PDA

View Full Version : EmeryCat - big mistake

YvonneD
January 28th 10, 02:11 PM
I decided to try the EmeryCat. My little cat's claws are very sharp
and tend to get stuck on things. Cutting them is a real ordeal that
requires one to cut and one to hold her down. We all end up
traumatized.

What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. The sand is
somehow glued on. When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
over the floor. I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.

My cat tried it once and wouldn't scratch on it again. However, she
did sit on it and ended up with sand in her fur. I'm sure that
licking the sand it not a good idea. I brushed her and that was the
end of EmeryCat.

Here's the rip off: The two EmeryCat's were 19.95. Not bad, right?
But - the shipping was $15. If I return them, I lose the $15 and
whatever I have to pay for the return shipping.

I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
worry about them swallowing the sand.

Bill Graham
January 29th 10, 01:44 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
>I decided to try the EmeryCat. My little cat's claws are very sharp
> and tend to get stuck on things. Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> requires one to cut and one to hold her down. We all end up
> traumatized.
>

> What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. The sand is
> somehow glued on. When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> over the floor. I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
>
> My cat tried it once and wouldn't scratch on it again. However, she
> did sit on it and ended up with sand in her fur. I'm sure that
> licking the sand it not a good idea. I brushed her and that was the
> end of EmeryCat.
>
> Here's the rip off: The two EmeryCat's were 19.95. Not bad, right?
> But - the shipping was $15. If I return them, I lose the $15 and
> whatever I have to pay for the return shipping.
>
> I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
> sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> worry about them swallowing the sand.

Hey! - You're no idiot.....I am 74 and what happened to you has happened to
me many times throughout my life. There are some people who make their
living by these kinds of rip-offs. My house is full of junk that I have no
use for, but paid good money for. Mostly because the ads didn't tell me the
whole story. They are intentionally vague about certain parameters of their
products. Dimensions, for example.....Nobody uses dimensions anymore. I was
taught to describe things by giving their height, length and width in inches
or whatever. If they held a liquid, I was also taught to describe how many
galloons or cubic centimeters it would hold. but I see junk advertised all
the time that has no dimensions or volume attached to it at all. They don't
even put a dime or foot ruler in the picture of it so you would have some
vague idea whether it is bigger than a breadbox or a football field, or
whether it is too small for a flea's living quarters. But they expect me to
order it to find out, and pay the shipping back if I don't like it. I call
this part of the, "Dumbing down of America".

bill
January 29th 10, 04:09 AM
On Jan 28, 6:11*am, YvonneD > wrote:
> I decided to try the EmeryCat. *My little cat's claws are very sharp
> and tend to get stuck on things. *Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> requires one to cut and one to hold her down. *We all end up
> traumatized.
>
> What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. *The sand is
> somehow glued on. *When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> over the floor. *I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
<snip>

I saw the infomercials for the EmeryCat. I didn't realize it
included sand, I assumed it was a cute marketing term for
cardboard. But I also saw in KMart the plain cardboard
scratching boxes were $13 and I passed on those too.

So I picked up a couple of discarded flat panel TV boxes and an
empty DVD player box at the local TV store, used a box cutter to
slice the TV boxes into strips, stacked those side by side until
I filled the DVD box, and my cat won't have a thing to do with
that either. When I sprinkled some catnip across it he did walk
over it on the way to the food. To be honest, I expected this
would happen and I'm not aggravated, I spent an hour's work and
the possibility of slicing off my thumb, saved $13 or $35 and
got the same result that you did, I think I got a bargain. So
passed it along to someone who says their cat loves these and I
haven't heard what happened.

While at KMart I got a package of five large sheets of medium
coarse sandpaper, I wish it was coarser, for about $3, am going
to attempt gluing that to a board I fished out of the dumpster
and see if he will scratch on that. I am expecting he will have
nothing to do with this and I'm ok with that too. I only wish I
could find something he would do to wear down his claws, and
that I could get the sandpaper back off the board to use for
something else later. Note: Some web pages claim cats cannot
stand the texture of sandpaper, others are selling cat
scratching devices made from sand paper. Who knows.

If anyone has any other ideas for something to get a cat to wear
down his front claws I'd appreciate the information. But he is
a very old cat now and "start getting him used to having his
claws trimmed eighteen years ago" isn't an option anymore.

The only time he has had his claws trimmed was while he was
sedated for dental surgery. I don't call him Slasher for
nothing and one vet has a blood stained note in his chart saying
"Do NOT try to touch cat's feet!" I did warn the vet as he
started to reach, but he ignored me.

January 29th 10, 07:18 AM
On Jan 28, 8:09*pm, bill > wrote:

> If anyone has any other ideas for something to get a cat to wear
> down his front claws I'd appreciate the information. *But he is
> a very old cat now and "start getting him used to having his
> claws trimmed eighteen years ago" isn't an option anymore.

Actually, scratching won't dull a cat's nails. It helps to pull off
the outer sheaths to reveal new sharp claws underneath.

cybercat
January 29th 10, 08:39 AM
"bill" > wrote

>If anyone has any other ideas for something to get a cat to wear
>down his front claws I'd appreciate the information. But he is
>a very old cat now and "start getting him used to having his
>claws trimmed eighteen years ago" isn't an option anymore.

