PDA

View Full Version : Introducing older cat and kitten, OK this is cool

cybercat
January 20th 10, 05:12 AM
Baby was ten weeks Nov. 25, Gracie is about ten years. Much hissing and
girlyslapping, I did not really separate them formally, just made sure each
had a plac to go, and gave Gracie a break from the kitten, also a girl, from
time to time. They had separate sleeping areas but could be together--or
not--all day and evening with me at home most of the time.

At first it looked like Gracie was just wrecked, she developed a new
plaintive cry, began overgrooming, and was totally irritated allll the time.
The bad URI the kitten gave her, and the herpes outbreak did not help. (YES,
I should have kept them separated.)

Then Gracie began asserting herself vigorously and loudly to stop the
constant stalking the kitten was doing. And she succeeded! Next phase I
found them sleeping a foot apart, but if the baby tried to sniff her or
touch her Gracie hissed.

Now, just this morning, for the first time in years I saw Gracie play like a
kitten! She plays, but not that wild-eyed kitten play with the leaps and
flips. The kitten was not up yet, but Gracie's mood was unmistakable. It was
wonderful to see, as now I feel the kitten is a good influence on her, a
stimulating influence. When not sleeping they skirmish and there is an
occasional hiss from Gracie, but they are very close to playing together.

MLB[_2_]
January 20th 10, 09:21 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Baby was ten weeks Nov. 25, Gracie is about ten years. Much hissing and
> girlyslapping, I did not really separate them formally, just made sure each
> had a plac to go, and gave Gracie a break from the kitten, also a girl, from
> time to time. They had separate sleeping areas but could be together--or
> not--all day and evening with me at home most of the time.
>
> At first it looked like Gracie was just wrecked, she developed a new
> plaintive cry, began overgrooming, and was totally irritated allll the time.
> The bad URI the kitten gave her, and the herpes outbreak did not help. (YES,
> I should have kept them separated.)
>
> Then Gracie began asserting herself vigorously and loudly to stop the
> constant stalking the kitten was doing. And she succeeded! Next phase I
> found them sleeping a foot apart, but if the baby tried to sniff her or
> touch her Gracie hissed.
>
> Now, just this morning, for the first time in years I saw Gracie play like a
> kitten! She plays, but not that wild-eyed kitten play with the leaps and
> flips. The kitten was not up yet, but Gracie's mood was unmistakable. It was
> wonderful to see, as now I feel the kitten is a good influence on her, a
> stimulating influence. When not sleeping they skirmish and there is an
> occasional hiss from Gracie, but they are very close to playing together.

That is good to hear. I try to get TuTu to play but she thinks it is
too much trouble. However, a couple of days ago I gave her a new catnip
mousie and she started batting it all over the kitchen. She must do it
at night because I find them in different places in the morning. Best
wishes. MLB

dgk
January 21st 10, 07:32 PM
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 14:21:35 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>cybercat wrote:
>> Baby was ten weeks Nov. 25, Gracie is about ten years. Much hissing and
>> girlyslapping, I did not really separate them formally, just made sure each
>> had a plac to go, and gave Gracie a break from the kitten, also a girl, from
>> time to time. They had separate sleeping areas but could be together--or
>> not--all day and evening with me at home most of the time.
>>
>> At first it looked like Gracie was just wrecked, she developed a new
>> plaintive cry, began overgrooming, and was totally irritated allll the time.
>> The bad URI the kitten gave her, and the herpes outbreak did not help. (YES,
>> I should have kept them separated.)
>>
>> Then Gracie began asserting herself vigorously and loudly to stop the
>> constant stalking the kitten was doing. And she succeeded! Next phase I
>> found them sleeping a foot apart, but if the baby tried to sniff her or
>> touch her Gracie hissed.
>>
>> Now, just this morning, for the first time in years I saw Gracie play like a
>> kitten! She plays, but not that wild-eyed kitten play with the leaps and
>> flips. The kitten was not up yet, but Gracie's mood was unmistakable. It was
>> wonderful to see, as now I feel the kitten is a good influence on her, a
>> stimulating influence. When not sleeping they skirmish and there is an
>> occasional hiss from Gracie, but they are very close to playing together.
>>

>That is good to hear. I try to get TuTu to play but she thinks it is
>too much trouble. However, a couple of days ago I gave her a new catnip
>mousie and she started batting it all over the kitchen. She must do it
>at night because I find them in different places in the morning. Best
>wishes. MLB

Always so nice to hear something like this. Where did Baby come from?
Did I miss this?