PDA

View Full Version : Should I spank my cat?

Brian[_2_]
January 26th 10, 10:36 AM
Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

Regards Brian

Buddy's Mom
January 26th 10, 12:03 PM
Your cat is urinating inside because he has a problem - bladder
infection, etc. Take him to the doctor. This is his way of telling
you he is sick. Spanking does nothing but make the cat fearful of
you.

honeybunch
January 26th 10, 11:30 PM
I totally agree with Buddy's Mom. Your cat has a urinary infection.
You should get the cat a kitty litter pan for inside. He might use it
if he is peeing on the carpet now. My cat does not like to do his
business in the house. He carries on like a maniac before he goes in
the pan and then when he is done he scratches the litter around for
ages. He'd rather do it outside but its too cold for him to go out
right now. Take you cat to the doctor.

On Jan 26, 6:03*am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> Your cat is urinating inside because he has a problem - bladder
> infection, etc. *Take him to the doctor. *This is his way of telling
> you he is sick. *Spanking does nothing but make the cat fearful of
> you.

starcat
January 27th 10, 02:24 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
> method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
> outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.
>
> Regards Brian

One word: NO. It's counterproductive in both cats and dogs, but especially
in cats. You'll accomplish nothing.

First, take him to the vet to rule out anything physical. If he's always
gone outside before, then it's most likely he's got an infection. Second,
consider adding a litter pan inside, if you don't have one already. If he's
an older cat, it may be difficult for him to go outside all the time (if
it's raining, for example).

Regardless of why he's doing it, spanking him is pointless.

dejablues[_4_]
January 27th 10, 04:24 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
> method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
> outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.

No. Spank yourself, then try to figure out what's wrong with your cat.

dgk
February 1st 10, 02:59 PM
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:58:40 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
>> method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
>> outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Please don't ever spank your cat. He wont understand "after the fact." Have
>the vet check him to see if he has some health issues. Also, if it's bitter
>cold and the earth is frozen, some cats would rather use their litter pans.

Yes, that's after the fact. I swatted Espy on his behind the other
night when he was playing the blinds like a xylophone. And I keep them
fairly high up so he has to stretch to reach them. I love that cat
dearly but sometimes he's a bit too smart. He wanted me to get up and
give him treats.

But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
enough to hurt him no matter what he did.

Brian[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 02:52 AM
dgk > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:58:40 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Brian" > wrote in message
>>> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a better
>>> method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat that use to go
>>> outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he can go outside.
>>>
>>> Regards Brian
>>
>>Please don't ever spank your cat. He wont understand "after the fact." Have
>>the vet check him to see if he has some health issues. Also, if it's bitter
>>cold and the earth is frozen, some cats would rather use their litter pans.
>
>Yes, that's after the fact. I swatted Espy on his behind the other
>night when he was playing the blinds like a xylophone. And I keep them
>fairly high up so he has to stretch to reach them. I love that cat
>dearly but sometimes he's a bit too smart. He wanted me to get up and
>give him treats.
>
>But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
>did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
>enough to hurt him no matter what he did.

If he starts biteing me he gets a tap on the nose.

Regards Brian

dgk
February 3rd 10, 02:42 PM
On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 04:01:51 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
wrote:

>"dgk" > wrote in message
>>
>> But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
>> did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
>> enough to hurt him no matter what he did.
>
>We found the spray bottle works wonders with our two kitties. They no
>longer go on the expensive sofa or the dining room table. We don't have
>blinds in the house. We do have blinds in our RV, but so far so good.
>They've not bothered them.

He has been playing the blinds once in a while for the last few weeks.
A new trick. I did bring in a big water gun from the garage and kept
it loaded and pumped up by the side of the bed but decided that I
didn't want to risk a groggy night shot that might hit the stereo
nearby. Maybe if I practice with it a bit I'll get better. But it lets
out a pretty big stream of water. I think I need one of the old little
manual types of watergun.

MLB[_2_]
February 4th 10, 01:51 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 04:01:51 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dgk" > wrote in message
>>> But if I swatted his behind a minute later he would have no idea why I
>>> did it. It really has to be in the act. I would never hit him hard
>>> enough to hurt him no matter what he did.
>> We found the spray bottle works wonders with our two kitties. They no
>> longer go on the expensive sofa or the dining room table. We don't have
>> blinds in the house. We do have blinds in our RV, but so far so good.
>> They've not bothered them.
>
> He has been playing the blinds once in a while for the last few weeks.
> A new trick. I did bring in a big water gun from the garage and kept
> it loaded and pumped up by the side of the bed but decided that I
> didn't want to risk a groggy night shot that might hit the stereo
> nearby. Maybe if I practice with it a bit I'll get better. But it lets
> out a pretty big stream of water. I think I need one of the old little
> manual types of watergun.

IMHO a spray would be better than a stream. You can find them in
cleaning items at the grocery store. MLB

dgk
February 4th 10, 03:43 PM
On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:51:30 -0700, MLB > wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 04:01:51 -0600, "Kelly Greene" >
>> wrote:

>>> We found the spray bottle works wonders with our two kitties. They no
>>> longer go on the expensive sofa or the dining room table. We don't have
>>> blinds in the house. We do have blinds in our RV, but so far so good.
>>> They've not bothered them.
>>
>> He has been playing the blinds once in a while for the last few weeks.
>> A new trick. I did bring in a big water gun from the garage and kept
>> it loaded and pumped up by the side of the bed but decided that I
>> didn't want to risk a groggy night shot that might hit the stereo
>> nearby. Maybe if I practice with it a bit I'll get better. But it lets
>> out a pretty big stream of water. I think I need one of the old little
>> manual types of watergun.
>

>IMHO a spray would be better than a stream. You can find them in
>cleaning items at the grocery store. MLB

But then I have to get up and out of bed. I was kind of hoping to just
get a shot off while he's making night music, to convince him that
it's a bad idea. This could hopefully be done without becoming fully
awake or having to get out from under the covers. Plus, he won't need
to know that it came from me!

Brian[_2_]
February 5th 10, 12:58 AM
dgk > wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:51:30 -0700, MLB > wrote:
>
>>dgk wrote:

>>> He has been playing the blinds once in a while for the last few weeks.
>>> A new trick. I did bring in a big water gun from the garage and kept
>>> it loaded and pumped up by the side of the bed but decided that I
>>> didn't want to risk a groggy night shot that might hit the stereo
>>> nearby. Maybe if I practice with it a bit I'll get better. But it lets
>>> out a pretty big stream of water. I think I need one of the old little
>>> manual types of watergun.
>>

>>IMHO a spray would be better than a stream. You can find them in
>>cleaning items at the grocery store. MLB
>
>But then I have to get up and out of bed. I was kind of hoping to just
>get a shot off while he's making night music, to convince him that
>it's a bad idea. This could hopefully be done without becoming fully
>awake or having to get out from under the covers. Plus, he won't need
>to know that it came from me!

My cat use to scatch at the carpet in the bedroom in the middle of the
night, one night when he was doing it I threw something soft at him. I
think it was a newspaper that was screwed up in a ball, the sound of
the newspaper landing near him frightened the cat and he never did
that again.

Regards Brian

cybercat
February 5th 10, 06:30 AM
"dgk" > wrote
> But then I have to get up and out of bed. I was kind of hoping to just
> get a shot off while he's making night music, to convince him that
> it's a bad idea. This could hopefully be done without becoming fully
> awake or having to get out from under the covers. Plus, he won't need
> to know that it came from me!

I had a water pistol that shot 20 feet (I am not kidding) and used it on my
first cat when she jumped up where I did not want her to. I didn't want to
have to keep getting up. She didn't like it at all. I could tell by the way
I found she had peed in my bed that night.

The only time after that I tried water as an aversive was last week when I
was washing dishes and the kitten once more, for the 400th time that day,
climbed up on the kitchen table. I turned around and flicked water on her
from my wet hands. She hunkered down in the middle of the table and looked
at me like, "what else you got?" She finds the dripping faucet several times
a day and comes out with a soaking wet head. She loves water.

Bill Graham
February 5th 10, 08:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "dgk" > wrote
>> But then I have to get up and out of bed. I was kind of hoping to just
>> get a shot off while he's making night music, to convince him that
>> it's a bad idea. This could hopefully be done without becoming fully
>> awake or having to get out from under the covers. Plus, he won't need
>> to know that it came from me!
>
> I had a water pistol that shot 20 feet (I am not kidding) and used it on
> my first cat when she jumped up where I did not want her to. I didn't want
> to have to keep getting up. She didn't like it at all. I could tell by the
> way I found she had peed in my bed that night.
>
> The only time after that I tried water as an aversive was last week when I
> was washing dishes and the kitten once more, for the 400th time that day,
> climbed up on the kitchen table. I turned around and flicked water on her
> from my wet hands. She hunkered down in the middle of the table and looked
> at me like, "what else you got?" She finds the dripping faucet several
> times a day and comes out with a soaking wet head. She loves water.

Not surprising. Here in Oregon, most cats love water too. they won't jump in
it, but they love to sit out in the pouring rain, and come back in the house
sopping wet. In California, where I lived for 40 years, no self respecting
cat would allow him/her self to get wet. No matter how hard it was raining,
they would stay dry. But one of the first things I learned when I retired
and moved up here to Oregon was that the cats liked the rain. When I moved
in to my house up here, it came with a cat, and she would sit out in the
rain on a sawed off tree stump that was in my back yard, and just get
soaked......I think they use the rain to de-flea themselves.

John Doe
February 7th 10, 09:35 AM
Brian > wrote:

> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a
> better method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat
> that use to go outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he
> can go outside.

Direct confrontation with a cat should be avoided if possible.
Hitting a cat can cause behavioral problems. Unsupervised, cats
can be cruel to other animals, but they are surprisingly emotional
creatures. Cats enjoy a comfortable and tidy place to
urinate/defecate. About the only way you can stop a cat from doing
what it wants to do is by blocking it.

Bill Graham
February 7th 10, 11:51 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> Brian > wrote:
>
>> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a
>> better method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat
>> that use to go outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he
>> can go outside.
>
> Direct confrontation with a cat should be avoided if possible.
> Hitting a cat can cause behavioral problems. Unsupervised, cats
> can be cruel to other animals, but they are surprisingly emotional
> creatures. Cats enjoy a comfortable and tidy place to
> urinate/defecate. About the only way you can stop a cat from doing
> what it wants to do is by blocking it.

I keep a small pillow handy, and when one of my cats does something I don't
like, I yell at it and throw the pillow at it....This frightens the cat, and
he/she learns not to do whatever it was that I don't like......This is the
only discipline method I have done that has ever worked...But it only works
if you do it immediately, at the time the cat is doing whatever is wrong.
When two of my cats are hissing at each other, I do this to stop them from
fighting, and it has sped up the process of getting them to get along with
each other....It also has worked when they scratch on furniture or objects
that I don't want them to deface.....Like the side of my instrument
amplifier, for example. Cats don't like noise, and they don't like things
thrown at them. When I first got B-K from the Burger King parking lot, he
would run when I put on my coat in the morning. I could tell that patrons of
the Burger King would shake their coats at him and yell to make him go away.
It took a while to get him to realize that I wasn't trying to scare him away
when I got dressed in the morning.

