PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my cat - PLEASE HELP

YvonneD
March 3rd 10, 11:26 PM
I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
dry food.

After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
ate it but still looked awful.

I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.

He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.

What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
well.

I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
can do.

Petzl
March 4th 10, 12:11 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
> wrote:

>I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
>take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
>$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
>can do.

See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
blockage quickly.
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Matthew[_3_]
March 4th 10, 12:53 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
>I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
> about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
> food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
> occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
> dry food.
>
> After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
> threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
> starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
> next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
> he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
> was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
> ate it but still looked awful.
>
> I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
> his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
> blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
> throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
> x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
> abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
> it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
> They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>
> He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
> very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
> morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
> and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
> he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
> thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>
> What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
> poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
> well.
>
> I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> $500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
> can do.

Have you changed food brands before this happened

Matthew[_3_]
March 4th 10, 12:59 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
ng.com...

> "YvonneD" > wrote in message
>>I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
>> about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
>> food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
>> occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
>> dry food.
>>
>> After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
>> threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
>> starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
>> next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
>> he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
>> was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
>> ate it but still looked awful.
>>
>> I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
>> his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
>> blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
>> throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
>> x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
>> abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
>> it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
>> They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>>
>> He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
>> very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
>> morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
>> and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
>> he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
>> thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>>
>> What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
>> poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
>> well.
>>
>> I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
>> take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
>> $500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
>> can do.
>
> Have you changed food brands before this happened
also don't be afraid to get a second opinion you have the blood work you
can go into another vet for the cost of a office visit. Would not hurt at
all to have an outsider look

YvonneD
March 4th 10, 01:07 AM
On Mar 3, 6:53*pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> >I have a 10 year old male. *Three days ago he vomited. *He had eaten
> > about 3 *hours earlier but what he threw up was food. *I give him dry
> > food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. *He does
> > occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
> > dry food.
>
> > After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. *About 5 hours later he
> > threw up again. *Same thing - food. *After that he felt great. *He was
> > starving, playful, normal. *I fed him. *He was fine all night and the
> > next morning. *He finished his breakfast and was fine. *Later that day
> > he threw up again. *Afterwards he looked awful. *The next morning he
> > was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. *He
> > ate it but still looked awful.
>
> > I took him to the vet. *No fever and no tenderness. *They looked under
> > his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. *They did lots of
> > blood tests and urine analysis. *Everything looked fine. *He didn't
> > throw up that day but still looked bad. *Yesterday I took him back for
> > x-rays. *The results were "inconclusive". *They said he had gas in his
> > abdomen and something in his small intestines. *They couldn't tell if
> > it was fecal matter or a blockage. *He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
> > They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>
> > He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
> > very comfortable but tired. *He pooped during the night and this
> > morning he was in my face for breakfast. *Today he continues to eat
> > and then looks uncomfortable. *He does some lip licking, almost like
> > he's sick to his stomach. *He hasn't thrown up in two days. *The only
> > thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>
> > What could be wrong with him? * He does everything normal like eat,
> > poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
> > well.
>
> > I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> > take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> > $500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
> > can do.
>
> Have you changed food brands before this happened

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.

YvonneD
March 4th 10, 01:07 AM
On Mar 3, 6:11*pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
>
> > wrote:
> >I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> >take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> >$500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
> >can do.
>
> See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
> full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
> blockage quickly.
> Petzl
> --
> "Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?

Matthew[_3_]
March 4th 10, 01:29 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
On Mar 3, 6:53 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> "YvonneD" > wrote in message

> >I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
> > about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
> > food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
> > occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
> > dry food.
>
> > After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
> > threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
> > starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
> > next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
> > he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
> > was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
> > ate it but still looked awful.
>
> > I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
> > his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
> > blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
> > throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
> > x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
> > abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
> > it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
> > They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>
> > He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
> > very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
> > morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
> > and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
> > he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
> > thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>
> > What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
> > poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
> > well.
>
> > I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> > take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> > $500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
> > can do.
>
> Have you changed food brands before this happened

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.

I was asking due to I have a fur ball that has a intolerance to certain
filler products in some brands. Just trying to eliminate problems

Matthew[_3_]
March 4th 10, 01:29 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
On Mar 3, 6:11 pm, Petzl > wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
>
> > wrote:
> >I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> >take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> >$500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
> >can do.
>
> See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
> full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
> blockage quickly.
> Petzl
> --
> "Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?

could be a partial blockage the yogurt helps promote proper digestion

Petzl
March 4th 10, 02:44 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 16:07:59 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
> wrote:

>On Mar 3, 6:11*pm, Petzl > wrote:
>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:26:21 -0800 (PST), YvonneD
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
>> >take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
>> >$500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
>> >can do.
>>
>> See if you can get him to eat plain yogurt (small tub greek/european
>> full fat best). If he will it should (in my experience) clear any
>> blockage quickly.
>> Petzl
>
>If he had a blockage he wouldn't be pooping, right?

>>"They said he had gas in his abdomen and something in his small intestines"

The key is the (acidophilus) digestive Flora, yogurt contains should
get things moving hopefully. Occasional treat like this is good for
your cat (once a month to much is not good for their teeth)
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Kelly Greene[_2_]
March 4th 10, 02:47 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message

I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
don't want to change what seems to be working right now.
~~~~~~~~~~~ ><>

Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
contains grains which are not good for cats.

Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):

Mark Earnest
March 4th 10, 04:08 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote in message

> "YvonneD" > wrote in message
>
> I always feed him dry Science Diet Light. Only changed to the canned
> food since he got sick. I figured the watered down soft food would be
> easier to digest. I know he'd eat his regular food if I gave it to
> him. I'm just afraid to try since he hasn't thrown up for a while and
> don't want to change what seems to be working right now.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~ ><>
>
> Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
> contains grains which are not good for cats.

Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
My cat sure looks for them.

Petzl
March 4th 10, 04:20 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:08:34 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> wrote:

>> Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
>> contains grains which are not good for cats.
>
>Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
>My cat sure looks for them.

They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Mark Earnest
March 4th 10, 04:44 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:08:34 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>

>>> Stick with the canned. It's much better for cats anyway. Science diet
>>> contains grains which are not good for cats.
>>
>>Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
>>My cat sure looks for them.
>
> They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
> Petzl
> --
> "Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Thanks and thanks for the link.
But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

Petzl
March 4th 10, 05:33 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:44:18 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> wrote:

>"Petzl" > wrote in message

>>>Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
>>>My cat sure looks for them.
>>
>> They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
>> Petzl
>
>Thanks and thanks for the link.
>But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
>heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
(they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
small acreage's go there).
A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
Petzl
--
"Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right

Mark Earnest
March 4th 10, 06:16 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:44:18 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Petzl" > wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:08:34 -0600, "Mark Earnest"

>>> They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
>>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
>>> Petzl
>>
>>Thanks and thanks for the link.
>>But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
>>heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.
>>
> Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
> simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
> (they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
> small acreage's go there).
> A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
> sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
> is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
> Petzl

I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.

Thanks,

Mark

Petzl
March 4th 10, 06:20 AM
On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:16:07 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> wrote:

>> Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
>> simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
>> (they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
>> small acreage's go there).
>> A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
>> sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
>> is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
>> Petzl
>
>I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
>Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.
>
>Thanks,

Any garden shop should sell wheat seed (which can be used for
wheatgrass for your self as well as the cat)
>Mark

Petzl
--
I am.You are.We are Australian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQ6OFzDq3Ow&feature=related

Phil P.
March 4th 10, 07:13 AM
"YvonneD" > wrote in message
> I have a 10 year old male. Three days ago he vomited. He had eaten
> about 3 hours earlier but what he threw up was food. I give him dry
> food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. He does
> occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
> dry food.
>
> After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. About 5 hours later he
> threw up again. Same thing - food. After that he felt great. He was
> starving, playful, normal. I fed him. He was fine all night and the
> next morning. He finished his breakfast and was fine. Later that day
> he threw up again. Afterwards he looked awful. The next morning he
> was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. He
> ate it but still looked awful.
>
> I took him to the vet. No fever and no tenderness. They looked under
> his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. They did lots of
> blood tests and urine analysis. Everything looked fine. He didn't
> throw up that day but still looked bad. Yesterday I took him back for
> x-rays. The results were "inconclusive". They said he had gas in his
> abdomen and something in his small intestines. They couldn't tell if
> it was fecal matter or a blockage. He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
> They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>
> He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
> very comfortable but tired. He pooped during the night and this
> morning he was in my face for breakfast. Today he continues to eat
> and then looks uncomfortable. He does some lip licking, almost like
> he's sick to his stomach. He hasn't thrown up in two days. The only
> thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>
> What could be wrong with him? He does everything normal like eat,
> poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
> well.
>
> I feel so helpless. If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> $500 and they still don't have a clue. I don't know what else they
> can do.

Try changing his food. Try a food that doesn't contain any dyes or chemical
preservatives and contains a protein source that he has not eaten before.
Its not unusual for a cat to develop an aversion to an ingredient or
additive in a food he's been eating for awhile. If that doesn't resolve the
problem, my advice is to get a second opinion.

Best of luck,

Phil

Mark Earnest
March 4th 10, 08:34 AM
"Petzl" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 23:16:07 -0600, "Mark Earnest"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Just Google "Cat Grass" which is oats, rye, barley,wheat etc, very
>>> simple to grow. Seed for this is sold in what we call "produce shops"
>>> (they sell hay, grass seed, stuff for horses. Farmers or people with
>>> small acreage's go there).
>>> A small flat plastic container like Chinese takeaway comes in,
>>> sunlight, potting mix or even cotton wool, water (keep wet) once grass
>>> is 2 inches or more tall put by cat food grows in a few days
>>> Petzl
>>
>>I'm not out in the country with the horses and farmers, but I will do an
>>Internet search. I will look closer at your link, too.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
> Any garden shop should sell wheat seed (which can be used for
> wheatgrass for your self as well as the cat)
>>Mark

I know where some of those are.
Thanks.
And now my cat will be healthier.

Mark

Bill Graham
March 4th 10, 10:43 AM
"Mark Earnest" > wrote in message
netamerica...

> "Petzl" > wrote in message

>>>Are you sure cats don't need vegetable material?
>>>My cat sure looks for them.
>>
>> They need cat grass (oat seed will do)
>> http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_cat_grass
>> Petzl
>> --
>> "Dieu est mon droit" God is my legal right
>
> Thanks and thanks for the link.
> But as to how to get cat grass, all I have ever
> heard of was Chia Pet cat grass.

My wife used to have a female cat that loved an artichoke plant they had in
their front yard....The cat never let it get more than 6 or 8 inches high
before she would nibble it back down to ground level.......

Buddy's Mom
March 4th 10, 12:11 PM
Try Temptations for Hairballs. He probably has a hairball that he is
trying to get up.

Rene S.
March 4th 10, 10:06 PM
Yvonne,

I just sent you a lengthy email. Feel free to respond with any
questions.

YvonneD
March 5th 10, 01:37 PM
On Mar 4, 4:06*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Yvonne,
>
> I just sent you a lengthy email. Feel free to respond with any
> questions.

Thanks Rene. For the past three days the only symptom he has is
lethargy. His appetite is great, his bodily functions are normal.
His temp is normal and he has no tenderness anywhere that the vet or I
can find.

All he wants to do is eat and sleep.

The vet said that all of his bloodwork is normal except for the white
blood count which was high. Not high enough to think infection but
she put him on an antibiotic just to see if that helps. If it doesn't
then she thinks he needs an ultrasound. I agree. She did say that
his liver and pancreas readings were normal. Personally I think he
has cancer. My husband died of cancer last year. The symptoms were
eerily similar. Normal appetite, weight loss, always tired.

If I do the ultrasound I will have it done by a guy here who does
nothing but animal ultrasounds. All the vets in the Boston area think
he's he best.

Rene S.
March 5th 10, 06:40 PM

> The vet said that all of his bloodwork is normal except for the white
> blood count which was high. *Not high enough to think infection but
