CatBanter

-   -   Dude, I'm Gettin' a Dell (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=2759)

Sherry April 13th 04 05:33 AM

Dude, I'm Gettin' a Dell

Whoa. I'm getting a new computer for my birthday. I'm so excited. (Even though
it's just a cheapo Dell)....BUT I now have a circa 1996 Packard Bell, with
Windows 95. I can't open half the websites people post, and if I do, it takes
forever (if the thing doesn't just lock up). Forget animated things, and the
sound is iffy.

All I use a computer for is internet surfing and keeping up the little mailing
list/newsletter labels for the Humane Society newsletter, so I never could
really justify buying a new one.

Does anyone know, is there any reason I should buy the upgrade and get Windows
XP Professional instead of Windows XP home?

Sherry

MaryL April 13th 04 05:49 AM

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

I use Win XP-Home Edition at home (Compaq Presario computer) and
Professional (Dell computer) at the office. I can't tell any difference,
and I don't think you would, either, for basic functions. Incidentally, I
handle *large* numbers of photos on my home computer, lots of
wordprocessing, some basic spreadsheeting, and various functions such as
mail labels. I also have cable connection at home and ethernet at the
office, and I have a router that I use as a firewall at home. Even so, I
can't detect any difference at all between the two versions. I think the
resources that will be more important to you will be disk space, RAM, and
related resources -- "the faster the better" for download.

Have fun with your new toy!

MaryL

Fuga :o\) April 13th 04 05:51 AM

XP Professional is like Windows NT/2000. I would highly recommend it. It's
quite stable and more secure than XP Home.

Congrats!

Fuga

MaryL April 13th 04 05:57 AM

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

Here is an article that describes some of the differences between Home
Edition and Pro:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

You will find that XP "looks" different than earlier versions of Windows.
However, it can be set to emulate the look of Win98 if you find that you
would be more comfortable. XP needs to be set to "classic" view if you
decide that is what you want.

MaryL

Karen Chuplis April 13th 04 01:59 PM

in article , Sherry at
itty wrote on 4/12/04 11:33 PM:

Whoa. I'm getting a new computer for my birthday. I'm so excited. (Even though
it's just a cheapo Dell)....BUT I now have a circa 1996 Packard Bell, with
Windows 95. I can't open half the websites people post, and if I do, it takes
forever (if the thing doesn't just lock up). Forget animated things, and the
sound is iffy.

All I use a computer for is internet surfing and keeping up the little mailing
list/newsletter labels for the Humane Society newsletter, so I never could
really justify buying a new one.

Does anyone know, is there any reason I should buy the upgrade and get Windows
XP Professional instead of Windows XP home?

Sherry

CONGRATS!!! You will be so amazed at the difference since you have gone so
long between. I don't think there is a good reason for the upgrade,
personally. Others might have more input than I though.

Karen

Kreisleriana April 13th 04 02:27 PM

On 13 Apr 2004 04:33:46 GMT, itty (Sherry ) yodeled:

Whoa. I'm getting a new computer for my birthday. I'm so excited. (Even though
it's just a cheapo Dell)....BUT I now have a circa 1996 Packard Bell, with
Windows 95. I can't open half the websites people post, and if I do, it takes
forever (if the thing doesn't just lock up). Forget animated things, and the
sound is iffy.

I have a "cheapo Dell." It;s great.

Theresa
alt.tv.frasier FAQ:
http://www.im-listening.net/FAQ/

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)