PDA

View Full Version : Easily digestible food

JEP
March 7th 10, 12:59 AM
Because of some gastrointestinal issues, I had to put my 14 year old
indoor-only male cat on Hill's Prescription Diet w/d. He seems to be doing
fine on it (both the wet and the dry).

I want to transition him back to an over-the-counter food, so does anyone
know which ones might be closest in ingredients and nutrition to the
Prescription Diet w/d? Or really good in terms of digestibility for older
cats?

(I tried transitioning him to Wellness Indoor Health, but he got diarrhea
after a few days. I'm not sure it was the food - and may give it another
try - but I am a bit wary of it.)

Thanks.

JEP

Phil P.
March 8th 10, 03:01 PM
"JEP" > wrote in message
.130...
> Because of some gastrointestinal issues, I had to put my 14 year old
> indoor-only male cat on Hill's Prescription Diet w/d. He seems to be
doing
> fine on it (both the wet and the dry).
>
> I want to transition him back to an over-the-counter food, so does anyone
> know which ones might be closest in ingredients and nutrition to the
> Prescription Diet w/d?

If your vet prescribed w/d because of the fiber content, then the closest
OTC diet would probably be Science Diet Adult Hairball Control Savory
Chicken Entrée.

w/d: Crude Fiber 10.6%.

AHC: Crude Fiber 9.8%.

AHC is more energy dense (167 kcal/per 156g can) than w/d (126 kcal/per 156g
can) because it contains more fat (AHC 23% - w/d 16%). w/d is also a weight
management diet. The protein content is pretty close: AHC: 35.9% - w/d:
39.6%.

Or really good in terms of digestibility for older
> cats?
>
> (I tried transitioning him to Wellness Indoor Health, but he got diarrhea
> after a few days. I'm not sure it was the food -

A lot of cats get diarrhea if their food is changed abruptly. The
transition must be gradual.

and may give it another
> try - but I am a bit wary of it.)

Be sure to check with your vet before changing your cat's diet. Your vet
may have other reasons for prescribing w/d

Best of luck,

Phil