CatBanter

-   -   OT Rant, rant rant (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25634)

Karen March 25th 05 04:59 AM

OT Rant, rant rant

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

By JAMES VANLANDINGHAM
Alligator Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE ‹ Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted
along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out ³leftist
totalitarianism² by ³dictator professors² in the classrooms of Floridaıs
universities.

The Academic Freedom Bill of Rights, sponsored by Rep. Dennis Baxley,
R-Ocala, passed 8-to-2 despite strenuous objections from the only two
Democrats on the committee.

The bill has two more committees to pass before it can be considered by the
full House.

While promoting the bill Tuesday, Baxley said a university education should
be more than ³one biased view by the professor, who as a dictator controls
the classroom,² as part of ³a misuse of their platform to indoctrinate the
next generation with their own views.²

The bill sets a statewide standard that students cannot be punished for
professing beliefs with which their professors disagree. Professors would
also be advised to teach alternative ³serious academic theories² that may
disagree with their personal views.

According to a legislative staff analysis of the bill, the law would give
students who think their beliefs are not being respected legal standing to
sue professors and universities.

Students who believe their professor is singling them out for ³public
ridicule² * for instance, when professors use the Socratic method to force
students to explain their theories in class * would also be given the right
to sue.

³Some professors say, ŒEvolution is a fact. I donıt want to hear about
Intelligent Design (a creationist theory), and if you donıt like it, thereıs
the door,ı² Baxley said, citing one example when he thought a student should
sue.

Rep. Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach, warned of lawsuits from students enrolled in
Holocaust history courses who believe the Holocaust never happened.

Similar suits could be filed by students who donıt believe astronauts landed
on the moon, who believe teaching birth control is a sin or even by Shands
medical students who refuse to perform blood transfusions and believe prayer
is the only way to heal the body, Gelber added.

³This is a horrible step,² he said. ³Universities will have to hire lawyers
so our curricula can be decided by judges in courtrooms. Professors might
have to pay court costs ‹ even if they win ‹ from their own pockets. This is
not an innocent piece of legislation.²

The staff analysis also warned the bill may shift responsibility for
determining whether a studentıs freedom has been infringed from the faculty
to the courts.

But Baxley brushed off Gelberıs concerns. ³Freedom is a dangerous thing, and
you might be exposed to things you donıt want to hear,² he said. ³Being a
businessman, I found out you can be sued for anything. Besides, if students
are being persecuted and ridiculed for their beliefs, I think they should be
given standing to sue.²

During the committee hearing, Baxley cast opposition to his bill as
³leftists² struggling against ³mainstream society.²

³The critics ridicule me for daring to stand up for students and faculty,²
he said, adding that he was called a McCarthyist.

Baxley later said he had a list of students who were discriminated against
by professors, but refused to reveal names because he felt they would be
persecuted.

Rep. Eleanor Sobel, D-Hollywood, argued universities and the state Board of
Governors already have policies in place to protect academic freedom.
Moreover, a state law outlining how professors are supposed to teach would
encroach on the boardıs authority to manage state schools.

³The big hand of state government is going into the universities telling
them how to teach,² she said. ³This bill is the antithesis of academic
freedom.²

But Baxley compared the stateıs universities to children, saying the
legislature should not give them money without providing ³guidance² to their
behavior.

³Professors are accountable for what they say or do,² he said. ³Theyıre
accountable to the rest of us in society Š All of a sudden the faculty think
they can do what they want and shut us out. Why is it so unheard of to say
the professor shouldnıt be a dictator and control that room as their
totalitarian niche?²

In an interview before the meeting, Baxley said ³arrogant, elitist academics
are swarming² to oppose the bill, and media reports misrepresented his
intentions.

³I expect to be out there on my own pretty far,² he said. ³I donıt expect to
be part of a team.²

House Bill H-837 can be viewed online at www.flsenate.gov.

Marina March 25th 05 06:27 AM

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

*boggle*

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and coming soon: Mere!

-L. March 25th 05 06:38 AM

Karen wrote:
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

snip

/me whacks head on desk again and again.

And yet, people wonder why we refuse to patronize *anything* in the
state of Florida...

-L.

Jeanette March 25th 05 09:36 AM

Karen wrote in message
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

That is appalling, truly and utterly appalling. If I was an American student
I'd be applying for a European University right now. :(

Jeanette

Helen Wheels March 25th 05 09:54 AM

Jeanette wrote:

Karen wrote in message

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

That is appalling, truly and utterly appalling. If I was an American student
I'd be applying for a European University right now. :(

Jeanette

Once I would have added "or an Australian one", but I'm afraid that all
the signs are that our current govt wishes to push our unis in the same
direction as the US ones.

