CatBanter

-   -   feed Nutro? (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14328)

Phil P. November 10th 03 10:16 PM

"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
.. .

Perhaps you could also confirm, deny and elaborate on the following as

well:

Does Nutro no long do feeding trials of the cat food products?

That's not a rumor, Joe. The label statement on Nutro products "....is
formulated to meet the nutritional levels estabĀ*lished by the AAFCO Cat Food
Nutrient Profiles for... " means feeding trials were not used to assure
nutritional adequacy (and digestibility) of the diet.

A food that bears the the label statement "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO
procedures substantiate that...." .indicates that feeding trials were used.

Does Nutro now formulate cat food based on least-cost methods?

Why was the proximate analysis of the Nutro foods remove from the
website a while back?

I think the above two are probably related. Nutro can't very well publish
proximate analyses of their diets if the nutritional values of their diets
vary from batch to batch. Still, I'd like to see their answer...

Phil

GAUBSTER2 November 10th 03 10:45 PM

From: (Tamara)

Taurine is essential for a healthy heart and Nutro is on the forefront
of current taurine research.

With all due respect here, what current research would that be? I'm not aware
that Nutro conducts any research other than in-house palatability tests?

Nutro is committed to using the best ingredients to make the best pet
foods.

Shouldn't your company be more concerned w/ limiting nutrient excesses that are
risk factors for many diseases in animals instead of being worried about what
ingredients sound good to people?

Our products are formulated based on the latest research and
scientific findings regarding dog and cat nutrition.

Is this research conducted by your company or somebody else?

When we say Natural Choice is THE BEST DOG FOOD IN
THE WORLD we mean it.

I'm sure your company believes that, but why the high phosphorus and calcium
levels in your products?

And you can be absolutely confident that by
feeding Nutro's pet foods you are providing the very best nutrition
available today for your loving pet.

I don't think so...your company is more worried about what ingredients are used
instead of the nutrient levels provided by those foods.

Joe Canuck November 11th 03 01:08 AM

Phil P. wrote:
"Joe Canuck" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Good points, different wording which most of us just glance over without
much thought.

I'm a former Nutro customer as well, and I'm not holding my breathe for
answers here but I thought I would provide the opportunity for Nutro to
provide some answers for us.

I've noted with some interest the wording on a bag of California Natural
Chicken & Rice the following text:

"California Naural Chicken & Rice Cat Food is formulated to meet the
nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (American Association of
Feed Control Officials) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages."

This now tell me two things: That California Natural is not testing via
a feed trial and that it meets the higher growth AAFCO standards for
growth & reproduction. In other words queens & kittens. It is basically
a one size fits all formulation.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Paulette November 11th 03 01:44 AM

Why quote a study on DOGS ,when these are cat owners on this group?
Forgive my ignorance.