>The only time he has had his claws trimmed was while he was
>sedated for dental surgery. I don't call him Slasher for
>nothing and one vet has a blood stained note in his chart saying
>"Do NOT try to touch cat's feet!" I did warn the vet as he
>started to reach, but he ignored me.

Good job, Stud.

YvonneD
January 29th 10, 09:17 PM
On Jan 28, 11:09*pm, bill > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 6:11*am, YvonneD > wrote:> I decided to try the EmeryCat. *My little cat's claws are very sharp
> > and tend to get stuck on things. *Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> > requires one to cut and one to hold her down. *We all end up
> > traumatized.
>
> > What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> > scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. *The sand is
> > somehow glued on. *When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> > over the floor. *I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
>
> <snip>
>
> I saw the infomercials for the EmeryCat. *I didn't realize it
> included sand, I assumed it was a cute marketing term for
> cardboard. *But I also saw in KMart the plain cardboard
> scratching boxes were $13 and I passed on those too.
>
> So I picked up a couple of discarded flat panel TV boxes and an
> empty DVD player box at the local TV store, used a box cutter to
> slice the TV boxes into strips, stacked those side by side until
> I filled the DVD box, and my cat won't have a thing to do with
> that either. *When I sprinkled some catnip across it he did walk
> over it on the way to the food. *To be honest, I expected this
> would happen and I'm not aggravated, I spent an hour's work and
> the possibility of slicing off my thumb, saved $13 or $35 and
> got the same result that you did, I think I got a bargain. *So
> passed it along to someone who says their cat loves these and I
> haven't heard what happened.
>
> While at KMart I got a package of five large sheets of medium
> coarse sandpaper, I wish it was coarser, for about $3, am going
> to attempt gluing that to a board I fished out of the dumpster
> and see if he will scratch on that. *I am expecting he will have
> nothing to do with this and I'm ok with that too. *I only wish I
> could find something he would do to wear down his claws, and
> that I could get the sandpaper back off the board to use for
> something else later. *Note: Some web pages claim cats cannot
> stand the texture of sandpaper, others are selling cat
> scratching devices made from sand paper. *Who knows.
>
> If anyone has any other ideas for something to get a cat to wear
> down his front claws I'd appreciate the information. *But he is
> a very old cat now and "start getting him used to having his
> claws trimmed eighteen years ago" isn't an option anymore.
>
> The only time he has had his claws trimmed was while he was
> sedated for dental surgery. *I don't call him Slasher for
> nothing and one vet has a blood stained note in his chart saying
> "Do NOT try to touch cat's feet!" I did warn the vet as he
> started to reach, but he ignored me.

Hmmm. My cats actually love those cardboard scratching boards. The
only problem is you end up with cardboard confetti all over the floor.

Anyway, the EmeryCat is supposed to help shorten the cat's nails. I
assumed it would be similar to sandpaper but more durable. Wrong! It
was just plain sand.

So here's a question for others - would sandpaper glued to something
work? I don't want to do anything that would harm the cat.

January 30th 10, 12:45 AM
On Jan 29, 1:17*pm, YvonneD > wrote:
> On Jan 28, 11:09*pm, bill > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 28, 6:11*am, YvonneD > wrote:> I decided to try the EmeryCat. *My little cat's claws are very sharp
> > > and tend to get stuck on things. *Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> > > requires one to cut and one to hold her down. *We all end up
> > > traumatized.
>
> > > What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> > > scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. *The sand is
> > > somehow glued on. *When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> > > over the floor. *I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.

Bill Graham
January 30th 10, 03:33 AM
On Jan 28, 8:09 pm, bill > wrote:

> If anyone has any other ideas for something to get a cat to wear
> down his front claws I'd appreciate the information. But he is
> a very old cat now and "start getting him used to having his
> claws trimmed eighteen years ago" isn't an option anymore.

Actually, scratching won't dull a cat's nails. It helps to pull off
the outer sheaths to reveal new sharp claws underneath.

One of the funniest photos I ever saw was a stuffed chair in the home of a
couple of guys in San Francisco who kept a pet lion in their apartment. This
lion had reduced this huge overstuffed chair to unrecognizeablity......It
was nothing but a pile of mixed up springs, wood and chair stuffing.....:^)

Netmask[_2_]
January 30th 10, 04:42 AM
On 29/01/2010 01:11, YvonneD wrote:
> I decided to try the EmeryCat. My little cat's claws are very sharp
> and tend to get stuck on things. Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> requires one to cut and one to hold her down. We all end up
> traumatized.
>

> What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. The sand is
> somehow glued on. When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> over the floor. I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
>
> My cat tried it once and wouldn't scratch on it again. However, she
> did sit on it and ended up with sand in her fur. I'm sure that
> licking the sand it not a good idea. I brushed her and that was the
> end of EmeryCat.
>
> Here's the rip off: The two EmeryCat's were 19.95. Not bad, right?
> But - the shipping was $15. If I return them, I lose the $15 and
> whatever I have to pay for the return shipping.
>
> I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
> sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> worry about them swallowing the sand.

