CatBanter

-   -   Mad kitty! (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=8428)

Karen Chuplis October 31st 04 04:34 AM

in article , John F. Eldredge at
wrote on 10/30/04 8:55 PM:

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 09:59:27 -0400, Singh
wrote:

I saw that in one of the "Uncle John's Bathroom Readers," a series
of indispensible compendia of completely useless information to, um,
make the going smoother. It sounds like some George Carlin thing
anyway; my mother lived many years in the South, and she too knew to
ask for Pepsi if that was what she wanted!

Blessed be,
Baha

LOL wrote:

Singh wrote in message

I understand that in the South, "Coke" is used for any type of
carbonated drink, including but not limited to Caca-Cola.

Blessed be,
Baha

I've heard comedians say this, but in 37 years in Georgia, I've
never heard anyone actually do this. When we say "Coke" that's
what we want. If we want something else, we'll say "Pepsi" or
"Dr. Pepper" or whatever.

I have lived in the South all of my life (47 years), in Alabama,
Tennessee, and Kentucky, and haven't encountered the use of "Coke" as
a generic term for all soft drinks, except for books claiming that
such was the common practice. If it ever was true, it was probably
in a limited geographical area and/or for a limited period of time.

I worked with a gal from Texas and it was a "Pepsi Coke" or Orange Coke, or
the like. Dr. Pepper was not paired with coke, but many were. Maybe it is a
small region that use it.