PDA

View Full Version : eye discharge problem

YvonneD
January 19th 10, 02:32 PM
My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
years. Vet said it was normal for him.

Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
cleared up.

A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.

I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
spend another $100? He is otherwise just fine. Eats, sleeps and
plays. I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. I'm retired.
My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
would never neglect my pets because of money.

What do you think?

cybercat
January 19th 10, 05:49 PM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
> never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
> and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
> years. Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
> eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
> him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
> cleared up.
>
> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
> been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
> male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
> anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> spend another $100?

There is an eye ointment that will help him that you can get at your vet.
Asshole.

cybercat
January 19th 10, 06:08 PM

> "YvonneD" > wrote in message
>> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
>> never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
>> be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
>> and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
>> years. Vet said it was normal for him.
>>
>> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
>> eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
>> know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
>> him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
>> cleared up.
>>
>> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
>> been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
>> affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
>> think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
>> emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
>> male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>>
>> I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
>> anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
>> spend another $100?

Sneezing means he has a UTI and will need some clavamox, also available at
your vet. Don't have cats if you cannot afford simple vet care. You are not
doing them any favors. ALL of us have things we would rather spend money on.
They depend on you. Do the right thing. No money? Sell something on ebay,
borrow it from a friend or family member.

Bill Graham
January 20th 10, 08:38 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message

I'm retired.
> My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
> want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> What do you think?

I highly recommend that you go to the senior citizen dances and pick up
another husband.....With any luck, you will find a nice widowed MD or even a
retired vet!

YvonneD
January 20th 10, 04:25 PM
On Jan 19, 8:32*am, YvonneD > wrote:
> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. *I
> never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. *I 'd clean them
> and that would be that for several days. *This has been going on for 7
> years. *Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. *I have to clean his
> eyes every day. *Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> know what color it is. *About a month ago he had watery eyes. *I took
> him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. *That has
> cleared up.
>
> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. *My male has not
> been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> affectionate self ever since. *I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> think he is too. *I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> emotionally related. *The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. *The
> male will ocassionally sneeze. *Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. *Is there
> anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> spend another $100? *He is otherwise just fine. *Eats, sleeps and
> plays. *I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
> Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
> male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. *I'm retired.
> My husband died last year and my income went down by half. *I don't
> want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> What do you think?

Thank you both for your useless and tasteless responses.

harry
January 23rd 10, 02:56 AM
On Jan 20, 10:25*am, YvonneD > wrote:
> On Jan 19, 8:32*am, YvonneD > wrote:
>

> > My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. *I
> > never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> > be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. *I 'd clean them
> > and that would be that for several days. *This has been going on for 7
> > years. *Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> > Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. *I have to clean his
> > eyes every day. *Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> > know what color it is. *About a month ago he had watery eyes. *I took
> > him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. *That has
> > cleared up.
>
> > A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. *My male has not
> > been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> > affectionate self ever since. *I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> > think he is too. *I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> > emotionally related. *The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. *The
> > male will ocassionally sneeze. *Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> > I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. *Is there
> > anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> > spend another $100? *He is otherwise just fine. *Eats, sleeps and
> > plays. *I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
> > Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
> > male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. *I'm retired.
> > My husband died last year and my income went down by half. *I don't
> > want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> > would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> Thank you both for your useless and tasteless responses.- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

Your kittiy is losing his immune strength due to age,, and now things
will change dramatically, so now he needs you to help him walk to
those pearly gates:

Rhinotracheitis Virus and Calicivirus:

“Can future infections occur in spite of vaccinations?

Many cats that have infections due to the rhinotracheitis virus or the
calicivirus will become carriers. These cats are typically well, but
they will have recurrence of sneezing. Cats with the calicivirus
constantly shed virus, and those with the rhinotracheitis only shed
when stressed.” http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/uri.html

Feline Vaccinations
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/vaccinations.html

Aspergillosis in Cats
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=232

I have two Snow Tiger kitties: the sweet, friendly female, with
surprisingly, soft, silky fur, has the nose infection, but is hard to
medicate, so I wear out after a while, knowing it is not going to help
anyway.- the male, Freckles, who I have to beg to let me pet him, is
ok so far. As all the kitties, when feeling poorly, SnowAngel,
incessantly wants to sit on me, and snort her snot on me . . .
YYYYUUUUUK.

Truly

Truth will set you free: John 8:32

Wendy
January 25th 10, 09:03 PM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
> never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
> and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
> years. Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
> eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
> him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
> cleared up.
>
> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
> been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
> male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
> anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> spend another $100? He is otherwise just fine. Eats, sleeps and
> plays. I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
> Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
> male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. I'm retired.
> My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
> want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> What do you think?

The cat may have been carrying the herpes virus around with him for years if
not most of his life. Stress can cause an outbreak. That is probably what is
accounting for the increase in the buildup in the eye and the occasional
sneezing. If the cat is still eating well, the sneezing is only occasional
and there is no discharge I wouldn't further upset the kitty with another
visit to the vet at this point. If it's a mild herpes outbreak the
antibiotics won't do squat unless there is a secondary bacterial infection
as well.

If there is any congestion, runny nose or eyes or the cat isn't eating
well - any one of them - then you need to get the cat to the vet.

YvonneD
February 1st 10, 02:27 AM
On Jan 25, 3:03*pm, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> > My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. *I
> > never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> > be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. *I 'd clean them
> > and that would be that for several days. *This has been going on for 7
> > years. *Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> > Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. *I have to clean his
> > eyes every day. *Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> > know what color it is. *About a month ago he had watery eyes. *I took
> > him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. *That has
> > cleared up.
>
> > A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. *My male has not
> > been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> > affectionate self ever since. *I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> > think he is too. *I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> > emotionally related. *The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. *The
> > male will ocassionally sneeze. *Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> > I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. *Is there
> > anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> > spend another $100? *He is otherwise just fine. *Eats, sleeps and
> > plays. *I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
> > Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
> > male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. *I'm retired.
> > My husband died last year and my income went down by half. *I don't
> > want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> > would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> The cat may have been carrying the herpes virus around with him for years if
> not most of his life. Stress can cause an outbreak. That is probably what is
> accounting for the increase in the buildup in the eye and the occasional
> sneezing. If the cat is still eating well, the sneezing is only occasional
> and there is no discharge I wouldn't further upset the kitty with another
> visit to the vet at this point. If it's a mild herpes outbreak the
> antibiotics won't do squat unless there is a secondary bacterial infection
> as well.
>
> If there is any congestion, runny nose or eyes or the cat isn't eating
> well - any one of them - then you need to get the cat to the vet.

Thanks. His eyes are looking better. He had a herpes outbreak
shortly after I brought the new cat home. There is no question that
having this new kitty around has been stressful for him. He's had
nine years of my undivided attention and now there's a little spitfire
running around. Even I'm stressed!

Bill Graham
February 1st 10, 06:32 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
On Jan 25, 3:03 pm, "Wendy" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> > My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge. I
> > never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so here would
> > be some small black gunk in the corners of his eyes. I 'd clean them
> > and that would be that for several days. This has been going on for 7
> > years. Vet said it was normal for him.
>
> > Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to clean his
> > eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the discharge so I don't
> > know what color it is. About a month ago he had watery eyes. I took
> > him to the vet and he gave him some ointment for herpes. That has
> > cleared up.
>
> > A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male has not
> > been very happy about it and has never really been his old,
> > affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about it, and I
> > think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this is somehow
> > emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is perfectly fine. The
> > male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe onceor twice a day at most.
>
> > I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is there
> > anything else I should do, other than take him back to the vet and
> > spend another $100? He is otherwise just fine. Eats, sleeps and
> > plays. I have spent a small fortune since getting the female.
> > Between the adoption fees, the vet checkup for her. the vet for the
> > male's herpes I'm pretty much tapped out for this year. I'm retired.
> > My husband died last year and my income went down by half. I don't
> > want to take him to the vet unless it's absolutely necessary, but I
> > would never neglect my pets because of money.
>
> > What do you think?
>
> The cat may have been carrying the herpes virus around with him for years
> if
> not most of his life. Stress can cause an outbreak. That is probably what
> is
> accounting for the increase in the buildup in the eye and the occasional
> sneezing. If the cat is still eating well, the sneezing is only occasional
> and there is no discharge I wouldn't further upset the kitty with another
> visit to the vet at this point. If it's a mild herpes outbreak the
> antibiotics won't do squat unless there is a secondary bacterial infection
> as well.
>
> If there is any congestion, runny nose or eyes or the cat isn't eating
> well - any one of them - then you need to get the cat to the vet.

Thanks. His eyes are looking better. He had a herpes outbreak
shortly after I brought the new cat home. There is no question that
having this new kitty around has been stressful for him. He's had
nine years of my undivided attention and now there's a little spitfire
running around. Even I'm stressed!

Once he realizes that you aren't going to replace him, but are going to keep
both him and the new cat, he will learn to accept it, and even like and play
with it........

