CatBanter

-   -   Two cats - both boys or both girls? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=72910)

[email protected] July 16th 06 11:32 PM

Two cats - both boys or both girls?

I'm planning to get a couple of tonks, either two boys or two girls --
I understand they're happier in pairs if they'll be left alone during
the day. Are there any considerations in choosing whether to get two
boys or two girls, however? I do plan to have them fixed as early as is
appropriate, so hopefully there won't be territorial issues or fighting
if there's a tom hanging about outside.

Gail Futoran July 17th 06 01:50 AM

Two cats - both boys or both girls?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to get a couple of tonks, either two boys or two girls --
I understand they're happier in pairs if they'll be left alone during
the day. Are there any considerations in choosing whether to get two
boys or two girls, however? I do plan to have them fixed as early as is
appropriate, so hopefully there won't be territorial issues or fighting
if there's a tom hanging about outside.

I have two female Tonkinese that came from
different litters, same breeder, in age a month
apart but I got them at the same time as kittens.
They are fine together, even though very different
in personality. One (Ephiny) acts more like a
stereotypical Burmese - friendly, laid back,
outgoing. The other (Lao Ma) is more like a
stereotypical Siamese - nervous, territorial, a bit
standoffish, although she loves being groomed.

I would think two males or even a male and a
female would also do well together, as long as
they're "fixed" at the appropriate age and are
raised together from kittenhood.

Gail F.
Owned by Tonks Lao Ma, Ephiny
Mixed breeds (former strays) Minya, Melosa

-L. July 17th 06 01:52 AM

wrote:
I'm planning to get a couple of tonks, either two boys or two girls --
I understand they're happier in pairs if they'll be left alone during
the day. Are there any considerations in choosing whether to get two
boys or two girls, however? I do plan to have them fixed as early as is
appropriate, so hopefully there won't be territorial issues or fighting
if there's a tom hanging about outside.

Forget the purebreds, adopt from a shelter and save a life or two. I
have had the best luck placing two males together.

-L.

Toni July 17th 06 07:34 PM

Two cats - both boys or both girls?

wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm planning to get a couple of tonks, either two boys or two girls --
I understand they're happier in pairs if they'll be left alone during
the day. Are there any considerations in choosing whether to get two
boys or two girls, however?

There are many people (like me) who think the boys have smushier, more
loving personalities while the girls are more feisty. I have three nine
month old boys and would not have it any other way.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/kitties.htm