PDA

View Full Version : Opinions - kittens for old cat?

jmc
February 23rd 10, 10:07 PM
Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very
quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and
on medication.

She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.

Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.

The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
be a ginger tom.

So we have three choices here:

1. Do nothing
2. Adopt the male
3. Adopt the female
4. Adopt both

Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
whether successful or not.

jmc

jmc
February 23rd 10, 11:05 PM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (2/23/2010 5:07 PM):
> Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
> She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very
> quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and
> on medication.
>
> She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
> would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.
>
> Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
> kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
> personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.
>
> The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
> be a ginger tom.
>
> So we have three choices here:
>
> 1. Do nothing
> 2. Adopt the male
> 3. Adopt the female
> 4. Adopt both
>
> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
> whether successful or not.
>
> jmc

Man, I should proofread closer. "Since I adopted her at 12 weeks old"
and "they think the sire is a local ginger tom".

jmc

Rene
February 24th 10, 03:20 PM
IMO, I would adopt both kittens. They can play together and not
"bother" Meep as much. But, even if they don't play, they will be
companions for her. Our oldest (11) doesn't play much with our
youngest (1), but it's still companionship.

cybercat
February 24th 10, 04:22 PM
"Rene" > wrote in message
> IMO, I would adopt both kittens. They can play together and not
> "bother" Meep as much. But, even if they don't play, they will be
> companions for her. Our oldest (11) doesn't play much with our
> youngest (1), but it's still companionship.

My 10-11 year old is really enjoying our kitten. It's been hisses and swats
on a declining scale since we brought the baby home at 8 weeks Thanksgiving.
Now they are hanging out together. Not quite snuggling, but we find them
together coexisting on, say, the same couch a few feet apart, dozing, or on
my bed. Gracie keeps the high ground in case the kitten goes into stalking
mode. :) The coolest thing is, the kitten (who is overall very polite and
gentle for a kitten, just as Gracie is for a cat) has really shaken Gracie's
world up in a good way. I think Gracie was bored. She was sleeping a lot
more (meaning, like, 23 hours a day instead of 18!) and such. Now she gets
crazy-frisky more often out of the blue, and for the first time ever, she
hopped up on the couch when I was having dinner on a tv tray and showed
interest in my food. Totally weird, she is one of those cats that has never
cared about people food or treats. But the kitten is a beggar and a chow
hound. :) I was so stunned, I let Gracie lick my chicken. She did this then
ran away like "whoah, I can't believe I did that!"

I think it is unusual, and not usually the case, but it has been good for
our older cat to have the company of a kitten. That said, I should point out
that we have given them each their own spaces to retreat to since the first
day, and I have been diligent about giving Gracie breaks when the kitten was
in 24/7 stalking mode. :)

Matthew[_3_]
February 24th 10, 04:32 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rene" > wrote in message
>> IMO, I would adopt both kittens. They can play together and not
>> "bother" Meep as much. But, even if they don't play, they will be
>> companions for her. Our oldest (11) doesn't play much with our
>> youngest (1), but it's still companionship.
>
> My 10-11 year old is really enjoying our kitten. It's been hisses and
> swats on a declining scale since we brought the baby home at 8 weeks
> Thanksgiving. Now they are hanging out together. Not quite snuggling, but
> we find them together coexisting on, say, the same couch a few feet apart,
> dozing, or on my bed. Gracie keeps the high ground in case the kitten goes
> into stalking mode. :) The coolest thing is, the kitten (who is overall
> very polite and gentle for a kitten, just as Gracie is for a cat) has
> really shaken Gracie's world up in a good way. I think Gracie was bored.
> She was sleeping a lot more (meaning, like, 23 hours a day instead of 18!)
> and such. Now she gets crazy-frisky more often out of the blue, and for
> the first time ever, she hopped up on the couch when I was having dinner
> on a tv tray and showed interest in my food. Totally weird, she is one of
> those cats that has never cared about people food or treats. But the
> kitten is a beggar and a chow hound. :) I was so stunned, I let Gracie
> lick my chicken. She did this then ran away like "whoah, I can't believe I
> did that!"
>
> I think it is unusual, and not usually the case, but it has been good for
> our older cat to have the company of a kitten. That said, I should point
> out that we have given them each their own spaces to retreat to since the
> first day, and I have been diligent about giving Gracie breaks when the
> kitten was in 24/7 stalking mode. :)
Same here for mine cyber ka'shay I believe was in depression of a sorts
after Spirit died in 2008 and Rumble was always stand offish with all of
them.

With Jammer coming into the home. Him and Ka'shay who I called the golden
kids drive each other nuts in a good way. Some times even rumble gets
involved

With Phantoms death in November of 2009. Rumble has become more loving.
Leads me to believe he was jealous of Phantom and spirit since both were
always next to me but I never showed any favoritism.

Now if I can get jammer to leave limo alone who truly wants to be the only
cat in the house but that ain't going to happen and she knows it.

Debbie[_3_]
February 24th 10, 09:38 PM
On Feb 23, 5:07*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
> She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. *She's a very
> quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. *She's arthritic and
> on medication.
>
> She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
> would do her good. *But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.
>
> Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
> kittens. *One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
> personality". *The other is a longhaired calico girl.
>
> The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
> be a ginger tom.
>
> So we have three choices here:
>
> 1. *Do nothing
> 2. *Adopt the male
> 3. *Adopt the female
> 4. *Adopt both
>
> Opinions? *Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
> whether successful or not.
>
> jmc

Get both kittens. They will play and pounce on each other and won't
constantly bother her. She will be entertained by watching them and
participating when she wants. A friend of mine had an older cat,
adopted two kittens and the older cat really perked up. The older one
washed the babies, cuddled, and played with them, but also got some
space and relaxation time to himself.

Good luck,
Debbie

Bill Graham
February 25th 10, 12:05 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat. She's
> not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very quiet cat
> but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and on
> medication.
>
> She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
> would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.
>
> Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable kittens.
> One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great personality". The
> other is a longhaired calico girl.
>
> The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to be
> a ginger tom.
>
> So we have three choices here:
>
> 1. Do nothing
> 2. Adopt the male
> 3. Adopt the female
> 4. Adopt both
>
> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things - whether
> successful or not.
>
> jmc

Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and I
can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is better
than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which one you wish
you had never adopted.......

Mark Earnest
February 25th 10, 12:28 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat. She's
>> not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very quiet cat
>> but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and on
>> medication.
>>
>> She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
>> would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.
>>
>> Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
>> kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
>> personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.
>>
>> The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to be
>> a ginger tom.
>>
>> So we have three choices here:
>>
>> 1. Do nothing
>> 2. Adopt the male
>> 3. Adopt the female
>> 4. Adopt both
>>
>> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things - whether
>> successful or not.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and I
> can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is better
> than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which one you
> wish you had never adopted.......

And if some of the cats don't like each other?

Bill Graham
February 25th 10, 12:39 AM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
netamerica...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Many of you here know Meep, my 13 year old, spayed female only cat.
>>> She's not lived with another cat since I adopted her. She's a very
>>> quiet cat but still does get the rips on occasion. She's arthritic and
>>> on medication.
>>>
>>> She's a needy cat, and I keep thinking maybe another feline companion
>>> would do her good. But then I don't get one, 'cause I'm not sure.
>>>
>>> Currently, someone at work is looking for homes for some adorable
>>> kittens. One is a tuxedo male with white paws, with a "great
>>> personality". The other is a longhaired calico girl.
>>>
>>> The mama is a purebred Maine Coon; the sire is unknown but expected to
>>> be a ginger tom.
>>>
>>> So we have three choices here:
>>>
>>> 1. Do nothing
>>> 2. Adopt the male
>>> 3. Adopt the female
>>> 4. Adopt both
>>>
>>> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
>>> whether successful or not.
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and I
>> can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is better
>> than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which one you
>> wish you had never adopted.......
>
> And if some of the cats don't like each other?

In that case, you should go to a Japanese sword shop, buy the finest Seppuku
blade you can afford, kneel in front of a shrine of your God or Gods, and
commit Hara-Kari........

Mark Earnest
February 25th 10, 01:24 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
> netamerica...

>>> Yeah.....I'll go along with the others.....Get both cats. I have 5, and
>>> I can tell you from experience, one cat is not enough. And three is
>>> better than two. Adopt both, and come back in a year and tell us which
>>> one you wish you had never adopted.......
>>
>> And if some of the cats don't like each other?
>>

> In that case, you should go to a Japanese sword shop, buy the finest
> Seppuku blade you can afford, kneel in front of a shrine of your God or
> Gods, and commit Hara-Kari........

Facetiously, in other words...live with it...
Hope the warring cats can.

jmc
February 25th 10, 11:30 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (2/24/2010 8:58 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> So we have three choices here:
>>
>> 1. Do nothing
>> 2. Adopt the male
>> 3. Adopt the female
>> 4. Adopt both
>>
>> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
>> whether successful or not.
>
> Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
> love the company. :)

Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set
of choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
something...

jmc

Mark Earnest
February 25th 10, 11:46 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (2/24/2010 8:58 PM):
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> So we have three choices here:
>>>
>>> 1. Do nothing
>>> 2. Adopt the male
>>> 3. Adopt the female
>>> 4. Adopt both
>>>
>>> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
>>> whether successful or not.
>>
>> Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
>> love the company. :)
>
> Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set of
> choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
> something...
>
> jmc

There's a million kitties out there all just asking for a home.
Select the one that purrs at your touch.

Bill Graham
February 26th 10, 12:30 AM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
netamerica...

> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
>> netamerica...

>>> And if some of the cats don't like each other?
>>>

>> In that case, you should go to a Japanese sword shop, buy the finest
>> Seppuku blade you can afford, kneel in front of a shrine of your God or
>> Gods, and commit Hara-Kari........
>
> Facetiously, in other words...live with it...
> Hope the warring cats can.

Sorry I was so sarcastic.....(It's a failing of mine) But, after all She
didn't ask for a guarantee.....All she was asking for was advice, so I gave
mine. Sure, there could be a problem, but I doubt if it would be a serious
one.....After all, cats got along with one another in the wild for millions
of years before we humans came along.......And when they are living with us
humans. all their serious problems are gone, and all they have to do is
sleep all day and play......

jmc
February 26th 10, 03:04 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Mark Earnest exclaimed (2/25/2010 6:46 PM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Kelly Greene exclaimed (2/24/2010 8:58 PM):

>>> Take them both! They sound wonderful. Your old cat will adjust and may
>>> love the company. :)
>> Sadly, they were already claimed. But see my new post for the next set of
>> choices. Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
>> something...
>>
>> jmc
>
> There's a million kitties out there all just asking for a home.
> Select the one that purrs at your touch.

Well, it has to be the one that purrs at *hubby's* touch. And I have to
convince him to take that step to get close enough to let that happen.

We're getting closer though. This campaign has been going on for a while :)

jmc

Stan Brown
February 26th 10, 06:46 PM
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:07:45 -0500 from jmc
>:

> Opinions? Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
> whether successful or not.

There's no telling. Imagine how a 70-year-old human would feel who
suddenly had to share a house with a four-year-old!

But, just as in my analogy, I think everything depends on their
personalities. They might really take to each other, or they might
not. I would definitely not try two kittens at once, because that
doubles the opportunities for a conflict.

Is there any way you can take a kitten "on approval" to see how well
Meep gets along with the newcomer and make sure that Meep doesn't
show any unfavorable behavioral changes?

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Rene
February 26th 10, 09:26 PM
> Sadly, they were already claimed. *But see my new post for the next set
> of choices. *Told Hubby today that the Universe is trying to tell him
> something...

Did I miss somethng? I didn't see the new choices?

Maybe this will work out for the best. If you talk to a shelter or
rescue group, they can help you match personalities.

yngver
March 7th 10, 05:20 AM
On Feb 26, 12:46*pm, Stan Brown > wrote:
> Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:07:45 -0500 from jmc
> >:
>
> > Opinions? *Especially from folks who have attempted such things -
> > whether successful or not.
>
> There's no telling. *Imagine how a 70-year-old human would feel who
> suddenly had to share a house with a four-year-old!
>
> But, just as in my analogy, I think everything depends on their
> personalities. *They might really take to each other, or they might
> not. I would definitely not try two kittens at once, because that
> doubles the opportunities for a conflict.
>
> Is there any way you can take a kitten "on approval" to see how well
> Meep gets along with the newcomer and make sure that Meep doesn't
> show any unfavorable behavioral changes?
>
> --
I just wanted to add that adopting a kitten when you have an older cat
that is used to having you all to herself doesn't always work out.
Years ago, I did this and my cat, who was about 12 at the time, was
really angry--at me. She ignored the kitten but it was me she was
hissing at, because I think she felt betrayed. In time things settled
down but she never liked the new cat much, and they never played or
slept together.

On the other hand, as others have posted, sometimes the kitten and
older cat do get along fine, after an adjustment period. What you have
to watch out for is when you have an obnoxious kitten that pesters the
old cat all the time wanting to play, and gets in her favorite places.
The older cat will need some places of her own where she can get away
from the kitten if she feels the need, especially if she is arthritic.
I know with our cat with arthritis, it made her feel vulnerable and
she would avoid situations and areas where she thought she might not
be able to get away from the other cats fast enough.