PDA

View Full Version : Is this correct?

J Kaner
March 9th 10, 04:04 PM
Hi Group.

We've been told that when a cat has a litter of kittens and they all come
out with different coats, colours, patterns etc etc, and some looking
nothing like their mother then that is because the mother mated with a few
different male cats and each one of those males is a father to one of the
litter.

Is this right?

I personally don't know enough about cats to know if this can be the case. I
would've thought just one male cat would produce all the coat variations in
the litter.

The cat in question had a litter of 5 cats. Owners have no idea who the
father is. The mother is more of a tortoiseshell and mostly very dark with
the odd spot of white (not much)

In the litter there is a white toed, everywhere else jet black kitten, a
very sandy with ginger stripes kitten and a brown toed, everywhere else jet
black kitten and a totally jet black kitten The last one is a tortoiseshells
just like the mother.

So.... One father, or different fathers, for the kittens??

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
March 9th 10, 04:08 PM
"J Kaner" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Group.
>
> We've been told that when a cat has a litter of kittens and they all come
> out with different coats, colours, patterns etc etc, and some looking
> nothing like their mother then that is because the mother mated with a few
> different male cats and each one of those males is a father to one of the
> litter.
>
> Is this right?
>
> I personally don't know enough about cats to know if this can be the case.
> I would've thought just one male cat would produce all the coat variations
> in the litter.
>
> The cat in question had a litter of 5 cats. Owners have no idea who the
> father is. The mother is more of a tortoiseshell and mostly very dark
> with the odd spot of white (not much)
>
> In the litter there is a white toed, everywhere else jet black kitten, a
> very sandy with ginger stripes kitten and a brown toed, everywhere else
> jet black kitten and a totally jet black kitten The last one is a
> tortoiseshells just like the mother.
>

> So.... One father, or different fathers, for the kittens??
>
> Anyone know?

Female cats can and do have offspring from different males in the same
litter. So this is surely a possibility.

Paul

J Kaner
March 9th 10, 06:18 PM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "J Kaner" > wrote in message
> om...
>> Hi Group.
>>
>> We've been told that when a cat has a litter of kittens and they all come
>> out with different coats, colours, patterns etc etc, and some looking
>> nothing like their mother then that is because the mother mated with a
>> few different male cats and each one of those males is a father to one of
>> the litter.
>>
>> Is this right?
>>
>> I personally don't know enough about cats to know if this can be the
>> case. I would've thought just one male cat would produce all the coat
>> variations in the litter.
>>
>> The cat in question had a litter of 5 cats. Owners have no idea who the
>> father is. The mother is more of a tortoiseshell and mostly very dark
>> with the odd spot of white (not much)
>>
>> In the litter there is a white toed, everywhere else jet black kitten, a
>> very sandy with ginger stripes kitten and a brown toed, everywhere else
>> jet black kitten and a totally jet black kitten The last one is a
>> tortoiseshells just like the mother.
>>

>> So.... One father, or different fathers, for the kittens??
>>
>> Anyone know?
>

> Female cats can and do have offspring from different males in the same
> litter. So this is surely a possibility.
>
> Paul

And she looks so innocent!! lol.

Thanks for the answer Paul.

Rene S.
March 9th 10, 07:11 PM
Yes. Female cats need to copulate to stimulate ovulation, so it's
quite possible she had several mates.

J Kaner
March 14th 10, 06:39 AM
"J Kaner" > wrote

> Hi Group.

Thanks to all of you who answered.

All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
paaaaartaaaay!! ;)

J Kaner
March 14th 10, 06:39 AM
"J Kaner" > wrote

> Hi Group.

Thanks to all of you who answered.

All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
paaaaartaaaay!! ;)

cybercat
March 14th 10, 02:00 PM
"J Kaner" > wrote in message
om...

> "J Kaner" > wrote
>
>> Hi Group.
>
> Thanks to all of you who answered.
>
> All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
> paaaaartaaaay!! ;)

Only from a man's point of view. Tom cats have spines on their penises, and
the spines cause eggs to be released. The yowls you hear from the female are
not yowls of pleasure. I imagine the boys had a party.

Max[_2_]
March 24th 10, 04:31 AM
On Mar 14, 10:00*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "J Kaner" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> > "J Kaner" > wrote
>
> >> Hi Group.
>
> > Thanks to all of you who answered.
>
> > All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
> > paaaaartaaaay!! *;)
>
> Only from a man's point of view. Tom cats have spines on their penises, and
> the spines cause eggs to be released. The yowls you hear from the female are
> not yowls of pleasure. I imagine the boys had a party.

Yes, it is true that cats mate with multiple partners, but even some
controlled partnerships will not give the desired results. Given the
fact that cats may carry many, many, many various genes, there is no
guarantee whatsoever that a cat will produce anything at all that
looks like either the Father or Mother cat. Unless the cats have been
bred in an ongoing controlled breeding program, there would be no way
to predict what the offspring will look like.

Bill Graham
March 24th 10, 10:54 PM
"Max" > wrote in message
On Mar 14, 10:00 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "J Kaner" > wrote in message
>
> om...
>

> > "J Kaner" > wrote
>
> >> Hi Group.
>
> > Thanks to all of you who answered.
>
> > All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
> > paaaaartaaaay!! ;)
>
> Only from a man's point of view. Tom cats have spines on their penises,
> and
> the spines cause eggs to be released. The yowls you hear from the female
> are
> not yowls of pleasure. I imagine the boys had a party.

Yes, it is true that cats mate with multiple partners, but even some
controlled partnerships will not give the desired results. Given the
fact that cats may carry many, many, many various genes, there is no
guarantee whatsoever that a cat will produce anything at all that
looks like either the Father or Mother cat. Unless the cats have been
bred in an ongoing controlled breeding program, there would be no way
to predict what the offspring will look like.

Some characteristics seem to be dominant, however....We took in a feral
Siamese mix, and had him fixed, but we were (obviously) too late, because
his progeny are all over town. For a while a couple of years ago, we would
keep finding dead cats on the road that looked just like Smokey, and then we
would be relieved when he would show up at our doorstep a couple of days
later........

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
March 28th 10, 07:23 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Max" > wrote in message
> On Mar 14, 10:00 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "J Kaner" > wrote in message
>>
>> om...
>>

>> > "J Kaner" > wrote

>> > Thanks to all of you who answered.
>>
>> > All unanimous in the answer so all I can say is she must've had a right
>> > paaaaartaaaay!! ;)
>>
>> Only from a man's point of view. Tom cats have spines on their penises,
>> and
>> the spines cause eggs to be released. The yowls you hear from the female
>> are
>> not yowls of pleasure. I imagine the boys had a party.
>
> Yes, it is true that cats mate with multiple partners, but even some
> controlled partnerships will not give the desired results. Given the
> fact that cats may carry many, many, many various genes, there is no
> guarantee whatsoever that a cat will produce anything at all that
> looks like either the Father or Mother cat. Unless the cats have been
> bred in an ongoing controlled breeding program, there would be no way
> to predict what the offspring will look like.
>
> Some characteristics seem to be dominant, however....We took in a feral
> Siamese mix, and had him fixed, but we were (obviously) too late, because
> his progeny are all over town. For a while a couple of years ago, we would
> keep finding dead cats on the road that looked just like Smokey, and then
> we would be relieved when he would show up at our doorstep a couple of
> days later........

True, my late cat Buddy was living in a feral colony when I took him in. He
was the only male adult cat with the markings he had and yet most of the
younger cats looked just like him.

Paul