PDA

View Full Version : Clawing at Couch

CatNipped[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 03:12 AM
I recently got the *perfect* little sofa for my sitting room - we found it
at the Good Will store for only $80!! It's the perfect style and perfect
color for the room (the color is a bit hard to see in these photos, but it
exactly matches my wall paint.

http://www.possibleplaces.com/couch/

The problem is my clowder love to use the bottom end as a scratching post
(I've done all the usual - clip claws every week, have at least two (if not
more) scratching posts in every room, used "Keep Away" - all to no avail!

If you look closely at the pictures you'll see where I put duct tape, sticky
side out over their favorite spot. So far it's working - a few have walked
up to it to sniff it, but nobody has yet rolled around on the floor clawing
at it as usual.

My question is, how long should I leave the duct tape on? I'm afraid that,
as soon as I take it off, they'll go right back to clawing it.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See our clowder at http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Brian[_2_]
February 3rd 10, 01:30 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote:

>I recently got the *perfect* little sofa for my sitting room - we found it
>at the Good Will store for only $80!! It's the perfect style and perfect
>color for the room (the color is a bit hard to see in these photos, but it
>exactly matches my wall paint.
>
>http://www.possibleplaces.com/couch/
>
>The problem is my clowder love to use the bottom end as a scratching post
>(I've done all the usual - clip claws every week, have at least two (if not
>more) scratching posts in every room, used "Keep Away" - all to no avail!
>
>If you look closely at the pictures you'll see where I put duct tape, sticky
>side out over their favorite spot. So far it's working - a few have walked
>up to it to sniff it, but nobody has yet rolled around on the floor clawing
>at it as usual.
>
>My question is, how long should I leave the duct tape on? I'm afraid that,
>as soon as I take it off, they'll go right back to clawing it.

You could put a couch cover over the couch while you find out if your
cat is going to scratch your couch. Couch covers are cheaper to
replace than repairing your couch. Someone in this newsgroup suggested
spraying the cat with water when he does something he should not do.
You could also hang an old cloth at the ends of the couch and choose
the type of cloth that the cat is likely to get his craws tangled in,
this might train him not to scratch your couch.

Regards Brian

Kathy
February 3rd 10, 04:51 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> I recently got the *perfect* little sofa for my sitting room - we found it
> at the Good Will store for only $80!! It's the perfect style and perfect
> color for the room (the color is a bit hard to see in these photos, but it
> exactly matches my wall paint.
>
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/couch/
>
> The problem is my clowder love to use the bottom end as a scratching post
> (I've done all the usual - clip claws every week, have at least two (if not
> more) scratching posts in every room, used "Keep Away" - all to no avail!
>
> If you look closely at the pictures you'll see where I put duct tape, sticky
> side out over their favorite spot. So far it's working - a few have walked
> up to it to sniff it, but nobody has yet rolled around on the floor clawing
> at it as usual.
>
> My question is, how long should I leave the duct tape on? I'm afraid that,
> as soon as I take it off, they'll go right back to clawing it.

I had the same problem and bought clear plastic tape at the pet store,
which was sticky on both sides. It's not very noticeable and the cat
won't touch it.

Kathy

Petzl
February 3rd 10, 09:59 PM
>"CatNipped" > wrote:
>
>>I recently got the *perfect* little sofa for my sitting room - we found it
>>at the Good Will store for only $80!! It's the perfect style and perfect
>>color for the room (the color is a bit hard to see in these photos, but it
>>exactly matches my wall paint.
>>
>>http://www.possibleplaces.com/couch/
>>
>>The problem is my clowder love to use the bottom end as a scratching post
>>(I've done all the usual - clip claws every week, have at least two (if not
>>more) scratching posts in every room, used "Keep Away" - all to no avail!
[snip)
http://tinyurl.com/yhkk5c6
The solution by another post was well I came up with an interesting
and effective solution all by my lonesome! I purchased some of those
plastic carpet protectors with the spikes on the bottom, and
fashioned "arm covers" out of them with the spikes sticking out. They
sit on the corners of the couch in the areas where the cats like to
scratch (both on the arms and the back corners of the one couch that
floats). They are pretty sturdy so I was able to cut, bend and staple
them into form fitting covers without having to do a thing to the
leather. I can remove them just by lifting them off when I want to.
The cats are both using the heck out of the scratchers now, and
hopefully I will be able to remove the protection after a few months
and they will have successfully been "trained." Woot!
Petzl
--
Our parliaments need to obey our Constitutions,
the judiciary must apply the law

Rene
February 5th 10, 08:20 PM
> I had the same problem and bought clear plastic tape at the pet store,
> which was sticky on both sides. *It's not very noticeable and the cat
> won't touch it.

