CatBanter

-   -   torn (http://www.catbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14687)

keshcatlvr November 21st 03 04:26 PM

torn

I have two 1-1/2 year old indoor male altered cats, Mazik and Nudnik.
Six months ago I sold my 2 br condo and moved into a 1 br apartment.
We are allowed one animal. I still have my two.

But Mazik is going crazy here. He is climbing the walls, literally. He
is jumping up onto the door jambs, knock over pictures from the book
shelves, leaping up to look out the peep hole, howling at the door,
etc. at 5:30 am.

I think the space is too small for him. Or for us. I have several
different toys that I keep hidden and take out alternately to play
with for diversion. Doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm torn because I've had him since baby-hood. But I find myself
feeling angry at him too.

I've been in animal rescue. I know what the deal is out there. I'm
torn.

Please, if you are going to yell at me and tell me I am a BAD PERSON,
don't bother replying. I just want REAL suggestions.

thanks.

kaeli November 21st 03 04:55 PM

In article ,
enlightened us with...

Please, if you are going to yell at me and tell me I am a BAD PERSON,
don't bother replying. I just want REAL suggestions.

Have you considered training him to leash and harness and taking him out
for walks? He'd get more exercise, stimulation, and the joy of chasing
bugs. LOL

My Rowan would go stir crazy if I didn't take her out.

--
~kaeli~
A man needs a mistress... just to break the monogamy.

PawsForThought November 21st 03 05:51 PM

From: (keshcatlvr)

Please, if you are going to yell at me and tell me I am a BAD PERSON,
don't bother replying. I just want REAL suggestions.

Get a floor to ceiling cat tree. I have a couple of them. I also have a
utility cart in front of a big window so they can look out and then I have a
bird feeder in front of that window. Get some interactive toys like feather on
a stick toys and play with the cats.
________
See my cats:
http://community.webshots.com/album/56955940rWhxAe

Joe Canuck November 21st 03 06:18 PM

keshcatlvr wrote:
[...]

Consider enriching his environment...

Create a couple of perches where he can look out different windows.

Buy some SonoTube and create little tunnels for him to crawl around in.

Consider getting a drinking fountain with running water.

Install weatherstripping of some sort around the door to minimize the
noise coming in from the hallway.

Consider getting some additional cat furniture or perhaps making high
walkways or perches for him to enjoy.

Perhaps give him more of your own attention, play with him when you can

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck