PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian Wood Cat's

ensoul[_2_]
February 27th 10, 04:27 AM
I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
shedding. My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.

I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds. In
apperance the look is exactly like the breed. And they were prob.
dumped as kittens in a pillow case because some heartless, idiot &
careless owner didn't take the care needed to have Mom cat the stud be
a full breed. There were 5 of them, their 3 sister's died. Mutt & Jeff
(thier SPCA names) lived there for the first 8 months of their life.

I do know the controversery on indoor vs outdoor cats. I have no
choice since the apartment complex I'm in doesn't allow cats outside
unless on a leash. They're now almost 5 yrs old don't think I could
train them to a leash.

I'm limited when it comes to playing with them because of chronic
pain. I do rotate their toys and am always looking for new ones. They
have a 3 ft tall straching post along with a 6 ft one, the type they
can climb all over.

Since the death of my husband my income has dropped to the poverty
level, was forced to go on Social Security Disbaility -- after 3
doctors said you can't work. And NO I'm not looking for the pity
vote, just explaining my circumstances.

Does anyone else have this breed?
Would appreciate any tips
I live in small 2 bdrm place, my guys weigh in at 17 lbs a piece.
Can a place be too small for cats?
Major hairballs and this liquid nasties they bring up. I do use the
expensive stuff for hairballs (can't think of the name) from my vet.
They won't take have play wrestle mania with them to rub in on their
paws (no easy task given their size & stregnth)

Lynn

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
~George Carlin

Christine BA[_3_]
February 27th 10, 08:57 AM
27.2.2010 6:27, ensoul kirjoitti:
<snip>
> Does anyone else have this breed?
> Would appreciate any tips
> I live in small 2 bdrm place, my guys weigh in at 17 lbs a piece.
> Can a place be too small for cats?
> Major hairballs and this liquid nasties they bring up. I do use the
> expensive stuff for hairballs (can't think of the name) from my vet.
> They won't take have play wrestle mania with them to rub in on their
> paws (no easy task given their size& stregnth)
>
> Lynn

I don't have that breed, nor any other long haired cat breed, but I just
thought to toss in some ideas.
- do you / can you brush them regularly (preferrably daily, but a few
times a week at least)? Long-haired kitties really need to be brushed.
That would cut down on the hair they ingest while cleaning themselves
and later throw up as hairballs.
- a toy that would have them move and not you would be the kind with a
mousie or some such attached to a string, which in turn is attached to a
stick - making the contraption like a small fishing pole with a caught
mousie. You move the toy and they chase it.
- another toy making them move, if they go for it is a laser pointer,
they chase the red dot on the floor or wall or wherever you point it,
and you only have to move your hand a bit.

--
Christine in Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com

cshenk
February 27th 10, 02:06 PM
"ensoul" wrote

> I live in small 2 bdrm place, my guys weigh in at 17 lbs a piece.
> Can a place be too small for cats?

It's probably ok. Oh, bigger is 'nice' but that should be enough room.

> Major hairballs and this liquid nasties they bring up. I do use the
> expensive stuff for hairballs (can't think of the name) from my vet.
> They won't take have play wrestle mania with them to rub in on their
> paws (no easy task given their size & stregnth)

Hi Lynn, run this one by your vet but it may help. I add rendered meat fats
(salt free) to my cat (and dog's) food and never have hairball problems.
Chicken, duck, pork fat. All stuff that's fine for them. Olive oil too
(not the fancy type, just regular cooking sorts).

dejablues[_4_]
March 6th 10, 07:21 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
>I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
> shedding. My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
> showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>
> I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
> They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.

You are confused. "Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles song
.. I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....

The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.

dejablues[_4_]
March 6th 10, 07:22 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
> Major hairballs and this liquid nasties they bring up. I do use the
> expensive stuff for hairballs (can't think of the name) from my vet.

Brush, brush, and more brush.

jmc
March 6th 10, 11:30 AM
Suddenly, without warning, dejablues exclaimed (3/6/2010 2:21 AM):
> "ensoul" > wrote in message
>> I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
>> shedding. My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
>> showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>>
>> I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
>> They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.
>
> You are confused. "Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles song
> . I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....
>
> The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
> random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
> probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.

Since you're researching, check out Maine Coons. They're somewhat
similar cats, and very much more common than Norwegian Forest Cats.

jmc

ensoul[_2_]
March 6th 10, 03:57 PM
On Mar 6, 2:21*am, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "ensoul" > wrote in message

> >I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
> > shedding. *My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
> > showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>
> > I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
> > They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.
>
> You are confused. *"Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles song
> . *I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....
>
> The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
> random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
> probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.

they are part Norwegian Forest Cat , sorry abt the mistake with their
breed...the booj, online pics are xacr replica's of them along with
the breed perosnalitiy...it odes fit

ensoul[_2_]
March 6th 10, 03:59 PM
On Mar 6, 6:30*am, jmc > wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, dejablues exclaimed (3/6/2010 2:21 AM):
>

> > "ensoul" > wrote in message
> >> I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
> >> shedding. *My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
> >> showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>
> >> I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
> >> They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.
>
> > You are confused. *"Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles song
> > . *I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....
>
> > The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
> > random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
> > probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.
>
> Since you're researching, check out Maine Coons. *They're somewhat
> similar cats, and very much more common than Norwegian Forest Cats.
>
> jmc- Hide quoted text -

my daughter's cat is part Maine Coon, uou can actually see the M om
his head while Moe & Rudy are part Norwegian Forest Cat , like I said
part clearly they're not a full bred

Bill Graham
March 6th 10, 10:28 PM
"dejablues" > wrote in message

> "ensoul" > wrote in message
>> Major hairballs and this liquid nasties they bring up. I do use the
>> expensive stuff for hairballs (can't think of the name) from my vet.
>
> Brush, brush, and more brush.

Yes.....Cats don't naturally have long, fine & frizzy hair.....Humans bred
them to have hair like that. So, humans should have to keep them
brushed.....

dejablues[_4_]
March 7th 10, 07:22 AM
"ensoul" > wrote in message
On Mar 6, 2:21 am, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "ensoul" > wrote in message

> >I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
> > shedding. My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
> > showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>
> > I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
> > They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.
>
> You are confused. "Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles
> song
> . I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....
>
> The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
> random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
> probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.

"they are part Norwegian Forest Cat , sorry abt the mistake with their
"breed...the booj, online pics are xacr replica's of them along with
"the breed perosnalitiy...it odes fit

Norwegian Forest Cats are still a rare breed in the US, and "part Norwegian
Forest Cats" are unlikely since breeders aren't letting their prized cats
out to mate with random domestic cats.
Your cats might look like Norwegian Forest Cats, but most likely, they are
not. Why are you trying to pin a breed on them, when you should be enjoying
them as they are?

ensoul[_2_]
March 8th 10, 04:47 AM
On Mar 6, 2:21*am, "dejablues" > wrote:
> "ensoul" > wrote in message

> >I posted here before about Moe & Rudy having long coats and excessive
> > shedding. *My daughter got a book from library on cat breeds, she
> > showed it to me and said that's what there are mom.
>
> > I was very doubtful but did some research at the library & online.
> > They clearly are part Norwegian Wood Cat's, not full breeds.
>
> You are confused. *"Norwegian Wood " (This Bird has Flown) is a Beatles song
> . *I once had a girl, or should I say, she once had me....
>
> The Norwegian Forest Cat is a somewhat rare breed so your long-haired
> random stray cats are not likely to be Norwegian Forest Cats. They are
> probably Domestic Longhair cats. Treat them as such.

their peronality is exactly like the NFC and look wise they could be
duplicates