I certainly agree that _some_ teachers don't always give differing
points of view the respect they might deserve, but this is a nutty way
to deal with it.

CatNipped March 25th 05 02:48 PM

"Karen" wrote in message
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

snipped a whole bunch of dirty litterbox offerings

Well, maybe the creationists are right - judging by this it certainly
doesn't look like evolution is making the species more intelligent, does it?
;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Kreisleriana March 25th 05 04:36 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:59:36 -0600, Karen
yodeled:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

By JAMES VANLANDINGHAM
Alligator Staff Writer

TALLAHASSEE ‹ Republicans on the House Choice and Innovation Committee voted
along party lines Tuesday to pass a bill that aims to stamp out ³leftist
totalitarianism² by ³dictator professors² in the classrooms of Floridaıs
universities.

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

There is a similar bill being introduced in the Ohio legislature too.

There is right now a major political battle going on over Columbia
University's department of Near Eastern and Asian studies. The real
problem is not that the professors are stifling students, but the
students simply don't like some things some professors are saying--
even students who have never taken their classes are getting involved
over things they have "heard" other people report. One of the
problems is that some of these students have simply never been exposed
to the Palestinian point of view before, and this discussion is so
polarized that they immediately think that the whole treatment of the
subject at Columbia is anti-Israel and anti-Semitic. So these
students *are* getting exposed to an alternative point of view-- from
the one they have heard all their lives. But they don't like it

In a way, this is like the evolution debate. Why should
knowledgeable, expert people, people who have been long tried in their
fields by their peers, who have abided by serious, rigorous methods
of study and research, be compelled to give "equal time" to attitudes
that they know are b***s***? Next time we have a discussion about
world travel, shall we have the Flat Earth Society check in with their
views? Did God put the fossil record there just to pull our legs?
Bacteria and viruses are developing more resistant strains in matters
of a few years, not millions. People are dying of resistant
tuberculosis. Anybody can get a bunch of fruit flies, and watch a
hundred generations in just a a few months, and you can see the
changes. But evolution still needs to be "balanced out" by an
"alternative POV. Ridiculous.

You know something? The Catholic Church-- yes, the same people who
persecuted Galileo 400 years ago-- have openly stated that evolution
is *not* in conflict with belief in a Creator God. In a way, the
Christian right wing people have a very narrow view of a God they
claim is all-powerful. I believe if God is all-powerful, He could
have created the world any way He wanted, and that can certainly admit
the Big Bang and evolution. They also think that God has some pretty
petty concerns, like about who's sleeping with whom.

Wow! Thus endeth MY rant. ;)

Theresa

Kreisleriana March 25th 05 04:37 PM

On 24 Mar 2005 22:38:39 -0800, "-L."
yodeled:

Karen wrote:
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

snip

/me whacks head on desk again and again.

And yet, people wonder why we refuse to patronize *anything* in the
state of Florida...

-L.

My daddy lives there. ;)

Of course his head explodes about four times a week. ;)

Theresa

Kreisleriana March 25th 05 04:40 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 08:48:46 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

"Karen" wrote in message
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

snipped a whole bunch of dirty litterbox offerings

Well, maybe the creationists are right - judging by this it certainly
doesn't look like evolution is making the species more intelligent, does it?
;

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Theresa

MaryL March 25th 05 05:41 PM

"Karen" wrote in message
I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Oleftistı profs
[...]

Hidden within this bill -- and not particularly well hidden -- is an agenda
to once again try to insert "creationism" into the classroom. The more I
see of attempts like this, the more I think that is just as well that I am
not far from retirement. It's *really* a stretch to equate the Socratic
method with "dictator professors" in the classroom.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

CatNipped March 25th 05 07:25 PM

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

snipped a lot of wisdom

That reminds me of a poem I once wrote...

"To a Creationist "

Fluctuations, constant motion, is whirling round your eyes.
"Now" is fluid, it soon becomes "then"; what is, now, is not.
Prophets screaming, "Follow my way, for only *I* am RIGHT!".
The fearful follow, sheep all herded, can't contend with change.

"Show us, help us, what shall we do, we can't go on this way!".
"Tell us, Guru, how can we make it all stay just the same?".
Find a God, then make Him changeless, and teach His Word as Law.
Make change sinful, make science a crime, teach kids FAITH in school.

