CatBanter

-   -   FelV Question (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=15781)

Chris January 20th 04 06:43 AM

FelV Question

I am currently looking for home for FelV+ stray, Big Boy, (about which I
posted before). I have other cats who cannot be exposed to him so he is
isolated. I get very conflicting info about one thing: I would be able to
let him loose in my bedroom (instead of the attached bath & large dog kennel
I bring him out into the bedroom with) but have been told that after he left
I would have to quarantine that room for 30-60 days no matter how well I
cleaned it... Does anyone have thoughts on this or previous experiences.

MacCandace January 21st 04 01:43 AM

I guess I can't quite tell if your cat has FIV or FeLV. Feline Leukemia Virus
or Feline Immunodeficieny Virus. The latter is far less contagious than the
former and only requires that the cat not bite or be bitten by another cat to
break the skin in order to spread the virus. I can't tell if you are writing a
capital I ("eye") or a small l ("el").

Okay, I just pasted your header into Word and changed the font so it does,
indeed, look like you are referring to FIV, Feline Immunodeficency Virus, in
which case you should not have much concern that your existing cats will catch
anything from Big Boy unless they get in a violent fight. It requires direct
blood contact to spread, not just being in the same room or touching the same
things. It is not airborn and probably not even saliva born. I know of people
who keep FIV+ cats together with their FIV- cats and have no problems as long
as fighting doesn't occur.

Of course, if you really are referring to FeLV, that's another story so
disregard this.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

MacCandace January 21st 04 01:57 AM

The links I posted were about FeLV, not FIV, so I still think we're
kosher. ;-)

Laura

I know...I was addressing the OP, I think his cat is FIV+ not FeLV+.

[email protected] January 21st 04 02:25 AM

Candace wrote:
I think his cat is FIV+ not FeLV+.

No, the cat is definitely *Feline Leukemia* positive, not FIV+. She has
posted about him several times.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke