PDA

View Full Version : Sliming an over weight cat

Brian[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 02:59 AM
My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.

Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

harry
February 3rd 10, 02:59 AM
On Feb 2, 8:59*pm, Brian > wrote:
> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
> has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
> bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
> does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
> bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
> giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
> a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.
>
> Regards Brian

Hello,

Give kitty dry food 24 hours a day and water, and nothing else.
Make sure you use a GOOD and proper grade/type of cat food.

Truly

Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

Brian[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 01:15 PM
harry > wrote:

>On Feb 2, 8:59*pm, Brian > wrote:
>> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
>> has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
>> bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
>> does not get food until his next feed. I've heard that crash diets are
>> bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
>> giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
>> a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be welcome thanks.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>

>Hello,
>
>Give kitty dry food 24 hours a day and water, and nothing else.
>Make sure you use a GOOD and proper grade/type of cat food.
>
>Truly
>
>Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

But I've only been feeding him on dry food and water to drink and
nothing else.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 01:18 PM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
>> has food in his bowel all the time.
>
>Which is the worst way to feed housecats as you found out.
>
>Should I put less food in his
>> bowel and give him 3 meals a day so when he runs out of food then he
>> does not get food until his next feed.
>
>No matter how you do it he has to take in LESS calories to lose weight.
>Getting him moving will also help. You can look into canned foods that don't
>contain grains and corn which are very fattening.
>
>I've heard that crash diets are
>> bad for people so I guess that applies to animals as well. I tried
>> giving him a low fat diet cat food (he eats cat biscuits that come in
>> a 3 kg bag) but he would eat more of it.
>
>He can't eat more of anything unless YOU put it in his bowl. Get the
>fattening grains out of his diet.
>A few good sites:
>
>Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
>History of dry food (a must-read article):
>http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php
>http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
>http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
>www.rawfedcats.org

Thanks Kelly.
I'll do some research on the sites you've given me.
I don't think there's anyway to get him moving at his age (unless a
dog was chasing him).

Regards Brian

Rene
February 5th 10, 08:18 PM
> Thanks Kelly.
> I'll do some research on the sites you've given me.
> I don't think there's anyway to get him moving at his age (unless a
> dog was chasing him).
>
> Regards Brian

Yes, Kelly has provided some excellent links. Our oldest cat was once
very overweight. I tried "prescription" dry food over the course of a
year, only to have him gain MORE weight. Finally, I switched to a
grain-free wet food and he slowly lost the weight (and has kept it off
for five years).

See his weight loss web site: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/tucker/

---MIKE---
February 5th 10, 10:57 PM
Just feed a grain free canned food twice a day. No free feeding. Put
the canned food down and after a half hour, remove it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Stan Brown
February 6th 10, 03:29 AM
Where are the ghostbusters when we need them?

"I've been slimmed!"

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Stan Brown
February 6th 10, 03:30 AM
Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian >:
> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
> has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
> bowel

Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
his mouth.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Bill Graham
February 6th 10, 04:17 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian >:
>> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
>> has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
>> bowel
>
> Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
> it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
> his mouth.

You mean, "Try putting it in his moweth"?

Stan Brown
February 6th 10, 01:13 PM
Fri, 5 Feb 2010 19:17:33 -0800 from Bill Graham >:

> "Stan Brown" > wrote in message
> t...
> > Wed, 03 Feb 2010 13:59:12 +1200 from Brian >:
> >> My cat has grown huge due to the lack of exercise and the fact that he
> >> has food in his bowel all the time. Should I put less food in his
> >> bowel
> >
> > Putting food in his bowel will cause an obstruction. You want to put
> > it in his dish; or, if you must insert it directly into his body, try
> > his mouth.
> >
> You mean, "Try putting it in his moweth"?

Or his "meoweth"? :-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Kelly Greene
February 6th 10, 01:32 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> "Kelly Greene" > wrote:
>>Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
>>History of dry food (a must-read article):
>>http://www.catnutrition.org/diabetes.php
>>http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
>>http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
>>www.rawfedcats.org
>

> Thanks Kelly.
> I'll do some research on the sites you've given me.
> I don't think there's anyway to get him moving at his age (unless a
> dog was chasing him).
>
> Regards Brian

I just reposted this same information again - sorry! It appeared my post
got lost in space. :) You may not get him moving but you can get him on a
good diet feeding the correct food. He'll lose the weight.