Don't let them ask you to show them proof, God showed you the Light.
Inquiring minds are dangerous, nip them in the bud.
They can change things even much farther from your status quo.
Dig in your heels, bury your head, and MAKE them see your way.

Earth will flatten and rest again upon a turtle's back.
Stars are then pin holes in a backdrop your God lights for you.
And safe and sound you will always be, in control again.
'Cause your God's protection is only for you, you "Good Men".

But 'ware ye sheep, there exist some wolves; seekers of the truth.
Oh, Creation they doubt not, only how and when and why?
Their universe is larger, they love a much greater God.
A God who can, in one big bang, create infinity.

An infinity of wonder, just ripe to be explored.
Magic puzzles in the night sky, lessons, truth to be learned.
Mysteries abound all around them, begging to be solved.
Their God rewards their questing with Truth in all its Beauty.

For what is more beautiful than the intricate laws that
Apply to govern all space and time, within and without?
Their God is kind enough to let them quest and understand
And appreciate creation, all, not just what they ken.

"And treasure it all," He tells them, "it is your only chance."
"It's not for you, you don't own it, it's just left in your care."
Those wolves will keep seeking, for to truly love one must 'know'.
They love a God much greater than any YOU can create.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Seanette Blaylock March 25th 05 08:01 PM

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about OT Rant, rant rant:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I met quite a few, in a community college in a rural area.

Still, I guess freedom of belief only applies if you're politically
correct.

Karen March 25th 05 08:33 PM

"Seanette Blaylock" wrote in
message ...
Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about OT Rant, rant rant:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I met quite a few, in a community college in a rural area.

Still, I guess freedom of belief only applies if you're politically
correct.

I have been in and worked in the academic community for years and have
rarely if *ever* come across any professor that would force a belief on you.
This would, in fact, be the opposite of what most college professors want in
a college environment. However, yes, you are exposed to many beliefs and
ideas. It is really part of the point of a higher degree. Many of my
students have different beliefs that they express and I would never dream of
telling them there is no other way. I do, however, ask them to learn about
other cultures and ideas and only then reject them if they actually know
what another value system consists of. The professors I work with would also
work toward that goal. And I work for a Catholic university.

Kreisleriana March 25th 05 08:42 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:25:34 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Whoa baby! That is ELOQUENT!

Theresa

CatNipped March 25th 05 08:54 PM

[...]

Thank you. It always ****es me off when people try to circumscribe *my* God
and make him petty and small-minded. I think a God who can create infinity
is much more complicatied than *THOSE* simpletons can understand! I don't
think even the *greatest* minds of humanity could come close to
understanding Him. It would be easier for an ant to write a learned thesis
on mankind.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Theresa

Kreisleriana March 25th 05 08:59 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:54:50 -0600, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

I completely agree with this.

Theresa

Dan M March 25th 05 10:49 PM

"And treasure it all," He tells them, "it is your only chance."
"It's not for you, you don't own it, it's just left in your care."
Those wolves will keep seeking, for to truly love one must 'know'.
They love a God much greater than any YOU can create.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I *love* that poem!

Dan

CatNipped March 25th 05 11:06 PM

"Dan M" wrote in message
"And treasure it all," He tells them, "it is your only chance."
"It's not for you, you don't own it, it's just left in your care."
Those wolves will keep seeking, for to truly love one must 'know'.
They love a God much greater than any YOU can create.

Hugs,

CatNipped

I *love* that poem!

Dan

Thank you, Dan. Like I said, it ticks me off when narrow-minded bigots
insist that God looks, acts, and thinks just like *them*!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Enfilade March 26th 05 12:51 AM

Capitol bill aims to control Oleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Hm, I wonder if Pagans and Wiccans would be allowed to sue for untolerated beliefs?

Somehow I suspect...not.

--Fil

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 03:44 AM

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages again.....

(article snipped for length)

That's TERRIBLE, Karen! Where does "individual belief" end
and "solid fact" begin? And who decides? Next think, we'll
be having students deciding Galileo had it all wrong, and
the Sun REALLY revolves around the Earth, not the other way
around. (Never mind all scientific evidence to the contrary.)

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 03:46 AM

-L. wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

snip

/me whacks head on desk again and again.

And yet, people wonder why we refuse to patronize *anything* in the
state of Florida...

