not only are they great for
allergies, the white noise some generate helps me sleep.