John Doe
February 7th 10, 09:27 AM
"cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

>> "YvonneD" <googlemail2003 yahoo.com> wrote

>>> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge.
>>> I never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so
>>> here would be some small black gunk in the corners of his
>>> eyes. I 'd clean them and that would be that for several
>>> days. This has been going on for 7 years. Vet said it was
>>> normal for him.
>>>
>>> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to
>>> clean his eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the
>>> discharge so I don't know what color it is. About a month ago
>>> he had watery eyes. I took him to the vet and he gave him
>>> some ointment for herpes. That has cleared up.
>>>
>>> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female. My male
>>> has not been very happy about it and has never really been his
>>> old, affectionate self ever since. I'm broken hearted about
>>> it, and I think he is too. I'm guess, like the herpes, this
>>> is somehow emotionally related. The other cat, a female, is
>>> perfectly fine. The male will ocassionally sneeze. Maybe
>>> onceor twice a day at most.
>>>
>>> I've started them on Lysine just to be on the safe side. Is
>>> there anything else I should do, other than take him back to
>>> the vet and spend another $100?
>>

> Sneezing means he has a UTI and will need some clavamox, also
> available at your vet. Don't have cats if you cannot afford
> simple vet care.

So you did not get the attention you were seeking after your first
insults, JudgMental, so you replied to your own post. You are
seriously depraved.
--

> You are not
> doing them any favors. ALL of us have things we would rather spend money on.
> They depend on you. Do the right thing. No money? Sell something on ebay,
> borrow it from a friend or family member.

> From: "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: eye discharge problem
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:08:09 -0500

cybercat
February 7th 10, 09:29 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> "YvonneD" <googlemail2003 yahoo.com> wrote

>> Sneezing means he has a UTI and will need some clavamox, also
>> available at your vet. Don't have cats if you cannot afford
>> simple vet care.
>
> So you did not get the attention you were seeking after your first
> insults, JudgMental, so you replied to your own post. You are
> seriously depraved.
> --

ARE YOU JUDGING ME?

snicker

John Doe
February 7th 10, 10:32 AM
"cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

>> "YvonneD" <googlemail2003 yahoo.com> wrote

>>> My male (9 to 10 years old) has always had some eye discharge.
>>> I never actually saw the discharge but every other day or so
>>> here would be some small black gunk in the corners of his
>>> eyes. I 'd clean them and that would be that for several
>>> days. This has been going on for 7 years. Vet said it was
>>> normal for him.
>>>
>>> Lately the black gunk has increased quite a bit. I have to
>>> clean his eyes every day. Again I don't actually see the
>>> discharge so I don't know what color it is. About a month ago
>>> he had watery eyes. I took him to the vet and he gave him
>>> some ointment for herpes. That has cleared up.
>>>
>>> A few months ago I rescued a 2 1/2 year old female

> Don't have cats if you cannot afford simple vet care. You are
> not doing them any favors.

Only a vicious attention-seeking troll (like JudgeMental) would
say that rescuing a cat and giving it food and shelter is bad
unless the keeper also provides veterinary care. In many places in
the real world (outside of JudgeMental's Internet Utopia), there
are always stray animals that are in desperate need of rescuing
for lack of food, shelter, and safety. That is really too bad IMO
that some cannot shake their fake compassion long enough to keep
from insulting people who post about their experience in the real
world.
--

> ALL of us have things we would rather spend money on. They
> depend on you. Do the right thing. No money? Sell something on
> ebay, borrow it from a friend or family member.

> From: "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: eye discharge problem
> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:08:09 -0500

cybercat
February 7th 10, 07:24 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>> "YvonneD" <googlemail2003 yahoo.com> wrote

>> Don't have cats if you cannot afford simple vet care. You are
>> not doing them any favors.
>
> Only a vicious attention-seeking troll (like JudgeMental) would
> say that rescuing a cat and giving it food and shelter is bad
> unless the keeper also provides veterinary care. In many places in
> the real world (outside of JudgeMental's Internet Utopia), there
> are always stray animals that are in desperate need of rescuing
> for lack of food, shelter, and safety. That is really too bad IMO
> that some cannot shake their fake compassion long enough to keep
> from insulting people who post about their experience in the real
> world.
> --

>> ALL of us have things we would rather spend money on. They
>> depend on you. Do the right thing. No money? Sell something on
>> ebay, borrow it from a friend or family member.

>> From: "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com>
>> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> Subject: Re: eye discharge problem
>> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 12:08:09 -0500

There you go, judging me again, Mark. I guess your little fwends have not
spanked you hard enough lately.