CatBanter

-   -   Hill's Feline S/D, Hill's Feline CD-S (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=13969)

Albert Pike October 19th 03 06:14 AM

Hill's Feline S/D, Hill's Feline CD-S

This food was prescribed for my cat who just had a urinary blockage
removed. Does anyone know if my other cat (who is in perfect health)
will develop problems if he also starts to eat the Hill's S/D and
Hill's CD-S food as well ?

Thanks.

GAUBSTER2 October 19th 03 07:25 AM

From: (Albert Pike)
Date: 10/18/03 10:14 PM Pacific Daylight Time
This food was prescribed for my cat who just had a urinary blockage
removed. Does anyone know if my other cat (who is in perfect health)
will develop problems if he also starts to eat the Hill's S/D and
Hill's CD-S food as well ?

DO NOT feed a healthy cat s/d. s/d will acidify the urine Ph and you shouldn't
risk your healthy cat developing a problem when one didn't exist previously.
Keep your healthy cat on a wellness food and your "sick" cat on the theraputic
diet prescribed.

Liz October 19th 03 01:16 PM

Did the vet send the stone or crystal to a lab to know what it was?

Liz October 19th 03 01:16 PM

Did the vet send the stone or crystal to a lab to know what it was?

Phil P. October 19th 03 11:43 PM

"Albert Pike" wrote in message
om...
This food was prescribed for my cat who just had a urinary blockage
removed. Does anyone know if my other cat (who is in perfect health)
will develop problems if he also starts to eat the Hill's S/D and
Hill's CD-S food as well ?

Thanks.

Your other cat shouldn't develop any problems from eating c/d-s because its
formulated to produce a normal urine pH. However, s/d is more acidic and
formulated to dissolve struvite and produces a much lower urine pH that can,
and most likely will, cause serious problems (e.g., calcium oxalate and
possibly acidosis) in a normal cat.

Phil

Albert Pike October 20th 03 06:23 AM

Did the vet send the stone or crystal to a lab to know what it was?

It was crystals .I believe it was a struvite - hence the struvite-
dissolution diet ?

I agree that it doesn't seem right to give a healthy cat S/D. Neither
seems to fancy the dry S/D that is left out, anyway. The only thing
the vet said was that it was OK for the healthy cat to eat S/D as long
as he did not have heart or kidney problems (which he doesn't).

Liz October 20th 03 02:10 PM

(Albert Pike) wrote in message . com...
Did the vet send the stone or crystal to a lab to know what it was?

It was crystals .I believe it was a struvite - hence the struvite-
dissolution diet ?

I agree that it doesn't seem right to give a healthy cat S/D. Neither
seems to fancy the dry S/D that is left out, anyway. The only thing
the vet said was that it was OK for the healthy cat to eat S/D as long
as he did not have heart or kidney problems (which he doesn't).

This very is interesting. Science Diet´s main marketing strategy is to
scare people about the level of phosphorus in other foods because the
cat may be in the early stages of kidney disease and this "excess
phosphorus," according to them, will add to kidney damage. So how come
is it ok to feed S/D if S/D should not be fed to a cat with kidney
problems? What if the cat *is* in the early stages of kidney disease?
How contradictory!

I think you are better off getting him on a canned diet of whatever
brand you feel is best for him than any dry food. An acidified dry
diet may result in calcium oxalate stones down the road and this would
be harder to deal with. If he is made to ingest sufficient amounts of
water, that will better prevent uroliths of any kind.