I use this too. Target sells a brand of tape for about $5 per roll;
must cheaper than Sticky Paws brand and it works just as well IMO.

Also, you need to have a scratcher that the cats want/like to use
right near those spots on the couch. Once they are using that
scratcher instead, slowly remove sections of the tape and they will
leave the couch alone.

John Doe
February 7th 10, 07:50 AM
Rene > wrote:

> Also, you need to have a scratcher that the cats want/like to use
> right near those spots on the couch. Once they are using that
> scratcher instead, slowly remove sections of the tape and they will
> leave the couch alone.

Yes, scratching is not just to tear up stuff, scratching/clawing is
how they exercise their upper body. Unlike some humans, cats eagerly
exercise when the exercise equipment is available.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

cybercat
February 7th 10, 08:29 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> Rene > wrote:
>
>> Also, you need to have a scratcher that the cats want/like to use
>> right near those spots on the couch. Once they are using that
>> scratcher instead, slowly remove sections of the tape and they will
>> leave the couch alone.
>
> Yes, scratching is not just to tear up stuff, scratching/clawing is
> how they exercise their upper body. Unlike some humans, cats eagerly
> exercise when the exercise equipment is available.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Speak for yourself. Some of us love to exercise. And your photos, like you,
are creepy, that is why nobody is commenting. Are you stalking that
newswoman?

John Doe
February 7th 10, 09:02 AM
"cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

> "John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote
>> Rene <rjschweitzer aol.com> wrote:

>>> Also, you need to have a scratcher that the cats want/like to
>>> use right near those spots on the couch. Once they are using
>>> that scratcher instead, slowly remove sections of the tape and
>>> they will leave the couch alone.
>>
>> Yes, scratching is not just to tear up stuff,
>> scratching/clawing is how they exercise their upper body.
>> Unlike some humans, cats eagerly exercise when the exercise
>> equipment is available.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/
>
> Speak for yourself. Some of us love to exercise. And your
> photos, like you, are creepy,

Says an attention starved troll who does not provide exercise
equipment nearly as elaborate as what mine have.

> that is why nobody is commenting. Are you stalking that
> newswoman?

I posted that one hour ago, but... Another possibility when no one
replies is that, unlike the regular troll JudgeMental, maybe the
author is not desperately seeking attention.
--

> From: "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Clawing at Couch
> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 02:29:15 -0500

cybercat
February 7th 10, 09:15 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, scratching is not just to tear up stuff,
>>> scratching/clawing is how they exercise their upper body.
>>> Unlike some humans, cats eagerly exercise when the exercise
>>> equipment is available.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/
>>
>> Speak for yourself. Some of us love to exercise. And your
>> photos, like you, are creepy,
>
> Says an attention starved troll who does not provide exercise
> equipment nearly as elaborate as what mine have.
>
>> that is why nobody is commenting. Are you stalking that
>> newswoman?
>
> I posted that one hour ago, but... Another possibility when no one
> replies is that, unlike the regular troll JudgeMental, maybe the
> author is not desperately seeking attention.
> --

>> From: "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com>
>> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> Subject: Re: Clawing at Couch
>> Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 02:29:15 -0500

I'll take that as a "yes," you are stalking that newswoman.

John Doe
April 8th 10, 07:29 AM
"cybercat" > wrote:

> I'll take that as a "yes," you are stalking that newswoman.

When I post a link to my pictures, from here in this group, you
are supposed to look at my cats skyway, not my single picture of
Stephanie Abrams.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

cybercat
April 8th 10, 09:04 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> I'll take that as a "yes," you are stalking that newswoman.
>
> When I post a link to my pictures, from here in this group, you
> are supposed to look at my cats skyway, not my single picture of
> Stephanie Abrams.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Your control freakishness is out of control, Mark.

John Doe
April 8th 10, 04:17 PM
"cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:

> "John Doe" <jdoe usenetlove.invalid> wrote
>> "cybercat" <cyberpurrs yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'll take that as a "yes," you are stalking that newswoman.
>>
>> When I post a link to my pictures, from here in this group, you
>> are supposed to look at my cats skyway, not my single picture of
>> Stephanie Abrams.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210 N04/
>
> Your control freakishness is out of control, Mark.

Says a control freak troll who wants to stop people from talking
about their cats here in this cats group.

You are free post whatever you want, JudgeMental, but everyone
will know that when you insult them for talking about their cats,
they should not take it personally, it is just the way you are on
the Internet.