PDA

View Full Version : Burmese Cat Behavior

Falkenhayn
January 21st 10, 12:13 AM
This message goes out to all of you who are Burmese cat owners. Does
your cat have these behaviors and can you share with us any solutions?
Help!

The Minx is a 7-yr.old sable female who is very needy. She demands
attention and will poke me with her paw if I ignore her. Most of the
time we love the interaction and affection, but lately she has become
obsessive about cheese. We gave her some American cheese, which she
devoured. Since then, she camps out by the refrigerator door
incessantly demanding cheese every time we approach. We limit the
amount we give her because she does have a sensitive stomach and will
vomit when irritated.

In a person, I guess this would be OCB, but is there a feline
equivalent? Any and all ideas are appreciated!

Mark Earnest
January 21st 10, 12:56 AM
"Falkenhayn" > wrote in message
> This message goes out to all of you who are Burmese cat owners. Does
> your cat have these behaviors and can you share with us any solutions?
> Help!
>
> The Minx is a 7-yr.old sable female who is very needy. She demands
> attention and will poke me with her paw if I ignore her. Most of the
> time we love the interaction and affection, but lately she has become
> obsessive about cheese. We gave her some American cheese, which she
> devoured. Since then, she camps out by the refrigerator door
> incessantly demanding cheese every time we approach. We limit the
> amount we give her because she does have a sensitive stomach and will
> vomit when irritated.
>
> In a person, I guess this would be OCB, but is there a feline
> equivalent? Any and all ideas are appreciated!

You forgot to say what the problem was! :)
Any feline that interacts with you on that level, even
to the point of telling you precisely when where and how she
wants something, should be a joy to be around.

That's total interaction and being with an animal companion
at its best.

Remember she's kind of your kid.
You can always kindly but assertively tell her no.

Allan Smith
January 21st 10, 01:59 AM
Falkenhayn,

It may not be about the cheese, but about the attention. Burmese crave it.
They are best in a house full of other living things.

http://www.gopetsamerica.com/profiles/burmese.aspx

When she asks, try giving her something besides cheese, and if the behavior
doesn't change, then it probably isn't about the cheese, but more likely
about your attention. If the behavior does change, it means she just likes
cheese.

Burmese are, by nature, needy. My experience is that that is particularly
true if they are the only cat in the house, or if there aren't children
around to share the attention-duties. In that case, another cat might help,
but at her age, jealousy might be a problem.

Your phrase "The Minx ... " is curious. Is that her name, or the way you
regard her?

Allan

--
One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
---

"Falkenhayn" > wrote in message
> This message goes out to all of you who are Burmese cat owners. Does
> your cat have these behaviors and can you share with us any solutions?
> Help!
>
> The Minx is a 7-yr.old sable female who is very needy. She demands
> attention and will poke me with her paw if I ignore her. Most of the

harry
January 23rd 10, 01:08 AM
On Jan 20, 8:59*pm, "Allan Smith" > wrote:
> Falkenhayn,
>
> It may not be about the cheese, but about the attention. Burmese crave it..
> They are best in a house full of other living things.
>
> http://www.gopetsamerica.com/profiles/burmese.aspx
>
> When she asks, try giving her something besides cheese, and if the behavior
> doesn't change, then it probably isn't about the cheese, but more likely
> about your attention. If the behavior does change, it means she just likes
> cheese.
>
> Burmese are, by nature, needy. My experience is that that is particularly
> true if they are the only cat in the house, or if there aren't children
> around to share the attention-duties. In that case, another cat might help,
> but at her age, jealousy might be a problem.
>
> Your phrase "The Minx ... " is curious. Is that her name, or the way you
> regard her?
>
> Allan
>
> --
> One asks, many answer, all learn -- Plato, on the 'Forum
> ---
> True civility is when every one gives to every other one every right
> *that they claim for themselves.
>
> "Falkenhayn" > wrote in message

> > This message goes out to all of you who are Burmese cat owners. Does
> > your cat have these behaviors and can you share with us any solutions?
> > Help!
>
> > The Minx is a 7-yr.old sable female who is very needy. She demands
> > attention and will poke me with her paw if I ignore her. Most of the- Hide quoted text -

Hello,

Sounds to me as if she has some sort of Vitamin deficiency,
especially : Calcium and Vit. A, D and E. Try a drop or two of
CodLiver Oil on her paws for licking.

Truth will set you free: John 8:32

Netmask[_2_]
January 23rd 10, 08:35 PM
On 21/01/2010 11:13, Falkenhayn wrote:
> This message goes out to all of you who are Burmese cat owners. Does
> your cat have these behaviors and can you share with us any solutions?
> Help!
>
> The Minx is a 7-yr.old sable female who is very needy. She demands
> attention and will poke me with her paw if I ignore her. Most of the
> time we love the interaction and affection, but lately she has become
> obsessive about cheese. We gave her some American cheese, which she
> devoured. Since then, she camps out by the refrigerator door
> incessantly demanding cheese every time we approach. We limit the
> amount we give her because she does have a sensitive stomach and will
> vomit when irritated.
>
> In a person, I guess this would be OCB, but is there a feline
> equivalent? Any and all ideas are appreciated!

I have had Burmese cats for the last 30 odd years and have found they
all like the smelliest ripe European cheeses - however cheese is not
good for them as they are mostly lactose intolerant. For kittens a small
helping does provide calcium but should be weaned off by about 6 months
and only very occasionally as a stimulant if they go off their food. A
calcium supplement may be what she needs. It's a pity there isn't
available a bottle of "awful smell" that can be used to stimulate their
taste buds from time to time...!
My Burmese have always been very needy and simply must be the centre of
attention. I have only had desexed males.