CatBanter

-   -   Mad kitty! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8428)

Enfilade October 22nd 04 11:31 PM

We ALWAYS say go down cellar. I'm from a community of German
immigrants who settled in Ontario. I still say that myself.

My partner is from Prince Edward Island where "go down to the
basement" is in use.

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

--Fil

Jeanne Hedge October 22nd 04 11:36 PM

On 22 Oct 2004 15:31:21 -0700,
(Enfilade) wrote:

We ALWAYS say go down cellar. I'm from a community of German
immigrants who settled in Ontario. I still say that myself.

I don't know about "go down the cellar", but in southern New Jersey
people "go down the shore" instead of "go to the beach"

My partner is from Prince Edward Island where "go down to the
basement" is in use.

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

My US Midwest (central Indiana) grandmother called it a "davenport",
while my other grandmother, also from the US Midwest (western Iowa),
called it a "couch".

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com

Skippy October 22nd 04 11:39 PM

Here's another one--what's that big soft thing you sit on in the
living room? To us it's a couch, but my grandmother calls it "a
chesterfield."

--Fil

Cool, my grandmother had a chesterfield sofa, they are the big, elegant
looking sofas with the back and sides sort of rounding out together. I'd
not heard that in like forever!

Mike
The early bird gets the worm;
but the 2nd mouse gets the cheese!!

Yoj October 22nd 04 11:42 PM

"Yowie" wrote in message
wrote in message
I'd like to pause for just a moment, to have a tangential linguistic
discussion.

Singh wrote:

Just to be on the safe side, Louie rigged up the dresser so she

can't
get beneath it now. So at least if she does go down cellar, we

have
some idea of how and where to find her.

Oh, *WOW*!! I haven't heard the phrase "go down cellar" for years!

(It
means "go down to the basement", for the uninitiated.) But that's

how my
mother always said it. I just had a childhood flashback!

I'm from Boston. My parents are from Boston. All of their parents

were
born in Boston, too. So I'm thinking maybe "down cellar" is a

Boston-ism.
Or maybe a New England-ism?

I always find it weird to hear the American term "I'll write you"

rather
than saying "I'll write *to* you". I don't know when the dropped "to"

or the
"to the" in your case above first started to be thought of as correct
grammar in American English, but to these Commonweatlth English ears,

it
always sounds wrong.

But being quite ancient in terms of cuber-life, I've learnt that even
"English" has distinct sub-languages, and no one particular dialect is

any
more "correct" than any other - just that some are "older".

Ye Olde Yowieth

Just as I find it strange that British and Australians say someone is
"in hospital", rather than "in *the* hospital". English is, indeed, a
strange language, and the various ways it is spoken make it even
stranger.

Joy