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

-L.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 03:57 AM

Kreisleriana wrote:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I have to agree! It's true that Macalester (my alma mater)
has always been on the "liberal" side (it's also a
church-affiliated college - Presbyterian). One of the great
things about it was that its main purpose was to teach
students to use the brains God gave them, and learn to think
for themselves! Parroting back what the prof's lectures
told you was not the way to pass exams. On the other hand,
if your views were diametrically opposed to his/hers, but
you could express your viewpoint convincingly, backing it up
with well-reasoned argument, you were likely to get an A.
(Of course, former students include Hubert Humphrey, "Fritz"
Mondale, and Kofi Anan - along with a host of diplomats,
journalists, and assorted politicians of various
persuasions.) It's a great school, although it was entirely
the wrong choice for an aspiring opera singer.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 04:00 AM

Seanette Blaylock wrote:

Kreisleriana had some very interesting
things to say about OT Rant, rant rant:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I met quite a few, in a community college in a rural area.

The only ones who fit that description at Macalester were a
couple of the Religion profs! (And not all of those, thank
God!)

Still, I guess freedom of belief only applies if you're politically
correct.

Apparently that's the Bush slant on it, anyway.

Melissa Houle March 26th 05 07:07 AM

CatNipped wrote in message
[...]

Excellent poem and excellent point, Catnipped. If God has no greater wisdom
and breadth of mind than the fundamentalists who believe that only THEIR
version of the truth is valid, we'd all be in trouble, anyway. FOrtunately,
I'm sure God is MUCH wiser and more tolerant. I mean, if He REALLY hated
everyone except narrow minded white people, why would He have bothered
making the great variety of people following a great many different
religions who actually inhabit this planet?

A friend of mine pointed out, that while a day is 24 hours to humans, why
should we assume that a day is ALSO 24 hours as far as God is concerned?

My brother is an evolutionary biology professor at Florida State University
in Tallahassee... I wonder if HE's heard about this horrid, empty headed
bill. Sheesh, just what we need. Students who can sue their professors for
trying to broaden their minds! What bowls me over is the tyranny of these
small-minded people who are claiming professors are the tyrants!

Kakistocracy is term for a society being led by it's worst elements. I'm
begining to think we're living in one.

Melissa

-L. March 26th 05 07:11 AM

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

-L.

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 01:11 PM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:57:27 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
yodeled:

Kreisleriana wrote:

The Nation has a whole issue about right-wing backlash towards
"liberal" university faculty. I've spent about half my life in
academia, and I've still never met a "liberal dictator professor." :P

I have to agree! It's true that Macalester (my alma mater)
has always been on the "liberal" side (it's also a
church-affiliated college - Presbyterian).

Hey, Minnesota Presbyterians are my kind of Presbyterians. ;) I once
went to concert in a Presbyterian church in Minneapolis, and I was
startled to see nude statues on the grounds. ;) It was an art
exhibition. ;)

One of the great
things about it was that its main purpose was to teach
students to use the brains God gave them, and learn to think
for themselves! Parroting back what the prof's lectures
told you was not the way to pass exams. On the other hand,
if your views were diametrically opposed to his/hers, but
you could express your viewpoint convincingly, backing it up
with well-reasoned argument, you were likely to get an A.
(Of course, former students include Hubert Humphrey, "Fritz"
Mondale, and Kofi Anan - along with a host of diplomats,
journalists, and assorted politicians of various
persuasions.) It's a great school, although it was entirely
the wrong choice for an aspiring opera singer.

Sounds like you got quite a bit out of it, nonetheless. ;)

Theresa

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 01:17 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:07:44 GMT, "Melissa Houle"
yodeled:

Kakistocracy is term for a society being led by it's worst elements. I'm
begining to think we're living in one.

Melissa

What a great word!

Theresa

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 01:18 PM

On 25 Mar 2005 23:11:39 -0800, "-L."
yodeled:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Well..... there's Disneyworld, of course (but you can always
come to California to see the original Disneyland, or go to
Paris for the one there).

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

-L.

Your DH is Triumph the Insult Comic Dog? ;)

Theresa

JBHajos March 26th 05 01:22 PM

On 25 Mar 2005 23:11:39 -0800, "-L." wrote:

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

I loved the state and was very proud to be a Floridian. However,
by the time I moved away eleven years ago, I'd already dubbed it The
Lunatic State. Events over the past few years have only solidified
that perception. I haven't been back but I *do* miss the Florida that
was, the one I loved.

Jeanne

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 01:29 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 13:22:08 GMT, (JBHajos)
yodeled:

On 25 Mar 2005 23:11:39 -0800, "-L." wrote:

DH says the only thing he will ever do in FL is to poop on it as he
flys over it in an airplane. ;P

I loved the state and was very proud to be a Floridian. However,
by the time I moved away eleven years ago, I'd already dubbed it The
Lunatic State. Events over the past few years have only solidified
that perception. I haven't been back but I *do* miss the Florida that
was, the one I loved.

