CatBanter

-   -   color of cat's mouth (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=12034)

Joe Diamond July 2nd 03 08:19 AM

color of cat's mouth

I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
pinkish?

Hilden Pickering July 2nd 03 10:09 AM

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:19:48 GMT, "Joe Diamond"
wrote:

I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
pinkish?

It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

Cathy Friedmann July 2nd 03 02:04 PM

"Joe Diamond" wrote in message
I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone

know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the

upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is

more
pinkish?

Yes, the tissue can have darker pigmentation in various areas of their
mouths. There may be darker spots & blotches on the roof of the mouth, on
the lips, wherever. Also on the skin you might sometimes see this - where
the fur may be sparser, like in front of the ears; or they may have dark
splodges on the pads of their otherwise pink paws.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Rene July 2nd 03 03:35 PM

wrote:

I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
pinkish?

It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

Yes, I agree. My tabby and white has sort of a "speckled" brown and
white roof of his mouth.

Rene

Cathy Friedmann July 2nd 03 03:49 PM

"Yngver" wrote in message
Joe Diamond" wrote:

I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone

know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the

upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is

more
pinkish?

I think it partly depends on the coloration of the cat. Our cat that is

blue
cream, which is a dilute tortoiseshell, has some spotting on the inside of

her
mouth just as she does on the rest of her. Our white cat's mouth is solid

pink
with no variation in color, just as her skin is solid colored.

One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

Yngver July 2nd 03 06:02 PM

Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.

Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
dogs.