CatBanter

-   -   Helping a rescued cat with a house move (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=96156)

Rhino[_2_] July 5th 09 01:47 PM

Helping a rescued cat with a house move

My friend Margot has a rescued cat that, unfortunately, abused before Margot
got her. The cat has gradually come around but is still very uncomfortable
with any kind of change. Even just moving a piece of furniture around
disturbs the cat. Margot has just purchased a house and will be moving there
from her apartment in about a week and was asking me for advice about the
best way to do the move to minimize the stress on her cat.

Since I've never had to do a move with a cat, I suggested she ask on this
newsgroup but she's never really worked with newsgroups so I'm asking on her
behalf. I'll forward any replies to her as I see them.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Margot was wondering it it would be best
to put the cat in a local cat hospital (which also does boarding) for three
or four days until the move is complete? She could also keep the cat at the
new house during the move but would then have to confine her in a room for
the whole day while the movers bring things in so that the cat can't escape.
We were concerned that the cat might be very stressed - and also exposed to
germs and infections - at the cat hospital/boarding place. We are also
worried that leaving the cat confined in the new house during the move would
also be stressful; clearly, the cat would hear all the commotion and be very
aware that it was in a new place and was also confined, which surely
wouldn't help its stress levels.

I have to assume that many of the users of this newsgroup have had to move
house with cats so I'd like to get your best advice so that I can pass it on
to Margot.

--
Rhino

Granby July 5th 09 11:47 PM

Helping a rescued cat with a house move

I moved with a cat. I left her in the bathroom at the old house until
everything was moved. Then, I moved her, kept her confined in the bathroom
of the new house for a couple of days. On the third day, I left the door
open a bit and her them find their way out. Showed her where the litterbox
would be and where to find her food. She was stressed but, with some of
her own things strewn around, so at least some of the scents were familiar,
it wasn't too bad.

Netmask July 6th 09 05:30 AM

Rhino wrote:
[...]

Try to leave her in her favourite place with some of your to be
laundered clothes so she has the scent of you constantly around - then
after seeing the vet get a couple of low dose valium, around 2mg. This
will make her a bit drowsy for the transportation and pop her in a warm
room with your to be laundered clothes.

Another trick to help bonding (sounds revolting but) spit in their
mouth. It's an old working cattle dog trick that works with cats and
especially kittens - what else do you think they are doing when they try
to lick your face - 'they' the little manipulating beasts are taking
ownership of YOU!!

ie July 6th 09 06:27 AM

On Jul 5, 11:30*pm, Netmask wrote:
Rhino wrote:
[...]

Okay....this sound like what we've done in the past--except for the
spitting in the mouth part--never tried that. We kept our kittehs in
our bedroom the first couple of days. Of course we got NO sleep the
first nigh because they circled the perimeter of the bed howling every
minute for several hours, but they eventually settled down and we just
let them explore a little at a time--room by room--after a couple of
days.

Rene S July 6th 09 02:22 PM

Helping a rescued cat with a house move

Your friend is wise to plan this ahead of time. I would start giving
her (the cat, not the friend!) Rescue Remedy in her water now. It's an
herbal blend that you can find at health food stores and even
Walgreens (near the sleep aids). Also, have her get a Feliway diffuser
to plug in the room she'll be in.

During the move, I would keep her shut in a bathroom in the old
apartment. Like another poster said, put a t-shirt or something you've
worn in with her. Put a big sign on the door that says "cat inside. do
not open" so mover don't let her out accidentally.

Before you move her to the new place, set up a room for her with all
of her favorite things. Because she's a nervous cat, you might need to
keep her confined to this one room for a few days until she's settled
in. Don't rush her. Let her investigate as she feels comfortable. Keep
up the Rescue Remedy and Feliway for several weeks to a few months.
However long it takes her to get comfortable in her new place. Slowly
let her explore the rest of the house as she's ready.

IMO, I would not use valium or any prescription medication on her.

Rhino[_2_] July 9th 09 04:00 PM

Helping a rescued cat with a house move

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question. I've passed your replies on
to Margot. She was very grateful for your suggestions!

--
Rhino