I started to file my Burmese cat's nails with an emery board from 3
months, so this does all the layers at once - now he expects it in the
bathroom in the morning - after I cross my legs and wait for my master
to finish his morning pee in the toilet bowl he pops up on to the chair
and waits to be brushed and nails attended to. LOL I will post a video
sometime - who said you can't train cats... it's all a battle of wills..

Kelly Greene
January 30th 10, 12:44 PM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
> I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
> sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> worry about them swallowing the sand.

I learned from friends long ago never to order anything you see on TV. I'm
just curious; didn't you know how much the S&H would be before your ordered
it?

January 31st 10, 07:16 AM
On Jan 30, 4:44*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> > I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. *I'm
> > sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> > worry about them swallowing the sand.
>
> I learned from friends long ago never to order anything you see on TV. *I'm
> just curious; didn't you know how much the S&H would be before your ordered
> it?

I haven't seen that ad recently, so I don't know if the posted it. But
I have found that a lot of ads do not list the shipping, and at least
online, they won't tell you until after you enter your credit card.
And unlike reputable stores, they consider the purchase final as soon
as you enter your card, and do not allow you to cancel after that.

Mustang5
January 31st 10, 08:05 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
>I decided to try the EmeryCat. My little cat's claws are very sharp
> and tend to get stuck on things. Cutting them is a real ordeal that
> requires one to cut and one to hold her down. We all end up
> traumatized.
>

> What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
> scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. The sand is
> somehow glued on. When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
> over the floor. I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
>
> My cat tried it once and wouldn't scratch on it again. However, she
> did sit on it and ended up with sand in her fur. I'm sure that
> licking the sand it not a good idea. I brushed her and that was the
> end of EmeryCat.
>
> Here's the rip off: The two EmeryCat's were 19.95. Not bad, right?
> But - the shipping was $15. If I return them, I lose the $15 and
> whatever I have to pay for the return shipping.
>
> I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
> sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> worry about them swallowing the sand.

Don't feel bad - we ordered them too, and my cat will have nothing to do
with it, even with the little fuzzy tail hanging over it.

cybercat
January 31st 10, 09:22 PM
"Mustang5" > wrote in message

> "YvonneD" > wrote in message
>>I decided to try the EmeryCat. My little cat's claws are very sharp
>> and tend to get stuck on things. Cutting them is a real ordeal that
>> requires one to cut and one to hold her down. We all end up
>> traumatized.
>>

>> What the EmeryCat is, is just those regular corrugated cardboard
>> scratching boards with one side covered with a fine sand. The sand is
>> somehow glued on. When I opened the package, loose sand spilled all
>> over the floor. I shook off anything that was loose and put it down.
>>
>> My cat tried it once and wouldn't scratch on it again. However, she
>> did sit on it and ended up with sand in her fur. I'm sure that
>> licking the sand it not a good idea. I brushed her and that was the
>> end of EmeryCat.
>>
>> Here's the rip off: The two EmeryCat's were 19.95. Not bad, right?
>> But - the shipping was $15. If I return them, I lose the $15 and
>> whatever I have to pay for the return shipping.
>>
>> I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. I'm
>> sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
>> worry about them swallowing the sand.
>
> Don't feel bad - we ordered them too, and my cat will have nothing to do
> with it, even with the little fuzzy tail hanging over it.

I was thinking about buying one, so I appreciate the information.

YvonneD
February 1st 10, 01:22 AM
On Jan 30, 7:44*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> > I feel like an idiot, but I was really hoping they would work. *I'm
> > sure there are cats out there that would love it, but I still would
> > worry about them swallowing the sand.
>
> I learned from friends long ago never to order anything you see on TV. *I'm
> just curious; didn't you know how much the S&H would be before your ordered
> it?

I should have known about the double S&H charge, but somehow I didn't
think about it until after I had accepted the order. It was really my
own fault, but to be perfectly honest, if this item had done what it
promised I wouldn't have minded. What gets me is that even though
I've sent them back I still have to eat the $15 I paid for shipping
the order and the $5 I paid to return it. Still - better than
nothing. I look at it as the price of learning a lesson the hard way.

February 2nd 10, 10:16 AM
On Jan 31, 9:27*am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> On Jan 30, 4:44 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>
> > I learned from friends long ago never to order anything you see on TV. I'm
> > just curious; didn't you know how much the S&H would be before your
> > ordered
> > it?
>
> I haven't seen that ad recently, so I don't know if the posted it. But
> I have found that a lot of ads do not list the shipping and at least
> online, they won't tell you until after you enter your credit card.
>
> ::: At THAT point you close the window and leave the site. *S&H should be
> clearly stated BEFORE you enter your CC number. *My husband and I order
> things online quite often these days. The S&H is right there before the
> number is entered. If not, they lost our business.

I do now, but most stores make you confirm the purchase at the end,
so it isn't a red flag unless you have been warned or experienced it
before.

I've found several since then, and I either close the window and never
return. Or I email the company to confirm shipping cost first. But I
can see how people will fall for it since it is not a normal practice
to finalize at the time of cc entry.