I still love to see the tiny patches of "old Florida" that are left
and disappearing. Cypress trees and all that.

One of my fave Florida stories-- I went on an airboat in the
Everglades, and the tourguide was a real Florida cracker. Very
knowledgeable, but given to some malapropisms. He pointed out a big
bird of prey wheeling over us, and told us "That there's a Snail Kite,
and that bird is *extinct*!"

Theresa
Stinky Pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

SuzQ March 26th 05 05:54 PM

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 06:10 PM

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:54:43 -0500, "SuzQ"
yodeled:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control Œleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.

So to speak. ;)

Theresa

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) March 26th 05 07:49 PM

SuzQ wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control "leftist" profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

I agree! However, I think you can only win that if you're
dead. (Otherwise you're still part of the human gene-pool.)

Shiral March 26th 05 08:30 PM

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Unfortunately, more and more I think the loonies are running this
asylum. Perhaps one reason they act the way they do is that they
believe the Rapture is imminent, and they won't have to clean up the
messes they're making.

Sigh......

Melissa

O J March 26th 05 09:22 PM

SuzQ wrote:

Karen wrote:

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

Capitol bill aims to control "leftist" profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Marina responded:
*boggle*
======================================
The person who thought this up should be nominated for a Darwin Award.
Suz&Spicey

I agree! However, I think you can only win that if you're
dead. (Otherwise you're still part of the human gene-pool.)

You can still be awarded the prize if you've somehow managed to
prevent yourself from taking part in normal reproductive functions
while remaining alive. I believe there is a special category for
accidents with vacuum cleaners, etc.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

Kreisleriana March 26th 05 09:58 PM

On 26 Mar 2005 12:30:55 -0800, "Shiral"
yodeled:

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Reminds me of a joke.

(Religious joke warning)

A man dies and goes to heaven. St. Peter shows him around. The place
is full of light, peace and joy. There are all kinds of people there,
all beatifically happy in the contemplation of God. After awhile,
they pass a group of people who are different. They stand apart,
looking very down and depressed. The man said "What's wrong with
them?" St. Peter says "Oh them? They're the Baptists. They thought
they were going to have the place to themselves." :P

Theresa

Yowie March 27th 05 02:51 AM

"Helen Wheels" wrote in message
Jeanette wrote:

Karen wrote in message

I begin to feel as though we are descending into the Dark Ages

again.....

That is appalling, truly and utterly appalling. If I was an American

student
I'd be applying for a European University right now. :(

Jeanette

Once I would have added "or an Australian one", but I'm afraid that all
the signs are that our current govt wishes to push our unis in the same
direction as the US ones.

I certainly agree that _some_ teachers don't always give differing
points of view the respect they might deserve, but this is a nutty way
to deal with it.

The better teachers I had in 'arts' type subjects gave students an automatic
10% bonus for writing an essay that took a different stance than one that
the teacher taught in class. However, it wasn't an easy 10% extra, you had
to do your own research independalty of what the teacher had given you, and
you had to argue *well* against hte teacher's reasoning.

You couldn't just say (for example) "I am not going to write on Y because I
don'tbelieve in it - I believe in X instead". If you were going to take the
X stance, you'd have to still do the required amount of words expanding on Y
according to the X belief.

And as I once tried to do,there's often a darn good reason why the teacher
is teaching the Z theory - because it holds up under logical reasoning far
better than the X belief. And I only discovered that about three quarters of
the way through a ten thousand word essay when I read it back to myself and
found that all my arguments led to the conclusion that was actually in
conflict with my long held belief.

How dare a teacher make a student actually think!

Yowie

Yowie March 27th 05 02:58 AM

"Enfilade" wrote in message
om...
Capitol bill aims to control Oleftistı profs
THE LAW COULD LET STUDENTS SUE FOR UNTOLERATED BELIEFS.

Hm, I wonder if Pagans and Wiccans would be allowed to sue for untolerated

beliefs?

Somehow I suspect...not.

I want to sue because I don't *believe* in tolerance :-)

Yowie

JBHajos March 27th 05 04:09 AM

On 26 Mar 2005 12:30:55 -0800, "Shiral" wrote:

As Anne Lammott says, "You know you've created God in your own image,
when it turns out He hates all the same people you do." =o)

Then, too, "If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent
Him." And so we did.

Jeanne