> she put him on an antibiotic just to see if that helps. *If it doesn't
> then she thinks he needs an ultrasound. *I agree. *She did say that
> his liver and pancreas readings were normal. *Personally I think he
> has cancer. *My husband died of cancer last year. *The symptoms were
> eerily similar. *Normal appetite, weight loss, always tired.

If the meds don't help, I also agree that an ultrasound could be
helpful, and going to a specialist like that is great. For his sake
(and yours!), I hope he doesn't have cancer though.

YvonneD
March 5th 10, 10:24 PM
On Mar 3, 5:26*pm, YvonneD > wrote:
> I have a 10 year old male. *Three days ago he vomited. *He had eaten
> about 3 *hours earlier but what he threw up was food. *I give him dry
> food, but it had been digested so there were no pieces. *He does
> occasionally throw up right after eating, but then it still looks like
> dry food.
>
> After he threw up he seemed to feel sick. *About 5 hours later he
> threw up again. *Same thing - food. *After that he felt great. *He was
> starving, playful, normal. *I fed him. *He was fine all night and the
> next morning. *He finished his breakfast and was fine. *Later that day
> he threw up again. *Afterwards he looked awful. *The next morning he
> was hungry so I gave him a little canned food with chicken broth. *He
> ate it but still looked awful.
>
> I took him to the vet. *No fever and no tenderness. *They looked under
> his tongue to see if he may have swallowed a string. *They did lots of
> blood tests and urine analysis. *Everything looked fine. *He didn't
> throw up that day but still looked bad. *Yesterday I took him back for
> x-rays. *The results were "inconclusive". *They said he had gas in his
> abdomen and something in his small intestines. *They couldn't tell if
> it was fecal matter or a blockage. *He hadn't had a bm in a few days.
> They told me if it continued today to come for a follow-up x-ray.
>
> He ate last night (canned food with chicken broth) and seemed to feel
> very comfortable but tired. *He pooped during the night and this
> morning he was in my face for breakfast. *Today he continues to eat
> and then looks uncomfortable. *He does some lip licking, almost like
> he's sick to his stomach. *He hasn't thrown up in two days. *The only
> thing the vet is having me do is to give him Pepcid 2.5mg twice a day.
>
> What could be wrong with him? * He does everything normal like eat,
> poop, groom, pee, but he just mopes around and clearly does not feel
> well.
>
> I feel so helpless. *If he isn't better by tomorrow afternoon I'll
> take him back to the vet, but to be honest I've already spent over
> $500 and they still don't have a clue. *I don't know what else they
> can do.

I decided to have the ultrasound done today. I didn't want to go
through the weekend not knowing if my cat had cancer or not. Turns
out he has pancreatitis. Serious, but better than cancer. Pretty
weird that I'm actually elated that he has pancreatitis.

Rene S.
March 8th 10, 06:49 PM
> I decided to have the ultrasound done today. *I didn't want to go
> through the weekend not knowing if my cat had cancer or not. *Turns
> out he has pancreatitis. *Serious, but better than cancer. *Pretty
> weird that I'm actually elated that he has pancreatitis.

Yvonne,

I sent you an email with a link to this article:
http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00114.htm

The cornerstones in treatment are pain medication and at-home daily
sub-q fluids. I have been through this and he can pull through. Email
me if you need specifics.

Rene

honeybunch
March 9th 10, 01:24 AM
On Mar 5, 7:37*am, YvonneD > wrote:
> On Mar 4, 4:06*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>
> > Yvonne,
>
> > I just sent you a lengthy email. Feel free to respond with any
> > questions.
>
> Thanks Rene. *For the past three days the only symptom he has is
> lethargy. *His appetite is great, his bodily functions are normal.
> His temp is normal and he has no tenderness anywhere that the vet or I
> can find.
>
> All he wants to do is eat and sleep.
>
> The vet said that all of his bloodwork is normal except for the white
> blood count which was high. *Not high enough to think infection but
> she put him on an antibiotic just to see if that helps. *If it doesn't
> then she thinks he needs an ultrasound. *I agree. *She did say that
> his liver and pancreas readings were normal. *Personally I think he
> has cancer. *My husband died of cancer last year. *The symptoms were
> eerily similar. *Normal appetite, weight loss, always tired.
>
> If I do the ultrasound I will have it done by a guy here who does
> nothing but animal ultrasounds. *All the vets in the Boston area think
> he's he best.

Well, he sounds like my honeybunch cause all he wants to do is eat and
sleep. Then He wakes up for a while runs around like mad, chases his
tall like crazy, jumps out at me from under the chair and begs to go
out. If he doesnt get to go out its back to sleep he goes. I think
that is normal. It doesnt mean the cat is tired or has cancer. He is
just making the best of his life. Get some of that goo for hairball
in the pet food store. Its like brown vaseline. Just in case your
cat has a hairball. Dont worry.

jmc
March 9th 10, 01:48 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Rene S. exclaimed (3/8/2010 12:49 PM):
>> I decided to have the ultrasound done today. I didn't want to go
>> through the weekend not knowing if my cat had cancer or not. Turns
>> out he has pancreatitis. Serious, but better than cancer. Pretty
>> weird that I'm actually elated that he has pancreatitis.
>
> Yvonne,
>
> I sent you an email with a link to this article:
> http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00114.htm
>
> The cornerstones in treatment are pain medication and at-home daily
> sub-q fluids. I have been through this and he can pull through. Email
> me if you need specifics.
>
> Rene

Are you feeding him Nutro? There's a thread here about it, I believe it
is causing pancreatitis in some cats.

jmc