Brian[_2_]
February 17th 10, 11:21 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

>"John Doe" > wrote in message
>> Brian > wrote:
>>
>>> Should I spank my cat if he urinates inside, or is there a
>>> better method to make him urinate outside? He's an adult cat
>>> that use to go outside to urinate. He has a cat flap so that he
>>> can go outside.
>>
>> Direct confrontation with a cat should be avoided if possible.
>> Hitting a cat can cause behavioral problems. Unsupervised, cats
>> can be cruel to other animals, but they are surprisingly emotional
>> creatures. Cats enjoy a comfortable and tidy place to
>> urinate/defecate. About the only way you can stop a cat from doing
>> what it wants to do is by blocking it.
>
>I keep a small pillow handy, and when one of my cats does something I don't
>like, I yell at it and throw the pillow at it....This frightens the cat, and
>he/she learns not to do whatever it was that I don't like......This is the
>only discipline method I have done that has ever worked...But it only works
>if you do it immediately, at the time the cat is doing whatever is wrong.
>When two of my cats are hissing at each other, I do this to stop them from
>fighting, and it has sped up the process of getting them to get along with
>each other....It also has worked when they scratch on furniture or objects
>that I don't want them to deface.....Like the side of my instrument
>amplifier, for example. Cats don't like noise, and they don't like things
>thrown at them. When I first got B-K from the Burger King parking lot, he
>would run when I put on my coat in the morning. I could tell that patrons of
>the Burger King would shake their coats at him and yell to make him go away.
>It took a while to get him to realize that I wasn't trying to scare him away
>when I got dressed in the morning.

I get the feeling that cats are smarter than they look and they only
act dumb to get their own way with their owners. Somethings it's the
cat training it's owner rather than the owner training the cat.
I did managed to train my cat to go outside when I wanted him to do
outside by firmly saying the word "Out" and pointing my finger to the
back door.

Regards Brian

Dragoman
February 20th 10, 10:46 PM
MLB wrote:
> Ruslana wrote:
>>> I keep a small pillow handy, and when one of my cats does something
>>> I don't like, I yell at it and throw the pillow at it..This
>>> frightens the cat, and he/she learns not to do whatever it was
>>> that I don't like..This is the only discipline method I have done
>>> that has ever worked...But it only works if you do it immediately,
>>> at the time the cat is doing whatever is wrong.
>> If it isn't done immediately, the cat simply won't understand what
>> he/she is punished for. To stop my cat from doing what's not allowed
>> to, we used a pulverizer. When he was doing a forbidden thing such
>> as biting foam rubber, scratching the couch, etc, he was pulverized
>> immediately (with fresh&clean water, of course). In most cases
>> it did work.
>>> I get the feeling that cats are smarter than they look and they
>>> only act dumb to get their own way with their owners. Somethings
>>> it's the cat training it's owner rather than the owner training
>>> the cat.
>> As if! A lot of cat owners have spotted this. Try reading this story
>> from a cat's point of view (especially the second part of it). In
>> fact I wrote something like that too a while back, and I do think
>> it's a big question who trains whom.
>>

> Pulverize means to grind up into dust -- did you really
> mean that? If so, shame on you. MLB

This is a smiley-friendly newsgroup, asshole.

cybercat
February 20th 10, 11:17 PM
"Dragoman" > wrote in message
> MLB wrote:
>>> If it isn't done immediately, the cat simply won't understand what
>>> he/she is punished for. To stop my cat from doing what's not allowed
>>> to, we used a pulverizer. When he was doing a forbidden thing such
>>> as biting foam rubber, scratching the couch, etc, he was pulverized
>>> immediately (with fresh&clean water, of course). In most cases
>>> it did work.
>>> As if! A lot of cat owners have spotted this. Try reading this story
>>> from a cat's point of view (especially the second part of it). In
>>> fact I wrote something like that too a while back, and I do think
>>> it's a big question who trains whom.
>>>

>> Pulverize means to grind up into dust -- did you really
>> mean that? If so, shame on you. MLB
>
> This is a smiley-friendly newsgroup, asshole.

My brother!